PS4 - Transistor

SingStar Update: European Track Catalog Coming, 64 Songs Coming 12/15

David Thach's Avatar + Posted by David Thach on Dec 13, 2010 // Sr. Manager, International Software Development

I’m excited to share some great news regarding the US SingStore. Many of you have expressed your frustration over the months on the difference in songs on the US and European SingStore. Your voices have been heard and we’re happy to announce today that we have secured an agreement in the US with Universal Music, the world’s leading music company.

singstar

So what does this mean for you SingStar fans? This means that moving forward SingStar updates will be one and the same for both stores, and that fans in the US will have access to the same great music and artists as our friends across the pond. In addition to delivering new Universal content to the SingStore, we’ll also be going back and releasing tons of songs in large updates that previously have only been available on the European SingStore as our way of thanking you for your patience as we worked to negotiate this contract.

So, get ready as the first update with Universal content is coming this Wednesday, December 15th. Over 64 new songs will be added to the store this week from popular and legendary artists such as Lady Gaga, Rick James, Lil Wayne, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rihanna, U2, Timbland, Black Eyed Peas, Nirvana, and many more. Ten new song packs also will be added to the store and highlights include rockers Bon Jovi and Kings of Leon, as well as packs from Lady Gaga, Jackson 5, and Sum 41. And this is just the beginning, as there will be lots more great Universal content to come in 2011.

For all you SingStar Dance fans, 11 additional SingStore songs from artists including Ciara, Sister Sledge, P!nk and more have been dance enabled for some dancing fun with PlayStation Move. The full track list for this week’s update is included below, as well as the breakdown on song and dance-enabled track pricing. So, if you’re looking for a way to entertain the family during the holiday break, dust off your vocal cords, break out the dancing shoes and get your SingStar on! See you in 2011 with the next SingStore update…

SingStar for PS3: Lady Gaga: Bad RomanceSingStar for PS3: Rihanna: We Ride

• Cheryl Cole, Fight For This Love
  • Cliff Richard, Saviour’s Day
  • David Essex, A Winter’s Tale
  • Diana Ross & The Supremes and The Temptations, I Second That Emotion
  • Doris Day, Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas
  • Duffy, Mercy
  • Elton John, Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long Long Time)
  • Elton John, Step Into Christmas
  • Gwen Stefani, 4 In The Morning
  • Iggy Pop, Real Wild Child (Wild One)
  • James Morrison, You Give Me Something
  • James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado, Broken Strings
  • Johnny Mathis, When A Child Is Born
  • Lady Gaga, Bad Romance
  • Lady Gaga, LoveGame
  • Lady Gaga, Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Lady Gaga, Poker Face
  • The Jackson 5, Mama’s Pearl
  • The Jackson 5, Never Can Say Goodbye
  • The Jackson 5, I’ll Be There
  • The Jackson 5, Dancing Machine
  • The Jackson 5, ABC
  • The Kinks, You Really Got Me
  • The Mamas & The Papas, California Dreamin’
  • The Supremes, Santa Claus Is Coming To Town

• Dancing Machine
  • ABC

SingStar for PS3: Jackson5

Lady Gaga Song Pack – $6.99:

• Bad Romance
  • LoveGame
  • Eh, Eh (Nothing Else I Can Say)
  • Just Dance (Featuring Colby O’Donis)
  • Poker Face

• Tiffany, I Think We’re Alone Now
  • Duran Duran, Hungry Like The Wolf

Soft Rock Ballads Song Pack – $6.99:

• Toto, Hold The Line
  • Mr. Big, To Be With You
  • Whitney Houston, Greatest Love Of All
  • Elton John, Rocket Man (I Think It’s Going To Be A Long Long Time)
  • Foreigner, I Want To Know What Love Is

SingStar for PS3: Soft Rock Ballads

Top Tracks of 2010 Song Pack – $6.99:

• Cheryl Cole, Fight For This Love
  • James Morrison feat. Nelly Furtado, Broken Strings
  • Timbaland feat. One Republic, Apologize
  • Kelly Clarkson, Since U Been Gone
  • Black Eyed Peas, Shut Up

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ BananaFish on December 13th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

This is GREAT NEWS as it had been a LONG TIME since I’ve played Singstar due to lack of support. Give us WIRELESS MICROPHONES and I’ll actually dust off the ole boy and shake the rust off my vocal pipes!

PS I’m certain there is not a ‘legal issue excuse’ for not selling wireless mics in north america. NO EXCUSES. Just do it!

+ Chase167 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:10 am said:

about got damm time

+ davebyron17 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

What about Canada?

+ Mox007 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:13 am said:

Agreed! Great update, lets keep ‘em coming.

