The Last Guardian

Jan 14

VUDU Update Adds Stereoscopic 3D Movie Streaming

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar Posted by Caitlin Spaan on Jan 14, 2011 // Head of Marketing, VUDU

Hello fellow movie lovers, a quick note from VUDU. We’re excited to announce that as of today we’re ready to take you to a whole new dimension. If you’ve got a 3D-enabled TV hooked up to your PS3, now you can stream in 3D directly from VUDU. So grab your 3D glasses and hang on!

VUDU on PSN: 3D Homescreen

If you’ve already downloaded the VUDU app, it will be updated automatically with the new functionality – you don’t need to do a thing. If you haven’t downloaded the VUDU app – well, what are you waiting for? When you download the free VUDU app and sign up for a VUDU account, we will credit your account $5.99, which is enough to get you an HDX rental. We hope you’ll give it a try – we think you’ll love it!

We would love to hear what you think, or if you have any questions we’ll be responding below! We also love compliments, so post all of those too :-)

VUDU on PSN: 3D Homescreen

PAGE 1 2

+ naiyo on January 14th, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

when will the ps move work with vudu?

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 17th, 2011 at 8:31 am said:

It isn’t available yet but stay tuned!

+ Aleksey_US on January 14th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

Do you guys realize how much money you can make if you offer a Monthly Subscription Service? There are tons of people out there who might consider dumping their NetFlixes and Hulus for this, many people just love watching the most recent movies… I currently have Neflix and Hulu+ most of the time i’d much rather just wait 2 days for a BluRay from Neflix instead of spending 4-6$ to watch a movie through Vudu… Have you even considered it as a viable option? I bet there would be thousands of people waiting to not only pay $10 or $20 a month but even $30 and $40… I’m sure Netflix and Hulu will eventually catch up to you on the recent movie selection, I think that it would be a very smart business strategy to do this ASAP if i was Vudu…

+ NEJI64 on January 14th, 2011 at 3:18 pm said:

to bad VUDU don’t have a subscription like Netflix I would jump ships.

+ TwinDad on January 14th, 2011 at 3:48 pm said:

Looks like my 1.5mbps connection won’t do it. I guess yea for me I get to save money.

Well it will for SD, but I have netflix, so I unless you can beat them with quantity, I’m goign to stay.

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 4:49 pm said:

Actually, 1.5 Mbps will stream SD and SD 3D!

+ S-E-G on January 14th, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

i’d rather watch 3d movies at the theater, it’s really not the same as the gimmicky Sony 3dtv’s

+ SKYWALKERTAS on January 14th, 2011 at 2:18 pm said:

Is VUDU available in Canada? Is sounds amazing!

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

Not yet, but stay tuned!

+ MYlittleHAND on January 14th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

I agree with Aleksey_US. Since I bought my 3D TV I have been starving for content, but most 3D Blu-Rays are $30 give or take. Too much to buy sight unseen. I have been in contact with Netflix about renting 3D Blu’s, but they say currently they have no plans to do so. I presume because of the cost of stocking and replacing physical discs. PS Network wants to charge physical prices for dlc and it’s a limited selection to boot. Vudu can circumvent these problems and steal me from both no questions asked, as long as you do it before netflix does. I would gladly pay $20 or $30 a month for access to streaming 3D alone. Early adopters are the best clientele to attract since often we are the people that friends and family look to for advice on what to buy. I have been checking my PS3 every day since the Press Release and I think Untangled and (surprisingly) the Pebble beach Concours d’Elagance look very cool. the depth in the Concours really gives the feeling that I am standing on the lawn as the cars roll by. I hope you realize the opportunity to steal a huge chunk of the burgeoning streaming pie and offer and all you can stream monthly fee!

+ KILLZONE79 on January 14th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

3D is too dam expensive holy crap!

+ MYlittleHAND on January 14th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

P.S. as a nearly seven year Netflix customer I sat and watched as Blockbuster thought they didn’t need to stream, and they are nearly dead now as Netflix thrives. Netflix may be ready for repeating history as I said, since they are ignoring 3D altogether. 3D has introduced me to Vudu and the service is great, I had no idea you could stream at such high quality. But I already get all the Blu-rays I want for around $15 a month, with a huge selection to choose from, and there are no limitations to how long I can keep them. So that makes limited viewing periods and $6+ per rental laughable. Now 3D on the other hand….

