PS4-The Order

L.A. Noire Muscles Its Way Onto the Cover of PlayStation: The Official Magazine

Gary Steinman's Avatar + Posted by Gary Steinman on Jan 17, 2011 // Editor in Chief, PlayStation: The Official Magazine

L.A. Noire PlayStation The Official Magazine

February is a strange month for magazines. Most February issues are shipped in December and come out in January, which puts them smack on the border of two years. Naturally, that means it’s a time for PTOM to look back and ahead all at once—a dizzying proposition, to be sure.

But that doesn’t mean it ain’t an exciting time. 2010 was a phenomenal year for the PS3, something we celebrate in our Game of the Year feature. While our big winner might not surprise (hint: it’s an epic adventure of godly proportions), our other picks will surely delight. Each editor nominated his four favorite games, many of which will be great reminders of the stellar year that was. We also picked our top PSP and PSN game—and while our PSP nod makes perfect sense, our PSN choice (which also, ahem, makes perfect sense) is another big surprise.

Looking ahead, our cover story is a ten-page expose on what’s sure to be one of the biggest games of early 2011. We got to dig deeper than anyone else into L.A. Noire’s cinematic landscape, experiencing an exclusive case and chatting with the minds behind Rockstar’s ambitious game. The technology alone is impressive enough, using a proprietary scanning system to capture facial expressions the player is then supposed to “read” as part of the game. (It’s a detective story, so interrogation plays a key role.) That’s nifty enough, but it’s the ambition behind the storytelling and the world-building that really captured my attention. It’s an inelegant comparison, perhaps, but L.A. Noire is poised to be this year’s Heavy Rain in terms of its ambition and promise. I can’t wait to play it!

We also look ahead with a six-page exclusive on Shadows of the Damned, the quirky new horror title from Resident Evil creator Shinji Mikami. And for those committed to keeping their New Year’s resolutions, we’ve got a guide to the top exercise games. All that, plus our final verdicts on LittleBigPlanet 2, Mass Effect 2, and Dead Space 2. Enjoy!

+ sugarfree98 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

nice,i’ll have to pick up a copy.

+ LeahM75 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

Does this mean L.A. Noire is lead platform on PS3? If not I dont see the point of making it a cover story.

GTA4 and Red Dead Redemption were inferior ports here on PS3.
I expect the same from Noire. Not good Sony.

+ DZORMAGEN on January 17th, 2011 at 10:34 am said:

That’s a nice looking magazine cover!

+ ghik16 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

Cool is this copy sold in Denmark, Europe?

+ frylock25 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

this game will be sick. cant wait to own it. wonder if there will be a cool collectors edition

+ remanutd5 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

is Agent coming out this generation or on the ps4 ? it was announced 2 E3s ago and the only thing we know is the name ? lol

+ Butters360 on January 17th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

Awesome cover but when does it go on sale?

+ digitalman123 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

@6: January 18th.
Making my subscription better and better…

+ Alkazaar777 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

When does the magazine go on sale?

+ remanutd5 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

ohhh and 1 more thing Gary , the only thing i’ve received the past 2 months is the cover of the magazine , nothing else i have tried to file a complain on your website but i couldnt , what should i do ?

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on January 17th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

Have you tried it this way? http://bit.ly/e4Kh03 If no luck there, send an email to PTOM_Letters AT futureus DOT com. I’ll look for it and pass it along to customer service directly. (Mention the PlayStation blog, so we know it’s you.)

+ Dosx001 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

lol awesome previews LBP2, ME2, n DS2 three of a kind Sony wins

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on January 17th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

So incredible to put out a February issue with reviews of three games that all could be contenders for 2011′s very best.

+ Butters360 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:14 am said:

@7

Awesome, Tuesday really is a BIG day for PlayStation users.

+ JrXC on January 17th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

I already ordered the collectors edition of LBP2! Can’t wait. Also I preerdered ME2. This looks like it’s gonna be an amazing issue.

+ xrexx1995 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

ANY STORY SOON OF ACE COMBAT? ITS BEEN QUIET SINCE LAUNCH TRAILER.

+ Goaliegeek on January 17th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

Where’s the PS app for iPhone/iPod for the US?

+ remanutd5 on January 17th, 2011 at 11:56 am said:

thanks Gary i hope you guys look into it ASAP

+ Deak1124 on January 17th, 2011 at 1:52 pm said:

Got It, Read It, and Loved It.

I can’t wait for LA Noire. I especially love the artwork for anything Rockstar works on, because it’s always phenomenal.

The reviews for Dead Space 2, LittleBigPlanet 2, & Mass Effect 2 were great also. As of right now, I’m not a subscriber (unfortunately), but I’m certainly going to have to add this to the group of magazines I get in the mail as soon as I can afford it.

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on January 17th, 2011 at 2:10 pm said:

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you enjoyed the issue. And we love our newsstand readers as much as our subscribers, so pick it up however you want to!

+ digitalman123 on January 17th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Now if only you’d put my letter about the LBP/Uncharted mix…

+ Deak1124 on January 17th, 2011 at 2:29 pm said:

@Gary:

You’re welcome!

+ JesseHaysFL on January 17th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

Sorry to bother you but if you have a second…

I got my sub through amazon….I get my mag a month late sometimes a month and a half late…as in I get jan’s mag in Feb..

I live in Seattle, should I cancel my sub and buy at the newsstand or is it better to have the sub direct from you?

Gary Steinman's Avatar

+ Gary Steinman on January 17th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

Head to http://bit.ly/e4Kh03 and see if our online customer service can help. If so, great. If not, check @9′s reply to reach out to me directly. (But as far as I know, a sub is a sub is a sub, so we should be taking care of you either way.)

+ NinjaZeroEight on January 17th, 2011 at 8:46 pm said:

I’m way more interested in the information the magazine has about Shadows of the DAMNED.

+ Butters360 on January 17th, 2011 at 9:09 pm said:

Little easter egg for those that haven’t read the issue yet; L.A. Noire releases in March 2011!

+ JesseHaysFL on January 17th, 2011 at 10:22 pm said:

Thanks Gary, I will check ‘er out.

+ route19er on January 18th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

isn’t this a PlayStation Exclusive?

+ NinjaZeroEight on January 20th, 2011 at 1:32 am said:

I think the magazine should be available as a digital download on the PSN store. You guys should think about doing that… not many people really buy magazines these days.

+ BalramRules on January 22nd, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

i cant help but notice that the awesome reviews section of da front cover, that all occupy their second place of their trilogy
lbp 2
me 2
ds 2

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 22nd, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

I’m sure this game will be M-rated with tons of garbage in it but I think it looks cool so far!