Bloodborne

Christmas in Amsterdam

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar + Posted by Aryeh Loeb on Dec 23, 2010 // Producer, Guerrilla Games

Without a doubt, one of the biggest perks of working at Guerrilla is the fact that it’s located in Amsterdam. Unlike the Helghast, the people here are very welcoming to newcomers; “Amsterdammers” are world-famous for their open-mindedness and acceptance of different cultures and lifestyles. Most of them are fluent in English, and they relish any opportunity to speak it.

amsterdam01

At the same time, Amsterdammers place a lot of value on traditions. They have their own version of Santa Claus called “Sinterklaas,” whose holiday in early December rivals Christmas in terms of importance. And they insist on using bicycles as their primary form of transportation, regardless of temperature or precipitation. At this time of year, it’s not uncommon to see someone chugging through 2 inches of snow on a bike, with one hand on the handlebars and the other clutching a bag Christmas shopping.

amsterdam02

Above all else, the people of Amsterdam appreciate atmosphere – or, as they call it, “gezelligheid” – and nothing brings this out more than the holiday season. When the days grow short and the weather grows cold, the city takes on the nostalgic charms of a Dickens-inspired Christmas village display. The sight of so many cozily lit canal houses and decorated high streets is enough to warm the heart of even the coldest Helghast polar trooper.

If you’d like to experience Christmas in Amsterdam someday, you may be in luck – Guerrilla is hiring! Check out our website at http://www.guerrilla-games.com/jobs for the full list of job vacancies. Who knows, by this time next year you could be walking – or, if you’re brave enough, biking – around Amsterdam yourself.

Merry Christmas everyone!

33 Comments

+ Butters360 on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

Looks so peaceful over there. You weren’t kidding about a Dicken’s inspired atmosphere. The last picture looks almost like a scene from Great Expectations.

+ spunnups on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:08 am said:

Merry Christmas to some of the best game developers on Earth. You guys bring a brand of polish and atmosphere unseen by anyone in this business before. What’s great is, in a few short weeks, we get to experience the final product. Finally, a quality FPS I can be proud to play on a daily basis.

+ DTS_MAN on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:09 am said:

Merry Christmas to you all, and a happy new year.

+ Weshzu on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:15 am said:

Merry Christmas! who knows maybe i’ll edn up working for guerrillas i’m currently in studying animation could be the next step for game character creation. Is there Co-op i could take :D

+ TallCrowe on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:22 am said:

Looks great and tolerant. I love how Sony has a stable of developers from all over the world. Happy Holidays.

+ MohammedMK on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:30 am said:

Cool stuff

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

Glædelig jul

+ Ratchet426 on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:32 am said:

Hey man, I watched “Hostel”! You Amsterdammers don’t fool me!! :-) :-)

I kid, I kid.

Happy Holidays to all. Looking forward to KZ3 in the new year!!

+ Elvick_ on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:37 am said:

Happy Holidays, Guerrilla Games!

+ Link01 on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

I would apply for a job if I lived there. Unfortunately, the only game developers located in Florida consist of EA…… >.<. Let me know if anyone in Florida needs a C++, C, Java, or Network programmer…

+ ixnine on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:42 am said:

I really do need/want a job.

+ PuppetShoJustice on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:49 am said:

This isn’t at all what I come to this blog for but I must say you guys painted a really nice mental image of your city and I enjoyed reading it.

+ freddyrivas on December 23rd, 2010 at 8:50 am said:

cool i didnt know that no wonder your games are so much fun and cool yall be getting high. lol happy holidays GG and festivus for the rest of us

+ mcbuttz78 on December 23rd, 2010 at 9:01 am said:

id love to work for you guys what skillz do i need. Im not good at the programmimng// Im more of a creative type of guy?

+ zombie9 on December 23rd, 2010 at 9:14 am said:

Happy Holiday all!

+ X-FLIP-X on December 23rd, 2010 at 9:15 am said:

Happy Holidays to you Aryeh and the rest of the crew at Guerrilla Games! I hope to visit Amsterdam sometime!

