PS4-The Order

Alien Breed 2: Assault Hits PSN on Tuesday with Short, Controlled Bursts

John Dennis's Avatar + Posted by John Dennis on Dec 03, 2010 // Head of Design, Team17 Software Ltd.

With Alien Breed 2: Assault launching on the U.S. PlayStation Store on Tuesday December 7th, we’d like to share a handy list of things you may not know about the game. If you have questions, ask away in the comments below!

1. It’s the direct follow-up to the PSN game Alien Breed: Impact. What’s more, it’s the middle entry in a trilogy of downloadable PS3 titles that reinvent Alien Breed, a series which has roots dating back to 1991. The game is an action-packed top-down science fiction shooter where you must conserve ammo, scavenge for gear, and upgrade your arsenal to survive against a vast alien threat.
  2. We’ve added a new Survivor mode. This can be played in single-player or in two-player co-op (online or local), and you must resist endless waves of intense alien horde attacks in specifically designed arena environments. Get competitive and compete on the Survivor leader-boards!
  3. Survivor Mode hits and tips: Before playing Survivor, take some time in the single player mode to learn the layout of the map. It’s also crucial to keep moving, as you’ll be overrun by aliens quickly if you stay still. Good communication is the key to survival: Decide who will focus on what weapons and try to catch the aliens in a crossfire. If you are both very low on health, a “tactical death” may work in your teams’ best interest, especially if you manage to time it between alien waves.

Alien Breed 2: Assault for PS3 (PSN)

4. The game’s exhilarating new set pieces will get your pulse racing. Fight the breed through the new vertical climb section and teach those pesky aliens a lesson with the destructive mounted gun. It’s an absolute blast!
  5. The breed have multiplied. Translation: there are new enemies to conquer, amongst them the Webber alien and dramatic new boss battles, although I can’t say much as I don’t want to spoil the surprise.
  6. You’ll need devastating new firepower. Luckily you’ll be able to arm yourself with some awesome new weaponry such as the Hyper Blaster, a highly destructive chain-gun, and the Rocket Launcher, with which you can simply blow the horde away!
  7. Alien Breed 2: Assault for PS3 (PSN) Alien Breed 2: Assault for PS3 (PSN)

8. Theodore Conrad returns. In the single-player game, you’ll take control of Chief Engineer Conrad as he battles his way through the mysterious spacecraft Leopold – the very same ship that is responsible for the alien menace currently terrorizing Conrad’s own vessel! In this episode, you’ll travel deeper into the dark heart of the alien ship. It’s a pretty unpleasant place to be.
  9. Two-player co-op play also returns. In addition to the new two-player co-op Survivor mode, there is also a two-player co-operative play mode (online or local) in which players must work together to defeat the alien horde. Co-op takes place across specially customised assault maps for two players, with a separate narrative that crosses over with the single-player experience.
  10. Yes, there’s a Platinum Trophy. For those PSN ‘Trophy hunters’ amongst you…..there are actually 31 Trophies available within this game – including a Platinum trophy!
  11. It’s easy on the wallet. “Alien Breed 2: Assault” will be available at a great new price – $9.99.
  12. There’s more to come. If you survive the assault, look for Alien Breed 3: Descent to finish the trilogy early next year!

Alien Breed 2: Assault for the PS3 hits the U.S. PlayStation Store on Tuesday, December 7th for $9.99.

PAGE 1 2

+ LumarQQ on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:09 am said:

Looks decent. Will give it a try maybe…

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

Thanks, that is good to hear!

+ Ashimbo on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:11 am said:

Soungs great. For $10, I’m down.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

And again, thanks for the nice comment!

+ marllow on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:12 am said:

I liked the first one but haven’t finished it yet. Will there be a PS Plus discount this time?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:14 pm said:

Sorry not at this moment.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:21 am said:

Nothing planned for a PS+ discount at this time sorry.

+ nikrel on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:25 am said:

Is there a big difference between the first and second?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:28 am said:

Hi – it continues the story that begins in the first game, and as the post above describes, the new Survivor mode is a great new addition, especially in 2-player co-op, and the new weapons, enemies and set pieces add a lot too in our opinion.

