PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Coming to PS3 Next Winter

Adrian Arnese's Avatar + Posted by Adrian Arnese on Jan 18, 2011 // Senior Brand Manager, SQUARE ENIX

Final Fantasy XIII-2
We at Square Enix are delighted to let you know that the sequel to FINAL FANTASY XIII, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, is coming next winter. We have a new story in store that stems from the previous title, a battle system that is evolved from “XIII” – and more…

We’re looking forward to sharing more details with you about this exciting new sequel in the future – in the meantime please check out the game logo and first screenshot!

Final Fantasy XIII-2

215 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ CrimsonFox13 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:34 am said:

That’s interesting and everything, but what about Versus XIII? I’m more interested in that. However, I’ll keep an eye on this as well.

+ abd4abd on January 18th, 2011 at 4:35 am said:

US Release Date ?

+ piratedrunk on January 18th, 2011 at 4:35 am said:

I am interested but I hope to see Square-Enix address the issues long-time fans had with the game such as linearity, towns, and the diversity of the gameplay.

+ BLOODTIDE on January 18th, 2011 at 4:38 am said:

Oh god no…. *yawn*

+ CSvox on January 18th, 2011 at 4:39 am said:

Oh boy, please tell me this will have less Estrogen influence than X-2 did…

+ Anddo on January 18th, 2011 at 4:39 am said:

Can’t wait.. I loved XIII. Sure it’s slow starting, but the game did enough right to make it one of my favorite FF games.

+ I3rand0 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:42 am said:

Maybe it will include towns this time? Nah, I doubt it.

+ Anddo on January 18th, 2011 at 4:43 am said:

@abd4abd- we’re looking at next March, most likely.

+ SaberBlade on January 18th, 2011 at 4:44 am said:

I hope that’s not Lightning’s offical look. It’s worse than when Yuna went from Priestess to hot pants.

I just want to know this one won’t be as linear and xbox friendly than FF13, just because they want to compromise the game and make it more convenient for disc swapping.

+ Korbei83 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:44 am said:

I think they dropped it into the White Knight Chronicles.

+ Darkpen on January 18th, 2011 at 4:47 am said:

I’m hyped for this.

@9

It is not worse than when Yuna went hotpants. And X-2 was an awesome game. The ATB system in X-2 is the best yet, and the one thing that most FF fans who dismissed X-2 will have missed out on. A unique class system with the epitome of the ATB system? Hell yeah.

That said, the sooner they show gameplay footage and the combat system, the better. Because in the end, that’s what really matters.

+ TrueFFVIIFan on January 18th, 2011 at 4:51 am said:

So, does that means Japan will get it first and we have to sit this one out between three to six months after Japan’s initial release, right? In this case, I hope not! I prefer for us to get it on the same day as JP and EU (Simultaneously Release Date!)

+ DarkRecoil on January 18th, 2011 at 4:53 am said:

Please make it also available for Digital Download on the PlayStation Store

+ nino1911 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:54 am said:

cant wait to watch it!

+ I3rand0 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:54 am said:

@12

They already confirmed this for “late Winter” in North America i.e. 2012.

Sid, you may want to throw some quotations around your post. Unless you were hired by Square-Enix within the past 48 hours of your last post.

+ that-acmilan-guy on January 18th, 2011 at 4:57 am said:

Final Fantasy XIII was my 1st FF game, I couldn’t even game more than 25 minutes without getting bored and just left it there.

+ Jii-na on January 18th, 2011 at 4:58 am said:

Damn late Winter…2012

+ n4nobust3r on January 18th, 2011 at 4:59 am said:

I am more interested in the certain PS3 exclusive XIII titles

yeah Where The Hell is Versus release date???????

for XIII-2 it must have lots of towns,full control of party,airships etc, to make me interested!

and even with above element XIII-2 will not be day one unless XIII-2 have some kind of PS3 exclusive content (maybe like DUAL VOICE OPTION and ORIGINAL JAPANESE THEME SONG)

it is hard to get hyped for XIII-2 (but versus trailer is awesome!)

+ Deathcoffin on January 18th, 2011 at 5:01 am said:

omg awesome

+ MrMortality on January 18th, 2011 at 5:03 am said:

Let me just say….. *Ahem* DAMN! LIGHTNING LOOKS AMAZING~! :)

+ Boomer495 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:04 am said:

I miss the world map, we have gone too long with out having a world map and the freedom to cruise around it!

+ saiyanknight87 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:04 am said:

When the heck is versus coming out we’ve been waiting for almost 3+ years for this game and still no release date. I have more faith in a versus game than this crap c’mon square enix show us what we really want to see.