I was wondering if Guerrilla is looking for interns at the moment or in the near future? I am a sophomore college student who is studying Business Communications with a focus in Public Relations and I hope to intern for a successful company such as Guerrilla Games.

My dream job is to actually work for a video game company and be part of the Public Relations and/or Advertising department of the company. Interning for Guerrilla would be great for me as not only do I enjoy traveling but I also believe that interning for Guerrilla would help me become more aware of the skills and techniques needed to successfully become a Public Relation or Advertising specialist.

Thank you in advance and once again happy holidays!

+ jurrew27 on December 23rd, 2010 at 9:25 am said:

Het is altijd prachtig om in deze tijd van het jaar door Amsterdam te lopen (of fietsen :P)
Fijn kerstfeest aan de beste developers voor de playstation!

+ ADPNIGHTMARE on December 23rd, 2010 at 10:32 am said:

Man I miss Leiden, Den Haag, and Amsterdam, but Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to you all! I look forward to Killzone 3 and hopefully Queen’s day next year. Keep up the good work!

+ BEASTXJASON on December 23rd, 2010 at 11:00 am said:

@mcbuttz78 Your post made me smile

+ NeedleLies on December 23rd, 2010 at 11:01 am said:

great post, visited Amsterdam a few years ago in the fall and loved it… I would move there in an instant!

+ King_KDawgg on December 23rd, 2010 at 11:35 am said:

I was in Amsterdam for a few days when I went to Europe last summer. Great city with really nice people.
I was surprised when every single person I met in the Netherlands and Germany spoke English.

+ Airwalkinman17 on December 23rd, 2010 at 12:07 pm said:

Merry Christmas!

+ perrandy on December 23rd, 2010 at 12:17 pm said:

merry christmas! nice pictures of ole amsterdam

+ sfgdfds on December 23rd, 2010 at 12:27 pm said:

Fijne kerstdagen en een super nieuwjaar!!

pre-ordered KZ3 as a Christmas gift to myself :)

+ KidCommando on December 23rd, 2010 at 12:49 pm said:

I spent New Years in Amsterdam 5 years ago. It was crazy!! Mass mobs of people lighting fireworks and road flares all over the place in that center square. It was pandamonium, but in a good way. When Dr. Dre come on the speakers, the place went absolutely NUTS!

We couldn’t find a room or hostel anywhere and we ended up sleeping on the floor in the train station along with about 100 others. Good times!

+ theultimatenub on December 23rd, 2010 at 1:50 pm said:

Merry Christmas!

+ Stinkinmushroom on December 23rd, 2010 at 2:10 pm said:

sinterklaas heeft toch niks te maken met de kerstman?

+ jurrew27 on December 23rd, 2010 at 2:51 pm said:

@ Stinkinmushroom
Aryeh bedoelt dat het hier even groot wordt gevierd zeg maar

+ Blkant on December 23rd, 2010 at 3:40 pm said:

What an amazing place to work at… It would absolutely be a dream come true, but I’m still stuck working on my BS in CS… :(

+ kNoWlEdGe22 on December 23rd, 2010 at 4:43 pm said:

Merry Christmas… Amsterdam is indeed a great city and it looks fantastic under the snow. Looking forward to KZ3 in the new year!

+ Street_Killaz on December 24th, 2010 at 12:53 pm said:

Merry Xmas to Amsterdam!! Gotta love the snow hey!!

+ JTTWIGG on December 24th, 2010 at 8:26 pm said:

I celebrated New Years in Amsterdam two years ago. They said it was the coldest winter they have had in 30 years at the time but it was so worth it. I had an amazing time and I recommend everyone to visit at least once. I love Amsterdam!

+ k1llabeastie on January 1st, 2011 at 1:29 pm said:

Kerst is afgeleid van sinterklaas, niet voor niets ‘santa claus’.

@13: not everyone in holland smokes lol.