PlayStation Music

Nov 28

The Drop: Week of Nov 29th 2010 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Nov 28, 2010 // Senior Social Media Specialist

That sound you’ve been hearing all week of thousands of boulders barreling down outside your window is actually me rolling up and down my apartment after feasting on a Rubenstein-cooked Thanksgiving meal. Who knew Jeff could single-handedly cook a mean turkey and carry a high score on Dead Nation. For an acquired taste and an appetite for brains (with a side of cranberry sauce), the PlayStation Network delivers a city full of undead zombies seasoned to perfection in the highly anticipated title, Dead Nation. Could you ask for a better way to ring in the holidays?

We’re only a few weeks shy of wrapping up another amazing year for PlayStation 3, which begs the question — what were your favorite gaming moments or titles to drop in 2010, and what would you like to see from team PlayStation in the new year? Discuss in the comments while you check out this week’s The Drop!

PSN: Dead Nation

PlayStation Network

Dead Nation — Sometime in the not-too-distant future, a deadly virus is once again sweeping the globe, infecting everyone in its path and killing off almost all the human race. To the horror of the survivors, the dead have begun rising from the grave, hell-bent on feeding on the living and wiping out mankind for good. But, just as it seems all is lost, a small pocket of survivors emerges, determined to take back the world from the undead.

(PS Blog Coverage: Dead Nation – Turning Up The Heat)

Funky Lab Rat (Demo Available & PlayStation Move Compatible) — Become a super-powered rat and escape from lab captivity in Funky Lab Rat. To make your exciting escape, you can stop time and rearrange 81 levels in 10 worlds thanks to the PlayStation Move motion controller or a DualShock 3 wireless controller.

PS3: Deadliest Catch: Seas of Chaos

PlayStation 3

Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos — Capturing the drama and excitement of the Discovery Channel’s Emmy-winning TV series Deadliest Catch, this game challenges players to take on the world’s toughest job, crab fishing. Deadliest Catch: Sea of Chaos combines strategy and action as players chart a course through the unforgiving Bering Sea on a quest for Opilio and King Crab.

Nail’d — Nail’d is a racing game that is all about eschewing boring realism for over the top arcade fun. It’s a racer that challenges everything from player reflexes through to the rules of physics. Riding on ATVs and motocross bikes with powerful boost controls, players will race down near-vertical courses of incredible jumps, stunts and obstacles.

Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition — A sci-fi action RPG from acclaimed developer Gearbox, Borderlands combines the best in first-person action with player customization and vehicular combat for incredible layers of gameplay depth. Borderlands Game of the Year Edition includes tokens for Claptrap’s New Robot Revolution, The Zombie Island of Dr. Ned, Mad Moxxi’s Underdome Riot, and The Secret Armory of General Knoxx.

Psone JP: Blockids

PSone Japan Imports

Blockids — Choose one of eight cartoon characters and bounce, blast and batter your way past an array of formidable, fortress-like block barriers in Natsume’s revolutionary 3-D twist on an arcade classic.

Dezaemon Plus — Dezaemon is a shooter fanatics dream with the ability to create your very own waves of enemy vessels on short circuit, bosses that put the fear back in the word, cavernous tunnels at breakneck speeds accomplished without the Yaroze development tool.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

PAGE 1 2

+ digitalman123 on November 29th, 2010 at 3:08 pm said:

Is anything worthwhile coming in December Rey? ‘Cause I don’t know anything ’bout it.

+ retro25 on November 29th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

HEY, I seen PSone Imports already. What about our PSone classics, I’ve been waiting for my favorites for a long time here.-_-

+ digitalman123 on November 29th, 2010 at 3:19 pm said:

Mmmmmmmmm. Turkey and cranberry sauce. Yum.

+ Spacerac on November 29th, 2010 at 4:29 pm said:

One last idea. I think that a “security question” feature should be integrated to the parental control system, so that a child can’t easily look up the instructions to bypass them. Your password could only be reset with the answer to “your first pet, school, girl/boyfriend” etc, that kind of thing. This way at least the PS3 won’t come up in “it’s easy to bypass parental control” debates with violent video game opponents/opponents of video games in general.

+ Austinwoowoo02 on November 29th, 2010 at 5:13 pm said:

does any body know when gran turaismo 5 comes out one of my friends told me next year.

