PS4-Watch_Dogs

Marvel’s Top 5 ‘What the–?!’ Things About X-Men Arcade, Coming Tomorrow to PSN

Chris Baker's Avatar + Posted by Chris Baker on Dec 13, 2010 // Manager, Licensed Games, Marvel Studios

Joining Marvel Pinball on the PlayStation Network this Tuesday, X-Men Arcade holds a special place in my Marvel-loving heart and even helped shape my knowledge of the Marvel Universe at a fairly young age. OK, so maybe it was off in a few ways – and that’s what I’m counting down here today.

X-Men Arcade holds up as one of the greatest beat-‘em-up games of its era, and if you were a fan of it when it came out, I think you’ll agree that the 18-year wait for a console version was definitely worth it… but not only for gameplay fun and nostalgia. A big part of the game’s charm playing it now is something we didn’t really think twice about back in 1992 – powers that went beyond characters’ capabilities, laughable in-game dialogue, and other oddities, for example. In other words, the kinds of things that the person with my job at Marvel would strike down in a game design document the moment we see them crop up in a current game. But for this one, we’re letting it all slide.

X-Men Arcade for PS3 (PSN)

If you know your Marvel, you might remember a comics series called WHAT THE–?! from the ‘80s (you may have even seen a series of hilarious videos thanks to Marvel.com). So, with that in mind, here are what I would consider the top five “What the–?!” things about X-Men Arcade…

X-Men The Arcade Game for PS3 (PSN)X-Men The Arcade Game for PS3 (PSN)

5. The Juggernaut’s self-esteem boost. It’s been well established in the comics that “nothing can stop the Juggernaut,” so the dude normally just pretty much rampages through anything in his way, and that’s that. But in X-Men Arcade, he must have been feeling a little less unstoppable – so he started packin’ a bazooka. I suppose there’s a more logical explanation, though. Maybe he just thinks bazookas are awesome, so decided now was the time to try one out. After all, he can easily carry one like a piece of paper given his strength, and at the end of the day he’s just a dude. And part of being a dude is inherently knowing that bazookas are awesome.

X-Men Arcade for PS3 (PSN)

4. Who am I fighting? We all know the bosses in X-Men Arcade pretty well: In their own words, Pyro will burn you to toast, nothing moves the Blob, and the White Queen welcomes you to die, to name a few. But who are these shlubs I’m clobbering the rest of the time? Lizard dudes? Little mini-Krakoas? Some kinds of Sentinels I’ve never seen? None of these guys look quite like anything I’ve ever seen in the comics, nor the “Pryde of the X-Men” cartoon on which the game is actually based. But let’s just assume those last foes I mentioned are indeed Sentinels…

X-Men Arcade for PS3 (PSN)

3. Why is Magneto working with Sentinels?! Even if the common enemies you’re taking on all the time are just some sort of Sentinel-type robot, Magneto’s still working with the nastiest Sentinel of them all, in Nimrod, plus the huge one above that shows up out of nowhere delivering “mini-Krakoas” and Reavers from his mouth. Ehh, who cares about the “why”? Let’s just say Magneto’s controlling them all with his magnetism powers and call it a day.

X-Men Arcade for PS3 (PSN)

2. Can he really do that? Quick answer: No. Nightcrawler can’t zap you when he teleports (pictured above). Wolverine can’t shoot lasers from his claws your way. Nor can Colossus flex and go “RAWWWAAAARRRRR!!!” to send you to kingdom come. It’s all kinds of fun to do all those things in the game, though!

X-Men Arcade for PS3 (PSN)

1. What did you just say, Magneto?… For being one of the most brilliant super villains in the history of comics, Magneto sure says some silly things. My favorites: “X-chickens!” he taunts during the final battle. “I am Magneto! Master of Magnet!” he proclaims with the audacity to make master of unlocking Jill Valentine jealous. And, finally, one of the greatest pieces of videogame dialogue of all time: “X-Men… Welcome to die!”, which we made sure could be heard at the end of the game’s trailer…

So, yeah… None of those things would be presented the same way if this were a new game going through today’s typical Marvel approval process for games. But it’s not, and all of this ridiculousness is still 100 percent completely in tact. I wouldn’t have it any other way….

PAGE 1 2

+ moriarty1975 on December 13th, 2010 at 4:45 pm said:

Any news on a E.U release date?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:08 pm said:

Sorry, I don’t have that information. I’d suggest asking @Konami on Twitter.

+ Mucudadada on December 13th, 2010 at 4:47 pm said:

Hello childhood. Welcome back.

