PS4 - Destiny

The Drop: Week of Jan 3rd 2011 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Jan 02, 2011 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Greetings from the future! Welcome back PlayStation fans, I hope you’re sporting your aluminum foil hats and gloves as you brace yourself for what is going to be a spectacular year in PlayStation gaming history. I kid you not, I’ve traveled into the future and have witnessed a world where PlayStation Move light posts tower over PS3 paved streets and walkways. People commute in DualShock shaped cars and Kratos has become a popular name among new born babies.

The-Drop-Main-Header

But before we all welcome our new found PlayStation overlords, let’s rewind to the present day and check out this year’s very first “The Drop” for 2011. Make it quick though, I need to replace the left trigger, right analog stick and get a quick oil change on the old girl.

PSN: Tetris

PlayStation Network

Tetris — Millions of players worldwide on Sony PlayStation 3 systems will now have the opportunity to download and play the game with crisp 1080p high-definition (HD) graphics, high-quality 5.1 surround sound audio, and all-new ways to play including online against other Tetris players from around the globe. The Tetris game is one of the best-selling games of all time, with more than 100 million paid mobile downloads.

(PS Blog Coverage: Tetris for PSN in 1080p and 5.1, Gets PS3-Exclusive Multiplayer)

Microbot — MicroHexon Research has invented a transformative medical technology: autonomous nanotech machines that are no larger than a blood cell. When injected into the body they target and eliminate diseases at the cellular level. However, something has gone dangerously awry. The nanomachines have bonded to the diseased cells and are now multiplying inside the body at an exponential rate. Piloting a new prototype MicroBot, players must seek and destroy the infection before it consumes the human host from the inside.

Richochet — Ricochet is a “Ball-and-paddle” game in the longstanding tradition of Breakout or, for a more accurate comparison, Arkanoid. You’re a participant in the intergalactic Ricochet Championship. You must bust through 40 different arrangements of bricks in four different arenas, builiding up the highest score to obtain the coveted Master of the Universe award.

PlayStation Network Demos

• Microbot
  • Top Gun
  • Alien Breed 2: Assault
  • Ricochet
  • Kung-Fu Live
  • Hustle Kings

PSone Classic: Re-Loaded

PSone Classics

Re-Loaded — It begins on a prison planet where the most sadistic, maniacal killers of all types are being held. Of course, they don’t plan to stay for long, and your role is to execute their escape from the bizarre confines. Choose from six lunatics as you attempt to blast, slash, and bite your way to sweet freedom. Characters range from armed robots to bloodthirsty cannibal girls, and each is vicious enough to destroy anything in its path.

Arc the Lad III — The tactical RPG Arc the Lad III is the third and final leg for the Arc series. The game lets you take on quests from guilds for the game to move on. As the story develops, the characters Alec and Lutz meet new company to face a corrupted organization called the Academy.

PSP: Legends of War: Patton's Campaign

PlayStation Portable (PSN)

Legends of War: Patton’s Campaign — A strategy game where the Campaign mode combines 2 different game modes: a high-level strategic management part, to set up your army with the units of your choice which can be evolved to acquire new features and skills; and a tactical and turn-based part, where you will fight across different battlefields seeking the defeat of Nazi army with the least casualties and number of turns possible.

Auditorium — Challenge yourself to transform light into sound while surrounded by stunning visual effects and supreme symphonies. Find yourself manipulating a constant stream of moving particles of light and sound into audio containers — as you fill the containers, light transforms into sound. Given enough light, the containers will begin to sing together in a symphony — not enough light, and you’ll find yourself battling to conquer each puzzle.

Minis: Angry Birds

PlayStation minis
Angry Birds — The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake. Dish out revenge on the green pigs who stole the Birds’ eggs. Use the unique destructive powers of the Angry Birds to lay waste to the pigs’ fortified castles. Angry Birds features hours of gameplay, challenging physics-based castle demolition, and lots of replay value. Each of the 63 levels requires logic, skill, and brute force to crush the enemy.

M.O.Z.O.X Space Salvager — M.O.Z.O.X. is a shoot’em up with a more ‘Classic’ flat and horizontal camera, and another camera orientation we call ‘Action’. The ‘Action’ camera gives a 3/4 view and rotates the camera like a vertical shooter but presents the player with depth. In our focus-testing we found this mode, while more challenging, was much more exciting to our testers.

Family Games: Pen & Paper Edition — In Family Games: Pen & Paper Edition, families can enjoy games like Squares (Dots), Nine Men’s Morris (Mill), Safe Cracker, Matchsticks and more.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

PAGE 1 2 3

+ TallCrowe on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

Angry birds? I thought that was coming to the big kid consoles?

+ J-0_K_3-R_______ on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

TETRIS! screw blackops and all the other stuff.. this is where its at.

+ gerneric123 on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:21 pm said:

Hey Rey, any word on Pac-Man CE for PSP Minis?

