PS4 - Batman Arkham Knight

The Drop: Week of Jan 3rd 2011 New Releases

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar + Posted by Rey Gutierrez on Jan 02, 2011 // Senior Social Media Specialist

Greetings from the future! Welcome back PlayStation fans, I hope you’re sporting your aluminum foil hats and gloves as you brace yourself for what is going to be a spectacular year in PlayStation gaming history. I kid you not, I’ve traveled into the future and have witnessed a world where PlayStation Move light posts tower over PS3 paved streets and walkways. People commute in DualShock shaped cars and Kratos has become a popular name among new born babies.

The-Drop-Main-Header

But before we all welcome our new found PlayStation overlords, let’s rewind to the present day and check out this year’s very first “The Drop” for 2011. Make it quick though, I need to replace the left trigger, right analog stick and get a quick oil change on the old girl.

PSN: Tetris

PlayStation Network

Tetris — Millions of players worldwide on Sony PlayStation 3 systems will now have the opportunity to download and play the game with crisp 1080p high-definition (HD) graphics, high-quality 5.1 surround sound audio, and all-new ways to play including online against other Tetris players from around the globe. The Tetris game is one of the best-selling games of all time, with more than 100 million paid mobile downloads.

(PS Blog Coverage: Tetris for PSN in 1080p and 5.1, Gets PS3-Exclusive Multiplayer)

Microbot — MicroHexon Research has invented a transformative medical technology: autonomous nanotech machines that are no larger than a blood cell. When injected into the body they target and eliminate diseases at the cellular level. However, something has gone dangerously awry. The nanomachines have bonded to the diseased cells and are now multiplying inside the body at an exponential rate. Piloting a new prototype MicroBot, players must seek and destroy the infection before it consumes the human host from the inside.

Richochet — Ricochet is a “Ball-and-paddle” game in the longstanding tradition of Breakout or, for a more accurate comparison, Arkanoid. You’re a participant in the intergalactic Ricochet Championship. You must bust through 40 different arrangements of bricks in four different arenas, builiding up the highest score to obtain the coveted Master of the Universe award.

PlayStation Network Demos

• Microbot
  • Top Gun
  • Alien Breed 2: Assault
  • Ricochet
  • Kung-Fu Live
  • Hustle Kings

PSone Classic: Re-Loaded

PSone Classics

Re-Loaded — It begins on a prison planet where the most sadistic, maniacal killers of all types are being held. Of course, they don’t plan to stay for long, and your role is to execute their escape from the bizarre confines. Choose from six lunatics as you attempt to blast, slash, and bite your way to sweet freedom. Characters range from armed robots to bloodthirsty cannibal girls, and each is vicious enough to destroy anything in its path.

Arc the Lad III — The tactical RPG Arc the Lad III is the third and final leg for the Arc series. The game lets you take on quests from guilds for the game to move on. As the story develops, the characters Alec and Lutz meet new company to face a corrupted organization called the Academy.

PSP: Legends of War: Patton's Campaign

PlayStation Portable (PSN)

Legends of War: Patton’s Campaign — A strategy game where the Campaign mode combines 2 different game modes: a high-level strategic management part, to set up your army with the units of your choice which can be evolved to acquire new features and skills; and a tactical and turn-based part, where you will fight across different battlefields seeking the defeat of Nazi army with the least casualties and number of turns possible.

Auditorium — Challenge yourself to transform light into sound while surrounded by stunning visual effects and supreme symphonies. Find yourself manipulating a constant stream of moving particles of light and sound into audio containers — as you fill the containers, light transforms into sound. Given enough light, the containers will begin to sing together in a symphony — not enough light, and you’ll find yourself battling to conquer each puzzle.

Minis: Angry Birds

PlayStation minis
Angry Birds — The survival of the Angry Birds is at stake. Dish out revenge on the green pigs who stole the Birds’ eggs. Use the unique destructive powers of the Angry Birds to lay waste to the pigs’ fortified castles. Angry Birds features hours of gameplay, challenging physics-based castle demolition, and lots of replay value. Each of the 63 levels requires logic, skill, and brute force to crush the enemy.

M.O.Z.O.X Space Salvager — M.O.Z.O.X. is a shoot’em up with a more ‘Classic’ flat and horizontal camera, and another camera orientation we call ‘Action’. The ‘Action’ camera gives a 3/4 view and rotates the camera like a vertical shooter but presents the player with depth. In our focus-testing we found this mode, while more challenging, was much more exciting to our testers.

Family Games: Pen & Paper Edition — In Family Games: Pen & Paper Edition, families can enjoy games like Squares (Dots), Nine Men’s Morris (Mill), Safe Cracker, Matchsticks and more.