+ Ziemi on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:26 am said:

“There’s more to come. If you survive the assault, look for Alien Breed 3: Descent to finish the trilogy early next year!”

Does that mean there is a possibility of a 3v1 bundle?(;]) If so, then yes please! ^,^

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:29 am said:

Nothing to confirm as yet but agree it would make sense to do a trilogy pack somehow!

+ wolvyfactor on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

It’s weird to see this coming out so close together when 1 and 2 took almost 9 months on the 360. I’ve personally played through all 3 and can say it’s a worth while adventure, a bit tedious but spread out they are fun little games.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

Thanks, glad you enjoyed them!

+ Arcadian_Rebel on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:31 am said:

Looks good! Will there be a demo?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

Thanks – there will be a demo/trial, just trying to lock down when it will go live, will probably be a few weeks after launch now.

+ teradome on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:33 am said:

Now that we’ve learned from Dead Nation that it HAS to be asked (sigh) — voice chat in 2P online co-op? Y or N

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:47 am said:

Just double checking this, please bear with me!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:51 am said:

Hi, just to confirm, there is indeed voice chat for Alien Breed 2: Assault.

+ arbdef on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

Hmm i think I still have my amiga copy somewhere….Maybe you could have a secret character like a super frog? Or how about a sheep launcher ? Ahh hell I’ll prob drop some money for the game :)

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:43 am said:

Hi, thanks, no SuperFrog or Sheep cameos I am afraid, but thanks for the kind words!

+ BlindsideDork on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:36 am said:

I played enough to beat Alien Breed: Impact and was a little skeptical of the second but since it is $10, I’ll for sure bite!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

Thanks, pretty sure you will enjoy how the story progresses and also Survivor mode too!

+ myvgratings on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

I never had a chance to play Alien Breed at all. I should get this for Christmas, check out the next best thing on gaming ( http://www.myvgratings.com/blog ) and enjoy :-).

+ TallCrowe on December 3rd, 2010 at 9:57 am said:

It looks nice enough.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

Thanks!

+ JKar275 on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:03 am said:

I’ve played Alien Breed 2 on another console & it is well worth the price. Congratulations on a job well done, Team 17!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

Much appreciated, thanks!

+ xeno3d on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

Alien Breed. One of may favorite games from the Amiga days. Will definitely be buying this!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:05 pm said:

Glad to hear that!

+ VectorRaven on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:08 am said:

I may just give this ago. I’m a big Aliens fan and this looks to fit the bill just right.Also reminds me a StarCraft a bit.
Hope we have voice chat.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Just double checking on the voice chat, will confirm as soon as I can!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:52 am said:

Hi – just to confirm, there is voice chat.

+ FredPunella on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:15 am said:

Junk. Pass.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Sorry you think that.

+ stlthriot on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

Bought Impact so definitely gonna check this one out!
And, the price point is even better! Even after the PSN+ discount on the first! :D

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

Glad to hear you liked Impact.

+ lebronjc on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

bundle part 1 and 2 together please, or lower the price for part 1. The $15 price point even with my ps+ discount made it not worth it. please.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:16 pm said:

As I mentioned in other replies, the pricing of Impact (part 1) is indeed currently being looked at.

+ Gorvi on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:38 am said:

So is the price of Alien Breed: Impact going to drop down to $9.99 as well? I was little surprised to see it come out for $14.99, and ended up not buying it because of that even though I enjoyed the demo.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

We are currently looking at the pricing of Impact, will update as soon as we can confirm anything.

+ Moosehole on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:44 am said:

Hey just stopping by to let you know that I LOVED the first game and will definitely be picking this one up on Tuesday… Thanks for the cheaper price point as well! Looking forward to Alien Breed 3!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:28 am said:

Thanks for that, really happy to hear that you loved Impact!

+ Moosehole on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

@Teradome

Alien Breed: Impact had voice chat so it’s safe to assume this does as well.

Love me some Alien Breed!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:53 am said:

Thanks – there is voice chat like in Impact.

