Driveclub

Resistance 3: The Story So Far

Marcus Smith's Avatar + Posted by Marcus Smith on Dec 07, 2010 // Creative Director, Insomniac Games

Hopefully you had a chance to check out the teaser for our new trailer which will premier exclusively this Saturday during the Spike Video Game Awards (check your local listings for time and network if you’re outside the US). And, we look forward to sharing more with you about the trailer after the VGAs this weekend. But even prior to the VGAs, a lot of new info has hit since GamesCom via a couple magazine covers that you may have seen – but if you missed it, we’re here to catch you up.

First of all, the main protagonist in Resistance 3 is Joseph Capelli, the Sentinel who (HUGE RESISTANCE 2 SPOILERS HERE… if you haven’t played it yet, go buy a Greatest Hits copy now!) was forced to kill Nathan Hale at the end of R2. Capelli was dishonorably discharged, and four years later is living in hiding with his wife, Susan, and son, Jack, along with other survivors in the town of Haven, Oklahoma. He’s given up fighting, and is now just trying to hide and survive the Chimeran death squads that roam the planet. But when Dr. Malikov arrives with an opportunity to deliver a blow to the Chimera, Capelli embarks on a road trip to New York City. Resistance 3 is a tale of Capelli’s heroic journey across the country as he encounters the remnants of humanity left in the aftermath of the brutal invasion.

We wanted to show you some of our favorite concept art and screenshots so far, with some “director’s commentary” on each. Check out our favorite screenshots below.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, humans are hunted by Chimeran death squads, but various groups have figured out different ways to survive across the destroyed country.

Resistance 3

One of our favorite concepts, emphasizing the brutality of the world. Capelli using the new Marksman.

The GamesCom trailer was meant to give you a glimpse and foreshadow the universe that we are creating, whereas the live-action in the upcoming VGA trailer will actually represent some moments from the game, and hopefully give you a taste of the world, atmosphere and mood in Resistance 3.

Resistance 3

Part of Capelli’s journey involves a treacherous boat journey. This shows off our new Capelli model (yup, he does look different and skinnier, four years of malnutrition as food is now scarce), holding Resistance’s signature weapon, the Bullseye. Folks who are looking carefully will notice the Goliath in the background, as well as a new enemy, the Longlegs.

Resistance 3

In Resistance 3, the Chimera have formed into two distinct groups. Feral Chimera, such as the grim seen above and others such as the Widowmaker, are a constant threat to humans and even militarized Chimera.

Resistance 3

Early in the game, you’ll meet Capelli’s wife, Susan. Fans of the universe and novelization will recognize her as Nathan Hale’s stepsister.

Resistance 3

The military chimera are still a strong presence in 1957, with roving death squads and drones continuing to exterminate any signs of humanity while protecting key Chimeran installations.

Resistance 3

This is a screenshot taken from one of our multiplayer maps. The multiplayer locations in the game are set around the world, with many in locations not in the single-player game. This level is the Fort Lamy prison, in the Republic of Chad, Africa. During the single-player campaign, you’ll hear updates about the battle happening there.

Many folks have written to us with questions about gameplay, co-op, and multiplayer. A few quick answers: The weapon wheel returns, allowing Capelli to carry his entire arsenal and letting the player choose which weapons and strategies they want to use for each encounter. New to Resistance 3 are upgradeable weapons, which will give your weapons new abilities and power as you continue to use them. In terms of co-op, we are focusing on a 2-player co-op through the single-player campaign, which can be played online with a friend, or split-screen on your couch. In terms of multiplayer, we are planning a much more focused, progression-based multiplayer experience. We’ll have many more details on the new campaign, enemies, multiplayer and weapons in the weeks to come as we head towards our Fall 2011 release.

That’s all for now, stay tuned for the newest trailer – we can’t wait to hear what you think.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ digitalman123 on December 7th, 2010 at 3:07 pm said:

Woops. I didn’t finish R2 yet, and now I know what happens. Dang. Don’t put spoilers on blogs okay? .

+ BIG_RAB on December 7th, 2010 at 3:10 pm said:

I dont think this will ever be quite the same with “Hale” gone,?! But never the less its no doubt gonna be a superb game, a great storyline & more than likely a contender for a “game of the year award”..???
Hurry up & get it out on the shelfs so i can buy a copy, take it home, add it to my collection, and give it all the love it deserves..!!!!