+ pickupdoctor on January 14th, 2011 at 4:10 pm said:

Caitlin Spaan and Vudu Team thank you for awesome support. That is great that you are taking a moment to answer our questions and give us solutions or suggestions how to solve them.

I wish more companies took their time to address any issues or questions when Playstation Blog writes an article about such company’s involvement with PS3. This shows us how much you care and that PS3 is an important venue for your product.

Keep up good work. I think adding 3D is a great move on your part.

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

Thank you!

+ SpyDudeFX on January 14th, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

VUDU is awesome, amazing picture quality that feels like watching a Blu-ray Disc. The only issue are delayed releases, but I realize this is a studio thing. Disney and Sony are guilty of this, why prevent me from paying $5.99 to rent your content when I could easily get the disc from Netflix or a kiosk for $1? Studios need to day and date all formats.

+ Grendolai on January 14th, 2011 at 4:31 pm said:

VUDU rocks! I canceled Netflix and do VUDU exclusively now. Awesome quality, great selection….and lazier than Redbox!

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 4:52 pm said:

Great, thank you!

+ Grendolai on January 14th, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

I also wanted to add that I think you should let us keep the movies once watched for 7 days. I only rent SD cuz I don’t want to pay $6 for a 1 or 2 day rental. But if I could pay $6 for 5-7 days I’d be more tempted.

Once we’ve rented a movie, give us a discounted price the next time we rentit? Like full price once then $2.00 every time after?

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 4:57 pm said:

We do have a large selection of $2 movies you can rent for 48 hours – check it out on the $2, 2 nights promo on the front page!

+ Hellman on January 14th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

Sony needs to add an app xmb icon to navigate through to find all of these apps it’ll be easier to find for people instead of looking through the psn store.

+ fijski8 on January 14th, 2011 at 5:29 pm said:

Yes, Vudu was awesome. I had the whole TV low sound issue on my ps3 too… wish you had a feature that would fix this for those without surrond sound.

+ dime5150 on January 14th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

I tried VUDU and it’s great! I had just a tiny bit of artifacting but nothing to distracting.

You know why I will always rent from VUDU over PSN? Because VUDU actually takes the correct amount of money from you. PSN makes you buy 5 dollar chunks and NEVER gives you change back! It’s like walking into the store to buy a $1.25 purchase. The clerk tells you you have to pay $5.00 to buy it and then refuses to give you change claiming “oh you will probably be back some other time and the money will apply then.”

I hate even buying games off of PSN. Fix this stupid system! As for VUDU, thanks for such a great service. I’m amazed at how you can pull it off it’s great! I’ve moved away from iTunes for movie rentals now.

I wonder if Sony gets interest off of our money that is sitting in their hands we can’t get back..

+ iTofuMan on January 14th, 2011 at 5:54 pm said:

Are these only new movies or are there old movies as well? I am trying to look for this one movie, but most places (like blockbuster/netflix,etc) dont have it.Also is there any international movies or is it strictly US movies?

This seems like a good feature, but i dont know if i will be getting the full experience as i dont have HMDI cables (why this wasnt included in all Ps3 consoles is beyond me, and most cords i see are roughly 50-100$) nor do i have a 3d tv (having just recently bought a hd tv, but again i cant really use the function as i dont own the right cables)

+ death_vader301 on January 14th, 2011 at 6:19 pm said:

did people get the same problem i did ? i download the 1st app and got 5.00 in credit then log off cuz internet problems but soon as i fix that i lost the credit for the first video . then when i try to register on vudu it keep haveing errors . i try looking online , vudu help database and etc but cant find a solution . please help . and i do prefer vudu over netflix do to me not haveing a credit card.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 14th, 2011 at 6:23 pm said:

I heard 3D TV makes you cross eyed.

+ Sindred on January 14th, 2011 at 6:56 pm said:

Thanks for doing this. Really excited about watching 3D trailers too.

