Bloodborne

MotorStorm Apocalypse Dev Diary Details The Festival, New Gameplay Video

Matt Southern's Avatar + Posted by Matt Southern on Dec 21, 2010 // Game Director, Evolution Studios

We teamed up with the guys in the video production department at Studio Liverpool to produce three video diaries focusing on the two main modes in the upcoming MotorStorm Apocalypse. Both modes have been present in every MotorStorm game, but we’re trying to do a lot more with them this time round. This one is all about Festival mode, which is our version of a ‘Campaign.’

There’s a ton of unseen game footage in this video that I hope you like and also some glimpses into the recording of the original soundtrack. It features Paul ‘Rushy’ Rustchynsky, our Lead Designer and handling design guru, and Simon ‘Barlos’ Barlow, our invaluable Assistant Game Director who looks after big chunks of the gameplay features.

We call our more flexible free-play mode ‘Wreckreation,’ and it needs two video diaries to fully explain. They’ll follow soon. For now, enjoy our first video diary focusing on The Festival!

PAGE 1 2

+ footballrule on December 21st, 2010 at 11:25 am said:

Looks great! Can’t wait!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

Thanks! There’s a lot of hard work going into it right now so it will look even better when it’s released in Spring next year!

+ freddyrivas on December 21st, 2010 at 11:26 am said:

i gotta say this game is starting to look amazing i still dont own any of the other 3 titles but definitely time to opt in

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

There’s no time like the present – especially with an apocalypse imminent. ;-)

+ footballrule on December 21st, 2010 at 11:28 am said:

Hopefully we will see a MotorStorm Apocalypse Playstation Home space sometime soon. :)

+ Seeing_Red_Again on December 21st, 2010 at 11:31 am said:

Wow, this looks great. Cant wait to get it

+ Croash on December 21st, 2010 at 11:34 am said:

This looks amazing, it is the first Motorstorm title that I consider buying.
Evolution Studios has done a great job, kudos to you guys.
It will be great to try out the demo when it hits the PSN.

+ KidCommando on December 21st, 2010 at 11:38 am said:

I got the first Motorstorm but skipped the second. I WILL be buying this game though as it looks crazy insane.

Who knew the Apocalypse could be so much fun.

+ footballrule on December 21st, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

I must admit, this will be my first Motorstorm title. I have tried the others via the PSN Demos but never decided to buy them. I will be sure to pick this title up for sure! :)
Kudos Evolution Suudios!

+ remanutd5 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:39 am said:

FACKKKKK looks freaking INSANE !!!!!!! this video MUST be on PSN ASAP , i need to watch it in 1080P , im buying my 3D TV to play Motorstorm Apocalypse , are the Dev Dairy videos on 3D as well ? man my anticipation to have the game on my ps3 is trough the roof !!!! BRUTAL off road racing at its very best , LUNATICS UNITE!!!!!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 11:48 am said:

We’re doing what we can so that the MotorStorm videos released on the blog can be released on PlayStation.Store.

Great to see your enthusiasm and thanks for the comment remanutd5!

+ remanutd5 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:41 am said:

Diary , my bad , too freaking excited lol

+ ArcaneAltair on December 21st, 2010 at 11:42 am said:

Wow. This looks amazing. Definitely going to have to check this out.

+ FredNation on December 21st, 2010 at 11:44 am said:

Just beautiful! I hope theres a demo and pre-order items!

+ KVG88 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:46 am said:

Wow… I haven’t felt this much love for a racing game since Carmageddon!!!

+ RyuuFox on December 21st, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

OMG! I have all the motorsorms even arctic edge on my psp! I’m a huge addict xD This game Look Freaking AWESOME!!! You guys are brilliant with ideas!

+ dragonmagician on December 21st, 2010 at 11:47 am said:

When is the release date? There are already too many cool games in Q1, so hopefully this comes in Q2.

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

The final release date is yet to be confirmed, but MotorStorm Apocalypse is scheduled to release in Spring 2011.

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:50 am said:

There will be tracks that looks like the Air tracks on Pacific Rift ?

Because that tracks are awesome.

+ rebeljd on December 21st, 2010 at 11:51 am said:

This is looking to be my first Motorstorm title purchase and it looks awesome! Great job in broadening the experience in this racer and bringing the thrill to the city. Love it.

