PS4-The Order

Shadow of the Colossus in 3D: Eyes On, Hands On

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Dec 10, 2010 // Social Media Manager

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

Looming majestically over the wind-swept plains, the Colossus lowers its ponderous head to peer at the tiny, curious creature scuttling before it. Of course, that tiny creature is you. And before long, you’ll be dangling from the great brute, magic sword clutched tightly in one small hand, as you prepare to bring the Goliath to its knees with a series of pinprick stabs. Once the battle is over and you’ve slain the giant, you may be left to grapple with a haunting question: “Why?”

This is Shadow of the Colossus, one of the most highly regarded games ever released and a beacon to many game developers for its epic grandness, its subtle artistry, and its messy emotional context. Along with Ico, Shadow of the Colossus is returning this spring in dazzling HD with robust (though optional) stereoscopic 3D support. I donned a pair of active-shutter 3D glasses to get a fresh look at Fumito Ueda’s masterpiece running on the PS3.

Playing Shadow of the Colossus in 3D, I was immediately struck by the agoraphobic vastness of the landscape. The stark beauty of the world is far clearer thanks to new high-resolution environment textures looted from the hard drives at developer Team Ico. And in case you were wondering, Bluepoint Games is handling the conversion duties for the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection — if you played the God of War Collection, then you’re familiar with their handiwork.

Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection

And then there are the colossi. I defeated the first two (there are 16 in all), and scrambling across their shaggy backs in stereoscopic 3D added immensely to the drama. But it it also aided the gameplay: Seen in 3D, the platforms and protrusions that jut from their immense bodies seem to occupy the foreground, making it easier to judge distances and find a safe place to rest when your grip is weakening. And dangling hundreds of feet in the air now gives you a striking sense of vertigo — the ground seems to sprawl endlessly around you, threatening to swallow you up.

Of course, you don’t need a 3D TV to enjoy the other benefits of the Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection. In addition to the new high-res environment textures, the crisp HD resolution brings out cinematic details I missed on the PS2 version, such as tiny birds flying around the head of the first colossus. The framerate now sits at a fluid, solid 30 frames per second, eliminating one of the few complaints of the original game. When I spun the camera angle around, I also noted smooth, natural-looking motion blur. And Trophy support is most definitely in.

Other than the massive graphical overhaul and stereoscopic 3D support, this is the same Shadow of the Colossus that you know and love. The minimalist story, gameplay, unique controls, and user interface are identical. You know what they say: Don’t mess with a good thing.

The Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection is scheduled to arrive on the PS3 in spring of 2011. Are you interested in trying the game in stereoscopic 3D? Let us know in the comments.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ VendettaLion on December 11th, 2010 at 4:58 am said:

Can’t wait to play this title in 3D…

+ emvipee23 on December 11th, 2010 at 5:47 am said:

It’s a masterfully understated, beautifully simple, engrossing ride that’s as palpitatingly thrilling as it is serenely calming. It’s also one of the most consistently compelling and memorable games i ever played (or witnessed, for that matter)and its coming to Playstation 3 with 3d.

+ illthreat on December 11th, 2010 at 6:03 am said:

Awesome, can’t wait. 3D on PS3 rocks!

FYI- There are lots of 3d tv makers. I’m running a Mitsubishi 73″ and love it.

+ HeidiPoe on December 11th, 2010 at 6:35 am said:

No, please don’t put it in 3D. Or if you do, at least give the option to play it in 2D as well. If it’s exclusively 3D, I won’t buy it, and that will make me very sad because Shadow of the Colossus is my favorite PS2 game.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 11th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

Oh, of course. 2D and HD is fully in and looks great. 3D is purely optional.

+ TRYADD on December 11th, 2010 at 6:36 am said:

i can not wait for this in 3d..if you havent tried motorstorm in 3d you should..love my new tv !!

+ Berae on December 11th, 2010 at 6:37 am said:

@98 HeidoPoe

Nothing is exclusive in 3D…and will probably never happen, at least in the coming years

+ Zezzler on December 11th, 2010 at 6:47 am said:

I can’t wait to see a firm release date. i have always wanted to play Ico!

+ MoneyMaker110 on December 11th, 2010 at 6:53 am said:

i played both games on ps2 and can’t wait to do it again in HD. i’ll have to wait to partake in the 3D but it’ll be there when i’m ready.

+ xxnike629xx on December 11th, 2010 at 6:58 am said:

I missed out on both of these on the PS2. I think I might give them a short with this HD Collection.

“Are you interested in trying the game in stereoscopic 3D? Let us know in the comments.”

My answer is yes and no.

Although it seems like it’ll be interesting to play games in 3D, I’m not liking the fact that I need to buy a very expensive TV and the expensive 3D glasses.

What I do want is to eventually be able to at least try it with my own 3DTV, but not until the price of the TVs are within affordable range, and until you can simply turn on or off the 3D function without the need for those glasses.

Don’t say that it’s impossible. Nintendo actually managed to do this with their upcoming Nintendo 3DS handheld. Let’s hope that Sony can “1-up” Nintendo by releasing a PSP2 with 3D options without the need for glasses and have HD gaming on it. The 3DS is looking to have about GameCube/Wii level of graphics which is a pretty big jump from the DS. The PSP has about the same level as PS2 graphics (minor graphics effects can’t look as crisp and some jaggies here and there, but the games are still amazing none the less).

+ alok893 on December 11th, 2010 at 7:14 am said:

People Who Haven’t Played Ico please play it.Ico is the Inspiration for games right now.It’s Fumito Ueda’s First Masterpiece!