+ Ouren on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:27 pm said:

Angry Birds;
Awesome.

I was really hoping for Under Siege this week though.

+ rhcooper on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

I never played LOADED or RE-LOADED when it came out but I fondly remember the mini comic produced by DC with the Simon “The Biz” Bisley cover. I know I have it here somewhere amongst all my stuff.

They should find a way to get that reproduced in some format (remastered from the original art would be ideal). Especially with DC and Sony still having such a close connection… asking Interplay for the rights can’t be that hard.

+ EHryan on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Arc lll ! does this mean Xenogears / Vagrant Story is coming in the next few weeks?

+ proskatercam on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Any word on the release for the Rayman episodes?

+ AmethystVenom on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:30 pm said:

Tetris FTW!

+ IDOLO1013 on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

Hello Rey & hope you had a great holiday :) (Now back to work). I’ll definitely be picking up Tetris this Tuesday.

I have one question?
Do you know when will Hyperballoid HD DLC (New Map level) will come out? The reason I ask is that europe receive the DLC on December 10, 2009 & here in the US, nothing. Not even any info on there site. Thanks in advance.

+ Rustbucket80 on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:46 pm said:

If Tetris is more than 5 dollars, I’m gonna scream… I’ll bet my kidney’s on a 10 dollar price tag. Based on developer comments from the Tetris post, I wouldn’t be surprised if they tried to justify 15 dollars. *Sigh*. Guess I’ll just keep playing Tetris on my mobile ;(

+ JLP_M on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:53 pm said:

oooo. nice angry birds and a demo for kung fu live!

+ Kirkpad on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

Oh man, I hope I have enough to get Angry Birds. I hope it’s like 1.99 or 2.99.

+ Kirkpad on January 2nd, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

Ugh I just realized I’m going to be traveling that day so I wont be able to try out that Kung Fu Live Demo.

+ SPOOKULA209 on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

looks good for this week

+ Nick36542 on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

Wow, this week’s update is gonna be awesome! Will Tetris have trophies?

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

Yep. Trophy support ftw.

+ DZORMAGEN on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:03 pm said:

Hell yeah Angry Birds PSP!! Any word on Pac Man on PSP?

+ X-FLIP-X on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:22 pm said:

I will probably get the new Tetris, and download the demos for Hustle Kings and Kung Fu Live.

However, will the Hustle Kings demo have Move support? I heard some good things about the game being played with the Move.

+ TechTrekker on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:23 pm said:

Nice to see Angry Birds being ported to the PS3/PSP. However, that game is considered redundant to me. I already downloaded that game on my Android device.

+ wooster6 on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

I wish lbp2 would come out now….

+ poodude on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:41 pm said:

And so it begins, the eventual bankrupting of every PS3 owner :|. I don’t know how to feel :P.

+ Mattsta001 on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:42 pm said:

Good to see some demos for games. One of the big complaints about PSN and why it is inferior to the competition (besides no cross game chat) is that many games do not have demos. Very disappointed there are no demos for Dead Nation and Eat Them, two Sony supported games, and the reason why I haven’t bought them yet.

+ Lugoves on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

I like angry birds, but if it doesn’t have trophy support , I’ll have to pass. Where’s Flight Control for N.A.?

+ Phoenix8387 on January 2nd, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

I would get Angry Birds, except… I just don’t see how it’s going to be nearly as much fun on anything but a touchscreen. Move support might have made it… bearable.

Not to mention, only 63 levels? I have an android phone and between the two versions there’s a good 150+ levels easily.

+ Sir_Vague on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:08 pm said:

No Under Siege or Dungeon Defender yet?

+ fuzzyclutter on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:10 pm said:

Auditorium ….. WOW … sounds like something i might have already played after letting the suger cube melt in my mouth . :)

+ Edwerd on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:11 pm said:

im sure angry birds will be 5+ dollars while its free99 on my android

+ IPumpMyGun on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

Rey Gutierrez: Can you give me an answer to why all the content was moved back like two months from December, 30th and December, 31st to March 31st for content that is absolutely garbage for the next PSN Store update?

One specific game is Bonk for PSN. That game was scheduled for early summer release. Then it was bumped too December for the exact same reason All the content was pushed too March and Bonk is pushed back yet again too March. What’s going on with this nonsense!?!

+ saionji1229 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

But before we all welcome our new found PlayStation overloads Rey? ;)

+ KiraTheFreedom on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:17 pm said:

-_– for the first drop this is weak…

+ DJKim0701 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:18 pm said:

how much with Tetris??

+ Chessy_08 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:20 pm said:

Angry Birds FTW hopefully its priced well seeing how android version is free…..
Like the new layout

+ unstablefears on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

Any news on Under Siege?

+ IceReign on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

Angry Birds!! Wow I did not see that coming. I wonder how it plays on PS3.