[Editor’s Note: The following dates are subject to change. Game details are gathered from Press Releases from their individual publishers and/or ESRB rating descriptions.]

+ BLipp17 on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:51 pm said:

you should have opened with “Welcome to the world of tomorrow!” in a very dramatic way.

+ remanutd5 on January 2nd, 2011 at 7:54 pm said:

Did you see a PSP 2 with a RIGHT analog stick and full psn functionality in that future?

+ Transient on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:06 pm said:

Wow, Angry Birds will be my first Mini! :)

Any word on Qore? Can we expect that this week?

+ iTofuMan on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:11 pm said:

Nothing for psp? This doesnt look to good! to start the first 2011 update with no psp just proves you guys dont care about it.

+ kcarl2879 on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

Hi, i dont think you’ll read this
but what the heck right

i was wonrdering if there’ll be a release of legend of dragoon as a ps one classic.
Id hate it as a remake as well as many others.

I jut saw that japan put it on there ps store. Please im begging you coul u pleease put it up, Its the game tht got me hooked on Rpg’s. Me and many others want this up on here. Im beggig along woth many others

+ SpitFireAce on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:40 pm said:

When is that PSN only FPS coming out ModernCombat:Domination?

+ D1crzydzzy on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

angry birds mini, yes!

And tetris what a way to start 2011

+ TotallyOriginal on January 2nd, 2011 at 8:57 pm said:

will ps2 games come to the PSN store this year?

+ musashi13 on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

while were at it how about making the future perfect/ no more x-box first release packs!

+ retro25 on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

Angry Birds is coming to PSP? huh!!! Nothing here for me yet.

+ G-Force08 on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:06 pm said:

Dangit! More stuff I want D;

And I said to myself, “No more spending money on games until Little Big Planet 2 comes out!”

That’s going to cost me $80+! Now look what you have done, gone and made me go back on my promise to myself! Seriously guys! You should hire me so I can keep up this habit! =p

No, but seriously, I want a job with you <.<

+ Edd on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:08 pm said:

how much is tetris going to be?

+ guitarded77 on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:14 pm said:

How much is Tetris gonna be?

+ Link01 on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:20 pm said:

I’d still like word on Pixel Junk shooter’s 2 release date :D…. that and the next firmware update. It’s been waaaaaay too long since you guys added any firmware features that everyone could use. * I’m un including 3D updates *.

+ Elvick_ on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:29 pm said:

Any news on Pix’N Love Rush coming to PS Minis? Or is that canceled? I’d love to play it using traditional controls instead of using touch controls.

+ DangerDanceBoy on January 2nd, 2011 at 9:34 pm said:

I hate to be that fellow, but ‘Heroes of Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes’ was supposed to drop a few months ago. Is there any word on the status of the release date? I was particularly looking forward to the game and just realized today that it hasn’t come out yet.

+ jacob-813 on January 2nd, 2011 at 10:18 pm said:

@musashi13
After 2012 is over. I was wondering that too.

+ Dr_CheriPopper on January 2nd, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

Can we get more PSP Games added to the Store and Permanent Price Drops/Sales? Geesh, Tekken 6 PSP is still $40 on PSN? Retail sells UMD of it for $10-20! You’ll make more PROFIT from lowering your high prices/original retail prices since more people will be compelled to purchase them. Also, I hope we get a sale on Tetris PSP Mini since the release of Tetris on PS3.

+ Warped on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:05 pm said:

Angry birds with trophy support will be awesome!

+ Hiroshima711 on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

WHAT!!!! Angry Birds a PSN Mini release?!?! Why couldn’t it have been a full PSN release! Was looking forward to unlocking some trophies for that game Y_Y

+ Gaucho21 on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:18 pm said:

Re-loaded is an awful game. Why would they rerelease it?

+ shv187 on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:23 pm said:

one thing i wanna know is why did psn skid the last tuesday update???? it wouldve been a beast of an update if yeall did it YYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

+ cortiz2092000 on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:24 pm said:

sony why dont u release a psp game

+ purplestream on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:25 pm said:

Thank you so much! ANGRY BIRDS FTW! a must buy!

+ Ruisu-Tsrugi on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:25 pm said:

Any chance of seeing release dates of the Squaresoft/Enix PS Classics?

+ Sinistar83 on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:27 pm said:

How come thetes no way to log on the mobile sure to leave comments?

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

Good question. I’ll make sure to bring this up on our next Blog redesign meeting.

+ RyuuNoSekai on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:39 pm said:

any idea what the price is for auditorium PSP and Tetris?