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

Thanks! We’ve made a great effort to add more depth to it also, which you’ll learn more about in follow-up blogs next year!

+ brooklyniteOne on December 21st, 2010 at 11:52 am said:

The real questions are will there be wheel support, YouTube export, or a replay mode? A replay mode was sorely missed from the last game. Think of the photos that we could have taken if we could save replays, watch them later and snap photos of the action?!?!

+ poodude on December 21st, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

My friends and I are going to have sooooo much fun with this next year!

+ Heisem on December 21st, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

I think i now understand what they want to achieve with this new iteration of the series…maybe this one is worth buying because i really enjoyed the first one, sad it never had trophy support

+ megachevpro on December 21st, 2010 at 11:53 am said:

man, this game looks so awesome. You guys rock!

+ bbonds_007 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:55 am said:

I dont know, seems a bit too unorganized chaos.

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 12:31 pm said:

It’s certainly intense and there is a lot of unpredictability that you’ll have to read and react to, but I don’t think it’s ever so chaotic as to be detrimental to the experience.

Carefully designed and well balanced multiple-route tracks are at the heart of MotorStorm and even on the most dynamic tracks you can still appreciate this.

+ Hitokiri_03 on December 21st, 2010 at 11:57 am said:

The differences between difficulty levels are the storyline and the AI only, or there will be different tracks (or things happening on the tracks) too ?

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

All of the above! The three stories are interwoven in such a way that each provides a completely unique point of view on how the earthquake transforms the city.

So even though you’ll visit familiar districts you’ll experience them at different points of the weekend, and because the damage is persistent over that weekend you’ll experience drastically different races in the same areas of the city when you play thru with different characters.

+ sethchilders on December 21st, 2010 at 11:59 am said:

@21

Not for Motorstorm, it ain’t. Although they have probably outdone themselves with this, Motorstorm is all about crazy off-road racing.

Personally I can’t wait to get it, and now I’m even more excited to play it now.

+ HeavyD-Love on December 21st, 2010 at 12:03 pm said:

Holy Hell that looks friggin’ awesome

+ King89x on December 21st, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

i never got the 2 games on the ps3 just play the demos but i did get artic edge on the psp and its CRAZY!!! best racing game on the psp just cuz of the mood of the game. and this game looks just like artic edge but urban and with a bit of split second in the mix. CANT WAIT TO GET THIS!!!!

good job guys

+ JLP_M on December 21st, 2010 at 12:05 pm said:

I can’t wait for this! 2011 is Sonys year!

+ niner4life9 on December 21st, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

I hope it is easier to play then the first two. I couldn’t finish either one because near the end of the games you had to run each race perfect or else you wouldn’t win. It got to where it wasn’t fun at all.

+ bankai-steve on December 21st, 2010 at 12:19 pm said:

Do I recall correctly that a demo will be available before launching the game?

+ Teepo_64 on December 21st, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

WOW. Just amazing. Will we have a custom soundtrack option?

I would love that option too!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on December 21st, 2010 at 12:57 pm said:

Custom soundtracks *will* be optional, although the original score and remix for the soundtrack is so incredible that you won’t even want to use it. ;-)

+ Stinkinmushroom on December 21st, 2010 at 12:25 pm said:

That just looks… awesome! And the soundtrack sounds great as usual.

+ T-Jani on December 21st, 2010 at 12:26 pm said:

please add xmb status updates like Need fo speed:HP, so you can see what mode your friends are playing during the game.

+ HaMmOdY on December 21st, 2010 at 12:41 pm said:

I really love MotorStorm, but the speed of the cars is just stupid. you drive with intense and hitting X for nitros but when you let X off you realize you’re driving 40 KM/H loool. seriously gimme the feeling of the speed, Gimme Fuel.

+ Dr_Dekes21 on December 21st, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

When will the pre-order bonus be live on amazon…etc?

+ SykoTech on December 21st, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Good grief. The amount of action going on is insane. Seems like the soundtrack will be very special too.

May be time for me to get into the MotorStorm franchise.

+ xXiRoNcHaOzXx on December 21st, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

man this game is going 2 b so freken awsum

+ scorpio182 on December 21st, 2010 at 1:01 pm said:

Looks awesome!!!

