Far Cry 4

echochrome ii Coming to PSN on December 21!

Kumi Yuasa's Avatar + Posted by Kumi Yuasa on Dec 06, 2010 // Producer, SCEA

Wow, it’s been some time since our last game update so I am very excited to announce that echochrome ii will be available for your holiday gaming pleasure on December 21st! And if you’re already enjoying PlayStation Move and our vast library of Move titles, then echochrome ii will be a great addition to your collection.

If you didn’t see my last post and are curious as to what echochrome ii is all about, it’s a unique puzzle game using the PlayStation Move motion controller to shine a light on a series of blocks and objects to create realistic shadows on the wall. The blocks and objects you see in each level will cast different shadows depending on your movement so as you alter the perspective and angles by adjusting this light source, you will manipulate the shadows they cast to ultimately reveal a solution to the puzzle and guide your character to the exit. You can check out some actual gameplay in the video above.

echochrome ii for PS3 (PSN)

Once you check out the game for yourself I think you’ll enjoy how it uses PlayStation Move in this rather unique and original way. The best way to think of it is to treat the controller like a flashlight that you shine on these objects to manipulate the shadow within the scenery—this is actually one of the ideas that helped the dev team come up with the concept.

echochrome ii has 100 built in levels and there are three different ways to enjoy each one. Navigating the character to the goal by creating a shadow path is called “escort” mode. Additionally, there is “echo” mode and “paint” mode. In “echo” mode, the objective is to collect the ghost-looking characters called “echo.” You will see a few of them in each level, so collect them all to clear the stage.

echochrome ii for PS3 (PSN)

In “paint” mode, the characters are colored in red, green, or blue. When the characters walk, they will color any blocks that are creating the shadows they’re walking on. A red character makes a red block and a blue character makes a blue one. Each time you color a block, your clear percentage will increase. Your goal is to reach the target percentage to clear the level.

I hope you’re as excited as I am about this upcoming release! Be sure to keep an eye on the PlayStation.Blog as I’ll be back to discuss additional game features and answers some of your questions posted below.

PAGE 1 2

+ gold5225 on December 6th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

OMG YES!!!! SO excited

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

Thanks for your comment. I’m excited for the release too!

+ liquidypoo on December 6th, 2010 at 1:02 pm said:

Why don’t we have a demo for it? Europe has had a demo ever since the Move launched.

+ BrianMcGuinness on December 6th, 2010 at 1:03 pm said:

+ BrianMcGuinness on December 6th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

And there is a demo, liquidypoo. It’s on the demo disc, the Start the Party disc. Stop crying.

+ Ar4chNova89 on December 6th, 2010 at 1:04 pm said:

@liquidypoo Make a EU account, genius.

As for the game. I’ll be sure to pick it up as soon as I get a Move.

+ neostardust on December 6th, 2010 at 1:06 pm said:

Looks great, but how much will it cost? that’s the better question

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

Hi there. Please stay tuned for the price info!

+ Delriach on December 6th, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

I <3'd the demo. Can't wait for the full game.

+ fsavoie on December 6th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

price?

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

I’ll come back with the info. Please check back!

+ TomHoang on December 6th, 2010 at 1:13 pm said:

Thank you! I’m also getting Move for Christmas, so the timing is impeccable!

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:29 pm said:

I’m sure it’ll make a great Xmas present for you! :)

+ StargamerX on December 6th, 2010 at 1:15 pm said:

Definitely want to buy this, loved the first game. How much will it cost? $10 I assume.

+ Kirkpad on December 6th, 2010 at 1:19 pm said:

@5, That doesn’t work. It is incompatible due to refresh rates or something weird. Believe me, I downloaded the demo already. I want an NA version!

+ jimmyfoxhound on December 6th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

Cool, will def check this out!!

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Thank you! I’m sure you will enjoy it.

+ Neil on December 6th, 2010 at 1:24 pm said:

Which stores will be holding an echochrome 2 midnight release party? I’m prepared to spend $59.99 on this game!

+ plaztiksyke on December 6th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

I’ve been waiting for this release since I got my Move!!! I *loved* the first echochrome, and it was the second game I got 100% of the trophies in (the first was Linger in Shadows).

I hope the released game has better quality audio than the demo did. The great thing about echochrome was the modern, sometimes atonal soundtrack. While I liked the music in the demo, I was expecting HD-quality audio.