+ Lord_Rinja on December 3rd, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

Wow, that was quick. I could have sworn it was just yesterday when Alien Breed Impact came out. I played Impact and although I did not play any of the Alien Breed games before that, I have to say that this game reminds of Sega’s Arcade Classic, Alien Syndrome which is definitely refreshing in this day and age. I just recently picked up Dead Nation and I noticed that your game plays similar to that. I may just have to pick this one up. Keep up the good work and can we get some PS Home Rewards support for this title?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:09 pm said:

Thanks, glad to hear that! Not sure about Home Rewards support though.

+ HunodrsinSCE on December 3rd, 2010 at 11:49 am said:

Alien Breed: Impact going to drop down to $9.99 as well?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:10 pm said:

As I said above, it is something that we are looking at potentially.

+ mikedo2007 on December 3rd, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

Nice to see this game coming to PS3. Can I ask you a question Team17? Have you guys ever been approach by 20th century Fox or SEGA to do a Alien video game? You guys were influenced by that series and I thought why don’t you guys do a video game based on that series? It would be nice to see an Alien video game from you guys?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

Thanks – and no we haven’t, SEGA are doing their own games with the Aliens license.

+ plaztiksyke on December 3rd, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Looks really awesome, will be getting this and the third entry. I love episodic series that have a overarching arc for the “season”, with good characters, dialogue/voice acting, and story.
May you could do something similar for an HD re-make of Nightlong: Union City Conspiracy?

I think it’s great to charge $10 apiece for parts 2 and 3 (and 4, please?), but keep the first episode at $15.

It would be nice if the third episode onwards used the updated Unreal engine we’ve been seeing in the videos of Bulletstorm. Some of the lighting, environmental, and camera effects are simply amazing.

Keep up the awesome work!

PS: when do PS3 players get the original Lemmings levels remade like the PSP version of Lemmings?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

Again, thanks for the positive comments, much appreciated!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

If you want to stay up to date with all our Alien Breed news and updates, you could follow us on our Facebook page maybe?

Thanks

+ MetalGearCrysis on December 3rd, 2010 at 1:59 pm said:

That was pretty quick. Still haven’t played the first one although I picked it up.

+ Selectbutton on December 3rd, 2010 at 2:19 pm said:

Gonna have to buy part 1 and the sequel this month.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

Good stuff, hope you enjoy them!

+ adolson on December 3rd, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Can’t believe anyone out there could call this “junk.” The same people probably bought Dead Nation, which is basically just Alien Breed mixed with Zombie Apocalypse, minus voice chat, plus copy-protected game saves.

I’ll buy this, probably on day one, but I still haven’t finished the first one because I’ve been playing it on Elite difficulty (I usually just play on normal, but something compelled me to start it on Elite, I dunno why) in spurts here and there. I plan to finish it sometime. The Plus discount was appreciated. It reminds me more of an overhead Dead Space (minus limb-stomping and stasis) than even the old Amiga version (based on videos I’ve seen, I don’t think I played it back in the day). And that’s a good thing, too. I liked Dead Space a lot.

Please don’t copy-protect the game saves on this one, either. Backing up my progress is more appreciated than a PlayStation Plus discount.

I don’t even know why Sony allows devs to restrict us from backing up the hours/days/weeks we spend in games… Pretty stupid, really.

Anyhow. I shall buy it.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 3:56 pm said:

Thanks! Hope you enjoy it.

+ adolson on December 3rd, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

my comments aren’t appearing. I don’t know what’s up with the site today.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 3rd, 2010 at 3:11 pm said:

Can read this fine.

+ lordErk on December 3rd, 2010 at 3:58 pm said:

Sweet!

+ gettinmoney662 on December 3rd, 2010 at 4:13 pm said:

Nice, I thought the first game was really fun and the sequel for even cheaper? I’m in!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:31 am said:

Thanks for that, good to hear!

+ adolson on December 3rd, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

@Mark, my comment (#31) did not appear, and I tried to post it a second time, and it didn’t go either, at which point I made the comment in #32. I refreshed the page several times.. It didn’t show up whatsoever, not even with a “Your comment is pending moderation” which is weird. Anyhow, it’s there now. You replied to it. All good. :)

+ Mark Baldwin on December 4th, 2010 at 2:37 am said:

Ok glad we’re all good now.