+ WakizashiM on December 7th, 2010 at 3:21 pm said:

Will this run at 60fps or 30?

+ Street_Killaz on December 7th, 2010 at 3:48 pm said:

holly crap, looking good…Day one buy…

+ i_like_toast on December 7th, 2010 at 3:59 pm said:

Loved R1 as a non FPS fan, didn’t finish R2…we’ll see how you guys do to convince me to give it one more try.

I still love the premise of the alternate reality past, so hope you guys can nail the SP like you did in R1 so well.

+ oly1kenobi on December 7th, 2010 at 4:27 pm said:

This is going to be another amazing exclusive!! Can’t wait to play the BETA!?

+ footballrule on December 7th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

I KNEW IT! I knew we could play as Capelli in Resistance 3! This game is going to be so hot!! :)

+ Rike255 on December 7th, 2010 at 4:41 pm said:

Sounds so sweet. R2 was my favorite FPS this gen with R1 not far behind, I’m sure you guys will continue the streak!

+ StillVictor on December 7th, 2010 at 4:55 pm said:

It seems that the general consensus is that Resistance 2 is worse than R1. I have a different opinion. I played both of them straight – I started R2 as soon as I finished R1 (I know, I got late to the party), and I loved R2. I was more impacted by the story than with the first. There’s a town you go where they have lots of humans in cocoons – I felt angry at the Chimera as if I was there. The ending was also very good to me.

I just thought I should share this. Not everyone disliked the single-player campaign in R2.

+ MoonKnight07 on December 7th, 2010 at 5:23 pm said:

Loved the first two. The story for this world is great. I can’t wait to get pulled back into this world again. I loved playing both. I do agree that the number of players in multi player need cut down though. Seems like everyone is just running around not knowing what to do. Good to hear it’s gonna be more focused. Would love to have more objective based modes too.

+ KittieKitKat85 on December 7th, 2010 at 5:39 pm said:

I really wished Hale was returning in Resistance 3, but either way I can’t wait to play Resistance 3. Can’t help but be a little hopefully about Insomniac having some “tricks” up there sleeves in reference to Hale.

+ BallinOutTheBox on December 7th, 2010 at 5:41 pm said:

I’m so excited for R3! I’m glad features from R:FOM are coming back. And I still can’t believe Hale is dead. I really want to finish off the story with him, but I guess that shows that the focus is on the Chimeran forces and humans fighting to survive. Can’t wait though, I know it’s going to be awesome!

+ WhittO on December 7th, 2010 at 5:55 pm said:

30FPS is a good move, I remember reading you were going to do that since stability is not counted as a plus in games anymore (sadly) by reviewers/gamers and instead up the graphics (which is important too).

I loved R1 and I really liked R2 (although it did get repetitive at times and show some signs of low quality graphics, still it had a great run for SP and loved the Multiplayer more than R1 (I’m around 1.5k off 10k kills trophy haha).

Definitely day 1 buy for me….but don’t know if I will pre-order?? haha jk

+ Meno on December 7th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

Mr Stevenson, fine respondent that you appear to be, can you explain what benefits the dev receives for pre-orders, outside of the obvious (sales). Outside of day-1 sales, do pre-orders give you any additional information as a developer/distributor, or give you greater sway with your publisher? The “it actually helps us” comments seem to imply this.

Looking forward to this, and yes, before you ask, I will be pre-ordering.

+ blazin80 on December 7th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

as soon as it was announced, there was no doubt that I was going to buy this. I’m reserving the special edition for sure and so is my friend.My favorite FPS of all time was Resistance 2.

P.S. if you make a beta, I’d be more than happy to have it.

+ Kornkid52 on December 7th, 2010 at 6:18 pm said:

R2 rocked and loved the fact that it had split screen with multiple PSN log-in but You never fixed the weapon select page when during a match if a player wanted to change weapon it took the whole screen, y wasn’t it fixed?

+ blazin80 on December 7th, 2010 at 6:18 pm said:

I meant pre-ordering in the above post.

+ Emerald_Swords on December 7th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

Im going to pre-order once amazon has the game up. (Im in Canada, our side does not have the game yet =( )

+ Butters360 on December 7th, 2010 at 6:45 pm said:

James, where does the storyline from Resistance: A Hole In The Sky take place within the series timeline? It’s still considered canon right?

+ laZardo on December 7th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

Wait, so what happened to the Baton Rouge Camp?

