Uncharted 4

Resistance 3: The Story So Far

Marcus Smith's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Smith on Dec 07, 2010 // Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Hopefully you had a chance to check out the teaser for our new trailer which will premier exclusively this Saturday during the Spike Video Game Awards (check your local listings for time and network if you’re outside the US). And, we look forward to sharing more with you about the trailer after the VGAs this weekend. But even prior to the VGAs, a lot of new info has hit since GamesCom via a couple magazine covers that you may have seen – but if you missed it, we’re here to catch you up.

First of all, the main protagonist in Resistance 3 is Joseph Capelli, the Sentinel who (HUGE RESISTANCE 2 SPOILERS HERE… if you haven’t played it yet, go buy a Greatest Hits copy now!) was forced to kill Nathan Hale at the end of R2. Capelli was dishonorably discharged, and four years later is living in hiding with his wife, Susan, and son, Jack, along with other survivors in the town of Haven, Oklahoma. He’s given up fighting, and is now just trying to hide and survive the Chimeran death squads that roam the planet. But when Dr. Malikov arrives with an opportunity to deliver a blow to the Chimera, Capelli embarks on a road trip to New York City. Resistance 3 is a tale of Capelli’s heroic journey across the country as he encounters the remnants of humanity left in the aftermath of the brutal invasion.

We wanted to show you some of our favorite concept art and screenshots so far, with some “director’s commentary” on each. Check out our favorite screenshots below.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, humans are hunted by Chimeran death squads, but various groups have figured out different ways to survive across the destroyed country.

Resistance 3

One of our favorite concepts, emphasizing the brutality of the world. Capelli using the new Marksman.

The GamesCom trailer was meant to give you a glimpse and foreshadow the universe that we are creating, whereas the live-action in the upcoming VGA trailer will actually represent some moments from the game, and hopefully give you a taste of the world, atmosphere and mood in Resistance 3.

Resistance 3

Part of Capelli’s journey involves a treacherous boat journey. This shows off our new Capelli model (yup, he does look different and skinnier, four years of malnutrition as food is now scarce), holding Resistance’s signature weapon, the Bullseye. Folks who are looking carefully will notice the Goliath in the background, as well as a new enemy, the Longlegs.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, the Chimera have formed into two distinct groups. Feral Chimera, such as the grim seen above and others such as the Widowmaker, are a constant threat to humans and even militarized Chimera.

Resistance 3

Early in the game, you’ll meet Capelli’s wife, Susan. Fans of the universe and novelization will recognize her as Nathan Hale’s stepsister.

Resistance 3

The military chimera are still a strong presence in 1957, with roving death squads and drones continuing to exterminate any signs of humanity while protecting key Chimeran installations.

Resistance 3

This is a screenshot taken from one of our multiplayer maps. The multiplayer locations in the game are set around the world, with many in locations not in the single-player game. This level is the Fort Lamy prison, in the Republic of Chad, Africa. During the single-player campaign, you’ll hear updates about the battle happening there.

Many folks have written to us with questions about gameplay, co-op, and multiplayer. A few quick answers: The weapon wheel returns, allowing Capelli to carry his entire arsenal and letting the player choose which weapons and strategies they want to use for each encounter. New to Resistance 3 are upgradeable weapons, which will give your weapons new abilities and power as you continue to use them. In terms of co-op, we are focusing on a 2-player co-op through the single-player campaign, which can be played online with a friend, or split-screen on your couch. In terms of multiplayer, we are planning a much more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience. We’ll have many more details on the new campaign, enemies, multiplayer and weapons in the weeks to come as we head towards our Fall 2011 release.

That’s all for now, stay tuned for the newest trailer – we can’t wait to hear what you think.

+ letherclad on December 7th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

Sounds pretty good, I’m looking forward to it. I’ve been finishing up the R2 platinum recently, finished the 10k kills and coop, just need superhuman. Please don’t have a 10,000 kills trophy in R3!

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 4:38 pm said:

No worries there. :-)

+ loadstone007 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:07 am said:

YAY! Campaign Co-op!!! :)

(A VERY HAPPY CUSTOMER!)

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

Awesome. Pre-order for me plz (I’m asking everyone… cause it does really help us out!) =D

+ NeoGeo777 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:13 am said:

:) I’ve been waiting for this, Did hale really die? I play resistance one , now before i play Resistance 3 on going to find out the story on Resistance 2. Good thing is on greatest hits…This will be add to my collection along with GOD of War 1,2,and 3. I’m a happy Player.

+ Ethereal on December 7th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

Day one. Looks like the team is really looking back on the mistakes made with R2. By no means that is was a bad game, they are looking for a more focused experience like with R1. Itching to see what you guys have been cooking up in the tailer this weekend. DVR on standby. Keep up the good work! The fans appreciated it.

+ jgstyle00 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:16 am said:

They really need to bring back the narrator. Even if it’s not the British woman, SOMEONE needs to narrate. It added a lot of drama/intensity and was *sorely* missed in the very dry single player campaign in R2.

