Bloodborne

PlayStation Home Turns Two, New Games Incoming

Jack Buser's Avatar + Posted by Jack Buser on Dec 10, 2010 // Senior Director, PlayStation Now

It’s amazing to look at the evolution of PlayStation Home and see how much it has changed since we launched in December two years ago. From our humble beginnings in 2008, we’ve become a world filled with hundreds of games enjoyed by 17 million users worldwide and given PlayStation Network users a unique and dynamic gaming experience that can only be found on our platform.

The idea of what games mean in PS Home has also changed. In contrast to the handful of simple mini-games offered at launch, we now see a huge variety of games, including massive full-length games developed by some of the most prominent and innovative indie developers in our industry. The experience of PS Home itself has radically improved over the years as well, with faster load times, zero-wait game access, intuitive navigation, and the addition of features such as group-based voice chat and robust inventory management.

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, so check out the infographic below to see how PlayStation Home has evolved over the last two years into an industry leading social game platform:

PS Home Infographic_FINAL

Also, as part of our second anniversary celebration, I’d like to discuss some new games for PlayStation Home. These games clearly show PS Home as a platform for the most exciting indie and social games today. Some of these titles are sequels to hugely popular games in Home, demonstrating the business success of our partners. From Novus Prime which launched last week, to Sodium 2 coming next year, I hope you are as excited about these games as I am!

Novus Prime – Now Available

PlayStation Home Anniversary - Novus Prime

Created by Hellfire Games, Novus Prime brings a multiplayer space shooter to PlayStation Home. Players can band together to protect their space station. Along with the ability to customize ships and embark on space battles of epic proportions, players can also jump out into zero G and defend the space station from parasitic insects. See the game trailer here.

Midway 2 – Now Available

PlayStation Home Anniversary - Midway 2

The folks over at Mass Media have seen a great amount of success with the first Midway game released on PlayStation Home in 2010. They’ve been so happy with how their title has preformed that they are back again! Mass Media has expanded their offerings of popular Midway games with Midway 2. Midway 2 brings nine new games plus the timeless classic, Miz Fortune, to the already robust set of games in Midway. Along with the new games comes 100 new game prizes, a new meta-prize for winning all 20 Midway games and a Scramble Puzzle game as the meta-prize for getting 5,000 points. For those of you that were fond of Darla, we’re bringing in Karla – Darla’s sister – in the game “Wet and Wild,” where you can dunk her in the water tank and get a snapshot of her giving you a kiss! Check out the official trailer from Wednesday’s update.

Conspiracy – Available January 2011

PlayStation Home Anniversary - Conspiracy

There is a mystery afoot! Jet Set Games is getting ready to release its first ever PlayStation Home game and is ready to take players into a secret world filled with covert infiltration and espionage with their new action/puzzle game, Conspiracy. Conspiracy will have players join different factions as they work to steal goods from enemy corporations. As the rival corporations battle it out, they will uncover the mysteries of the ultimate Conspiracy. Be prepared to learn the secrets of the Conspiracy world in early 2011.

Sodium 2 – Available Spring 2011

PlayStation Home Anniversary - Sodium 2

Veteran PlayStation Home developers, Outso, are back with a sequel to their highly successful PlayStation Home game, Sodium One. Sodium 2 is looking to expand on every area of the original game with heavily customizable jet racers, supersonic speeds and a pounding soundtrack. The future of Sodium is coming soon, so be on look out for Outso’s new game coming in Spring 2011 to a teleporter near you.

These four games just barely scratch the surface of what the future holds for PlayStation Home. We hope you continue to enjoy what we have to offer on our platform as much as we enjoy creating it for you.

See you in PS Home.

+ Alee634 on December 10th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

Except for the Hall of Fame (Trophy Room) still being MIA, I do love the expansion of Home services this year. Thanks for the preview and retrospective Jack.

+ Carl-G on December 10th, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

Anyway of HOME being loaded up as you start your PS3? So it’s always on? Not sure if that could be done. Would be cool tho :P

+ NARDE15 on December 10th, 2010 at 9:57 am said:

Thats Good Stuff JB! Thanks for the numbers.