+ supvic on December 3rd, 2010 at 5:34 pm said:

PLEASE add a 4 player mode, local and/or online.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:32 am said:

Sorry but it has been designed specifically for 2-player and this wouldnt be possible.

+ jimmyfoxhound on December 3rd, 2010 at 6:28 pm said:

The first one was a great game and I will definitely be picking this up!!!!

+ Spores_ on December 3rd, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

Will Alien Breed 2 have trophies?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 4th, 2010 at 2:38 am said:

It does indeed, this is actually mentioned in the blog post text above, point 8:

‘Yes, there’s a Platinum Trophy. For those PSN ‘Trophy hunters’ amongst you…..there are actually 31 Trophies available within this game – including a Platinum trophy!’

+ JoeDierte on December 3rd, 2010 at 8:43 pm said:

I loved the first one and can’t wait to play the next. Thank you and keep up the good work!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:32 am said:

You are welcome, hope you enjoy Assault then!

+ XxDannZxX on December 3rd, 2010 at 10:37 pm said:

cannot wait for this one, may not have finished the first one yet but it these types of games are just awesome, they are the closest thing to what i love to play… right now i’m working on dead nation but tuesday marks the day i put dead nation to rest for about a week or so… can’t wait for the 3rd one though!!! i want the trilogy!!! psn needs more of these top down games, maybe some like diablo, more of a rpg element instead of all shooters… but still keep these bad boys coming!!!

+ Fenrisulfr_ on December 3rd, 2010 at 11:51 pm said:

Your first game was fantastic. Looking forward to this next installment.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 4th, 2010 at 2:40 am said:

Thanks for that, am sure you will enjoy Assault then.

+ BlazeKush420 on December 4th, 2010 at 7:35 am said:

Any chance we will see Alien Breed 1/2 on a blu ray disc?

Or any PSN games on Disc. I like my games on disc.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

Not planned at the moment I am afraid.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 4th, 2010 at 9:18 am said:

please add PSN+ sale 20% discount first week!!!
and count me on this one too.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:33 am said:

Hi, there are no plans for a PSN+ promotion at the moment.

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 4th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

btw. the video preview when you enter the canon blaster! omg! i cant wait! lol

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:34 am said:

Thanks – the mounted gun section is indeed great fun, an absolute blast to play, hope you enjoy it!

+ XvNamdeadvX on December 4th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

Awesome, I loved the first one and was very curious when the second one was coming. I saw that they are available for Xbox and PC.

+ crazyslimz on December 4th, 2010 at 3:54 pm said:

hey great job on the graphics and the price. i was wandering how long is the story mode campaign?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:35 am said:

Thanks – the single-player story mode in Assault takes between 5-7 hours to play through, depending of course of difficulty level and player ability.

+ gilgamesh21 on December 4th, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

I guess I missed my chance Mark, but if you happen to look at this post again; are there any differences between this version and the Xbox 360 version? Are there modes included in the PS3 that aren’t in the x360 version?

Thanks!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 6th, 2010 at 6:36 am said:

Hi, sorry for the delay in responding to your question – the games are essentially the same, and there are no new modes for the PS3 version.

+ gilgamesh21 on December 6th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

Hi Mark, no problem, thanks for responding! I’ve really been enjoying these games. Have a great week!

+ Mark Baldwin on December 7th, 2010 at 1:53 am said:

Thanks, you too!

+ Lopan on December 6th, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

I still haven’t played the first one yet.

+ Mark Baldwin on December 7th, 2010 at 1:53 am said:

Maybe check out the trial first to see if you like it?

+ Joe_W-UK on December 6th, 2010 at 9:37 pm said:

Hi, Alien Breed: Impact is my fav PSN game, I love it but here in the UK the sequel isn’t released. Any news on when we will get it?

+ Mark Baldwin on December 7th, 2010 at 1:54 am said:

Thanks! Alien Breed 2: Assault is released in Europe on Wednesday 8th December.

PAGE 1 2