Uncharted 4

Mass Effect 2 PS3 Hits PSN and Blu-ray on January 18th, More Than a Simple Port

Evil Chris Priestly's Avatar + Posted by Evil Chris Priestly on Jan 12, 2011 // Community Coordinator, BioWare

Mass Effect 2 for the PlayStation 3 goes on sale in stores on January 18th in North America, and will also be available in downloadable form through the PlayStation Network in North America on January 18th.

Mass Effect 2 PS3

Mass Effect 2 is an amazing game. It has all of the benchmarks of a truly great science-fiction epic: a heroic main character, memorable companions each with their own personalities and abilities, terror-inducing villains, vast galaxies to explore, exotic alien races, strange worlds and locations, high-technology weapons and vehicles, and a story that will have fans talking about it and replaying it for ages.

Mass Effect 2 PSN Mass Effect 2 PS3 Box

In Mass Effect 2, you play as Commander Shepard who has to lead a crack team of mercenaries, scientists and soldiers on a mission to investigate the disappearances of human colonies throughout the galaxy. Who lives, who dies and the ultimate success or failure of the mission, is up to you. Now BioWare and the Mass Effect team are proud to bring Mass Effect 2 to the PlayStation community.

PlayStation fans have been asking for Mass Effect for years and we are very pleased to finally be bringing it to a new branch of Mass Effect fans. However, what I think Mass Effect fans on the PS3 will be most appreciative of is that this is not a simple port. The Mass Effect team has taken the time to utilize the PS3 hardware to the fullest in order to maximize your gameplay experience. It was also extremely important for the team to make sure playing with the PS3 controller worked and felt good. You will also see that the in-game graphics and cinematics are clearer and more vibrant on the PS3. As an added bonus, the PS3 version includes previously released DLC missions: Overlord, Lair of the Shadow Broker and Kasumi.

Mass Effect 2 for PS3

Mass Effect 2 takes place after Mass Effect 1 and some fans were concerned they would miss out on some of the important story choices available in the first game. The Mass Effect team, working with the fine folks at Dark Horse Comics, has created an interactive in-game comic that allows players new to the franchise to experience Mass Effect 1 while making the story choices that have repercussions in Mass Effect 2.

There is a demo of Mass Effect now available on the PlayStation Network. You can learn more about the demo here. This demo lets you play the start of Mass Effect 2 as well as introducing you to one of your potential party members, Dr Mordin Solus. Dr Solus, or Mordin to his friends, is a salarian scientist who can not only heal the sick; he can create new exotic weapons to use in battle. Finding Mordin and recruiting him to join you and your suicide mission will not be easy.

Look for Mass Effect 3 to come to the PS3 in Holiday 2011.

+ Carl-G on January 12th, 2011 at 1:53 pm said:

The demo was ok. But i don’t crave ex-xBox 360 games really :D

+ tommasoted on January 12th, 2011 at 1:54 pm said:

price?

+ KazeEternal on January 12th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Will the game load times be reduced for the download versus the bluray?

+ sybaritictrance on January 12th, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

I can tell ya what would spike PSN+ account subscriptions.. Discount ME2 for PSN+ subscribers to 39.99 and I bet you it’ll sell like hotcakes.

+ Link01 on January 12th, 2011 at 2:38 pm said:

Also, the PSN version contains the DLC too right?

Evil Chris Priestly's Avatar

+ Evil Chris Priestly on January 13th, 2011 at 7:48 am said:

Yes indeed. Same as the physical version. =)

+ Link01 on January 12th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

I also agree, you guys should discount this for PS+ subscribers. It would GREATLY spike it :D

+ KazeEternal on January 12th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

@105-106 Link01
The PSN version is the exact same game as the disc. So they aren’t any different.

However I don’t think PS+ should be the only ones to get this for 39.99. 60 dollars for a game that came out a year ago is pretty steep.

+ jamaniek_PL on January 12th, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Any price tag yet?

+ plaztiksyke on January 12th, 2011 at 3:09 pm said:

Does the bluray have better quality audio or video assets than the downloadable version? (If not, [DELETED]?)

Does Mass Effect 2 have more options for same-sex romance than Mass Effect did?

Have there been any further improvements/optimizations to the graphics rendering (and/or collision detection) since the demo?

Thanks!