+ Mucudadada on December 10th, 2010 at 10:05 am said:

Congrats to the whole Home team! And here’s to another 2 great years :D

*raises glass*

+ TheGuardianFID on December 10th, 2010 at 10:14 am said:

HOME ROCKS, you Rock too Jack lol!!! Seriously though, it’s a great platform and keeps getting better all the time, happy second anniversary HOME!!! 8)

+ polo155 on December 10th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Home kicks ass, no other system can even run something simular yet ppl try to bash it on a regular basis. If someone dont like Home, the same way you dont go in Home, dont hate on the blog and forums, very simple.

Theres nothing like Home on a console with much processing power and the level this will reach as coding gets efficient and developers Go crazy with the new HDK. Im chillin with Steve my Companion on my New Yacht while watching Tester the complete season 2. Please bring back the Closed Beta “Hip Hop Dance” if ppl today see that Jack that enote will be won out! Happy Holidays all, The Central Plaza Looks Beautiful!

+ ramrod701 on December 10th, 2010 at 10:29 am said:

My friends drool over playstation home. It’s THE best way to network & meet other like minded gamers. The games have gotten better & better over time and the variety is nice. I used to tell people that Home isn’t a Game, it’s a community chat with lots of EYE candy. Can’t say that anymore….Sodium & Conspiracy look SWEET!!

There’s No Place Like Home….Happy Anniversary!!!!!

+ that-acmilan-guy on December 10th, 2010 at 10:30 am said:

Because of Home, I met a really really special someone. Thank you! If possible, can you guys implement some Co-op interactions like handshake and giving a hug? Thanks :)

+ Haskell420 on December 10th, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

Jack,
Hello and Happy Holidays to you, your family and your fellow PS Home employees!
This is awesome, it really is. When HOME was 1st announced, I was so excited because I saw the potential it has, and what it COULD become. Are we there yet? No. Are we getting closer? Honestly, ehh..I don’t think so.
You have added a slew of games, loads upon loads of Indie and mainstream companies, adding new spaces, items, rewards etc., ith those companies also seeing the potential that HOME has.

Yes we are STILL waiting on beiong able to play our OWN music, or movies from our HD to our HOME spaces, so our friends can enjoy what we have. I still don’t understand all the logistics, aka BS. I still don’t see how we can have copyright issues.
If I PLAY my music or movies from my OWN HD, it can only be copyright infringment IF someone records it. It is the same thing as my friends coming over to listen to a new CD, or see a movie I own, or rent.

Part 1 of 2

Haskell420

+ Wii_Amputee on December 10th, 2010 at 10:35 am said:

A lot of gamers hate on home becaus ethey tried it 2 years ago or even 1 year ago. Home has changed so much in the last year. There is always more stuff to do. I just wish people would talk about what they know, not what they presume.

this article was posted on kotaku and the idiocy from their comments makes me so mad

+ ShagsREVENGE on December 10th, 2010 at 10:37 am said:

WHEN will we be able to play OUR music from our hard drives in our personal places as shown in the original Home trailer?????

+ Haskell420 on December 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Jack, part 2

*I also know that you MUST, NEVER EVER, allow 2 people in HOME, to bump into eachother. We must NEVER be allowed to make contact with another then the troublemakers will walk bye, slapping/hitting/knocking over anyone n everyone.

NEVER CREATE PHYSICAL CONTACT BETWEEN 2 AVATARS IN HOME!

Can you finally upgrade the Bowling within Home?
If SCEA can make High Velocity bowling then you can add that into HOME and remove that Godawful bowling game.

Lastly, a while ago, I posted an idea for a TRUE gamer’s space in the HOME board & had great things said about my idea between my friends in and out of HOME. I tried to submit it to the Blog Share, but to no avail.

I would love it if you could send me a message on my PS Message board account & I can send you this awesome idea & I guarantee that when you read it, it will blow your minD and you will say, “Oh this is great, we’re doing this!!

I’ll be back in HOME soon, my PS3 died, I sent it in to be fixed, got it back & then that died the YLOD, & that is being sent back as we speak

Keep up the gr8 work!

Eddie H.
PSN ID: Haskell420

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on December 10th, 2010 at 10:47 am said:

Hi Jack, just wondering if there is a new “ignore” system int he works. you know hit ignore on a person and their avatar disappears and you disappear from them too? That would rock. Also Jack why doesnt the active cam from loot record while in home? I bought that space and bundle thinking that is what it did. I would like to make Hollywood esque videos and movies but I dont like having to use a cam set up in front of my lcd. Any chance of getting the cams to record in home, in real time.

