LittleBigPlanet 3

Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath for PSN: Taking HD Remakes to the Next Level

Stewart Gilray's Avatar + Posted by Stewart Gilray on Dec 22, 2010 // CEO, Just Add Water

Long time no see! Since Gravity Crash Portable was launched we’ve kept our heads down while working on a bunch of stuff. During the summer we started working exclusively on Oddworld projects, and I’m here today to talk about the first title we announced: Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Stranger

You may have heard of this game before – it was originally released in March 2005, but we’re doing an HD remake for PSN. Recently there have been a whole raft of HD remakes coming to the PS3, and to be able to work on this project and take the definition of “HD Remake” to the next level has been a dream come true.

Not only are we revamping various aspects of the game such as texture resolution, user interface and game audio, but we’re also overhauling the character models. You’ll no doubt have seen the visual update we’ve done to the main character, Stranger. We’re updating every character in the game in similar style, and today I’d like to introduce you to a couple more.

First up we have the Clakkerz, the general population from the towns at the start of the game all the way to New Yolk City. The guy pictured above is the Store Keeper, he runs the General Store where you get to buy ammo and upgrades, and is always wise cracking, ahem, with you. A lot of my passion for this game is the story and the script, there is so much humour in there that you can’t help but laugh out loud at times!

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Storekeeper

Next we have the Grubb Natives. These guys are afraid of their own shadows and mistrust anyone, especially a tall Stranger that comes into their settlement, but is there a reason for that? Their story unfolds farther in the game.

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Grubb Male

In Stranger’s Wrath you play a bounty hunter, tracking down various villains and capturing them. To do this, you don’t use a gun but LIVE ammunition. And by “live” we really mean that – your ammo are little critters with special abilities, and at times the damned things even back chat you. So the critters sit on your crossbow and talk to you, then when the time’s right, you press the trigger and send them on their way.

This little guy is my favourite, the Chippunk, cause he’s a wise-cracking chipmunk-like guy!

Oddworld Stranger's Wrath for PS3: Chippunk

Over the coming weeks and months, we will be back to talk to you more about the PS3 version of Stranger’s Wrath, including other updates and additions to the game we are making.

Thanks, and we hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

PAGE 1 2

+ ArcaneAltair on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:06 pm said:

Wow.. that’s alot of attention to detail.

Been looking forward to this since I heard the hint on PSNation a while back.

+ footballrule on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Sounds pretty good!

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

I am completely BLOWN AWAY BY THIS!!! What a week to be a Playstation 3 Owner. I love you folks!

+ Tchanku on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Hurray, Oddworld rules!

+ trapper12 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:08 pm said:

This looks great! Is there a release date decided yet?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:21 pm said:

We have a release window in mind, Late April/Early May 2011

+ Sindred on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:09 pm said:

Played this back on the Xbox. Excellent game, and even now, it still looks great. What you guys are doing to it is amazing!

+ pitythefool852 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:11 pm said:

This is the kind of thing that justifies HD remakes.

Great pictures, guys.

It seems like endless good announcements on the PS3 recently. What’s going on?

+ oFelipeNFo on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:12 pm said:

I want it NOW!!!!

+ Agent_Clutch on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:15 pm said:

Ive been waitin for an ODDworld Ps3 game!!! This should be a PS3 exlcusive dont even bother with the other console. Is this going to be a disc based game or digital download? Either way its bought first day!!

+ JLP_M on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

I like how its going to a more realistic look, I don’t know how to say it ahha.

+ Craazy on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:16 pm said:

This was a pretty fun game that I never finished so it will be cool to play it again in HD

+ varelapaul on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:23 pm said:

are you guys going to add a little bit of a creative spin on it to add more exclusive levels? because that would be going the extra mile

+ BigPoppaPain on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:24 pm said:

3D please oh please. I love this game. Update it into 3D and you will make me a happy soul.

+ cuterena on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Awesome! Now, when you guys get all done, you think you could add Munch’s Odyssey to the mix? That game was amazing as well.