It looks like they realized most of the ways they dropped the ball last time, so I hope this one is back on track.

+ BEASTXJASON on December 7th, 2010 at 10:18 am said:

The big MP is gone :( I dont think this is on a buy new list for me anymore. Will have to rent it at the very least. Way to turn resistance into any old shooter :(

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

Trust me in that it will still feel like Resistance multiplayer… it will just be a lot more focused battle wise.

+ jimfear on December 7th, 2010 at 10:21 am said:

I dont like the new look of Capelli. He seems to be less “bad ass” than resistance 2

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 4:42 pm said:

Starvation and lack of nutrition for a few years will do that to ya.

+ wocyob on December 7th, 2010 at 10:27 am said:

UGH i cant wait for this game… i loved them both and i really really want to see this baby in action

+ Anddo on December 7th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

I hated Capelli, now I have to play as him? ;/ I’ll adjust I guess, as long as R3 is an improvement over R2.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

Capelli has matured a bit since R2… I think you will find him a bit more interesting this time around.

+ Shacojin on December 7th, 2010 at 10:34 am said:

I Love RESISTANCE!!!

+ b_allerkb24 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

R2 suck sorry to disappoint every one who thinks it was great but it sucked, loved R1 love the ratchet and clank franchise. Hopefully R3 will be great. still a wait and see for me

+ saab01 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:36 am said:

I cannot wait for this game its looking pretty cool so far from all the pictures. I just hope the online is better than Resistance 2. And lets hope for newer guns with better accuracy.

+ Destiny89 on December 7th, 2010 at 10:39 am said:

Cant wait

+ Lowell_B on December 7th, 2010 at 10:41 am said:

i have a feeling NATHAN HALE will return. . .but in Chimera form lol..im excited, i hope they make this game as perfect as possible.

+ TheGuardianFID on December 7th, 2010 at 10:45 am said:

SOLD SOLD SOLD!!! 8)

+ Denuq on December 7th, 2010 at 10:50 am said:

co-op online campaign play is instant buy for me and bro, cannot wait to see what you have done, hope you are going have a lot customization in Online MP also

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 5:00 pm said:

Instant buy means you’ll do us a solid and pre-order, right? :-)

+ Go_Buddie_Go on December 7th, 2010 at 10:53 am said:

I’m actually more interested in the campaign right now, With the Chimeran forces making earth their new home and all It’s gonna be interesting to see how the story plays out. Also glad to know the weapon wheel has returned, two player co-op sounds good to me as well. Can’t wait for that new trailer during the VGA’s.

+ andXyetXnotXwant on December 7th, 2010 at 10:54 am said:

day one purchase for me. so far everything i’m reading sounds spot on. excellent job bringing the click wheel back and split screen co-op campaign!

+ in_Blue on December 7th, 2010 at 11:05 am said:

I just hope the online multiplayer is akin to RFOM, Melee FTW!

+ Link01 on December 7th, 2010 at 11:07 am said:

Is it going to be in 3D… Move support? Multi log ins for co op split screen?

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 5:27 pm said:

3D and Move Support is TBD.

Multi-log in is a go though.

+ dmc123 on December 7th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

@b_allerkb24
R2 was without question the most engrossing FPS I have played. Loved the game- (really enjoyed story nuances some of which I did not pick up until my 3rd play through)

+ KidCommando on December 7th, 2010 at 11:30 am said:

Can’t wait to see some gameplay in action!

+ GOODKyle on December 7th, 2010 at 11:32 am said:

I’m just extremely bummed they won’t bring back the 64 multiplayer games again x.x

+ Maverick10 on December 7th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

thank you for sharing this great info. I’m so excited for R3 its not even funny. looks awesome

+ MarinoBrea on December 7th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

I LOVE the Resistance universe. However, I was somewhat disappointed by R2 because it was too choreographed and the 2-weapon selection limited the game greatly in terms of gameplay and level design (key weapons always left around when you get to a place you really need them).

Also, the big boss fights were really lame and uninspired after so many previews showing these huge beasts had us all hyped-up. It didn’t do it for me with campaign co-op missing and the Multiplayer didn’t hold my attention for long. I’m glad Insomniac is determined to right their wrongs and make the best Resistance game to date. I’m really looking forward to it, even more than I am for Killzone 3.

+ Hobartbob on December 7th, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

OMG I CAN’T F’N WAIT!!!!! SOLD!!!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 7th, 2010 at 11:40 am said:

R3 is gonna be SWEEEEEEET butthe due date SUUUUUUUUUUCKS! :p

+ JadJomad on December 7th, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

Day 1 purchase for me. I spent countless hours playing R1 and R2 it’s the only shooter I actually enjoy both offline and online.

Thank you Insomniac.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words! Did you pre-order already? Believe it or not, it’s a huge help to us!

+ spunnups on December 7th, 2010 at 11:56 am said:

One of my favorite series’ ever (along with Ratchet and Clank). Insomniac, please take your time and deliver. Combine the best of R1/R2 and add a few surprises. Love you guys!!!