Otherwise its been a great two years in home although I am missing all my closed beta items and a few that I have acquired over the last year.

I will ROCK at Sodium Racer…. even with your advanced playtime with it I will rule the tracks…

I’d take ya on Day One. If you are up to the challenge that is…..

+ Gas0linE on December 10th, 2010 at 10:55 am said:

Pretty sad it’s been 2 yrs and still in “beta phase” Sony, let’s take a look back at E3 2007! Trophy room with animated trophies!!! OMG!!! 3 yrs later and we have some stupid beta that still has yet to see anything like the trophy room. Just give up Sony, leave it to Microsoft to handle Network operations.

+ roadrunner79 on December 10th, 2010 at 11:14 am said:

Isn’t Home still technically an open BETA? Why hasn’t it ever become official, even after 2 years of open BETA?

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 10th, 2010 at 11:21 am said:

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH @ 5O..HOLDING THAT R2 BUTTON CAN GET ALIL ANOYING WHEN YOUR TRYING TO PLAY A MINI GAME OR REDECORATE YOUR APT..ITS JUST INCONVENIENT.AS FOR ALL THOSE THAT THINK HOME IS BORING..YOUR JUST PRETTY MUCH LAME.>:P AND MOST LIKELY COMPLAIN ABOUT EVERYTHING.IM SO TIRED OF READING PEOPLE’S STUPID COMMENTS ON “HOW BORING IT IS” OR “TROPHY ROOM”” ALWAYS FOCUSING ON WHAT THEY WANT..RATHER ON WHAT IS AVAILABLE AND IM PRETTY SURE THEY ARE WORKING ON THE TROPHY ROOM (NOT SURE WHY THEY HAVENT JUST GIVIN US A HINT BUT W/E) IT JUST TAKES TIME IF YOU WANT IT DONE RIGHT!.HOME IS FREE..AND ITS FOR THOSE WHO JUST WANA CHILLAX AND MEET AND CHAT WITH NEW PEOPLE..IF YOUR NOT INTOO THAT FINE..THIS BLOG DOESNT NEED YOUR TWO CENTS >:/

+ TwinDad on December 10th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

Hard to believe it’s been 2 year since I deleted this from my system.

I played a few of the games at PAX,I’m considering coming back, but it’s just so…. Boring.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on December 10th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

@ TWINDAD… WHAT DO “YOU WANT TO SEE IN HOME”..BESIDES A ROOM FULL OF TROPHIES (I HAVE ABOUT 3THOUSAND TROPHIES..AND I DONT THINK EVERYONE GOING INTO A ROOM JUST TO CHECK THEM ALL OUT..SO ID RATHER HAVE THEM JUST GO TO MY PROFILE AND VIEW IT FROM THERE)..WHAT DO YOU THINK WOULD BE “NON BORING”?

+ megamixer on December 10th, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

I don’t see the total amount of glitches listed on that chart….

2 years and only 3 patches? (The PS3′s had 7 of them this year alone!)

Version 1.03 (open beta launch)
Version 1.30 (October 1, 2009)
Version 1.35 (March 11, 2010)
Version 1.40 (November 11, 2010)

Good gravy. PS Home will be in beta for all of eternity at this rate. Less virtual items, more patches please! Let’s get this thing in better working order before unleashing droves of pointless t-shirts!

+ rjejr on December 10th, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

I wouldn’t consider myself a HOME user but I have logged in whenever there is a new major update or something free is given away and it has really improved over the course of 2 years.
The minigames are a great time wasters – MNR match, stomp the scorpions, LBP find, etc. I even coughed up a buck for the Midway – the only $ I have ever spent in HOME.

A few minor things I’ld like to see: the best HOME space I’ve ever been in was the Japanese Spelunker level where you actually played a level inside the game. I can’t understand why all regions wouldn’t get all HOME spaces. The shooting chicken in Europe was kinda lame though.

I’m a guy with mid-back length long hair and it’s IMPOSSIBLE for me to make a representative avatar. My 5 yr. old Mii is so me that everybody has one and loves it. Shouldn’t your 2 year old system be able to compete with a 5 yr. old one?

+ megamixer on December 10th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Seeing Haskell posting here reminded me of something.

Where’s the PAIN PS Home Space/Items?! Idol Minds has been hinting at them for well over a year now. MOAR PAIN PLZ!