+ king_of_kings on January 14th, 2011 at 8:06 pm said:

i have downloaded the app and i never used the credit and now that i tried using the app to use the credit and well i have no credit at all what gives?

+ TubaDude49 on January 14th, 2011 at 8:15 pm said:

I was very impressed with the service, but I fear I won’t be using it very often. It was awesome to have a new HD movie streamed to me with no lag,but I was dissapointed when I did not have the option to buy the movie at a discount after my rental, as many video stores would.

So while I would have jumped on the oppurtunity to pick up Scott Pilgrim at $9.00($15 – $6 rental) after seeing how awesome it was, that wasn’t an option, and I felt that it wasn’t worth it to spend another $15 just to get a digital only copy, and went out and purchased the Blu-Ray instead.

I hope you can convince me otherwise in the future. Great implementation, but the prices offer no advantage over other services. Sure you may have specials, but so does AT&T Uverse On-Demand.

Also, was the Move support added?

+ df2506 on January 14th, 2011 at 9:36 pm said:

I downloaded the VUDU app today. We watched the Town for free. It was really good. Just watched SD, but it looked really great anyway. Streaming was perfect. No glitches at all. :)

We plan to watch another movie soon. Cool service. I’m glad its there’s no subscription. This is going to be a great way to see some new and old movies alike! Thanks for bringing it to the PS3.

+ chuckym80 on January 14th, 2011 at 10:15 pm said:

i have a question that my sister keeps asking. so she works at wal mart and as u know gets discounts at walmart. since vudu is owned by walmart does she get discount on renting or buying movies too, u know by using her discount card.

+ iTofuMan on January 14th, 2011 at 10:24 pm said:

Im really impressed I have been searching what movie to watch and i honestly cant decide i will most likely continue using this as it is very good.
Not much on the TV side though. would be nice to see some Doctor Who, or Always Sunny in Philadelphia.

+ DriftBanana on January 14th, 2011 at 11:38 pm said:

In response to your question, Caitlin, My network speed ranges from 15-25mbps down depending on the time of day… This is why I am really confused by the artifacting!

+ FrankG on January 15th, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

Canada please !!!

+ FrankG on January 15th, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

Please ! make it available for canadians !!!

+ xxKinGjxx on January 15th, 2011 at 1:27 pm said:

Im having the audio issue too im using an RCA television with composite cables and i have to max the volume to hear things

+ watsuke on January 15th, 2011 at 6:27 pm said:

I hope you guys are still reading this.

When i was watching some movies, there were artifacts at the bottom of the screen in the black bar area. I tried streaming in SD, HD, and HDX but it was there on every setting. I have a 12Mb/s connection.

Have you been able to find this problem, i dont think its affecting everyone as i only saw one other person mention it. Thanks for looking into this.

+ Lemondish on January 15th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

I watched the Matrix trilogy in HDX on this service and have to say it was a pretty wonderful experience. The quality was fantastic, but I did have an issue with the low volume that I attributed to it being 5.1 dolby surround being utterly wasted as it was pushed through the meager two speakers of my television set. One of these days I’ll be able to get one of those fancy sound bars and REALLY get to enjoy these movies the way they’re meant to be seen ;)

I did have one question about the service though. How often will new movies be added to the catalog? Will it focus more on upcoming and recently released films or will we also see more old-school flicks?

+ AnimeGamer17 on January 15th, 2011 at 8:08 pm said:

No offence Sony but… I really don’t see the big picture of 3D actually i prefer 2D not to be a downer or anything but i think the push for 3D gaming is waste of time for me and many other people enjoy our games and movies in 2D Sony i recommend you spending less time trying to keep up with childish fads and get to the real business…. improving gaming an psn itself.

+ Sum-Mischief on January 16th, 2011 at 1:34 am said:

I love VUDU … I have bought many movies from the service mostly SD movies but, Hey! still looks great to me.

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on January 16th, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

Hi this looks great… the bad thing about this kind of services as always its that it only works on the US and sometimes in Canada… but why never in latin america… anyone know why that happend?