+ ADR143 on December 7th, 2010 at 6:52 pm said:

day one buy! for SP hopefully the MP improved bring back RFOM MP

+ sleepy92 on December 7th, 2010 at 7:09 pm said:

The live action trailers are so cool but I’m really itching to see some gameplay. Will there be any gameplay shown at the VGAs or is the trailer entirely live action?

+ craiglaurence on December 7th, 2010 at 7:29 pm said:

Looks good. Thought there might be 4 player co-op from the previous trailer, but it seems you’re saying def 2 player only.
Me and my friends enjoyed the co-op MP, seems like a lot of people did. I appreciate your choice to focus but I think you should consider this as a major dlc to offer afterwards.

+ JThyKing28 on December 7th, 2010 at 7:33 pm said:

I like the story in this series, I hope Resistance 3 will be amazing and a attention graber.

+ theultimatenub on December 7th, 2010 at 8:01 pm said:

this looks awesome! day one purchase for me =)

+ Kchow23 on December 7th, 2010 at 8:24 pm said:

Are there any pre-order incentives? or a Collector’s edition? also quick questions any openings at insomniac? :P

+ aztec23 on December 7th, 2010 at 9:18 pm said:

This guy does not look like Capelli! Where is Rachel? Nathan for Final boss please…

+ aztec23 on December 7th, 2010 at 9:34 pm said:

I liked R2 not as much as FoM though. Also bring back offline 4-player split-screen! Also keep the co-op of R2 and still have sc co-op. One last thing I love that you can play online with 2 accounts keep this on R3 please!

+ moho-foe on December 7th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

@James Stevenson

I support my first party Devs, but R3 isn’t on Amazon Yet

So how can you ask me to pre-order? Is there a Bonus? Or will I find out later and have to order through Best Buy because they have something better.

+ Kchow23 on December 7th, 2010 at 9:59 pm said:

@126 go play R2

+ jason3064 on December 7th, 2010 at 11:00 pm said:

I loved the first one and i loved the second one ,cant wait for number three.You guys are the reason i bought my ps3.You made this Trinidadian gamer very happy when you announced part three this year .Thanks insomniac

+ NINEblademanNINE on December 7th, 2010 at 11:46 pm said:

I thought Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, Big Foot, Nessy, Captain Qwark and diet Pepsi were all fake but they were actually Insomniac this whole time…brings tears of joy to my eye.

Fall of Man made me happy I owned a launch PS3 (as well as surprised me from the usual R&C I see Insomniac for), Resistance 2 was amazing for that time and Insomniac made an unstoppable team out of Ratchet & Clank! Resistance 3 will be the next game of the year…I really hope.

So, can I have a Qwark skin for multiplayer?

+ Gitaroo on December 7th, 2010 at 11:52 pm said:

please don’t forget new game +, especially games with upgradable weapons….

+ ashik82 on December 8th, 2010 at 2:53 am said:

ummm…i dont get it.Why dont people like R2?I loved it to death.Finished campaign in all difficulties,played the heck outta mp too.
I just hope Insomniac v-syncs this baby at 30fps.

Btw,why does the new Marksman have no scope?

+ jeperty on December 8th, 2010 at 3:02 am said:

Gonna pre order this =D.Any word on the health system? Would prefer the bar from Resistance FoM. Also, in one of the intel in Resistance2, (The last level)Malikov says he has enough morphine to kill himself. Just seems kinda odd :-)

+ dragon_frost on December 8th, 2010 at 3:45 am said:

@James Stevenson…I have a few questions for you below…

1.Will resistance 3 take advantage of the cell processor’s graphical capabilities(interactive ray tracing & morphological anti-aliasing)?

2.Will there be kind of deep upgrading & customizing options (weapons,multi player classes ect..)?

3.Will there be any vehicles,aircrafts ect..to control(jets,choppers,tanks,alien crafts ect..)?

Thank you!

+ TricKyLegZ on December 8th, 2010 at 5:33 am said:

This thing about a “progression based multiplayer experience” scares the heck out of me. I hope Insomniac isn’t talking about upgrading weapons. are they?

+ forevercloud on December 8th, 2010 at 5:43 am said:

I am actually a big fan of the series. Before Resistance, I despised FPS games. Now I love them. I hope the almost horror game feel returns from the first two games. From the random flashes of shadows in R1 to the creepy baron streets with Grims hiding in corners of R2. Loved It.