+ Shadealmighty on January 12th, 2011 at 3:16 pm said:

For all you folks saying that its to expensive.
1) Its running on Mass Effect 3 Engine
2) Comes with free DLC
3) You need to understand the plot from ME1/ME2 to play ME3(Coming to PS3 this year)
4) You don’t have to buy day 1(wait 1month b4 ME3 release and get it in bargain bin)
5) Rent it
6) Suck it up and support Sony for giving us this AWESOME franchise!
^My Opinion…

+ so-knee on January 12th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

WOW! This came out of nowhere. A PSN release is crazy, but I just happen to like crazy, so thanks…will be picking up the download version.

+ clupula668 on January 12th, 2011 at 3:37 pm said:

It’s amazing to see so many whiners in this thread. I, for one, don’t mind paying $60 for it (already have it 100% paid off at Gamestop), since, to me, it’s a new game. If you already had the 360 version, okay, I can understand you not double-dipping, but if you are new to the series, like I am, you have no reason to complain.

+ KazeEternal on January 12th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

@102
1) woop dee doo it runs on the ME3 engine. So we should be happy we’re guinea pigs for their untested engine.

2) Yes the DLC that has been out for 6 months or more is free, this is a plus as I enjoyed it. Then again there are plenty of special offers going down that make it easy for us to get the whole package for 50 dollars. This doesn’t change the fact that the next 2 DLC packages will still cost us money.

3) ME2 comes with the motion comic, but not the full experience of ME1. I don’t really think this counts for much more than getting us up to speed for ME3

4) Assuming it’ll be on bargin bin sales

5) Rent ME2…. sure… long game easy to beat in a weeks time.

6) You mean support Bioware and EA. Not an SCE game.

+ PoisonDart on January 12th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Glad I upgraded my HDD to 320gb, plenty of space to D/L this bad boy day 1.

+ KazeEternal on January 12th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

@112

For 109 not 102.

+ jqtaxpayer on January 12th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Keep up the great work, Bioware.

+ chuckym80 on January 12th, 2011 at 3:45 pm said:

If I play the playstation plus 60 min trial and my time is over
and I buy a physical copy of the game will my save file carry over.Will I continue where i left off from the trial and will i get the trophies i got in the trial?

+ halowars7 on January 12th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

@116: Yes, you will be able to continue from where you left off.

+ whyaskdouknow on January 12th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

how much will the PSN version cost ?

+ NotoriousGamer on January 12th, 2011 at 4:37 pm said:

-r u going support PlayStation Home with a public ME2 game space?
-Does the game offer any PS Home reward items?
-Is there in-game PS3 screenshot support?
-Is PS Move supported?
-Is background downloading supported while the game is running?

I am guessing the answer to all of these are “NO”!

-Is there a massive required install to play the game?

12GB. lol i hope u learn from this and apply it to ME3. Probably not.

No thanks.

+ MALDINI-1985 on January 12th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

thank you BioWare, EA.
day one…

+ Monetep on January 12th, 2011 at 4:44 pm said:

Amazing, i just recently (yesterday as a matter of fact) finished Mass Effect 1, i played this piece of art on my pc, i wasn’t gonna play ME2 without playing the first one, no sir, not after can’t understand of what Shepard and co. where talking about, Rippers? Geth? Cerberus? Illusive Man?

Now i’m ready for some ME2 and 3 later on this year…
This time, in the comic, i won’t let Wrex die…

+ Lasani on January 12th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

Will the PSN version have a 24 hour lock?

+ Spacerac on January 12th, 2011 at 5:40 pm said:

You know, how about instead of complaining about the price, get a friggin job. It’s their product, they can charge as they damn well please.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on January 12th, 2011 at 6:31 pm said:

almost thought about buying it digital until I saw the file size. thats about a tenth of my already full hdd

+ Espeo on January 12th, 2011 at 8:09 pm said:

Are there any differences between the Blu-Ray and downloaded versions?

+ XLoCoX on January 12th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

Will it included the 3 DLCs (Whatever happened to the fourth?) in PSN or at the retail?

+ kamikaze_joe91 on January 12th, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

1 hour game trail? for PS+ I got an hour and 30 minutes of the demo

+ OnslaughtCometh on January 12th, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

One thing they apparently forgot to optimize was text size.

+ XenoNative on January 12th, 2011 at 10:42 pm said:

Ms. Chen,
sorry if this is a silly question but will the downloadable mass effect2 look as good as the blu ray release?

+ AkAng1600 on January 13th, 2011 at 1:04 am said:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GRACE CHEN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!! WHAT ABOUT EUROPE PSS !!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!DO YOU RELEASE THE GAME IN OUR PSS!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ ClearClover on January 13th, 2011 at 1:33 am said:

I’ve been counting the days until this game gets released for PS3 since last year, I really can’t wait until it’s out.