+ jelly_bean on December 13th, 2010 at 8:14 am said:

Great job guys… Now Singstar in THE best karaoke game in the world… I’m looking forward to see a huge success over here… This update will be my christmas present… So happy :)

+ NHDrumline17 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

Glad to hear!!! :D

+ UndyingSarge on December 13th, 2010 at 8:16 am said:

AHH YOU NEED MARVIN GAY LETS GET IT ON. Other then that yes singstar is the best karaoke game around

+ Bug42 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:19 am said:

Great News!
Does this me we are finally getting some Depeche Mode?

+ mywhitenoise on December 13th, 2010 at 8:20 am said:

I would NEVER buy any DLC from Singstar, since it’s only allowed on one console…and if anything happens to your console, good luck getting those songs back.

+ Gogaku on December 13th, 2010 at 8:27 am said:

This is nice and all, but just one question… How come the “Top Tracks of 2010″ features such old songs that wasn’t at all in the top during 2010? Maybe it’s the top songs of SingStar and not in the music industry?

+ Feisar on December 13th, 2010 at 8:29 am said:

Guys? TEARS FOR FEARS? Where’s my Head over Heels?

+ Morgus on December 13th, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

The Damned, Mission UK and Siouxsie And The Banshees, WOW.
you seriously made my Xmas.
But, please release some Depeche Mode tracks.

+ TwinDad on December 13th, 2010 at 8:33 am said:

I’m almost speechless.

2nd more Tears for Fears.

+ AmericanNinja1 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:34 am said:

Thank you for listening!

+ usAREM_ on December 13th, 2010 at 8:35 am said:

Wow!!!! Finally!! it took a LOOOOONG time!
I had to create a UK account, bought a lot of songs there, too bad there’s no way to transfer it to my American account, to have all my stuff in only one account.}
However! this is THE news i was expecting!
Thanks a lot!

+ The_FPS on December 13th, 2010 at 8:40 am said:

Wow! Finally! We just bought a whole bunch of songs this weekend. I guess we’ll have to buy even more. I’m guessing easily 50 bucks.

+ guitarded77 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

AWESOME!!!

Rick Astley, Never Gonna Give You Up.

+ Llave on December 13th, 2010 at 8:47 am said:

someone pinch me. I must be dreaming. UMG tracks, Kings of Leon, Bon Jovi..just for this i’ll buy SingStar Dance.

+ ixnine on December 13th, 2010 at 8:52 am said:

Neat! It’s been a while since I’ve downloaded some new songs from the SingStore. Thanks, Sony!

+ reubensitos on December 13th, 2010 at 9:03 am said:

Oh My Lanta…. now this is unreal… its about TIME! This makes me quite happy, my neighbors not so much… lol

+ usAREM_ on December 13th, 2010 at 9:07 am said:

Oh by the way! can you let us only buy the add-ons? I create an UK accoutn for singstar songs. and i bought a lot there! but now with this great news i can stay with my American account, but when you try to buy an add on, it won’ let you, because you have to have that song on that account, or have to buy it again. Can you please let to buy only the add on if you already have the song on your HDD?

+ SmoothC911 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:16 am said:

What can be said but wow! A long time coming, but very welcome nonetheless. Thanks for finding a way to get this done & listening to the community; no more UK account needed for me! :)

+ RodSquad1167 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:20 am said:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again.

Not one more penny goes to Singstar until wireless mics are available in the USA.

If that means never, then that’s your loss, not mine.

+ mywhitenoise on December 13th, 2010 at 9:35 am said:

@RodSquad, I would LOVE wireless Singstar mics…and I don’t even own Singstar. They would be really helpful for Rock Band fans.

+ rjejr on December 13th, 2010 at 9:38 am said:

A couple of questions should anybody want to answer:

1. Downloaded the 93MB Singstar Viewer app. from the US store last night and THEN had to download a PATCH (not background downloadable) of -get this – 119MB. For future customers you should fix this.

2. We have the 2 mic Singstar Bundle from 2008 and are getting the Move bundle for Christmas, do we need to buy another game or peripheral for the “Dance” songs?

+ rawstory on December 13th, 2010 at 9:39 am said:

Yeah…we’ll see.

The update includes tons of songs that I already own on old Singstars instead of new songs…and I’m not buying a full pack just to get one Souxsie Sioux song. which is typical. We’ll see if the US gets Depeche Mode etc.

What are the 11 dance enhanced songs?

+ Chase167 on December 13th, 2010 at 9:44 am said:

now give us those wireless mic

+ texas_ride on December 13th, 2010 at 9:54 am said:

yes! thanks a bunch.

