Far Cry 4

MLB 11 The Show: Twins All-Star Joe Mauer Returns as Cover Athlete

Eric Levine's Avatar + Posted by Eric Levine on Dec 16, 2010 // SCEA PR Manager

Sports fans -

Today it’s my pleasure to announce that Minnesota Twins All-Star catcher Joe Mauer will be returning as our cover athlete in the latest installment of the best selling baseball franchise, MLB 11 The Show, hitting store shelves on March 8, 2011, just in time for Spring Training! Mauercontinues to be a driving force in Major League Baseball as the premier all-around player in the game and just in case you need convincing, here his 2010 stats—third consecutive Gold Glove, recorded his 1,000th career Major League hit, and finished third in the AL with a .327 batting average, not to mention his 43 doubles rank second on baseball’s all-time list for doubles by a catcher…not too shabby.

Here’s a look at our new MLB 11 The Show cover art featuring Mauer…

MLB 11 The Show

For a rundown of new features in MLB 11, I have some required reading for all of you. Take a look at ESPN.com’s first look impressions of the new game. In the article Jon Robinson writes that…”MLB 11 The Show is anything but a roster update. In fact, this might be the biggest jump in terms of both control and gameplay enhancements the series has ever attempted in a single year.”

And last but not least, two items that I think you’ll be excited about…first, fans who reserve and purchase their copy of MLB 11 The Show for PS3 will receive 30 days of MLB.TV FREE, which gives you live access to every regular-season game in HD with full DVR-controls (blackout
and other restrictions apply, visit MLB.com for more details). Second, to coincide with our launch on March 8th, a new DualShock 3 – MLB 11 The Show Edition will be available at retailers nationwide. Available for $54.99 (MSRP) for a limited time, the newest addition to the DualShock 3 family is perfect for baseball fans and provides the same motion-sensing technology, vibration support, and comfortable grip gamers are already familiar with.

MLB 11: The Show DualShock 3

Welcome to The Show!

65 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ EnigmaNemesis on December 16th, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Love the trailer … this is the best baseball series of all time.

This year is going to be even more spectacular!

+ bigdaddykraven on December 16th, 2010 at 1:00 pm said:

I agree with most that Mauer again is kind of lame…I’m ok with that though but the problem is that automatically makes the game look like MLB 10.5 instead of MLB 11.

I’m a Reds fan and was hoping for Votto but would have been happy with Hamilton, Buster Posey, Cliff Lee or a list of other players.

Oh well I really hope you guys revamped the stats/record tracking in the game. That’s what baseball is all about, stats, records and history. I’d love to bring up a rookie and have him end up my team’s all time-hits leader like Jeter did etc.

Great job though and I’ll buy the game day one like I did MLB 10, even if it was a little disappointing.

+ BananaFish on December 16th, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

MOVE support?

+ mrburrito2010 on December 16th, 2010 at 4:46 pm said:

Awesome this is gonna make a great birthday present for my little brother he’s a baseball fanatic.

+ steviemanic on December 16th, 2010 at 6:17 pm said:

I’d like to see a MLB 11 the show bundle that has a PS3 with a similar design to the controller, a year of mlb.tv, the game, and another controller. Although I was expecting a different cover athlete, Joe Mauer isn’t so bad two years in a row.

+ Keysersoze10033 on December 16th, 2010 at 6:48 pm said:

Getting both the game and controller.

+ lordvader16 on December 16th, 2010 at 7:47 pm said:

Awesome! Will be purchasing the game and controller.

+ SlyCooper420 on December 16th, 2010 at 9:37 pm said:

Controller looks awesome ill buy 1 for sure maybe 2 is the controller only available in the states though or its worldwide game looks even better the cover athlete isent that big a problem but its pretty silly to have mauer for a 2nd straight year Jose Bautista Joey Votto Josh Hamilton Cliff Lee Roy Halladay Buster Posey would have been way better choices

+ SlyCooper420 on December 16th, 2010 at 9:40 pm said:

BTW I am so baked n just re looked at the controller n OH My its so sick whoever thought this design for one is awesome true genius perfectly done amazing good night all

+ SlyCooper420 on December 16th, 2010 at 9:41 pm said:

and with move support sorry for not posting this all n 1 keep forgetting stuff does that mean we can swing the bat with the move thing like wii but it would be alot better cause its not a wii baseball

+ Squall1979 on December 16th, 2010 at 9:52 pm said:

You know a game is approaching perfection when all that can be complained about is who is on the cover.

+ JaY_Ci_415 on December 17th, 2010 at 9:58 am said:

Wow. So no love for the World Series champs?! I mean there is another great cather who was Rookie of the year and was a huge part of our championship called Buster F’N Posey!!!

Mauer is a beats and all but come on. Why him again? The hating never ceases to stop…unbelievable.

Brian Wilson? Timmy? Matt Cain? None of them deserved to be on the cover? WEAK!!!

+ jopete01 on January 1st, 2011 at 12:57 am said:

Is there any chance the show will have Rosenblatt Stadium on it in a couple of years. that would be awesome!

oh and that does not look like Joe Mauer at all!

+ Ryalm on January 7th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

The only thing I can complain about is the cover athlete… Votto, Posey, Halladay, Hamilton, and the list goes on. I did like Mauer on the cover last year, but c’mon… in any case, I can’t wait to see some gameplay footage, and I’m looking forward to March.

Go Giants!

+ My_Slippery_Sack on January 14th, 2011 at 9:18 pm said:

Ah.
Great way to show that the game has Improved.
Except Mauers 2010 season was a major disappointment to his 2009.

Posey/Halladay/Lee/Votto/Hamilton/Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce would have been better picks.

And don’t tell me to not judge a book by its cover.
If I wanted to read, I wouldn’t have bought a PS3.

PAGE 1 2