+ platanasos on December 11th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

i love this game! i beat part 2 already but they added new trophies!

+ platanasos on December 11th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

i still need to beat part 1!

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on December 11th, 2010 at 9:48 am said:

Normally I don’t play a game again (unless its that good) if i’ve played it before and its just re-released or something…but this is more than good and an instant replay

+ Handbrain on December 11th, 2010 at 9:56 am said:

I’m definitely going to get this, but I don’t give a flying @&$# about stereoscopic 3D. Are there plans to HD-ifiy R&C and the Jak games? As if I had to ask…

+ iamwatson on December 11th, 2010 at 10:20 am said:

Im so psyched for this! I just bought a 46″ sony 3d tv

+ julianro on December 11th, 2010 at 10:23 am said:

hey Sid, quick question for you, do u have any news of any plans to get this collection on PSN at the same time they hit retailers?
like you guys did with GoW but faster…?

+ Megaman1025 on December 11th, 2010 at 10:31 am said:

I cant wait for this collection to come out! I played through the shadow of the collosus but didnt have the chance to play ico. so i am looking forward to getting this game!

+ godkiller_3 on December 11th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

So what is the next PS3 collection after this one ?????????????/

+ dragon_frost on December 11th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

@Sid Shuman…What’s the chances of a shadow of the colossus 2 or ico 2 this gen?

Btw..Shadow of the Colossus in 3D looks great awesome job!

Thank you!

+ lyfestory on December 11th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

never got to play the amazing Shadow of the Colossus, so this new version i may just have to get… still have Ico tho, and that was also amazing…. these games truly are art…

+ Jinjuri on December 11th, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

WOW! It was epic on the ps2, and now… I don’t know what word could describe the epicness of this one… Awesomepicness??? Now if only they could do a Star Fox version for the ps3, with the move and the first person and the 3D and the technology and the 38 player online and the customization, my life would be complete

+ sword_script523 on December 11th, 2010 at 1:12 pm said:

I am VERY excited for the release of this title. I heard such good things about it the first time around that I have to play it for myself!

+ madtyger on December 11th, 2010 at 1:46 pm said:

I would love to play this in 3D, too bad doing so gives me migraines.

+ Thrill_Kill on December 11th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

Awesome! Its great to see more 3D support for my new Panasonic Viera 3DTV! I loved the original on PS2 and put more hours into that game than any Final Fantasy game! I will love replaying this masterpiece in HD and in 3D this spring! Awesome news to hear this morning!

+ MIA_Philly on December 11th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

This is a game that should have left trophies out. It should have been left in its purest form. Day one purchase for me.

+ Ezzeppelin on December 11th, 2010 at 4:07 pm said:

happy i get to play shadow of the colossus again
can’t wait

+ Spacerac on December 11th, 2010 at 4:30 pm said:

I missed out on these even though I wanted to play them when I was younger. Definitely not missing out this time.

+ osricenpatt on December 11th, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

Sid, the only concern I have: Does this HD Collection have the game running real-time (cutsecenes I mean here) all the time? Or they are prerendered as in GoW Collection?
GoW Collection was AWESOME but prerendered cutscenes were AWFUL (native PS2 resolution in all of them).
This collection has real-time cutscenes? How to know: Using the right analog stick and the R1 or R2 button (I don’t remember well) to zoom in and move around during a cutscene. If it’s real time, you’ll be getting the movement (like in MGS4: GoTP for instance) and if it’s not real time… Well… Nothing happens.

Sid Shuman's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on December 11th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

If I recall, most/all the cinemas in SOTC were in real-time, so no issue. Can’t speak to Ico (never played it!), but this is another question I’ll ask.

+ Spacerac on December 11th, 2010 at 4:35 pm said:

“Are there plans to HD-ifiy R&C and the Jak games? As if I had to ask…” – Handibrain

Not only those two, but the main 3 Ape Escape games as well?

+ gilgamesh21 on December 11th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

Loved them on PStwo, and am really looking forward to playing them on Playstation 3! Just looking forward to the higher res graphics! : )

+ WanderingMind11 on December 11th, 2010 at 11:07 pm said:

I’d love to play this in 3D.

+ jdeamaral on December 12th, 2010 at 6:13 am said:

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!
With new games a playin’ I gotta keep sayin’
We’ll spread some good cheer!

It’s the most wonderful time…
Playing games all of the time…

It’s the most wonderful time of the year!

Merry Christmas every one.
When I see you, I’ll definitely frag you!!!

+ Mike78Larsen on December 12th, 2010 at 4:20 pm said:

This game was amazing for the PS2 and I cant wait for the PS3 version. Trophies a must for this game! Hope they make more games for this story line

+ Ryusennin on December 15th, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

One question that haven’t seen answered:

Is Ico HD based on the original Japanese/US version or the European “director’s cut”? The latter featured exclusive functions like 2-player support, unlockable subtitles and the lightsaber.

I’ve asked Bluepoint themselves, but they told me they couldn’t talk about those specifics before the release date.

+ Gitaroo on December 15th, 2010 at 8:37 pm said:

is this game going to have proper digital 5.1 surround sound? So far all the HD remix use audio from the original PS2 version, like GOW collections only support dolby prologic 2, and sly 1 from the sly collection doesn’t even have surround sound at all, only Sly 2 and 3 which are both pro logic 2. The menu itself and the newly added mini games are DD 5.1.

+ shaikh_irfan on January 3rd, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

Super-excited! Looking forward for the release..

PAGE 1 2 3