*hug*

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:08 pm said:

I’m pretty sure I can see your childhood making its way to hug you back.

+ JrXC on December 13th, 2010 at 4:52 pm said:

Looks pretty cool, I might check it out.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:13 pm said:

Please do!

+ mexicasian50 on December 13th, 2010 at 4:53 pm said:

Where is my Uncharted 2 Static theme?!?!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

Not a clue, my friend! But I’ll be happy to answer any questions you have about X-Men Arcade…

+ SirTrigalot on December 13th, 2010 at 4:56 pm said:

I’m da Juggernaut (you fill it in)

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:08 pm said:

“Nice person”? :-)

+ Phoenix8387 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

This’ll be the first thing I download tomorrow after the update.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

Good call! And then the second thing can be Marvel Pinball. Both are totally worth the $9.99…

+ KwietStorm on December 13th, 2010 at 5:14 pm said:

lol funny post. Can’t believe I’m actually gonna be playing this game on Playstation 3.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:09 pm said:

Glad you liked it! And yes, it’s finally for real!

+ mixedkidbx on December 13th, 2010 at 5:32 pm said:

I wish they would have spent time to update the graphics. This was one of the games i used to play back when there were these things called “arcades” in the 80′s.

Updated graphics would have made this great. Trophies would have been good too

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:10 pm said:

But…it has Trophies… Who said it doesn’t have Trophies?…

+ angelspawn77 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:35 pm said:

Very cool, might pick this up. Any demo?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:11 pm said:

I’m actually not sure about that. Maybe just watch some gameplay on Youtube? It’s pretty straightforward punch/kick kind of stuff… :-)

+ Dragun619 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:52 pm said:

This will have 6 Player Local Co-op right? Along with a $10 price tag? Perfect for the holidays if true. I was really worried when I read that X-Men Arcade was XBL Exclusive for 2 months. Glad to see it arrive on PSN tomorrow. :) Instant Buy.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

Right on all counts!

+ spideyal on December 13th, 2010 at 5:56 pm said:

Dibs on Wolverine. And like Dragun619 said, I hope it’s 6 players local. Since the PS3′s max controllers active can be 7. So games like this would be the perfect fit.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:12 pm said:

Yep… It’s six-player local on PS3.

+ Neil on December 13th, 2010 at 6:01 pm said:

Will buy.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:13 pm said:

Will say “you’re awesome.”

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 13th, 2010 at 6:13 pm said:

price pls.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

$9.99

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 13th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

oh! sorry now i see 9.99$ thanks for reply

+ pureluck13 on December 13th, 2010 at 6:22 pm said:

LOL!! WELCOME TO DIIIEEE! I have to use that line on someone, lmao.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:23 pm said:

It works on all the ladies. Best pickup line of all time.

+ ElCapitanAmerica on December 13th, 2010 at 6:32 pm said:

This is awesome.

Now I read on another blog post that this game will support 6 player co-op? I thought the max number of controllers was 4, does it have some type of online co-op mode?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:36 pm said:

Six-player for PS3, both online and local. (Xbox players have to settle for four-player local.)

+ edyrfaciola on December 13th, 2010 at 6:33 pm said:

LMAO
yeah
Who said it doesn’t have Trophies?
day 1 purchase, but I’m confused
Marvel Pinball is a standalone game or an add-on to Zen Pinball?
Love pinball games gonna buy anyway

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:37 pm said:

On PSN, it’s its own game. Totally worth it if you like pinball and Marvel. 8.5 in Game Informer!

+ gdogg666 on December 13th, 2010 at 6:34 pm said:

omg i so want this game but my ps3 yellowed light on me sadly last week any chance u can ask konami about the simpsons arcade game to come to the psn as well?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:38 pm said:

I’d love to see Simpsons as well, but since that’s not related to Marvel, I have no say in that. Hopefully we’ll see it at some point, though!

+ ElCapitanAmerica on December 13th, 2010 at 6:35 pm said:

Pyro, Wendigo, Magneto … and Juggernaut with a bazooka, what else could you ask for?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Wendigo in a tropical environment, as well. He’s usually in the Canadian wilderness. That’s one of the “What the–?!”s that didn’t quite make the cut.

+ mixedkidbx on December 13th, 2010 at 6:43 pm said:

I didnt know if it had Trophies or not. My mistake….