+ Jerel on December 13th, 2010 at 10:11 am said:

Hooray! Now where’s my wireless mic? ;)

+ Grouken on December 13th, 2010 at 10:22 am said:

Make Singstar DLC similar to other music games and move it to Playstation Store, I don’t want to miss it in case of PS death.

+ Sassy_pants on December 13th, 2010 at 10:33 am said:

RA RA RA AH AH ROMA ROMAMA AH GAGA OOH LA LA

+ M3wThr33 on December 13th, 2010 at 10:42 am said:

That’s NUTS. You just made my wife’s Christmas.

+ goatowski on December 13th, 2010 at 11:09 am said:

Good job. Good job indeed.

+ VincentVendetta on December 13th, 2010 at 11:17 am said:

David, I love you, man!

+ black26ss on December 13th, 2010 at 11:33 am said:

i been waiting on lil wayne is it going to be more songs of him?

+ Rockstarmd on December 13th, 2010 at 11:36 am said:

That is awesome guys thank you so much for listening to the community that is great news for sure now get us those wireless mics :) Good job though and really pleased. Now just hoping for Singstar Glee

+ TopDogg069 on December 13th, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

Good news. Now just work on getting some more songs from other record labels too and keep the updates flowing.

+ saintaqua on December 13th, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

This is awesome, but to be honest, it’s almost too late.
I’ve already switched over to Rock Band after waiting since launch of the PS3 Singstore for better quality music.
I might pick some up, but my friends just don’t like Sing Star compared to RockBand, and the load times and lag I’ve been experiencing in Sing Star make it difficult for even me to enjoy.

As long as I’m signed in, Sing Star lags and is the only PS3 title I own to do so.

+ J-Wat on December 13th, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

PLEEEEEASE add the rest of the UK store songs quickly. I love the commitment you’ve made here, but action speaks louder than words. 64 songs is a good start, but the UK store is loaded and it is gonna take a long time if you only add 64 songs a week.

+ plaztiksyke on December 13th, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

@38, I agree. The load times in SingStar are *insane*. Whatever it is that is being done serially, needs to be put on the hard drive and parallelized. It’s just ridiculous.

That being said, SingStar has a lot of songs that Rock Band doesn’t; and for a lot of my friends, seeing the music videos is a great part of the experience.

*That* being said, the video and audio quality is pretty bad and draws comments from many different friends such as “this looks like youtube from 2006″. SingStar definitely feels like it hasn’t been optimized for HDTVs.

Hopefully these new tracks from the UK SingStore use better audio and video sources, as well as encoding.

PS: The guitar stuff is sort of fun, but super frustrating since it doesn’t allow for calibration and isn’t very forgiving either. Please fix!

+ bigdaddy6703 on December 13th, 2010 at 1:08 pm said:

@9 I got my songs back. I called Sony and it took about 3 weeks but I was able to download all my songs again.

+ ManaKnight on December 13th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

I’m so happy. I plan to download A LOT. Love the dance songs too.

+ Tyrsis on December 13th, 2010 at 2:33 pm said:

WHERE
ARE
THE
WIRELESS
MICROPHONES.

+ CelicaCrazed on December 13th, 2010 at 3:25 pm said:

SUM41!! YES!! :D

Now from Universal, I would also like Metric, Arkells, Mumford & Sons, Silversun Pickups, Alexisonfire, Cage The Elephant, Florence + The Machine, K-OS, Rise Against, Dirty Heads, Down With Webster, The Fratellis…..uh, well let’s start with that before I spend the rest of the day reading/listening to Universal’s site ^_^

+ WWESuperstar on December 13th, 2010 at 4:11 pm said:

Nice. I’ve been trying to buy Dance for the longest. I shall do very soon now

+ Chapulin140 on December 13th, 2010 at 5:37 pm said:

Thank you soooooo much!!! can’t wait to download all the songs.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

+ Senjutsu_Dav on December 13th, 2010 at 6:14 pm said:

WOW, that’s a great moment for all of us. My god, this is UDGE, and really appreciated. We always wanted to buy great musics but the best around was songs like “cotton eyed joe”… lol (Not that I didn’t buy it, haha).

This is a nice move, I was thinking about moving to karaoke rvolution but why the hell now? =D

+ lokashnow on December 13th, 2010 at 7:05 pm said:

Thank god it is about time, the wife has been going bonkers about not having all the songs that were available in Europe. Thank you SCEA!

+ subadictos on December 13th, 2010 at 8:03 pm said:

Please… MOTOWN!!!
I love the tracks of “Singstar Motown”, but it’s impossible to get it here in Chile.
I promise to buy every song!!!

+ Squiggy2010 on December 13th, 2010 at 8:21 pm said:

Drunk girlfriend and her tone-deaf posse – 1.
Boyfriend – 0.