Glad to hear the Weapon Wheel has returned. It was missed in R2. Yet sad to hear there might not be a Seperate Online Coop mode like in R2 :(. That was what kept me playing R2 after the campaign(barely touched competitive). It was like playing a FPS/RPG hybrid. Hopefully a similar mode does return.

Oh and can you answer me this, Will Henry Stillman be returning as well? He really made the atmosphere of the Chimera succeeding and humans being terrorized. His last message said he was “Going for a walk”. Please don’t let him be dead :(

+ Muskidinho04 on December 8th, 2010 at 7:51 am said:

i wonder if there going to use the god awful play now system for competitive or go to a lobby type systems where you pick what kind of match type you want to play. don’t know why they never fixed that in R2 that’s what killed the competitive. also they should make the competitive like KZ2 online where you can have a custom game and it still be ranked.

+ Muskidinho04 on December 8th, 2010 at 7:52 am said:

@ dragon_frost there wont be any vech in this game the player can control. that’s old news like most of this blog post

+ King-Swazilo on December 8th, 2010 at 10:10 am said:

Everything I’ve read is making this sound like one of 2011′s must haves. I’ll definitely be pre-ordering :) Really enjoyed R1 and R2, shame we have to wait so long for R3! The Resistance story has me completely hooked.

For the record – if anyone from Imsomniac reads this – R2 was GREAT game, I can’t understand why so many people were disappointed with it. If improved everything that needed to be improved from R1. If you can mix the scary atmosphere of R1 (I’m still scared everytime I play through Northern Command in R1) and the scale and overall epic-ness of R2, you’ll have a candidate for game of the year. Make it happen! :D

+ MarinoBrea on December 8th, 2010 at 12:01 pm said:

I must say Resistance is my favorite FPS game, and the only one I would rate the CAMPAIGN experience of the game 8/10 or above!

+ wolfzero1 on December 8th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

game definitely sounds like its going to be fun, I like the return of the weapon wheel, since there were times where I found a weapon that I liked but ended up having to drop it when something else came along or I would run out of ammo.

+ LordRaymond on December 8th, 2010 at 8:27 pm said:

Can’t wait definatley getting this day 1. But I was disappointed there is no more 60 player epic competitive multiplayer and no 8 player co-op multiplayer campaign. I really liked Resistance 2 and going to pre order this when its up at Best Buy.

+ KARAMO on December 9th, 2010 at 9:00 am said:

I loved R1, R2 on th2 graphics side did not make me happy i was spoiled by KZ2 graphics, and the story please I actually play the story on shooter before MP, please Redeem your selves, Insomniac is one of My favorite company, been having a hard time defending it after R2

+ ryker_362 on December 11th, 2010 at 3:08 pm said:

Sounds really good so far. Here’s hoping that the team at Insomniac will create an even more deadly arsenal of weapons to combat this plague. Can’t wait for more news and gameplay footage!

+ iVaN-_-DRaGo on December 11th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

realllllly BIG resistance fan, should never of killed Hale.

he was the perfect lead character. also the R2 multi player was weak. and didn’t have co-op campaign….. which was missed a lot.

however there were glimpses of truly amazin game play.

been waiting for R3, sinse R1 and 2.

a pre-order will definitely be on the cards…. where do i order from?

Drago

+ toro228 on December 11th, 2010 at 9:12 pm said:

I hope that Nathan will still be there but in a coma and still human the story will not be the same with a different character and you have no team all by yourselvs can’t wait until it comes out

+ korgon117 on December 12th, 2010 at 8:32 pm said:

Great to see Resistance 3 coming around! I was a huge fan of the first two games and plan on picking up the PSP entry in the series as well. Crazy thing is R2, though it was really freakin sweet, felt a bit rushed in some aspects. But now that Insomniac is taking their time with R3, my expectations are through the roof! Though R2 could have been even better, it is still my personal favorite fps of this generation and I can only imagine how amazing R3 is going to be! One thing though please don’t include the Wraith in the multiplayer lol Thanks Insomniac!

+ L23FIREYE on December 27th, 2010 at 9:34 am said:

you know what would be cool if like your sorounded by lots of militarized chimera and then feral windowmaker attack them and you use that to escape and like when your walking in the streets you can find some confronations between feral and militerized chimera that would be cool.

PAGE 1 2 3