+ digitalman123 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:23 pm said:

Angry Birds FTW man. It rocks on the iPad. Wish it could have move support.
I’m back Rey! Feels good to be home. Happy New Year by the way.
What are you looking forward to this year guys? This isn’t just for Rey, it’s for anyone commenting here. I’m looking forward to LittleBigPlanet 2, Uncharted 3, and Infamous 2 the most. Lots more I’m excited for though…

+ NEJI64 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:25 pm said:

Its been two and half years now since Trophies was added to PS3 games, and ever since then every PS3 and PSN game since then had them. I still find it confusing that people still ask will a up coming game have Trophies.

Happy New Year to the PlayStation Universe..

+ Zeer0id on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:31 pm said:

Will the Angry Birds mini be playable on PS3? I really hope so.

+ UNL34SH1N_H3LL on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

Kung Fu Live FTW! Thanks for the demo! I’m so buying that game, amazing amount of releases, great work!

+ Wolf26pack on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:40 pm said:

Hey Rey,

I hope that in 2011 we can get some good games on the PSN. Here are the things I am looking forward too & hoping will eventually be released on the PSN sometime this year

Arcade Classics (ala X-Men Arcade)
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles from Konami
The Simpsons Arcade Game from Konami

Shoot both give me such feelings of Nostalgia just typing them out, let Konami know we on the PSN would also like to play these games.

PS1 Classics
The Original Twisted Metal (unless Sony & David Jaffe are planning to release it on the new PS3 release of Twisted Metal as a Bonus ;-)

PSN Sales
Castle Crashers 50% off at $7.49
Scott Pilgrim vs. the World 50% off at $4.99

Both of these have seen these prices on the 360 so I hope that these sales will also be coming to the PSN so I can purchase them on my console of choice ;-).

I hope you can convince the higher up’s to bring these games & sales out in 2011

Have a Happy New Year
Wolf26pack

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:55 pm said:

Thanks for this! We always like to hear your feedback. Hit up the PlayStation.Blog Share area, we use it as one of our main pool of ideas for blog features and upcoming titles. =)

+ Ace2540 on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:49 pm said:

Wait didn’t they say Angry Birds would be on PS3? I know you can play minis on PS3, but minis are for PSP GO technically, it better be only $3 then, and how much will Tetris be? $10? $15 sounds a little to much for Tetris… and finally, is this coming to PS Store tomorrow(Jan. 3), or Tuesday?

+ gakNyambung on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:52 pm said:

Hi, on last update I want to buy:
Football Manager Handheld 2010 – Sale (PSP) (now $15.99, original price
$39.99)

Why can’t I find it in the PSN Store ????
I’ve checked through my PSP and throught Media Go, but still cannot find it ?!?!?

How can it be a sale if even the item is not there.
A fake sale ???? I don’t think Sony will go down that low.

I’m really confused right now, cause the sale is supposed to be until 4th of January.

The last release info is here: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010/12/21/playstation-store-update-170

+ Daniel_Gonzz on January 2nd, 2011 at 6:56 pm said:

Any idea when Hard Corps:Uprising and Xenogears/Legend of Mana/Threads of Fate/Vagrant Story are coming out?

+ gerneric123 on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:01 pm said:

Will Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker ever return to the PSN?

+ Vagnar on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:10 pm said:

Sorry for not reading through all the posts, but I thought I’d ask. Have you guys ever considered adding noteworthy DLC to this post? Not necessarily all DLC, but larger add-ons like… recent personal example, “Pigsy’s Perfect 10″ for Enslaved. Anything really worth noting I guess.

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:58 pm said:

Some specific DLC packages will warrant an individual post. The Drop mainly focuses on new digital and BluRay titles/demos. We have our official PSN store post weekly which highlights every single piece of content going live on the store (including DLC).

+ Tomm4118 on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:24 pm said:

It’s only a cupple of weeks before the final launch of LittleBigPlanet 2. But I’m TIRED of WAITING! We all want to know:

WHEN CAN WE EXPECT TO SEE THE NEW KEVIN BUTLER LBP2 EPIC COMERCIAL??

+ GraveyardGhost66 on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

Did you see cross game chat in the future?

+ marlyt on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:32 pm said:

For anyone who hasn’t bought it Kung Fu Live is an awesome game. I was very skeptical but I was wrong. Just be sure to have a very well lit room if playing after dark which seems to be all the time lately. Daylight savings FTW!

+ KongWen on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:37 pm said:

Geez, who asks whether Tetris will have trophies? It’s a PSN game being released in 2011. It’s not a mini (we already have a mini Tetris that false-advertisedly doesn’t work on PS3). Of course it has trophies. I just wonder if it’ll launch at the now-usual ridiculous price of $14.99.

Glad to see Arc the Lad III coming, and finally getting the McCartney tracks in the Rock Band store.

+ Chuckbait on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:37 pm said:

Is there a New Years Sale?

PAGE 1 2 3