PS4-Watch_Dogs

PS3 System Software Update (v3.55)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Dec 06, 2010 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

A new PS3 system software update, v3.55, will be released soon. This is a minor update that adds a security patch.

435 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 9

+ AztecaPride559 on December 6th, 2010 at 6:49 pm said:

Update is out… yay?

+ osmala on December 6th, 2010 at 6:49 pm said:

I only hope the psn someday be like Xbox Live, it’s more easy to play, talk with our friends at Live! please do this SONY

+ Jimmy_Cosmos on December 6th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

I dl’d it and now my PS3 won’t turn on!!! ARGH!!!

+ AztecaPride559 on December 6th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

Hey guys the update is out… yay?

+ RyanTheQQNub on December 6th, 2010 at 6:50 pm said:

How sad is it that I’m rooting for the hackers to get full access so I can put XBMC and a browser that isn’t a complete disaster on my PS3.

How about a feature that’s actually wanted by the community in the next update, Sony?

+ haydiddy on December 6th, 2010 at 6:51 pm said:

Why can’t you just add Cross Game Chat and Get it over with. I mean, thats all we want ):

And fast XMB

+ EagleEyeSamurai on December 6th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

Does this fix the Netflix app to stop sucking and go back to what was originally shown on this blog?

Pfft.

+ AztecaPride559 on December 6th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

Sorry double post. Well my ps3 updated without problems. Hope the same for you guys

+ Reginthorn on December 6th, 2010 at 6:54 pm said:

C’mon Sony we want new features! Yes, we consumers are greedy people, but for good reasons! We wish only for a superior gaming system. It seems that you have been removing more features then adding new ones…..

+ You-R-Pathetic on December 6th, 2010 at 6:54 pm said:

Wow this is truly pathetic. Sony releasing new firmware every few weeks trying to stop the hackers. If you want to hack your ps3 then do it. Its all in fair use. Its my piece of hardware and I will do with it what I want. I will update when Sony adds some worth while improvements but until then I will enjoy loading backups from HDD.

+ Phoenix_Law on December 6th, 2010 at 6:55 pm said:

I wish we would get major updates soon.

+ XxsnipersnakexX on December 6th, 2010 at 6:56 pm said:

am betting this has something to do with GT5 and the REMOTE RACING feature

+ LBartley on December 6th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

I miss the days when firmware updates did stuff. That was nice.

+ Uraizen on December 6th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Oh goody, I can’t wait to update the “security” on my PS3.

+ iShanks on December 6th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Man, Sony is getting ridiculously stupid. I’m not really going to argue if modding and hacking is good or bad, but the point is that all those modders and hackers WON’T update, this won’t stop them. Sony is spending resources with patches when they could be doing something more useful like cross chat or a DECENT browser… God, how stupid can these guys be? Srsly, I hope PS3 gets hacked wide open so we can finally have some improvement on the console.

+ XxDeathDoctorxX on December 6th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

FredPunella im a troll for saying what most ps3 owners want u fu&^5 piece of crap f off

+ FatesApostle on December 6th, 2010 at 7:00 pm said:

Maybe with this update, when im playing CODBO, when I shoot somebody with a rocket to their chest they will go down, lol I cant stand cheaters

+ theeze0504 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:01 pm said:

Really Sony? An empty update? Not even a flash update for your browser as most sites no longer work and require it?

+ Enkei-Xpress on December 6th, 2010 at 7:02 pm said:

Best PS3 firmware update ever! Thanks so much Sony! :D

+ DiabloRage1234 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:03 pm said:

WOW SOME UPDATE THAT WAS (;

+ Indo_Jimbo on December 6th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

If you want anything out of the system updates like cross game chat or this and that, your gonna have to learn Japanese and contact SCEJ. They are the ones who decides and programs the updates unlike Xbox which is done in the US. Look at Xbox sales in Japan compared to here in the US, its a joke. The Japanese are ignorant to what we want and like.

+ CRYL8R on December 6th, 2010 at 7:04 pm said:

“So what exactly are they hacking it for? Bringing back otherOS, stealing games, Hacking trophies, make debug consoles… Not exactly as justifiable”

Shouldn’t we have a right to bring back otherOS? Since sony took that from us? hacking trophies? no such thing and there is no point in that since you cant get online with 3.41. which means they wont be uploaded to PSN

What is everone crying about is it that hard to update your ps3?

+ NiNjA_PwNaGe_64 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:06 pm said:

This update screwed up my ps3 and wont even finish the update saying an error has occurred (8002f333).

+ Doofusdude on December 6th, 2010 at 7:07 pm said:

@genkiniko

I jailbroke my PS3. Guess what? I haven’t pirated any games for it! My god! WHAT A SHOCK.

@AdmiralVic, guess what… I do own my PS3. I’m tired of this “You don’t own it, you own the right to use it” crap… If I buy a game, everything that is on that disc is mine, to edit and mess with all I like. I can then sell that disc if I want. I will concede that I cannot take that disc and make hundreds of copies and sell them. The same with my PS3… I purchased a PS3, I did not purchase a ‘license’ to use said PS3. I will hack it and play SNES games on it to my hearts delight. And Sony can’t do anything to stop it, as I just won’t update.

Stop wasting money fighting us Sony. Spend it on good updates for those customers who are still loyal to you, before they join us.

Ban this account if you like. I never did use your useless PSN.

+ xxKinGjxx on December 6th, 2010 at 7:08 pm said:

My Heart Sank When i seen the title of your post . I thought this was it here it comes!! yet another let down … Music unlimited release date?

+ MUGEN02 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:09 pm said:

Add some features you bums.

+ Sponge-worthy on December 6th, 2010 at 7:14 pm said:

At this point it seems pretty obvious that v. 3.0 is the last major firmware update that we’ll ever see. From here on out, it will just be the occasional security fix.

