PS3-TLOU Left Behind

MotorStorm Apocalypse: The End is Nigh!

Brian Dunn's Avatar + Posted by Brian Dunn on Jan 13, 2011 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Hello, PlayStation blog readers. I’m excited to be able to deliver some big news about MotorStorm Apocalypse: the game will officially be bringing off-road racing mayhem of apocalyptic proportions to your PS3 on April 12, 2011.

And to introduce the game’s cool cover art, here is Matt Southern, the Game Director at Evolution Studios.

Our cover art has been sent to shops and websites ready for pre-order. Once again we’ve got different boxes depending on where you live! I thought I’d share them here.

Here’s our European box. Our priority here is to show what is new in the game, and it slightly harks back to the box for MotorStorm 1. It is quite unusual for a racing game and we spent a long time working out what we thought would be right.

MotorStorm Apocalypse PS3 EU box art

…and here’s the US version. It is much more of a ‘classic’ box and is based on an image we created in early 2010 that I absolutely love, which means I can’t decide which l like best…

MotorStorm Apocalypse PS3 North American box art

I’d love to know which you all like the best – and what cover art over the years have really stood out for you. My all-time favourite is probably the EU/Japanese version of ICO, painted by Ueda-San and inspired by The Nostalgia of the Infinite by Giorgio de Chirico. I also get a nostalgia buzz from looking at the games I played in the 80’s with airbrush art by Bob Wakelin. Good times. :)

You’ve read about some of the cool new features the game has to offer, and watched the first in-depth developer diary video. And the game just had a great showing at the Sony booth at CES last week, wowing people with its mind-blowing 3D and intense racing across, and through, gigantic skyscrapers.

So don’t forget to pre-order the game before it hits on April 12 to get one of the cool pre-order packs available. There’s much more in store for MotorStorm Apocalypse in the coming months to look forward to. Until next time!

+ Link01 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:01 am said:

* sigh *… I kinda like the EU box art more. They always look better :(. Why can’t we just keep it the same world wide >.<

+ Kirkpad on January 13th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

My favorite cover art of all time is the NA release of Katamari Damacy on PS2.

I like the cover of the EU one (explosions FTW), but the spine of the NA one.

+ Dosx001 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

I really want this game GT5 is fine but Motor Storm is like racing but with an F U!!!! in it which is fun i rented Motor Storm Pacific Rift twice was fun wanted 2 buy it n get the platinum but so many games this year so i can’t :(

+ diablo103 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

The EU cover is leaps and bounds better the US version is dull and boring compared to the EU one. My two favorite box arts have been L.A.I.R. and Heavenly Sword (US)

+ BigRon3400 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

EU boxart is way cooler. I haven’t really liked the last 2 motorstorm games. But this one has me interested.

+ klexam on January 13th, 2011 at 10:15 am said:

I love MotorStorm! I’ve been a fan since the day one release of the first game. I have an opinion on what I think critics will say. Too much to post here. I posted it on my website though at http://www.playstationweekly.com It would be cool to have you guys go to my site and comment on my thoughts about this game. I want to know if others feel like I do about it.

+ WarHawk_ on January 13th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

I personally like the European box cover better… the other one is nice but the EU one is just awesome. Nice job guys !

+ pitythefool852 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

I’m loving both covers, but the EU one is more subtle chaos, whilst the American is more in-your-face grit and speed.

I’m wondering if the SCEH cover will be the same as SCEE/J

+ pitythefool852 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:22 am said:

Looking carefully, I like the side of the EU cover more… it’s much clearer on the shelf.

Besides that both covers are good… hopefully the USA will continue to get good covers, unlike the old ICO one :)

+ zombie_56 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

I WANT THE EUROPE BOX ART PLEASEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ halowars7 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

Once again, EU is 100x better than US’s.

+ Adrenalyn915 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

EU cover is definitely better, but I don’t mind the US cover.

+ remanutd5 on January 13th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

i’ve just found out that europe is getting the game on March 16th , why are we getting the game a month later? what is this? thats not fair !!!!!!!!!

+ xDD90x on January 13th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

I like the EU cover better since it has the US cover art in the background as well. So essentially, you get both covers in one.

+ LightAce on January 13th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

Glad my Birthday is only 5 days after the release

+ bg93- on January 13th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

I guess I like the NA box. But they both look. Awesome!!!

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 13th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

THIS DATE SHALL BE MARKED ON MY CALANDER OF MUST HAVE PS3 EXCLUSIVES RIGHT……NOW! BOTH COVERS LOOK AWESOME IMO..BUT HONESTLY ITS ALL ABOUT THE GAME..AND ACCORDING TO ALL THE PREVIEW VIDEOS IVE SEEN…THIS GAME IS AMAZING!

SO..LBP2,MVSC3,KZ2,UNCHARTED3,RESISTANCE3 AND MOTORSTORM:A ARE OFFICIALLY DATED..NOW ALL WE NEED IS INFAMOUS2 AND SOCOM4..:)

+ angelspawn77 on January 13th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

Im digging the US cover more, nice depiction of speed and the vehicles. Both are great though :D

+ DEZVOUS on January 13th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

I’d have to say that the American version of the box art actually looks way better in this case. Which is rare because usually the European covers are way more artistic and generally just cooler. This time though, I think the overall composition of the American one looks nicer and the huge helmet doesn’t really do much for me.