+ vL_xAlien on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:55 pm said:

i like eggs

Rey Gutierrez's Avatar

+ Rey Gutierrez on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

I like turtles.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 2nd, 2011 at 11:56 pm said:

Looking forward to Tetris and a couple demos. Thanks, Sony!

+ MajinGouken on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

Is There Any Possibility Of You Guys Adding Dragonball Z: Legends? I Have Been Wanting To Play That Game Since I Was Little. Oh And Also Megaman 8.

+ mc4martyc on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

Hi CAn anyone tell me if Angry Birds will be available in the UK?

+ Psychoticcherry on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

I’ll gladly pay $15 bucks for Tetris in 1080p, developers deserve the money. My only question is will it have support for playing my music in game or will it just be the game sound.

+ mc4martyc on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

never mind just found the answer myself lol 5th jan :D

+ REMIX_26 on January 3rd, 2011 at 12:56 am said:

angry birds nice but… no trophies, no thanks

+ donnydj76 on January 3rd, 2011 at 1:11 am said:

Question about Auditorium PSP-What is the difference between Auditorium that is coming out for PSP vs Auditorium that is already available to play on the PS3?

+ SephTiger on January 3rd, 2011 at 1:48 am said:

When are we going to see the releases of Legend of Mana, Vagrant Story, Xenogears, and Threads of Fate on PSN? They were announced for a U.S. release, but no date yet…

+ Axecution on January 3rd, 2011 at 3:09 am said:

listing PS3 demos on The Drop now? :D Sweet!

+ DeathbyStereo197 on January 3rd, 2011 at 3:54 am said:

OH MY GOD Angry Birds on my PS3, Thats a must buy! I play it on my Galaxy S all the time, I cant imagine seeing it in my whole 50 inch hd splendor! Although Tetris I could seriously do without, and the other games, well I always try out the demos but I dont know how cool the other stuff will be. The only other thing I really wanna know is how much stuff is going to come this week for playstation plus, and how worth it it is for my 60 bucks a year that I pay!

+ phantom2k88 on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:00 am said:

Is this all you have to offer.you people might enjoy these things,but sony don’t u think you should cut straight to the chase and start working on the top voted ideas on blog.share.

+ Carl-G on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:16 am said:

Tetris is excellent :P [i got it off the Europe PSN last week]

One thing tho ‘WHY OH WHY’ do games have to have ‘Copy protected’ saves for! :-/ Yes ‘Tetris’ has it. That is one of the most annoying things some game makers do this gen[+last gen to] IT SHOULD BE BANNED! ! ! :D

+ perrandy on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:29 am said:

yay for tetris because yesterday i bought a psn card just for it.btw,rey do you know if the game supports custom soundtracks?

+ moriarty1975 on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:33 am said:

@88

It does.

+ abd4abd on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:45 am said:

plz , we want Malicious on us store …

+ perrandy on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:48 am said:

@89 thanks for the reply. i’m very happy about the game supporting it.tuesday cant come soon enough :)

+ crim001 on January 3rd, 2011 at 5:49 am said:

Anyone know how much it’ll cost?

+ k1ngsnak3 on January 3rd, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

wow – re-loaded?? One of my favorites from the previous system and a 100% DL for me!

+ Frejim on January 3rd, 2011 at 6:27 am said:

Angry Birds FTW!!!!

Difference between PSN and iphone game?

+ S-E-G on January 3rd, 2011 at 6:58 am said:

angry birds is free on mobile devices
watch greedy Sony charge for it
lol

+ AesirElite on January 3rd, 2011 at 7:06 am said:

Part of me is relieved that Xenogears and Vagrant Story and the other Square PSOne classics aren’t out yet because that means I can hold on to the $5.99/9.99 per game a little longer. But that just makes me sound cheap, eh?

Hopefully those are coming soon? I’ll start earmarking the spending cash now.

Also let’s see: Einhander, Suikoden II, Parasite Eve 1&2, Fear Effect 1&2, Strider 2, Chrono Cross, and Megaman Legends 1&2

There’s obviously lots of great PSOne classics that would be great on the store. I understand if licensing rights make them abandonware to be lost to the past. (I understand, though I don’t like that). There’s still many great titles to be re-released and I would like to encourage you to get as many as possible. I re-buy games that I loved even if I still have working CD copies because I like playing them on PSP too. Keep the good stuff coming!

+ Phoenix8387 on January 3rd, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

@95 – You fail.

You do realize it is not free on the iPhone. The Android version is also supported through advertising, which more than pays for the purchase price over time. However, I HIGHLY doubt an advertising scheme would work on a mini.

You also fail to realize Sony doesn’t set the price. They may suggest one but they don’t set the price. Thats something the dev does.