Far Cry 4

Mortal Kombat Kicks Off PTOM’s List of Biggest Games of 2011

Gary Steinman's Avatar + Posted by Gary Steinman on Dec 17, 2010 // Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

PlayStation: The Official Magazine

We knew it would make the cut. How could it not? After all, Mortal Kombat isn’t just destined to be one of the biggest fighting franchises of 2011, but it’s one of the best we’ve played in a long time. It’s fast, it’s fun, it’s brutal, and it harkens back to the series’ gory glory days. The move to a 2D plane, the giddy celebration of everything that’s great about the Mortal Kombat franchise, the mix of faithful fan-service with future-looking gameplay upgrades: It’s exactly what we at PlayStation: The Official Magazine crave in our heavy hitters.

Then we found out Kratos would be in the game, and that’s all it took for Mortal Kombat to kick, punch, impale, and maim its way to the tippy top of our Hugest Games of 2011 issue.

Not only did we get a sneak peek at Kratos’ in-game model, but we’ve got the first-ever screenshots of the God of War in action—along with this unbelievably gorgeous cover. On stands Dec. 21, the January issue of PTOM has our hands-on impressions of the game, along with razor-sharp insight from series creator Ed Boon and his team at developer NetherRealm. We even have the first images of a newly revealed kontestant, Ermac.

It’s all part of our grand look at what’s hot for 2011, a list that includes massive shooters like Killzone 3 and Rage, magnificent adventures like L.A. Noire and The Last Guardian, and brilliant innovators like Metal Gear Solid: Rising and Child of Eden. Be sure to pick up the issue for new screens, information, and insight into all these games and more!

Also in the January issue: a playtest of four MMOs coming to PS3 (including an in-depth look at DC Universe Online); a list of 51 PlayStation resolutions for the new year; the complete Gran Turismo 5 car list in one handy spread; and dozens of previews and reviews of the latest and greatest PS3, PSP and PSN releases. Don’t miss it!

+ Nintendo451 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:08 am said:

Well…I can’t remember the last time I had a magazine subscription, or even got one for that matter.

Definitely will pick this issue up in January, looks too epic to pass up. Thanks!

+ reson8er on December 17th, 2010 at 11:11 am said:

You guys should really consider a digital version for the iPad, with a subscription model, I’d be all over that.

+ FATHASUN on December 17th, 2010 at 11:22 am said:

The will only be KHAOS!

+ zombie9 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:24 am said:

Kratos, so do we get To use Finishing moves on him. Like rip him in half and tear his head off with our bare hands. I don’t think Kratos needs Mortal Kobat. And probly he should stay in GOW games. But what do I know.

+ antihero-Mike on December 17th, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

Kratos in MK = WIN!

+ Hobartbob on December 17th, 2010 at 11:27 am said:

How do I subscribe?

+ FATHASUN on December 17th, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

I second that idea. Digital version for subscribers available online or an app on the PS3, Android and I-Everything!

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 11:41 am said:

We’re looking into all extensions of PTOM, including the digital versions. Stay tuned…

+ jackdewey on December 17th, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Thanks for the sneak peak on the issue. As a canadian subscriber, I love to get a glimpse of what I’ll be getting in the mail in a couple of weeks.

+ Voodoo_Lou on December 17th, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

“HUGEST”? Really? Ugh.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 11:43 am said:

:) We LOVE our HUGEST games issue. Including the word hugest. So there!

+ PAYBACK-joker on December 17th, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

Yeah, we’ve got the Comics on the PS Store, why not PTOM on there too? PS Store, E-Reader compatible, and iPad/Galaxy Tab would be sweet! I still love getting my copy in the mail and having it in my hands, but having it accessible in a digital format would be awesome as well!!!

Kratos DEFINITELY doesn’t need MK, but MK more than likely needs Kratos to get back into the swing of things!

Can’t wait to read what you guys write up about TM, KZ2, Batman and DCU Online!

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

Interesting idea about who needs who. Really, neither needs each other, but they’re such an astoundingly perfect match. This new MK is supergreat, though, even without Kratos. With Kratos? Supergreater!

+ Link01 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:40 am said:

Isn’t this MK suppose to be in 3D too? They showed it off at the GameStop conference after E3 and I believe that there was mention of it..

+ kenny-1995 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:49 am said:

That Is One Badass Looking Cover, I Must Look At It More.