So yeah back to those mysterious things called “arcades” i had mention… lol

+ MoneyMaker110 on December 13th, 2010 at 6:53 pm said:

i had some knowledge of x-men then because there was a few ‘book’ stores around that carried comics, and would check them out on the rack, especially on trips to the mall and arcade. remember spider-man in shinobi i think it was?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:07 pm said:

Yep… Revenge of Shinobi on the Genesis. It even had an unlicensed Batman in it.

+ Istyle318 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:07 pm said:

So you telling me that me and 5 of my workers can all play this online??? and will it have trophies or voice chat, cause we’re old school we spent more than $10.00 to beat this at the arcade in the 90′s. will mics work as well so we can talk about random stuff while feeling old?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

You can definitely play online. I THINK you can talk to your coworkers at the same time, but I haven’t actually played it online to know for sure. Maybe @Konami on Twitter can tell you.

+ HeLLeVeN11 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:08 pm said:

haha funny post Chris for an awesome game. Just not sure for what console i’ll buy it yet a PS3 demo would be great.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:09 pm said:

Glad you liked it! It was fun to write. It’s the same thing on both consoles, but PS3 has six-player local multiplayer (only four on Xbox).

+ FFXI-Gaara on December 13th, 2010 at 7:09 pm said:

Thanks for bringing this to PSN haven’t played this since i was a kid. Um… any chance we can get Metamorphic Force one day? ^^;

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:10 pm said:

Well, I work for Marvel, not Konami, so you’re asking the wrong guy. Glad you’re excited for X-Men, though!

+ TEKNOMAN- on December 13th, 2010 at 7:15 pm said:

Yes!!! So glad this is coming out and with online co-op.

Man I remember playing this arcade at Pizza Hut. Makes you really stop and appreciate how far console games have come.

Now I just need a re-release of Captain America and the Avengers…

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:11 pm said:

Ah, another classic. I’d love to see that too. You never know, but getting these older licensing deals sorted out for a modern release can be tricky.

+ LilWayneSuckz on December 13th, 2010 at 7:16 pm said:

This game WILL have trophies, obviously

+ xxnike629xx on December 13th, 2010 at 7:19 pm said:

With this game coming, I have a feeling that these games will also eventually get a PSN release.

X-men vs. Street Fighter
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter
Marvel vs. Capcom
And while we’re at it, why not get the other vs. games up on PSN like

Capcom vs. SNK PRO
Capcom vs. SNK 2
SVC Chaos: SNK Vs. Capcom

+ The1stMJC on December 13th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

I love you Konami and Marvel

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

Aw, thanks…

+ gdogg666 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:28 pm said:

but i also must say thank you marvel and konami i used to play the crap out of this game at chuck e cheese lol

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:14 pm said:

About time to play some more, right?

+ Akira257 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:30 pm said:

God, I can’t wait for this game! I still remember beating it with my best friend and 4 total strangers one day at an arcade in the mall. Good times. Any word on if the Spider-Man arcade game is on the way too?

As for why Magneto would work with the Sentinels, he was actually trying to help the X-Men learn the Sentinels weaknesses. So he used his engineering knowledge to reprogram them to test the X-Men so that they would be ready for the inevitable Mutant-Human War.

That good enough for a No-Prize? ;-)

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:15 pm said:

No-Prize granted! Stan would be proud. (As for Spidey, my response to comment 25 can basically be copied and pasted.)

+ necroticart on December 13th, 2010 at 7:31 pm said:

It’s nice to see this on the PSN supporting six players, since the arcade version had to mirror a monitor to get the dual screens in order to get the same results. and, just out of curiosity why don’t you release the art for those trying to restore the old cabs to their former glory. It was such a great looking cab.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

Good question! We wanted to, but believe it or not, we simple didn’t have the original art or files that could render the art in high resolution.

+ Venom65437 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:34 pm said:

I can’t f’n wait to have this game!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

Just a few more hours…

+ Roguejedi5 on December 13th, 2010 at 7:45 pm said:

After all these years i’m finally going to get to play on a console :) Thanks!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:17 pm said:

You’re more than welcome!

+ Tank_Baked on December 13th, 2010 at 7:49 pm said:

lol this is a no brainer!! I spent more than $10 many,many times on this game in the arcade in single outings.

Since you are answering questions,is dlc at all a possibility for this title? I mean like new characters.

Also see what you can do about getting us some avatars for this game in one of the next few psn store updates please and thank you .

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:19 pm said:

Well, getting the licensing clear for the game itself was hard enough. You can never rule anything out, but that’s not something we can do at the moment, unfortunately.