+ Israel1948 on December 10th, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET TVS THAT CAN STEAM TV SHOWS AND MOVIES, AND WHEN ARE WE GOING TO GET OUR TROPHY ROOMS?!

I don’t get why we can’t have TVs that can stream movies and TV shows from the PS Store, as long as we pay for it.

EVERYONE WANTS TO KNOW THIS QUESTION.

+ Trixzter7 on December 10th, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

“From our humble beginnings in 2008″

and yet there still isn’t a trophy room…

+ Techni on December 10th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

17 million! That’s more than XBOX Live has Gold members!

+ Techni on December 10th, 2010 at 12:53 pm said:

PLEASE, Get rid of the lines to play games.

+ KidCommando on December 10th, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

Everytime I visit Home, I just end up leaving after 10mins.

I don’t know, guess it’s just not for me.

Still seems so quiet and slow; the loading, the walking, the communicating.

The first week Home came out I thought it was really cool and progressive that I could walk up to someone and say “hi”, not type it. Still don’t understand why there can’t be open public voice chat FOR THOSE WHO CHOOSE to use it.

Home has too many steps that take too long in finding gaming compatible friends that share the same interests. Most of the people I have run into in Home apparently don’t play many games anyway as their trophy levels are fairly low.

I will just stick to playing the games and let the Homies have fun with it. After all, it is a FREE application, and I can’t argue with that!

+ KwietStorm on December 10th, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

Hall of Fame/Trophy Room

2008: 0
2010: 0

+ MonkeyKing1969 on December 10th, 2010 at 1:28 pm said:

Home is a financial success for Sony and a disaster for user.

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on December 10th, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

Omg you people are so petty, who wants a trophy room? Not Me cause I dont give a F**** about mine or your trophies. I like home alot always have always will. I get to hang with some cool people that I know and some that I just meet daily. The only real thing lacking is working in home items, such as tv’s, a way to stream media in our own clubs and a way to stream our own music. be it a home provided service for music or that quirocity thing. that would rock. all these people so upset at a lack of trophy room need to grow up. How much fun is it going to be to search through 17 million users trophies, huh? Not v ery much at all is my answer.

Keep doing what You are doing. Home rocks. Xbux sucks. Atleast its free and interactive unlike the Bucx, which just has cross game chat and thats it. Ohhh thats a thrill and a half. NOT! ( i used to own a 360 elite but traded it in for a psp go)

+ Busca-Cabezas on December 10th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

Everythings Great!!! I luv HOME and what it has become. U guys have my best wishes for this season and for the many many years to come!! Oh! BTW, why is it that when I play over @ the MIDWAY 2… I get screwed? The games are glitchy. Is it the server? Is it cause of all the players visiting? U could say I lost a buck but I’m not playing until I know its working properly… THX!

+ MarinoBrea on December 10th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

I must say, I’m impressed with HOME, it definitely took off. Now , I would like to try it once again and see how it’s evolved. But can anyone be so kind and tell me if you have to re-download every area every time there’s a an update? Can you queue all downloads OUTSIDE of Home, so you don’t have to pick one by one and then wait for them inside Home to download?

+ S-E-G on December 10th, 2010 at 2:44 pm said:

it’s all nice and dandy 600 community events
if only sony would show up for most of them
and most of the time, the community events end up just like an everyday regular moment in HOME
lol

+ Feral_Dragon on December 10th, 2010 at 3:04 pm said:

I don`t care about a trophy room either, it would be pointless and just an opportunity for ppl to brag. Who wants to listen to that? I don`t care about trophies in general, honestly what is the point of them? They don`t do anything.

Anyway, Novus Prime games won`t load for me period, since day one, so I`ve never got to play it, and DDR game rarely loads either. When it does, it crashes. Not only that, but when I go into wardrobe to change my clothes my avatar completely disappears and it locks up so I can`t get out of it, forcing me to quit Home. When I go back in I`m a default black girl. This has happened 3 times now. Seriously WTF? Plus, half of other peoples avatars don`t load, and some have missing body parts when they do, while others are just bald floating heads. PLEASE HELP ME! I`ve been posting this on the blog for two weeks but I don`t get an answer!

+ Feral_Dragon on December 10th, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

I hope that “Your comment is awaiting moderation” means someone is actually reading my comment and is gonna help me out. I like Home but the severe technical problems I`m experiencing on there is preventing me from enjoying the experience, let alone go on.