+ kenny-1995 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

What information does it include about the GT5 Cars?

+ gumi42 on December 17th, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

I love the magazine been a subscriber for a while now (2 years), but I think my postman likes it better than I do. Because he is stealing my magazines, haven’t received the last two issues, and FutureUS tells me it is not a production problem. Here’s hoping I get my super huge holiday issue.

+ mixedkidbx on December 17th, 2010 at 11:58 am said:

I love my subscription to PTOM but i dont like how i receive the mag like a week, maybe 2 weeks, after they hit the streets to the newsstands.

+ mixedkidbx on December 17th, 2010 at 12:00 pm said:

Oh i been a playstation mag subscriber since god knows when. a lot of years :D

+ Maxthunder1 on December 17th, 2010 at 12:13 pm said:

Hmm well considering there hasent been a decent mortal kombat in ages, ill take the wait and see approach. I just dont see why all the excitement , I mean come on folks mortal kombat has gotten worse since mortal kombat 2.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

I can understand your reaction to MK, but the good news is: the team seems to get it too. This is a return to exactly what we loved about the first two MKs, but with the right upgrades. If all continues in the direction they’re moving, it has the potential to be as magical as MK2 was back in the day.

+ BLAZE0900 on December 17th, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

Speaking of awesome games for 2011, you guys should add this link to your PlayStation Conversation thing on the side there: http://scrawlfx.com/2010/12/gallery-2011-in-gaming

The PS-specific stuff is on pages 2 and 4. It REALLY got me hyped. Hope it gets everyone else here hyped too!

+ AlbertPerK21 on December 17th, 2010 at 12:28 pm said:

I had a dream about Mortal Kombat last night – this game will be so epic! FINISH HIM!!!!!!!

+ DZORMAGEN on December 17th, 2010 at 12:35 pm said:

Why the F**K is my Sam & Max still not working!!! I WANT MY MONEY back from SONY!! This Plus thing is getting annoying!!!!!

+ kenny-1995 on December 17th, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

Is this only about MK, i want to know more about GT5 news which is written on the cover.

+ bikerboy845 on December 17th, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

Is this issue out already like could I go pick it up at the store??

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 1:37 pm said:

It’s on stands, officially, on Dec. 21.

+ jimfear on December 17th, 2010 at 1:56 pm said:

Im a subscriber since 3years, i think you should post here more often :)

+ Linconan on December 17th, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!

+ madtyger on December 17th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

That’s actually a pretty cool cover. Can’t wait to get my copy in the mail!

+ The1stMJC on December 17th, 2010 at 2:15 pm said:

Amazon always has deals on subscriptions got myself a sub awhile ago for $5 loving the mag and going to re-up my subscription.

+ kratos1984 on December 17th, 2010 at 2:34 pm said:

cool, i’ll be checking my mail for it. i think i’ve been a subscriber since 2001, really miss getting those demo discs back in the day.

+ chopork87 on December 17th, 2010 at 2:41 pm said:

Can anyone tell me what other MMOs Gary is referring to outside of DC Universe Online?

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 3:15 pm said:

I can! The Agency. Final Fantasy XIV. And Free Realms.

+ subbed on December 17th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

Congrats. I am finally getting a new Mortal Kombat. I cant even remember the last time I did that!

+ MetalGearCrysis on December 17th, 2010 at 2:55 pm said:

@28

I’m guessing FFXIV and The Agency at least.

+ THCanabs on December 17th, 2010 at 2:56 pm said:

Good

+ subbed on December 17th, 2010 at 2:57 pm said:

My comment is more for the devs who wont read this anyhow. :)

+ digitalman123 on December 17th, 2010 at 2:58 pm said:

In the end, THERE WILL ONLY BE CAKE!! Geddit? Cake goes with Chaos! *sighs*
Hey Gary? My friend got a subscription renewal offer that said he could get an extra for free. He said that a month or two ago. Where’s my issues?

+ Ghost-of-SpartaX on December 17th, 2010 at 3:03 pm said:

Time to sing the song Game of the year!Game of the year!Game of the year!Game of the year!Year!Year!Year!Word.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on December 17th, 2010 at 3:17 pm said:

GOTY awards are in our Feb issue, on stands 1/18. But we’re getting ahead of ourselves here… :)

+ digitalman123 on December 17th, 2010 at 3:24 pm said:

What I mean by that [@33] is he gave me the extra subscription. Where’s my issues?
The GOTY awards for PTOM are awesome! On on LBP2′s release date! Sweet, sweet justice.