+ daedonas on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:30 pm said:

Steam mentioned a new strangers wrath release this winter, is this psn game the same? or are we being gifted a completely revamped better version?

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:18 pm said:

The PS3 version is a totally revamped version, we are going to town with it :)

+ Lagnewb on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:33 pm said:

Damn that looks awesome. Man, I wish Ubisoft put that much work into the Prince of Persia HD Trilogy, its riddled with bugs and glitches from the previous gen, plus a bunch of new ones. Really makes me sad since the Sands of Time Trilogy were my favourite action games last gen.

+ aranhalucasaf on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:34 pm said:

Hey Sony just to keep in record….i live in MA and i have looking the playstation move controller EVERY WHERE Best Buy, GameStop, Walmart, Sears every store that i know…and i just can not find the Playstation Move Controller.
Every store that i go i can see TONS of Kinect but NONE Playstation Move Controller…i got the PS3 Slim Bundle but i can not have an extra controller for xmass time…every store says that they only will get more controllers after xmass…
Thank you one more time Sony.

+ TheGuardianFID on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:38 pm said:

Stranger looks amazing, awesome work guys, SOLD!!! 8)

+ AddisonW on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Oh god…

Out of all the amazing PS2 era franchises people want HD remasters…the horrible Oddworld games is what we get???

Bring on the good stuff:

Metal Gear
Jak and Daxster
Okami
GTA
The first Devil May Cry
The original Killzone
Megami Tensei – Shin Megami Tensei,Persona,Digital Devil Saga,Devil Summoner
Yakuza 1&2
Dragon Quest VIII

+ Gueeds on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:43 pm said:

Missed this one back in the day. Kudos to the amount of detail and effort put into the conversion. Can’t wait to play it on my PS3.

+ Revolutionary on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:44 pm said:

Good luck with fixing the PC version, GoldenHelmet. ;)

+ xxKinGjxx on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:47 pm said:

the xbox versions of all games are more bright vivid and colorful

when the ps3 versions are dark dull and defined

i prefer bright and vivid , i see this every time when doing my own comparisons and watching others comparisons even yours!

+ mendezgato on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:50 pm said:

Wow this sounds ok but if you include abe’s Odyssey and exodus as a bonus and is a must for me

+ Dragun619 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

I like the amount of effort and detail being put in this HD Remake. I always wanted to play Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath but I never got around picking it up. Good to see it coming back in HD Style. Probably gonna get Day one. Can we get an estimate at what the price tag will be? And will there be new content added to the game, like weapons, etc?

+ Reaper_106 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:51 pm said:

@18 Oddworld games are awesome you anus.

+ MetalGearCrysis on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:52 pm said:

Can’t wait! :)

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:54 pm said:

Hey i don’t have an HD-TV…can someone give me one please?!??!

+ sam_i_jam on December 22nd, 2010 at 12:56 pm said:

@xxkingjxx: Hahahaha. Thank you for livening up my day with your silly comment. As an owner of both the current-gen HD consoles, your generalization is incorrect. Perhaps you have been viewing too many comparison videos on the interwebz. This is all relative most of the time since the visuals you see are based on the user’s brightness/contrast settings on their viewing device. It is often the case when one looks darker or brighter. Other than the occasional shoddy port, what you stated is a non-issue.

+ Redikol on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:07 pm said:

I am extremely excited for this.. thanks, Just Add Water!
Day One Purchase!
It would be awesome, if you also HD Remade Oddworld: Munch’s Oddysee, i really enjoyed what little i played of that at my nephews years ago.

+ Carl-G on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:11 pm said:

Didn’t someone who used to make(or they still do)the ‘Oddworld’ games once say the PS2 was going to fail once? LoL how wrong they was.

+ poodude on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:22 pm said:

“During the summer we started working exclusively on Oddworld projects, and I’m here today to talk about the first title we announced: Oddworld Stranger’s Wrath.”

So I take it you’ll be working on more Oddworld games after this then ;).

P.S. I loved Gravity Crash and will be sure to pick this up too :).