While I`ve seen the vast improvement in Home, from just having a few items in the mall and CP to go to, to everything we have now, mine has gone downhill since the last two updates. Everything from avatars not loading, Home games not loading, and freezing a million times a day. Please make a patch for Home to stop this crashing issue as I`m not the only one experiencing that one.

+ zfredo90 on December 10th, 2010 at 3:34 pm said:

if there’s soooooooo much content why every time i go there all i do is just sit on chair. o_0

+ Insomnia999 on December 10th, 2010 at 3:51 pm said:

Can we get a sale on the games for personal spaces?

I want to see more compatibility to ps3 games. Let us launch our group in Home right into a multiplayer game as a party/team.

Give us deeper games in Home.

More features.

+ footballrule on December 10th, 2010 at 3:52 pm said:

Talk about great news! This is truly awesome Jack Buser! It’s already been 2 years of Open beta and man has Home come very far. Looking forward to all the future development you guys have planned.

Kudos Home team!

+ UNIT-TRB on December 10th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

There is a trophy room in the Villain Lair. It would not be that hard to just do an app for a visual representation of the PS ID I suppose.

+ KwietStorm on December 10th, 2010 at 4:37 pm said:

LOL of course there’s going to be people here crying foul about people who actually wanted the trophy room that was said to be included years ago. It’s no surprise, because when I log into Home once every 4 months, I rarely see any people with more than 100 trophies. People in Home don’t even buy games.

+ LinaM13 on December 10th, 2010 at 4:59 pm said:

Ps home has grown larger and larger. the graphics are amazing!!! i have a question to become a guide how? i love to help people in the home community. i thought if i would become one i would be a good one. :D

+ Zoo-York-Boy on December 10th, 2010 at 5:08 pm said:

i Hope soon Home gets a Sk8Park, & wow that was lame about skate2 game saying that was compatible with home & nothing yet… would u guys make a deal wit DC clothes at mall like billabongs 1s & kool stuffs like a backpack wit a sk8board =S… sigh & we still waiting 4 that trophy room yet eh -_-

+ Richlando on December 10th, 2010 at 5:10 pm said:

I still like the idea of Home being a replacement for the xmb..old idea but still…

+ The_Outrage on December 10th, 2010 at 5:15 pm said:

Does “zero-wait game access” mean no more waiting in line to actually do something interactive?

+ Sky-Rocketed77 on December 10th, 2010 at 5:33 pm said:

Dude!!! OMG SODIUM 2!!!

i’m soooo glad i got a ps3…HOME FTW!! lol

+ crusher915 on December 10th, 2010 at 5:42 pm said:

When I can compete In Football and Basketball And Play Paintball, Then I WILL return (Basically When People are Able to Make Real Quality Games Within Home)

+ Astronica on December 10th, 2010 at 7:35 pm said:

wow home is WAYYYYY more fun than it was two years ago.
can’t wait to play the games!!!!

+ SHOR73RM on December 10th, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

Home FTW, what’s up now Home haters!!! I’m on home more then I play disc based games, this started off great in closed beta and keeps getting better. It looks like I don’t have to tell you to keep it comming Jack, your all over it.

Homelings for life!

+ Pariah_Dark on December 10th, 2010 at 7:54 pm said:

Ok first off,

Like many here, I was with HOME from the start. And it is as you guys said, it HAS grown much in the two years past.

However, some of the promise content still isn’t available two years in. And yes I DO mean the trophy room and TV/ music streaming.

To be honest, if you guys weren’t sure you could pull this stuff off, you should have NEVER shown or brought it to the people’s attention. And people are NEVER going to let you hear the end of it BECAUSE it was promised. So I don’t blame them.

I can give credit where it’s due, HOME is far more than it was two years ago. Heck, you guys even brought back voice chat, and in a controlled and pleasing manner at that.

But if you TRULY want HOME to be the smash hit it CAN be, you guys will find a way to bring about that trophy room and TV/ music streaming.

+ Subzero316 on December 10th, 2010 at 8:07 pm said:

happy birthday home

+ retro25 on December 10th, 2010 at 8:46 pm said:

Happy 2nd anniversary PS Home!!! I’ve been around since closed beta and enjoyed it since, keep it up. Can’t wait for Sodium 2 plus it’s Sodium 1′s year anniversary as well this month too.