+ AlexLucard on December 13th, 2010 at 7:50 pm said:

As a long time owner of the Captain America and the Avengers arcade cabinet, thank you for putting this on PSN so I don’t clutter up my living room with another 400lb gaming system.

Now, what about Spider-Man the arcade game? It has Hawkeye and Namor!!! Oh and that Ben Reily or Peter Parker guy. I can never remember which is which…

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:20 pm said:

Heh… Well, see comment 30. Then see comment 25. :-)

+ SkyNet003 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:23 pm said:

I’ll get it tomorrow; with OutRun, Mortal Kombat Street Fighter and World Heroes, they were my reasons to go to an arcade, back then.

Ahhh, my 9 years…

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:21 pm said:

What, no Dragon’s Lair II: Time Warp?

+ WhiteF8ng on December 13th, 2010 at 8:28 pm said:

YEEEESSSSS!!!!!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:22 pm said:

Well said.

+ PullusPardusUS on December 13th, 2010 at 8:39 pm said:

Welcome to BUY!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:22 pm said:

Even better said! (Than comment 37.)

+ bgenius on December 13th, 2010 at 9:08 pm said:

Nice.. Looks fun

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:23 pm said:

Yep. It is.

+ iTofuMan on December 13th, 2010 at 9:10 pm said:

TOMORROW!

seriously cant wait ill be buying this once it comes out on the PSN.

Now hopefully The Simpsons Arcade can come out!

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:24 pm said:

I hope so too! Sadly, I have absolutely zero influence there for ya…

+ xaos on December 13th, 2010 at 9:13 pm said:

Definitely looking forward to this; dibs on Storm and the… what the hell was it… a riding crop or something that she was carrying?

And if you have any meetings slated at Activision, please mention to them that I’d really love the Ultimate Alliance games, Spidey 3 game and X-Men Legends 2 for PSP all to make their way on to PSN :)

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:28 pm said:

Ha! I don’t know what you call thing, to be honest. Another “What the–?!”, I supposed… :-)

+ gdogg666 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:18 pm said:

ohhh i so will play this once my ps3 is fixed sadly hey any chance this may get ported to the psp??? or what?!?!?!?!?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:30 pm said:

You can never rule anything out, but right now it’s just PSN and that other online console.

+ MadMeat001 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:24 pm said:

damn i which this was on Psp!

+ candycabngfl on December 13th, 2010 at 9:34 pm said:

I have owned a 6 player X-Men machine since 1995 or so.
Its fun to play through now and then with a few friends. In reality the game isnt all that great as brawlers go but the presentation of this game in a fully working 6 player cabinet has to be experienced to really appreciate it.

+ THE-KZA on December 13th, 2010 at 9:38 pm said:

what are the chances that captain america and the avengers and spider-man the arcade come out?

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:48 pm said:

You can never rule anything out, but it’s not as easy to get older licensed games out there as it might seem.

+ Zarxce on December 13th, 2010 at 9:38 pm said:

I have a bad feeling that the nostalgia is going to hit me full force…and before I know it, I will be jamming quarters into my PS3s disc slot. I hope that’s covered in the warranty….

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:47 pm said:

Just make sure there’s a disc in there already. Then it’ll just seem like the quarter slot is jammed. (Always hated when that would happen…)

+ candycabngfl on December 13th, 2010 at 9:42 pm said:

[IMG]http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/4105/641/1600/elvis%204.jpg/[/IMG]

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:46 pm said:

Awesome. I’m jealous.

+ ericscolon on December 13th, 2010 at 9:45 pm said:

First I remember going through five bucks in quarters in one sitting at the arcade with this game it literally is the reason I like X-MEN.
Have you guys ever thought about getting as many old Marvel games as you can and putting them in a collection like Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection, i would love to play Separation Anxiety and Maximum Carnage again.

+ candycabngfl on December 13th, 2010 at 9:50 pm said:

I have a 4 player Spider-Man too, it looks nice but game play is very mediocre. That said I would buy both when/if they make it to PS3.

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 9:53 pm said:

I’d love to find one out there somewhere. Never did have quite enough quarters to beat it back in the day…

+ candycabngfl on December 13th, 2010 at 9:58 pm said:

Yeah that game eats quarters like Gauntlet II :) If you are in Ca near the Bay Area the Spider-Man could easily be for sale :)

+ Chris Baker on December 13th, 2010 at 10:06 pm said:

Ha… Used to be Bay Area, but Marvel’s in L.A. Not sure I’d have the space for a cabinet anyway! Love the idea of it, though. :-)

PAGE 1 2