There’s not enough contrast in the EU version, everything is basically the same color.

+ MUGEN02 on January 13th, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

Hows the demo coming along?

+ spunnups on January 13th, 2011 at 11:39 am said:

Euro Box Art for the US PLEASE!!!

+ remanutd5 on January 13th, 2011 at 11:43 am said:

Brian why are we getting the game a month later than Europe ? i know Evolution Studios is a british developer but still , it should be a worldwide release date or maybe days apart not almost a month , come on !!!!

+ LunarRoar on January 13th, 2011 at 11:52 am said:

Is there any way we can vote on the cover? The EU box art looks a lot better than the US one >__>

+ MarinoBrea on January 13th, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

I’ve noticed in several game box arts that for the European version the developers studio logo is featured on the front, but not so for the USA version. Why is that?

+ Ethereal on January 13th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

Awesome another game I will need to buy this year. I love the US box art! Can’t wait looks great guys!

+ deathdrive123 on January 13th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

EU box art all the way!

+ pgsdi on January 13th, 2011 at 12:35 pm said:

Once again the EU box art looks great and the Us region looks like generic poop.

+ tiger7758 on January 13th, 2011 at 12:48 pm said:

I really like the EU version more. Is there a way to print it and use it instead?

+ DeadCell34 on January 13th, 2011 at 1:03 pm said:

I agree, the Euro box looks awesome………. however, our (the US’) box is pretty lame.

Change the US box or I wouldn’t count on selling anyone on the game by the cover art, that’s for sure. Its too traditional, its been done thousands of times, and its boring.

+ CheckMark on January 13th, 2011 at 1:04 pm said:

Hey Brian, your link to “cool new features” doesn’t work.

Brian Dunn's Avatar

+ Brian Dunn on January 13th, 2011 at 1:34 pm said:

Thanks for letting me know. There was a line break / return in there, and the CMS auto-inserted a in the middle of the url at that spot. It’s now fixed.

+ hush404 on January 13th, 2011 at 2:00 pm said:

Sigh. Eur always gets the better motorstorm covers.

+ D-Roca on January 13th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

BRING THE EU BOX ART TO AMERICA!!!!

America box art is ugly as hell

+ mikemill on January 13th, 2011 at 2:06 pm said:

European box art looks much, much cooler. (SIGH) Once again, Europe gets cooler box art….

+ jimmyfoxhound on January 13th, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

EU cover is WAY better. Why different covers? The NA cover is a blurry mess. The EU cover is much cleaner and visually interesting to look at. This doesn’t make sense. Why are they different??

+ DaMostWanted786 on January 13th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

Wow…. I totally love the EU one!!!

+ poodude on January 13th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

Aww man, I would much rather get the Euro box!

+ Dragun619 on January 13th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

Hey Brian, Any new Trailer anytime soon? And is it possible to have the EU Boxart as a flip side for US version? Or Do you guys already have the flipside covered? If so, is it possible, if you guys can post both EU and US Boxart available to print? That would great man, Thanks.

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on January 13th, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

wow, kudos to the Europe for getting the badder-ass one, while we just get the bad-ass one… lol

+ NotoriousGamer on January 13th, 2011 at 5:15 pm said:

dammit i dont like the NA boxart. the EU one is better. MS1 had the best.

+ SlaveSpawn on January 13th, 2011 at 6:07 pm said:

I def. like the UK ver. since it show more of the city setting we’ll be driving in along w that killer explosive wreck reflection on the visor.

+ kevinzzzcool on January 13th, 2011 at 7:16 pm said:

When will the demo be released onto the PSN?

+ OCDog45 on January 13th, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

looking forward to this one.

+ Dardantuan on January 13th, 2011 at 7:50 pm said:

Day one purchase for me, this is definitely my favorite racing franchise.

On a side note, I prefer the EU box art over the USA version a million times over… It looks much more artistic and eye catching. Not to mention the fact that it actually appears that some sort of apocalypse has happened. What is up with the US marketers anyways?

+ HTK on January 13th, 2011 at 8:05 pm said:

Getting this day one.

+ kamikaze_joe91 on January 13th, 2011 at 11:44 pm said:

I like the EU cover

+ InjusticeJoker on January 14th, 2011 at 3:27 am said:

And the EU Release is ah whole month earlier? ;) Nice one!
Better boxart und 3-4 weeks before the US? How the times have changed, Lovin it!

+ CREEVAL on January 14th, 2011 at 5:06 am said:

Logitech Wheel support???…Why alienate all of the people who’ve invested into steering wheels for the racing genre and not give them the option to use the #1 way to play racing games? Please make sure there is wheel support as if any MS game should have it, it should be this one!

+ dsi24 on January 14th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

@Brian Dunn:
Is it just me, or is the bridge exploding in the reflection of the EU version’s helmet the same exploding bridge the US racers are on?

+ T24 on January 14th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

Cross-game voice chat

+ EspadaKiller on January 14th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

The EU boxart looks way cooler and better! Is there any R3 (Asia version) boxart? Wonder how the Asia boxart looks like~