I own both motorstorms for the ps3 but have to admit i didnt play them for too long…let hope this one changes that.

+ x-former on December 21st, 2010 at 1:26 pm said:

So i will not have the ability to pick the type of vehicle I want for each race???
The game picks it for me??? (using the bike vs big rigs example mentioned in the video)

Please tell me it’s not so!!

+ typikal82 on December 21st, 2010 at 1:31 pm said:

Pfft, custom soundtracks. Who needs those when you have rare kick ass remixes from MotorStorm!

Can’t wait to see what’s on there.

+ D-Squad3 on December 21st, 2010 at 1:38 pm said:

OMG that’s freaking awesome!

+ iWarMachine10 on December 21st, 2010 at 1:47 pm said:

WOOWWW F%”#ING insane!!! i was skeptical about this game, but now guys give me a release date and i’m buying it ASAP!

+ theultimatenub on December 21st, 2010 at 1:53 pm said:

this is the most insane racing game ever and i LOVE IT! i am so getting this!!

+ King_KDawgg on December 21st, 2010 at 2:07 pm said:

Pacific Rift is my favorite racing game this gen (maybe ever). My birthday is in April, so hopefully this will come out in time for me to get it as a gift.

I’m assuming 4-player split-screen is back? I played Pacific Rift split-screen a lot.

+ Seiryuki2002 on December 21st, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

Man, I’ve always loved the MotorStorm series. I have MotorStorm: Pacific Rift and I always feel the adrenaline playing that game.

For some reason, I share the same feelings for this series. As kids, we enjoy playing with the physics of objects in the sand and mud. The mess, chaos, damage, crashes and rough and rugged entertainment we had with our toy cars in the mud when we were kids…Evolution Studios have replicated that feeling!

I’ve always wanted the original MotorStorm, but it was depressing having to go through all the loading through menus. I guess I must feel that way after playing PR for so long ^_^.

This game simply out-did PR just from this first dev. diary. Just hurry and release the other diaries.

While you’re doing that, I’ll just go and watch this diary over and over until you release the next one…and…I think I’ll go borrow the original MotorStorm from my friend tomorrow.

Keep up the excellent work Evolution Studios!

Btw, is there a way to share a ‘game concept/idea’ with Sony? I have a dream game in my head for several years now and I think the PS4 may be able to handle the concept. Thanks.

+ TallCrowe on December 21st, 2010 at 2:49 pm said:

Looks great. I will return to Pacific Rift in the meantime to brush up my skills. You brits know what you’re doing.

+ MARfin2 on December 21st, 2010 at 2:52 pm said:

Why is there an airplane still flying in the city? Wan’st the place evacuated? I’m not complaining, crashing planes are always awesome, just wondering why its there.

+ Seiryuki2002 on December 21st, 2010 at 4:02 pm said:

Hey, I remember reading somewhere about the online ability to get experience points not only for racing well but also for damaging opponents. Is that still in?

I’m a good/decent racer, but I’m a lunatic and I think I speak for all lunatics when I say that we will unite to trash every online opponent on the course!!!

So…umm…will you still cater to us and give us experience for being proper MotorStorm opponents?

Cheers! ^_^

+ NotoriousGamer on December 21st, 2010 at 4:34 pm said:

demo soon please. or beta for online for plus members!!

+ BallinOutTheBox on December 21st, 2010 at 4:40 pm said:

Looks awesome, keep up the good work guys! Played the demo for the first game like crazy when I first got my Playstation 3 and I bought and played the 2nd game for a long time after it came out. Really looking forward to Apocalypse. It’s amazing to see the evolution of the series over time. From the middle of the desert to a crumbling urban environment. Interested in the 3rd game and what is next to come.

+ remanutd5 on December 21st, 2010 at 5:03 pm said:

oh and please theres need to be another Motorstorm game for the next PSP ( PSP 2 ) and with it the ability to play with our PSN friends

+ Heiseman on December 21st, 2010 at 6:39 pm said:

Will this game run in full 1080p like I heard in an earlier interview?

Also, any news regarding wheel support, remapping button controls, adjusting steering deadzone and true first person view for bikes and atv’s?

Looking forward to the game.

PAGE 1 2