+ SPADERZ216 on December 17th, 2010 at 3:26 pm said:

I’ve been a subcriber to this magazine for about 10 years now, back when they were the UNofficial Playstation Magazine. This cover looks epic, I can’t wait!! =D

+ Trixzter7 on December 17th, 2010 at 3:38 pm said:

I hope one of Kratos’ fatalities involves him ripping off his opponents head in the way he did Helios.
Now that would be a great thing to show the family at the next get together ^_^

+ fuzzyclutter on December 17th, 2010 at 3:46 pm said:

they still in print ??? i never see them ANYWHERE on Mag Racks anymore . have a digital version ?

+ fuzzyclutter on December 17th, 2010 at 3:49 pm said:

oops … nix digital version request . i just skim comments anymore due trolls and cry babies .

+ Cyb3rfr34k-iso on December 17th, 2010 at 4:32 pm said:

FINISH HIM!
XD

+ Einhander138 on December 17th, 2010 at 5:04 pm said:

Exclusive finishes for retailers?

Ripoff of the year!

+ TheUltimateSword on December 17th, 2010 at 9:57 pm said:

Nice to see kratos as a player (although ive yet to play the gow series, that may be soon) It would be surprising to see them put in a custom character from littlebigplanet. Although that would most likely never happen.

+ SkyDragonc5 on December 17th, 2010 at 10:52 pm said:

@D roots brought back + Kratos = Must Buy. I hated Mortal Combat when it changed. The DC universe one was terrible. This will be awesome though. Go PS3 the best fighting game console!

+ eL_daYa on December 18th, 2010 at 12:57 am said:

Just subscribe to the magazine for 24 issues so I am set. Hope I get this one. So excited about MK, and with Kratos in it it will be like icing on the cake.

+ GodJester on December 18th, 2010 at 5:12 am said:

I can hardly wait grab the new issue. I love the magazine and would have bought it anyway. But now I’m super hyped to read it.

+ Bomb_A_Nation on December 18th, 2010 at 7:00 am said:

Kratos is gonna be sick in this game, wonder if there will be DLC of characters from other games….like batman from the previous game or maybe Cole from infamous!!!!

+ xxnike629xx on December 18th, 2010 at 5:06 pm said:

2011 is going to destroy my wallet.

>_>

Catherine (PS3)
Dead Space 2 (PS3)
Dead Space Extraction (PSN)
Dead Space Ignition (PSN)
Dissida: Duodecim (PSP)
Final Fantasy IV Complete Collection (PSP)
Final Fantasy Agito XIII (PSP)
Final Fantasy Versus XIII (PS3)
Kingdom Hearts RE Coded (DS)
Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (PS3)
Mortal Kombat (PS3)
Mortal Kombat HD Kollection (PS3)
Uncharted 3 (PS3)

Let’s hope that we do get…

Capcom vs. SNK PRO (PSN)
Capcom vs. SNK 2 (PSN)
Final Fantasy III (PSP)
Final Fantasy V (PSP)
Final Fantasy VI (PSP)
King of Fighters XIII (PS3)
King of Fighters Neo Wave (PSN)
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum (PSN)
Marvel vs. Capcom (PSN)
Marvel Superheroes vs. Street Fighter (PSN)
Street Fighter III Third Strike (PSN)
Street Fighter Alpha 3 (PSN)
SVC Chaos: SNK Vs. Capcom (PSN)
Super Gem Fighter Mini Mix (PSN)
X-Men vs. Street Fighter (PSN)
…just to name a few

=D

+ Ozmafire101 on December 18th, 2010 at 7:24 pm said:

DLC of other characters from games would be great. I’m kinda hoping they’ll have Deimos in it too, a little sibling rivalry perhaps?

+ dante93013 on December 19th, 2010 at 10:59 am said:

XXnike629xx
How did you come out with that list??
Marvel vs. Capcom 3??? Daaaaaaamn!!!!!!!! Sounds good !!!

+ Maakasukage on December 19th, 2010 at 2:30 pm said:

Okay even mortal combat/God of war Fans would know Kratos would destroy any MK character. (he killed gods and titans and monsters etc, things stronger than any MK character)