+ keniken on November 29th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

@76 – “gran turaismo 5″…isnt that for your Xbox….lol.
However PD just released GT4 HD, the collectors edition comes with a free pencil to poke yourself in the eye with…..

+ bh7812 on November 29th, 2010 at 7:58 pm said:

Rey, I’d like to make a last minute suggestion for something the PSN team could look into doing all of us loyal fans as a Christmas present. I’d like the team to look into getting Suikoden 2 up onto PSN for the December 21st update, please. I’ve asked for some PSN cards for Christmas and that would be a definite guarantee I’d use the cards sooner rather than later as it would many others I’m sure. Please, so many people should be able to experience this game. It’s one of the VERY FEW games that lives up to all the hype and people shouldn’t need to shell out 150 plus bucks just to experience it. Konami was pleased with the sales of S1 on PSN and they’re more than willing so I think that would be a great Xmas present for all of us!

+ SuperTiso on November 29th, 2010 at 8:01 pm said:

Why is Borderlands GOTY on that list?

+ GUNBEHINDTHESUN on November 30th, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

Not to be mean Rey, but your picture makes me not want to come to this blog. Have you seen the picture of you on here?

+ Trixzter7 on November 30th, 2010 at 12:02 pm said:

Meh, nothing really good this week.
But doesn’t even matter, I’m too busy now playing Gran Turismo 5!

+ FATHASUN on November 30th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

+ frogmanmike14 on November 28th, 2010 at 8:44 pm said:

Could PS3 be getting any old school fighting games soon? Such as Dark Stalkers or The King of Fighters 2002 Unlimited Match?

+ I3rand0 on November 28th, 2010 at 9:02 pm said:

I’ve got an updated list of missing games from the My Trophies page:

Castlevania: LoS
Crescent Pale Mist
Fist of the North Star: Ken’s Rage
Magic the Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX
Rock Band 3
Scott Pilgrim vs The World: The Game
Sengoku Basara
Space Invaders Infinity Gene
Star Ocean 4
Sports Champions

+ Squall9126 on November 28th, 2010 at 9:25 pm said:

too many great moments to list but i can tell you what i want next year, either a remake of, or a sequel to the classic PS1 game Legend of Dragoon. still one of my all time faves and i still have an original copy but it gets pretty pixelated when i try to play on my big screen. this would be awesome.

+ ccanfield1 on November 28th, 2010 at 9:51 pm said:

-Move controls updates for games like Call of Duty Black Ops and 3D updates for games such as Resident Evil 5.
-Adapt more games like Dead Space Extraction to the PS3, looking forward to No More Heroes also.
-HD and 3D updates to older games (ie. God of War Collection and Prince of Persia) are great.
-Keep adding features like Netflix and NHL Gamecenter.
-Free movie downloads with Playstation Plus.
-Thank you so much for adding a Rewards Program.
Looking forward to an even better 2011. Thanks Sony.

+ MetalGearCrysis on November 28th, 2010 at 10:22 pm said:

Isn’t the Borderlands: Game of the Year Edition already available? I have my copy right here.

Dead Nation is a buy for me. I wonder how Deadliest Catch plays?

#34, #41 I3rand0 brings up a good point. It’s annoying to not have the game show up until months later if it shows up at all.

+ Spacerac on November 28th, 2010 at 10:24 pm said:

My favorite moment this year was finally getting a PlayStation 3 and experiencing current-gen gaming for the first time (without matches of multiplayer games at other places) through inFamous. I guess it’d be pretty understandable why I’d be so floored.
What I’d like to see from PlayStation next year? I hope that first and foremost, the rumored backwards compatibility adapter for the PS3 Slims is a reality. It’s so much fun playing PS2 games without needing memory cards. I’d also like to see if maybe the original PS1 Klonoa: Door to Phantomile game could make it to PSN even though it’s out on another console, so that Klonoa could get more brand exposure. I’d like to see HD Collections of the original four Ratchet and Clank games, the original four Jak and Daxter games, and of the three main series Ape Escape games. I would like for Ape Escape 1 on that collection to have it’s PSP counterpart’s advanced graphics but to retain the original control style and Galaxy Monkey minigame. I’d especially make sure I bought Ape Escape Collection on it’s first day since it doesn’t have quite the brand recognition the other games do. Hopefully I’ve got some good and feasible ideas here. :)

+ nycballa417 on November 28th, 2010 at 10:28 pm said:

I’m tired and fed up with playstation. I cant even post a share idea, yet I managed to spend money to become a premium member. I feel robbed left and right, and they can’t even do the things that fans want or start reading the share blog. I keep my hopes high but how long do fans have to wait for what they want? I guess things will never change until a larger group of people starts to share my feelings, but things probably wont even change then if over 20,000 people can approve an idea and playstation cant make that idea happen. Pathetic.