Perhaps our Blog Share concerns will be addressed in the PS4, as it’s clear that is where SCE’s R&D is probably tied up these days. The PS3 experience, such as it is, is locked in for the duration of the console’s life cycle.

In other words, there will be no new features added to the PS3.

+ CRYL8R on December 6th, 2010 at 7:15 pm said:

This isnt going to stop hackers if 3.50 is truly jailbroken we are just going to use it for GT5 and 3d movies if we cared about psn and playing online none of us would have jailbroken consoles

+ michaelochs on December 6th, 2010 at 7:16 pm said:

more stuff for ps3 epic

+ Psx0005 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

Thanks for the update Eric.

For the rest of the community, its a security update as was mentioned so don’t set your hopes up thinking you’re going to be getting some new app, new video codec support, cross-game chat, etc. etc. etc. so that you get disappointed later and then blame Sony for a “useless” update. This curious game has repeated itself on a regular basis on every update I’ve seen, and quite frankly its hilirious. When an update comes, I let my PS3 update itself and I’m happy with it regardless of what the update does. If it adds something new to the PS3, great. If it fixes an exploitable security hole, great. Whatever the update does, I’m ok with having it make my PS3 more reliable.

+ FaTbOyOnAbiKe on December 6th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

patching the ps downgrade of course ;l i asked for this for christmas

+ donetus on December 6th, 2010 at 7:17 pm said:

will the upcoming update fix the problem of phat ps3 that has gone haywire (unable to recognize games) due to the v3.50 udpate?

+ wolfzero1 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

a security update for what? I’m getting tired of useless updates with no explanation as to what it is doing, at least this one didn’t take too long to get as some of the other ones did.

+ Psx0005 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

@CRYL8R:

“You can complain that we dont get new features on our ps3s because of hackers but the truth is we hack the ps3 for its lack of features and removal of features.”

You don’t speak for all of us thankfully.

+ Enkei-Xpress on December 6th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

There’s no way that this only fixes a security flaw.. the update toke quite a bit of time to download..

I think there is some secret behind-the-scenes stuff included in the update..

+ Sir_Geek on December 6th, 2010 at 7:20 pm said:

You’ll be able to use 3.5 for as long as you want.. That is until there is some mandatory blue ray fix that you MUST have installed to watch the 50 special edition movie that you just purchased (because you need to add new blue ray keys).

Then WTF do you do ?

+ Douche_Eraser on December 6th, 2010 at 7:22 pm said:

And this is why I only game it up on my 360 and have not bought a PS3 game in 9 months.

As for my PS3 currently, it only does:
BluRay
Netflix

i.e. nowhere near “Everything”.

+ fuzzyclutter on December 6th, 2010 at 7:23 pm said:

@120 actually you do own your ps3 , but they own the servers , so therefore they have the right to determine the hardware /software profile of devices that can connect to it just as your isp has . You dont have to update . but you wont be able to connect to their severs either … it’s a choice .

+ scooter1265 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:25 pm said:

Translation:

“A new PS3 system software update, v3.55, will be released soon. This is a minor update that takes away the freedom to customize your PS3.”

+ lele1620 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:26 pm said:

This is why I should work for Sony … Im not a tech genius don’t know how to write software but I have ideas that should of been implemented at least a year ago PSblogshare should already be in the xmb with user video uploads, load times on the ps3 should be at least 20% faster at least across the board. You have skype on psp why isn’t it on psp or even use googles voice/ chat hello Sony !… Now we’ve made the jump tu vudu, hulu and netflix one thing that’s been on the ps3 since day 1 the browser it works ok but come on Update! Update! Update chrome should of already of been there you have a repore with google get it done I love the new rockmelt browser it implement twitter, facebook , Myspace etc This would make your statement it does everything have some backbone

+ Chessy_08 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:27 pm said:

ok this update took like 7 minutes theres no way it was a little security patch.

+ Doofusdude on December 6th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

@Psx0005

One feature that got removed and is being reimplemented (unless work has stopped on it. Haven’t looked at it in a while) is Linux. Another is unlicensed controllers working again… oh wait. We don’t need to fix that. We never updated to 3.5.

Enjoy having your features removed, one by one in an attempt to stop us. I’ll go enjoy my homebrew, emulators, and new features.

+ Mr-Somes on December 6th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

Where is the media,content,flash and divx updates? would be nice to fix the PSN server lag too.

+ phinnv8 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:29 pm said:

Yet another crappy PS3 update with absolutely nothing useful for gamers whatsoever. PlayStation Blog Share FTL.

+ Generic_Clone on December 6th, 2010 at 7:32 pm said:

Oh boy, another update. I can’t wait to see what feature sony removes next. PS3: It does everything. Except a third of the original features and anything that sony thinks might be unprofitable. How about instead, PS3: It does some things because saying that it does everything is a complete and total lie.

+ PcFish on December 6th, 2010 at 7:34 pm said:

I was about to get on Uncharted. Rawr.

+ pontiacman99 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

pandora or slacker would be nice.

+ zekececil14 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:37 pm said:

Wow, just shut up. I’m getting sick and tired of “Oh just another useless update to waste my time.” Its a simple update that takes roughly 10 min to download and install. Go make yourself a SAMMICH or something and stop *** complaining. Otherwise GTFO and buy a Wii. I just took a *** and when I was done it was updated. God ***!

+ shadowx8 on December 6th, 2010 at 7:38 pm said:

so are we ever going to get a patch with decent features that people actually want?

+ xxnike629xx on December 6th, 2010 at 7:42 pm said:

I was wondering when we’d get another PS3 firmware update. It’s been a while.

They’ve been giving the PSP tons of firmware updates though.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 9