PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Stream HD Movies Instantly with VUDU Application – Available Today

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Nov 23, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

Last week, we announced a partnership with VUDU that will bring you the ability to stream thousands of movies straight from the cloud to your PlayStation 3. Today, that announcement becomes reality as the VUDU application launches in the United States on PlayStation Network. VUDU delivers a cinema-quality movie experience in the comfort of your home theater, complete with full 1080p HD with 5.1 Dolby Digital Plus sound, and video on-demand without downloading. No subscription is necessary to browse their library of more than 4,000 HD movies, including many new releases the same day they are released to DVD and Blu-ray. The movies are available on-demand and you only pay for the movies that you watch. Also, when you sign up for a VUDU account, you will receive a $5.99 credit on your account for one free HD rental.

Check out the video walkthrough:

The VUDU app adds to the vast amount of entertainment available through PlayStation Network, including movies and TV shows via Netflix and Hulu Plus as well as live sports with MLB.tv and NHL GameCenter LIVE.

To download the free VUDU app, go to the media category in the PlayStation Store. Once downloaded, the app will appear under the video icon in your XMB. Also – VUDU recently unveiled their new UI, VUDU 2.0, at a recent press event, and if you download the app, it will automatically refresh on your PS3 when it launches next month. VUDU 2.0 will also offer PlayStation Move compatibility for easy to use motion control navigation.

117 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ ElCapitanAmerica on November 23rd, 2010 at 4:48 pm said:

Just tried the app, it’s worth it alone just for the trailers. The quality is amazing!

+ bilgin123 on November 23rd, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

i just logged on to psn store and i couldn’t see it at all, and yes im not stupid, I do live in the us and i did go to the media section, it was not there :(

+ Doeme on November 23rd, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

What about the availability of VUDU and all the other Movie Streaming apps outside US? Any comments on that?

+ Samus4145 on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:15 pm said:

Tried renting Scott Pilgrim tonight. Ran the stream test and it showed I should have rented a HDX, but I choose HD anyway since I don’t have 1080p. It constantly buffered every 5 seconds. I switched to SD and it didn’t have an issue. I don’t understand if the test worked out perfectly why it wouldn’t stream in HD.

+ mustbehiggy on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:20 pm said:

Okay, I’m not tooooo bothered about this feature coming to Canada – but it would be good. I AM HOWEVER!!!! …. upset with the fact that Canada gets theeeee crapest Netflix EVER!

Everything you search for is “unavailable” but it’s available in the states a mere 20minute drive from my house – and for some odd reason I could watch the movie I want to see. However, I’m 20minutes north of the USA border which means.. I’m not cool enough to watch this movie.

Anyone know WHY some/most of the shows/movies on netflix are not available in Canada but they are in the US?

+ CONTRABAND on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

The quality is nice, but the price is a lil high for the HDX stream. will be keeping my netflix account for sure.

+ B1GG1N on November 23rd, 2010 at 6:49 pm said:

I’m very impressed with the depth of detail available through the interface. Well done Sony.

+ AmeanAF on November 23rd, 2010 at 7:31 pm said:

There are so many services for the PS3; Netflix, Hulu, Playstation Store, and now Vudu. I believe Vudu should have movies that are still in theatres, that will be the best thing for Vudu, Sony, Playstation, everybody.

+ JacobeAbam on November 23rd, 2010 at 8:55 pm said:

hey give an answer does pandora radio work on ps3 beside vudu has pandora on as an app.

+ BlazeKush420 on November 23rd, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

Not in Canada right? Or UK. Or Japan or anywhere but U.S
Get out of your Box.
And if it doesnt have Subtitles I would rather buy a Blu ray then rent anyways

+ Missingno on November 23rd, 2010 at 11:35 pm said:

I still wonder, when Switzerland/Europe will finally get access to the movie store :D
US AND Canada really can be happy…

+ rmjb on November 24th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

When will this come to Trinidad and Tobago?

+ rjejr on November 24th, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

This is a great app front end, I like it even better than Netflix or Hulu on the PS3 or PC. Alas, when I ran the stream test it put me at 1.5 which is only good for SD, so I won’t bother. I am running wired and usually stream HD from Netflix and Hulu so I don’t know what the problem was, maybe it was a timing issue with the release?

+ lordbah on November 24th, 2010 at 8:09 pm said:

App wants an email address for the free HD rental, but then it doesn’t recognize the Bluetooth keyboard. Hope they get that fixed soon.

+ STERIODPLATANOS on December 1st, 2010 at 8:33 am said:

vudu is awesome and the fact that it streams hd movies is even better considering hulu and netflix dont stream hd movies. What I dont like is the fact that you have to pay for each movie you want to watch. Maybe if you guys came out with a subscription for vudu that’ll make things way better. For now I’ll just watch movies online.

+ magicianrm on December 5th, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Tried VUDU on my PS3 the last few days, just watching trailers. No matter what quality setting I use, and the internal suggestion for my broadband speed was HDX, I experience video stuttering and occasional buffering pauses that don’t occur with Netflix. I want to like VUDU, but it’s not working well enough for me.

PAGE 1 2 3