I’ve already played the demo several times, in fact I just played it again a few hours ago, the demo alone has very good replayability with the 6 different classes you can play as, and the different dialogue choices you can make.

+ Senju_Karim on January 13th, 2011 at 3:20 am said:

DAY 1!! To bad I have to wait until my friend ships it to me to play it…but by the time it arrives my exams will be over! :D I bought the first game on Steam and will make the same choices in the comic…now I just hope it arrives before Feb 23rd so I can get my Terminus armour and Blackstorm gun! :P…Can Bioware help me out on that one, if I shock a proof of purchase…:D

+ crusher915 on January 13th, 2011 at 7:01 am said:

is the Psn version localized and will it be coming to the UK?

+ DANE_TRAIN_05 on January 13th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

I love that this is coming to the PS3!!! I work in retail and watch everyone pick this up for the Xbox. I also love that you get all the DLC included instead of waiting and downloading later. I can’t wait!!! :D

+ LoGan501 on January 13th, 2011 at 7:47 am said:

Will it also be possible to download the game in the german Playstation Store?

+ twooh on January 13th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

Wow! After seeing ‘Evil Chris Priestly’ avatar, I can’t say I’m surprised in the high price of a year old game.

Good job Illuminati.

+ Sponge-worthy on January 13th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

With LBP2, Dead Space 2, Killzone 3, and MvC 3 releasing currently, I simply cannot justify a $60 expense for this year-old port. I predict a sharp price cut within six weeks–once Bioware has captured the overly-excitable ‘day one’ buyers.

+ heisLaharl on January 13th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

Bioware games have been pretty good. Outside of this being a “year-old game” it still has a great story and unique gameplay. I enjoyed the demo, played it twice in fact. Glad us PS+ subscribers get the 60 min trial. It will determine if I’ll grab this or just wait till my Dragon Age II comes out in March.

*btw Evil Chris- I like the Avatar (all seeing eye!)

+ jdt532 on January 13th, 2011 at 2:19 pm said:

Do you have to have a Cerberus code to download any of the free extra content that’s not on the disk such as the interactive comic? If so how will that work with the digital PSN version? Will the code be sent via e-mail?

+ phenex1 on January 14th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

I downloaded the demo and that was just the a snack compared to the actual thing. Cant wait for it. What I really liked about the demo is that it shows you all the available clases in the game. Recomendation for beginners choose the soldier class so you can experience all the weapons and get used to all of them. As a former xbox player I know how this goes. in mass effect 1 I let myself go and went guns blazing with a class that is supposed to be a sniper and stealth. that was just mad. LOL good times

+ klexam on January 14th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

Digital Download or Disc Based? Which will it be? Start the answer at http://www.PlaystationWeekly.com

+ FamedNemesis on January 14th, 2011 at 4:03 pm said:

Too many amazing games comin to PS3, good bye social life…

+ chopork87 on January 15th, 2011 at 4:26 am said:

I just got ME2 on 360 for Christmas from my fiance and it is amazing. I was hesitant to do so, but I am definitely going to double dip for this game. I split time between my fiance’s house and my own, but tend to leave the 360 at my house because the PS3 seems easier to move from place to place. Those of you complaining about price, I understand that, but you are doing yourself and your console a disservice by not picking up this game.

+ Hatchetforce on January 15th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

Chris, will the PS3 version support game registration like my past Bioware titles?

+ control-SEVEN on January 15th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

There should be a PSN option to buy the vanilla ME2 for 29.99 and sell all the DLC separate at normal price like on Xbox Live. Not everyone wants the DLC and should not be forced to pay for them.

+ Hatchetforce on January 15th, 2011 at 4:55 pm said:

A new game on most platforms costs $59. Even if the game is delayed. Now we are talking about a title that though a year old has won too many awards to mention. I don’t take the year delay kindly but even the basic game is well worth the price. At some point you have to realize you can’t have something for nothing. If you really want it that cheap there is always the PC/360 choices.

+ W_A_R_B_O_Y_ on January 15th, 2011 at 10:31 pm said:

Which version has faster loading times? Considering hdd’s usually run faster than blurays and dvds, this might be interesting…

+ canadianmovieman on January 16th, 2011 at 6:01 am said:

When this releases on Tuesday, is there any chance that the game could be availiable at 12:01 am… so we could let it download during the night… and play it in the morning… just a question…

+ Lugoves on January 16th, 2011 at 6:26 am said:

Hmm. Time wise I have no more time for an RPG … I have quite a few games I haven’t ~finished~ [By that I mean played through versus 'Platinum'] But I might Download it off PSN and see if I have time in the future?