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on November 28th, 2010 at 10:30 pm said:

Ore no Ryouri for the Japan Imports PLLLLEEEEAAAASSSSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Fenrir2606 on November 28th, 2010 at 10:38 pm said:

Hey kick their butts and tell them to release updates that do not involve video delivery services and photo apps! We have more than enough of those now. BTW Qriocity music does not count. Avatar integration, real social network support (for those that like it) Update the browser and give us cross-game chat! No I will not post in share because that is useless. Come on guys, kick some Japanese VP butt and tell them NA support is important and we do not like the same things they do!

+ nycballa417 on November 28th, 2010 at 10:39 pm said:

+ jimmyfoxhound on November 28th, 2010 at 11:03 pm said:

spank Polyphony Digital for releasing a half finished, thrown together game after 6 years… >:(

+ anees1213 on November 29th, 2010 at 2:21 am said:

@rey killzone 3 should come with a demo in which you can play with the move

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on November 29th, 2010 at 9:42 am said:

Killzone 3 has Move support out of the box. Are you asking for a demo of K3 that includes Move support?

+ scooter1265 on November 29th, 2010 at 4:37 am said:

I agree 100%, but I don’t think Rey has any control(no pun intended) over that. That’s up to Guerrilla Studios.

+ banok on November 29th, 2010 at 4:40 am said:

OMGOMGOMGOMG!!! Dead Nation is almost here! And i might buy Funky Lab Rat also, I liked the demo! But I’m mostly here for Dead Nation baby! ^.^

+ dlhdav7 on November 29th, 2010 at 4:46 am said:

i found out that i’m addicted to this blog !!!!! don’t you ever take the weekend off !! all weekend i would log on and all i would see is that stupid turkey !!! LOL !!! i need help !!!!

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on November 29th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

No turkey is stupid. I don’t eat stupid. =D

+ Midgetguy on November 29th, 2010 at 6:08 am said:

I’m loving everything Playstation has done this past year. As for the upcoming year…

I’m definately looking forward to more support for the PSP Go, as well as more creative uses of the Playstation Move being realized in new games! (I’m VERY excited to see what some more Indie Developers can do with the Move!) Also, I’m excited about Dead Space 2! Also, I’m hoping to hear some news from Naughty Dog about Uncharted 3? This past year was amazing, and it’s not even over yet! And, knowing Playstation, 2011 is going to be EVEN BETTER!

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on November 29th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

Move creative uses with the Move? Totally agree. Exciting times.

+ Berae on November 29th, 2010 at 6:40 am said:

Dead nation this week!!!!!

I want to see some updates for games coming out soon like Portal 2 and The sorcery.

I want some new features for PS3 like be able to change PSN name, something is wrong with messages too and some more.

New announcements are always welcome too!

+ Seiven on November 29th, 2010 at 6:48 am said:

My birthday is tomorrow and I will be picking up Dead Nation to celebrate as soon as the update hits. =)

+ Crusader8463 on November 29th, 2010 at 7:07 am said:

More turn based strategy games! Since the 2nd game in the series is not backwards compatible with my 80 GB PS3, I would love to see the ps2 Disgaea games get a collection done up like the Sly games did.

Honestly though, I would literally kill to see a Front Mission bundle where they bundle all the Front Mission games from 1-4 into one box. Doesn’t even need to be updated in HD, thought that would be awesome, for me to buy it. Just do whatever programming voodoo joo joo that needs to be done to make it work.

+ Morgus on November 29th, 2010 at 8:51 am said:

Rey, we need more HD collections of PS2 games.
Kingdom Hearts collection, Final Fantasy remasters, etc.
Get the ball rolling on this.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on November 29th, 2010 at 9:43 am said:

I agree. I’m sure the wizards of HD have more up their sleeve.

+ k1ngsnak3 on November 29th, 2010 at 8:59 am said:

Dead Nation, done and done. that’s been on the “gotta buy when it drops” list.

PAGE 1 2