PS4-Watch_Dogs

Recording the Gran Turismo 5 Soundtrack

Lang Lang's Avatar + Posted by Lang Lang on Dec 14, 2010 // World-Renowned Classical Pianist

Gran Turismo is my absolute favorite racing game – the speed, combined with the realism of the graphics and the sound, really gets my heart pumping. My schedule gets really crazy, and it feels great to just be able to relax and enter this thrilling world of car racing.

I was so excited to be asked to perform music for the soundtrack. Combining music and technology has always been something I’m passionate about, and this was the perfect opportunity. It might seem incongruous at first – classical music and video games – but the more we delved into what we could do with the music, the more excited I got. Classical music reflects the same passion and intensity as racing, and hearing these musical pieces that have stood the test of time for centuries brings a whole new element to sensation of racing.

When I recorded the music for GT5 in the studio, I felt like I was racing on the track – it was really thrilling. I’m sure this music will bring more passion and excitement to the game when you play too.

Lang Lang: GT5 Official Soundtrack

About the soundtrack:

World-renowned pianist Lang Lang is known for his passion for new technologies and his constant endeavors to bring classical music to new audiences. Recently, Lang Lang recorded the classical music that appears throughout Gran Turismo 5. The official soundtrack features famous piano works by Chopin, J.S. Bach, Tchaikovsky, Prokofiev, Joplin, Holst and Beethoven – all works being used in the various parts of the game. Prokofiev’s “Precipitato” appears prominently in its entirety in the first half of the opening sequence. Sony Classical will release the soundtrack digitally via all major service providers on December 14th and physically the week of December 20th.

Lang Lang says, “Gran Turismo is the most exciting racing game in the world and I have been a fan of it for many years. I feel honored to have this opportunity to connect with people who have never been in a concert hall before and show them that classical music is not just a part of history, but is actually very present and relevant today.”

Lang Lang: GT5 Official Soundtrack: Hamburg

28 Comments

+ Elvick_ on December 14th, 2010 at 2:02 pm said:

Awesome music

+ vectorman88 on December 14th, 2010 at 2:06 pm said:

yea sountrack is great! will it be available anywhere? itunes? PSN?

+ yazter on December 14th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Ok.

+ jimmyfoxhound on December 14th, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

holy cow, that is some amazing piano playing!!! It’s great to see classical pieces in a game like that, so cool!

+ utopianacht on December 14th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

awesome work..

+ spatsnaz on December 14th, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

It’s cool of you to post here and share your thoughts. I’m a big fan of your recordings so I just preordered the soundtrack! :)

+ madtyger on December 14th, 2010 at 2:16 pm said:

I already have this CD pre-ordered, can’t wait to get it.

+ SoYoung on December 14th, 2010 at 2:18 pm said:

I thought that the GT5 soundtrack include the liscenced music, not the menu music ? :S Sorry but I’ll dont buy this.

+ Edd on December 14th, 2010 at 2:20 pm said:

Awesome, I love the classical music used in GT5 (this piano piece is actually one of my favorites) because it gives the game a sense of elegance and grace but at the same time adds to the feeling of intensity, plus it mixes really well with some of the more contemporary music that GT5 offers, I really like the soundtrack for the most part.

GT5 is absolutely amazing by the way, I had never been a huge racing game fan (especially simulators) but this game is in a league of its own as far as I’m concerned, this is probably the most addicting game I’ve played this generation. So thanks and good job to all of the hard working people at Polyphony Digital.

+ RoecraticA on December 14th, 2010 at 2:23 pm said:

looks good.

+ spatsnaz on December 14th, 2010 at 2:24 pm said:

And just to add to my last post, your rendition of Bach’s Jesus bleibet meine Freude in the credits sequence almost brought me to tears.

+ keniken on December 14th, 2010 at 2:28 pm said:

Great talent wasted on an unfinished game, but hey atleast that part works. No wonder nfs hot pursuit won the vga’s and came out on time with all the features actually working. Unlike the head tracking feature, which barely works in arcade mode. Or the online mode, which also barely works. Or the fact that most of the reward cars are from GT4 with pixelated graphics. And lets not forget that there is a good chance that you may lose data and have to start again.
Playstion, it only does everything..including the greatest game FAIL of all time.

+ Gogo_ZvC on December 14th, 2010 at 2:31 pm said:

@12 Good thing you show you do nothing productive at any time, you’re the greatest human FAIL of ever.

+ Gogo_ZvC on December 14th, 2010 at 2:32 pm said:

That piano playing was beautiful!

One of my lifetime goals is to learn to play Simple & Clean by Utada Hikaru on the piano!

+ KingDubin on December 14th, 2010 at 2:46 pm said:

@ #12 keniken:

No, the greatest video game fail of all time was Super Mario Bros. 2. Or Zelda 2: Link Awakening, depending on your taste.

Oh, and BTW, F*** you and go to hell.

+ IGLOO05 on December 14th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Here’s the link to the album on itunes. Good stuff. http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/gran-turismo-5-the-official/id407498133

+ poweredbyzen on December 14th, 2010 at 2:59 pm said:

wow, lang lang?! big name for a big game?! nice collaboration!

+ PullusPardusUS on December 14th, 2010 at 3:01 pm said:

i wish you guys would add the “Moon over the Castle” intro or song to one of the future updates because that piece is what should always be the “Gran Turismo Theme” and i love it so much..

+ KazeEternal on December 14th, 2010 at 3:06 pm said:

Game says Custom Soundtracks, yet I’m unable to play my own music… what is up with that?

+ perrandy on December 14th, 2010 at 3:29 pm said:

okay, but who’s the winner in the gran turismo song contest. remember that?anyways,i dont doubt about the talents of lang lang but for me the best asian/japanese composer is yuki kajiura! XD

other great composers that i like are: yoko kanno & motoi sakuraba :0

+ Burnboy24 on December 14th, 2010 at 5:25 pm said:

@19: Its located in the options menu under audio I believe.

+ bbonds_007 on December 14th, 2010 at 6:25 pm said:

I love GT5 but the soundtrack in this game is absolutely HORRIBLE. For the love of god Sony, make these Japan developers get with the times. The piano and jazz stuff may have worked 15 years ago but not anymore, many of the reviews felt the same way too.

+ chicken636 on December 15th, 2010 at 1:00 am said:

PD ruined your amazing piano work by not leading it into Moon Over the Castle in our version.

+ Rhez on December 15th, 2010 at 1:51 am said:

OH Wow! I got to see Lang Lang perform live with Herbie Hancock at the Hollywood Bowl a few years ago. Yes, it was awesome. He is genuinely talented and has a great personality on stage.

+ TUSTIN1 on December 15th, 2010 at 4:55 am said:

@19 audio settings –> RBG Music –> click on the cog and set up your music.

+ mcbuttz78 on December 15th, 2010 at 9:53 am said:

wow lang lang, is your new album done yet, when should we expect it out.. I didnt know you did the gt5 soundtrack. wow..

+ D020262 on December 22nd, 2010 at 5:59 am said:

Holy cow does the music for this game suck. The best music for racing is rock and jazz is just noise. Thank god I can plug in my walkman and play some proper music. To reiterate Rock music is much more popular and suited to the racing genre.

+ dragonx2x1 on December 27th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

We have started a new site for GT5 gamers.

GTGAMER.NET

The site is full of rich features such as:

** Video Gallery

** Upload your videos

** Photo Gallerys

** Upload you Photos

** Forums

** News feed right from GT5

One of the nicest features is Gran-turismo.com is embedded right in the site.

So you never have to leave your community site to check your stats online!!