I was also disappointed that the demo appeared to be rendering in 720p. Will the released version support 1080p like the original echochrome did? It would be a shame if the sequel had an overall drop in audio-visual quality over the 2-year old release of the original.

PS: When will we get a Move-enabled version of Siren: Blood Curse?

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

I’m glad you enjoyed the first echochrome and got 100% trophies! I’m sure you will enjoy this one as well.

The full game supports 1080i and 1080p. :)

+ Massive_13 on December 6th, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

Can this game be played without PlayStation Move?

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:42 pm said:

You need to have a Move to play this game as it plays an important role of the gameplay. Xmas present, maybe? :)

+ Kirkpad on December 6th, 2010 at 1:27 pm said:

And yes, this looks bloody fantastic. I think I’m going to throw some money on my PSN account just for this occasion.

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:43 pm said:

Thank you so much! I’m sure you will like it.

+ Enforcer_X on December 6th, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

Can’t wait!
EPIC!
Love echochrome!

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Thanks for your support! Let me know what you think of the new one once you play it.

+ Lopan on December 6th, 2010 at 1:29 pm said:

I still haven’t played the demo yet and it has been sitting in my PS3 forever since it was first released as a download. I must try this out.

+ xjordan93 on December 6th, 2010 at 1:32 pm said:

@ plaztiksyke

“Now we just need Flight Control HD and the reasons I bought a Move will be realized!”

^^^thats wat im waiting for!

+ rofajole on December 6th, 2010 at 1:33 pm said:

Is it possible to play this without the Playstation Move? I would love to get it but really aren’t keen in buying Move yet =/

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:54 pm said:

You will need a Move controller to play this game.
    The team designed the game to offer the most fun and the best experience when played by Move controller. This may be a great time to get it if you don’t have it yet! :)

+ Lugoves on December 6th, 2010 at 1:36 pm said:

I know it’s been asked … but Price and is this a PSN or Disc or Both? Oh and thank you plaztiksyke, I’m so holding out for PS Move Flight Control in NA !!! It’s on Steam and I think the Aussie’s have it , but Firemint hasn’t mentioned anyone else getting it.

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

It’ll be available exclusively on PSN. I’ll come back with the price information soon.

+ Blkant on December 6th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

I’ve been waiting quite a while for this one :)

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Thank you for your patience! It’ll be available very soon. :)

+ Alpha6UFS on December 6th, 2010 at 1:40 pm said:

Wow, this is awesome. So this game only works with the Move? If so, that is fine since the Move is awesome. How will the custom level work?

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:18 pm said:

Yes, it’s Move only. I’ll come back with more explanation about UGC, so please stay tuned!

+ VixDiesel on December 6th, 2010 at 1:43 pm said:

Really disappointed this appears to be Move only.

+ x_D0RC_x on December 6th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

Can’t wait to try a demo.

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

Have you gotten the Move Starter pack bundle? Demo is included there.

+ megamixer on December 6th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Any chance you’ll release echoshift & echochrome ii soundtracks on PSN? Maybe do a bundle with an echo-related dynamic theme or something? I love the heck out of the soundtracks that were released for the original game (and of course the games themselves!) :)

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:35 pm said:

Thanks for your support on the music. I’m glad you liked the soundtrack of the original game. Please stay tuned for the future updates regarding the music! :)

+ KwietStorm on December 6th, 2010 at 2:36 pm said:

@#4

They have a demo in the PSN store. You’re telling him to buy a whole game for a demo?

@#5

The EU demo doesn’t work in the US, genius.

+ IDOLO1013 on December 6th, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

@Fsavoie
I would believe the price would be $15, or am I wrong Kumi Yuasa?

Don’t matter; I own the 1st Echochrome, the PSP version with the expansion pack, & the most recent one with the OST & psn avatars. So am pretty exciting for this game to come out. I bought the move last Thursday too.

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:37 pm said:

Wow, you are the ultimate echochrome fan!!! Thank you so much for your support.

Please check back to see the information about the price.

+ SmooshyKing on December 6th, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

@ plaztiksyke:

Could you do me a favor and let just ONE blog post go by without writing some stupid complaint about audio assets?

WE GET IT. You have ears like an elephant and you want high quality audio.

MUST you tell us EVERY BLOG ENTRY?

WE GET IT. (And no, I’m not yelling. That’s just high-quality audio coming at ya).