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:42 pm said:

I couldn’t possibly comment on future Oddworld projects :)

+ freddyrivas on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:45 pm said:

they made everyone look scary especially that squirl thing never played this but love abes oddysee and exoddus on ps1 is this even anything like it?

+ NintendoTim on December 22nd, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

So. Can you guys get Ubisoft on the phone and tell them this is how the Prince of Persia HD remakes should have been done, and how the Splinter Cell Trilogy needs to be done? I will be forever grateful.

+ musicismyradar on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:01 pm said:

Wow, and I thought the other HD remakes were impressive…this blows them out of the water!

+ SoulDrifter1 on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:04 pm said:

I really cannot wait for this one. I owned it on X&@*, but never got a chance to finish due to the system dying on me.

+ musicismyradar on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:09 pm said:

@SoulDrifter1 you don’t have to censor the word “xbox”, you know…Every one of us are fully aware that the xbox360 and Wii are in competition with the PS3.

+ DoucheVader on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:13 pm said:

Why didn’t Kratos get this treatment? :P

+ rbanke on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:21 pm said:

The HD remakes are awesome but I fear that since they are becoming popular the inevitable onslaught of companies trying to cash in with crappy upscaled remakes will kill this trend. Sony should set some standards with the HD remakes as far as minimum requirements to be considered.

+ rbanke on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:22 pm said:

forgot to add, this remake looks exciting ;)

+ Dardantuan on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:27 pm said:

Looks amazing, I can’t wait to play this! I played it when it originally came out on the Xbox and loved it. Hopefully with all the fiddling you are doing on the game, you get around to updating the particle/environmental damage physics. I remember the only complaint I really had with the old version was how dumb the debris looked when you smashed a crate or whatever.

+ BlooodyCow on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:35 pm said:

Glad to see you guys doing this HD remake the right way until Ubisoft and other 3rd party developers.

Is there any chance that this game will be release on blu-ray? I still have my original copy of this game :)

+ PagenZero on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:39 pm said:

If I remember correctly, this game wont be coming out on the 360 as with most HD Remakes wont, citing sources would be Prince of Persia as one.

+ ModernYorkster on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:50 pm said:

Will their be a demo of this game when its released? If not please plan one!

Stewart Gilray's Avatar

+ Stewart Gilray on December 23rd, 2010 at 2:23 am said:

We are looking at doing a timed trial.

+ osricenpatt on December 22nd, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

Sorry that I’m so annoying but it would be great: Devil May Cry HD Trilogy, Silent Hill Classic Collection (1, 2, 3, 4), Fatal Frame Trilogy (move!), Resident Evil 4 and Chronicles Collection (move!), Metal Gear Solid HD Essentials and… Well, that’s it. Me and 3.000.000 other people would be happy to buy that!

+ shazbot-finubus on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:05 pm said:

I had exactly two games for the original X-Box, Pychonauts and Oddworld: Strangers Wrath. Seeing the love and attention that this game is receiving for the new HD version brings up a lot of great memories. I think I’ll get this when it comes out.

+ ZAANOS on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

I never got a chance to play Stranger’s Wrath on Xbox because I never owned one, though I was a fan of the series from playing the games on PS One, this was the one game I wanted to play more than any other on Xbox, I loved how the Stranger ran around like an animal and fired “alive” ammo. I’m thrilled that it’s being remade in HD for PS3. I hope we get to see more of the Oddworld series and hope SCE takes more risks in funding original games like these for their exclusive line up.

+ Budds_o_Tokin on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:13 pm said:

(Starts dancing)

+ DeadCell34 on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:42 pm said:

Can’t wait to play this again. I still have my copy for the Xbox.

Me, my bro, and friends used to sit there for hours scaring the clakkerz into their homes, placing tons of fuzzles around the doors, and dying laughing as they came out and the fuzzles ate them alive.

+ Enigma777 on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:53 pm said:

So awesome. I always hated missing out on the original game, so this is like a dream come true!

+ hesido on December 22nd, 2010 at 3:57 pm said:

I hope you make it 60fps.

PAGE 1 2