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 5:31 pm said:

Definitely taking our time! The extra year is a huge help!

+ Shinra_Soilder on December 7th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

The Resistance story is awesome. I can’t wait to see how everything play out. Hale is the first hero but falls and now it’s on Capelli’s shoulders. Intriguing.
I just now need to finish reading the Resistance book and I’ll have background info on Susan.

+ Kane22_ on December 7th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Why take away the 8 player co-op thats stupid. dont get me wrong im happy i can have anither firend play with me in campaign mode. but still thats only 1 extra friend. thats a very big decrease. i love co-op as long as its done right. im not a fan of online competitive cause of how people seem to not actually want to play just to enjoy the game itself no. they want to act like there freaking king to online gameing. just give us some other type of co-op where we can play with more than 1 friend please.

+ poodude on December 7th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

I’m sooo excited, I can’t wait for 2011!

+ KazeEternal on December 7th, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

So…. we won’t be seeing a return of 8 player co-op? This is disheartening. Split screen/online 2 player main campaign sounds great and all, but I really enjoyed the 8 player co-op introduced in R2.

Marcus Smith's Avatar

+ James Stevenson on December 7th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

All about focus. We wanted to put all of the focus on our campaign, so moving co-op back into the SP Campaign made a lot of sense in terms of where to use our resources.

+ daniel3334 on December 7th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

man i cant wait for this to release! i hate that our true hero nathan hale is truly dead.i figured we would see him in a jordan sheperd aka daedalus role. gonna be kinda strange not to have him in the story,but i know this is still gonna be an epic,day one,game purchase for us all. oh yeah please dont give us the multiplayer trophies again. i can understand co-op trophies,but not ranked match trophies. either way cant wait for the release!!

+ VixDiesel on December 7th, 2010 at 12:46 pm said:

Not happy about playing as Capelli, he was a tool. Hopefully the story makes up for it. :)

+ Fluidshine on December 7th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

YES!! SPLIT SCREEN CAMPAIGN!!!

+ Airwalkinman17 on December 7th, 2010 at 1:41 pm said:

THERE IS A GOD!
OH MIGHTY YES!!!
You guys heard my cry for 2 player split screen for the campaign! Thank you so much!
Insomanic games rules. #1 developer

+ NeonReaver on December 7th, 2010 at 1:44 pm said:

I really hope you guys bring back the online from R2. It was much better than any campaign co-op. I don’t get the big deal for campaign co-op. I’ll play through it once if there is a trophy attached, but other than that campaign co-op is pretty shallow and only good for a for one time play through.

I spent countless hours on R2’s co-op. I’ve got my guard up about R3 overall, because of how disappointing R2 was. Only time will tell if this new one will be as good as R1 or as disappointing as R2.

+ Lopan on December 7th, 2010 at 1:58 pm said:

I can’t wait for this. In the meantime I better finish up the 10K kills online to earn me that Platinum.

+ AngleofDeath696 on December 7th, 2010 at 2:03 pm said:

Its nice to see Resistance getting the publicity that it deserves.

+ darthlego on December 7th, 2010 at 2:11 pm said:

I loved the single player in Resistance: Fall of Man. I’m glad to see R3’s camaign will be like that.

+ FIREKNIGHT2029 on December 7th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

This sounds so exciting. I can’t wait to see more at the VGAs!

+ KoD7085 on December 7th, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

A huge thanks for bringing back the single player co-op. Day 1 purchase for this reason alone.

+ D1stone on December 7th, 2010 at 2:38 pm said:

cant wait, but will there be co-op now that will be great

+ Tutiquen809 on December 7th, 2010 at 2:40 pm said:

aww man i wanted to see nathan hale in resistence 3.
but i guess it will be cool playing as capellis since he kinda looks like a badass

+ Tutiquen809 on December 7th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

please bring us a resistence 3 special edition. with a chimera head or gun =D

+ iTz_CuRtAiNz_4u on December 7th, 2010 at 2:47 pm said:

Am ready for it ,can wait for single adventure & to get in2 those insane shootouts in multi p…I luv Resistance that’s when i was introduce to online gaming,& fell in luv with multiplayer,customizing my lil guy with a backpack, my melting skullface lol ohh & my helmet…Hope they boosted a bunch of notches up,cause is all about creating ur own style that’s beyond the word awsome period…Final thoughts..hmm GETT IT DONEE..

+ vectorman88 on December 7th, 2010 at 3:00 pm said:

Looks great! Can’t wait for this game. If there’s any question I have, it is if any of the story elements from Resistance Retribution will make their way into Resistance 3. THat was such a great game on the PSP and the story was an integral part to the Resistance saga.

+ BigBoss0707 on December 7th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

Hells yea, R:FOM’s single player + R2’s multiplayer = Super Win

+ Not0riouS76 on December 7th, 2010 at 3:02 pm said:

cant wait for this game. hope its a great as the first resistance

Get your Portable ID!