+ Undead_reapers on January 16th, 2011 at 8:29 am said:

This is something that I don’t get, there’s the ps store, netflix and now VUDU all giving the service of movie rentals. Everyone lining up like trained goats to get these services and paying to buy movies? I don’t speak on behalf of all Canadians but what I have to say [DELETED]? If you don’t have the technology or don’t want to spend money every time to “rent” a movie do the smart thing and d/l. You get movies before there released in stores and hell you don’t pay a damn thing. NUFF said.

+ tonydamiani on January 16th, 2011 at 8:43 am said:

When Someone Explains to me why in Hell this isnt available to Puerto Rico then I will use it!!

+ merajc on January 16th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

Would be nice to have this in South Africa. I can get a stable 3.5mbps in my house, could just let it download for an hour and then begin watching, while still streaming.

And here you’ve got no competition.

+ Midgetguy on January 16th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

Is there a way for the VUDU wallets to be connected with our PSN wallets? Once that happens, I’ll probably use Vudu very often!

+ Elantra06 on January 16th, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

How can we find out when we can buy certain movies, as some of them are only available for rent ? and would like to see more to own in HD at least ??

+ The_Apprentice on January 17th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Hey Caitlin, this is gonna sound stupid but I entered the incorrect email address on my parent’s ps3. Noticed after clicking submit. The keyboard is so different from the built in PS3 OS keyboard that I entered an additional letter I think :/.

I’ve searched the VUDU app and I don’t see anywhere I can change the email address. I also see that that PS3 is activated to that email address which I cannot access cause it doesn’t exist lol.

How do I go about changing the email address for that PS3?

+ johnny905 on January 17th, 2011 at 7:21 pm said:

CANADA Please!! Desperately seeking 3D content!!

+ MBARAY on January 18th, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

I have tried some of the 3D trailers and Hearst Castle and they all play at 720P resolution rather than the HDX 1080 that I selected. Is there some PS3 setting that has to be changed or is the PS3 only capable of 720P 3D streaming from VUDU?

+ KineticArtist on January 27th, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

I love Vudu the test said I couldnt handle HDX but the HD stream fine have watched 2 movies now over my 20Mbs 5Mbs Cable connection and my PS3 only seems to get 10 to 5Mbs up or down users having issues are probably on COmcast Im on Brighthouse
and if you dont know why that would make a difference google comcast and net neutraility….

+ ForgiveMyAim on January 14th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

I rented inception from Vudu for free and was pleased with the service, especially the Wikipedia and Rotten Tomatoes integration. I must repay my debt.

+ PlayNChilll on January 14th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

With 3D movie streaming don’t you need good internet speed? Because 3D movie uses a lot of bandwidth.

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 2:31 pm said:

To expand on my comment below – you can stream 3D SD, HD and HDX. SD minimum is 1.5 Mbps, HD is 2.25 Mbps.

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

You need the same speed for HD/HDX movies. Minimum is 4.5 Mbps but 9 Mbps is the best.

+ cuterena on January 14th, 2011 at 12:33 pm said:

@ Queasy1 Vudu will actually test your speed, and give you the speed it recommends for you to use. I imagine so long as you were suggested to use HDX, 3D should be fine.

I look forward to watching a movie in 3D from Vudu, and hope it streams as well as the HDX, which I have had no problems with.

Caitlin Spaan's Avatar

+ Caitlin Spaan on January 14th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

Exactly :) Thanks Cuterena!

+ tigerfodder on January 14th, 2011 at 12:34 pm said:

sorry, but I don’t have a 3D television and I won’t get one until they eliminate the need for glasses since I wear regular glasses.

+ cuterena on January 14th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

Any chance of adding a voucher so we can see how well the 3D runs as a download prior to purchase? I own a couple 3D movies, and have been impressed. The games that run in 3D are amazing as well. Much better than I would have guessed when I made the purchase.

+ cuterena on January 14th, 2011 at 12:39 pm said:

How much will they cost in 3D? Same as HDX?

+ depward on January 14th, 2011 at 12:37 pm said:

I really, really like VUDU. Love the integration of the data you have for each movie. I prefer it over Comcast’s On-Demand service and I really like how big of a documentary section you have on there.

PAGE 1 2