You’re worse than MegaMan with all his PS3 Legacy: 0 crap…

+ digitalman123 on December 6th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

Bend shadow, bend light, make perspective relative? ARGH! Multiple brain cells bursting!!!
Trophies?

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

Yup, this one will definitely bend your mind as well! :D

I’ll come back with more info about the game soon, so please stay tuned.

+ IcedDice777 on December 6th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

Will MOST def buy on Dec 21. Been waiting for this!

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:41 pm said:

Thank you for your kind support! I hope this will make a great holiday present for you.

+ TheChicagoShadow on December 6th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

Wow out of no where I thought I would come out next year. Mos def a day on purchase

+ makyengo on December 6th, 2010 at 3:30 pm said:

Awesome! I really love the first echochrome, and this will be a great addition to my PSN game collection.

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 6th, 2010 at 3:44 pm said:

Thank you for your kind words! Hope you will enjoy this one too. :)

+ MetalGearCrysis on December 6th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

Looks good. The first was fun for awhile and then ramped up to just plain frustrating.

+ plaztiksyke on December 6th, 2010 at 4:16 pm said:

BTW, I’m still waiting on an Echoshift native release for PS3. Any chances of that happening soon?

+ AngleofDeath696 on December 6th, 2010 at 4:31 pm said:

Echochrome games have always been a trip.

+ S-E-G on December 6th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

wow this looks extremely boring
this couldn’t have cost you guys a whole lot of money to develop as i am sure i can re-create these levels with just a couple of clicks in Maya
lol
good luck with it though!

+ Ageguyera21 on December 6th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

@liquidypoo Yeah! Genius!! I told you it was on the Japanese store Day 1. You’re an embarrassment to the Playstation community.

+ DAnnyDanger on December 6th, 2010 at 5:15 pm said:

hope it isn’t toooo much.

I do plsn on getting it though

price will dictact if sooner than later. :) :) :)

+ Genexi2 on December 6th, 2010 at 5:47 pm said:

About time we here some news on this, was assuming it’d be out within a month of Move’s release. @.@

Will be nabbing it when it’s out, hope to see the demo of it on PSN prior for those of us who didn’t get the Move starter-kit bundle.

Also hopin’ echoshift will get a PS3 release eventually, or possibly a ps Minis revision of the original so I can use it on both platforms.

+ jimmy903 on December 6th, 2010 at 5:57 pm said:

I want this game, looks awesome. Bad timing for me though at launch as the GT Academy starts the day before.

+ polo155 on December 6th, 2010 at 8:04 pm said:

i first played echochrome in Playstayion Home in the Bowling/Pool/Arcade area and loved it, ill get this one for sure and love the Move support! The Shadows look great and love the music! Great taste!

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 7th, 2010 at 10:46 am said:

Thanks for your kind comment! The music in echochrome ii is more uplifting compared to the original and I never get tired of listening to it. :)

+ liquidypoo on December 6th, 2010 at 9:33 pm said:

@Ageguyera21

Geez maybe I want to complain for the sake of complaining. I JUST WANT SOME CONSISTENCY

+ Onuaku on December 6th, 2010 at 10:05 pm said:

Awful decision here (financial or otherwise). Way to alienate the majority of your users…

+ solace357 on December 6th, 2010 at 10:27 pm said:

Uhhh, I’m pretty sure there was an Echochrome 2 demo on the demo disk that came with the Move bundle… for people asking for a demo.

+ liquidypoo on December 7th, 2010 at 3:33 am said:

Hey solace, not everybody bought the Move bundle. How is it that it takes more than a moment’s thought to figure that out? Every demo ever should always be on the PSN. Especially when other regions do, in fact, have that demo on their PSN.

+ letherclad on December 7th, 2010 at 4:10 am said:

I loved echochrome and echoshift and I fell in love with this game at the DC move meetup a couple of months ago and not having it has been killing me, I can’t wait!

This is easily the most innovative puzzle game out there, which is ironic since before this the most innovative was the first echochrome :)

+ Kumi Yuasa on December 7th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

Thank you for your kind words! The team’s idea always amazes me, too. I’m sure you will enjoy playing this one. :)

+ shadowsn on December 7th, 2010 at 5:51 am said:

If I download the video and upload it on YouTube again, would this violate copyright?
Thanks for an answer :)