+ xxnike629xx on January 18th, 2011 at 5:05 am said:

Let’s hope this doesn’t suck.

Oh and let’s see which game comes out first in the US…this or Versus XIII…LOL

+ Francision69 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:06 am said:

I’d like this to come out on the PSN Store.

+ mii-id on January 18th, 2011 at 5:07 am said:

I’m very skeptical about Final Fantasy for years and especially this one. FF13 did not meet my expectation and even disappointed me. Square-Enix knows how to make beautiful cinematics and hype a game with all it’s pretty images, but FF13 has lacked in dialog (English), story and the most important thing fun gameplay. I hope they learn lessons form studios like Thatgamecompany, Naughtydog, Santamonica, mediaMolecule and insomniac to make better games.

What happend to Final Fantasy Versus 13 anyway? I have high expectation for that game, since Tetsuya Nomura and his team is behind it. I hope it’s a ‘Only Possible on PS3′ game, because those are awesome! Can the PSblog cover some of that game for us? Or is it completely up to square when to show it?

+ amourissima on January 18th, 2011 at 5:10 am said:

@15

2012 for the NA release?

good god, so we have a year different with the JP release????

+ doemaaan on January 18th, 2011 at 5:11 am said:

wait a minute, this is releasing to the western market WINTER 2011?? can somebody please correct me if I’m wrong? -> and by winter, I mean late November, early December 2011<-

+ keichan2371 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:11 am said:

ok, i like this but please address one huge issue: add a bloody A.I. that works! I hate to get obliterated because my healer wont heal the one that need it, or my buffer wont buff the defender…and of course adds haste to himself lastly…and remove the bloody “if leader dies, game over” stuff. i hated it. more than the fact that u cant control all ur chars.

+ I3rand0 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:12 am said:

@24

It’s not confirmed that it’s releasing in Winter 2011 in Japan, but it’s their target date.

+ Zezzler on January 18th, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

so this is coming in Winter 2012? thats pretty cool. I hope they improve on the many shortcomings that FFXIII had (not saying it was a bad game or anything). Can’t wait to hear more.

+ mike123195 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:13 am said:

OMG I AM DEFINETLY GETTING THIS ONE IF IT TURNS OUT LIKE THE FIRST!!! I LOVED IT XD ONE OF MY FAV GAMES!!!!!!!!!!

+ wazza1989 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:17 am said:

Ok just for clarity about the lack of world map etc for FFXIII and most probably FFXIII-2, it has already been stated by Yoshinori Kitase here: http://kotaku.com/5476141/kitase-ffvii-remake-only-possible-if-it-can-be-done-in-a-year.

”If it were possible… to be able to make and prepare a Final Fantasy VII remake within a year, we’d very much like a go at it! But even Final Fantasy XIII has taken over three and a half years to create. If we were to recreate Final Fantasy VII… we’d imagine that that would take as much as three or four times longer than the three and a half years it has taken to put this Final Fantasy together…”

So this is based on a remake of FFVII, where all characters, story and events are already in place, and it only requires a technical overhaul to bring up to date. Imagine trying to make a new Final Fantasy where the story, characters and events all have to be written from scratch, on top of the cutting edge visuals.

I hope this has been helpful to those who are still pining for a return to the traditional Final fantasy formula.

+ gabehabe on January 18th, 2011 at 5:17 am said:

I enjoyed 13, but please dear god don’t follow in the footsteps of 10-2. Judging by the artwork you’ve posted it looks pretty feminine — NO MORE DRESS SPHERES. :’(

+ Argetlam350 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:17 am said:

Eh it’s going to be hard for me to get into this one. I’m a fan of the series and all but XIII just wasn’t terribly good. The story part of it was good, along with the environment and graphics but the gameplay and goal of each level was repetitive. You started at point A trying to get to point B to either beat the level, open a cutscene, a boss fight, or possibly all three. Then all the enemies that were in the way, they over did it I think. It seemed like every ten feet you had to fight some sort of enemy which just got tiresome and annoying.
Hopefully the will learn from XIII, but I’ll wait for a review before I get this game. It won’t be a day one release for me.

Also like few others here, what about FFXIII Versus. Seems like they should actually be working on that rather then this since that game still needs to come out.

+ evil23alej on January 18th, 2011 at 5:22 am said:

Could we get over 45 hours of linear game play? IT’s like double or triple the boringness cause it was fun the FIRST TIME around. Also, I doubt it’ll be dlc since I think square enix must hate digital downloads

+ evil23alej on January 18th, 2011 at 5:23 am said:

Since they haven’t released kingdom hearts yet or the Crisis core game yet

+ Link01 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:23 am said:

[DELETED] it… NO. Wasn’t the first game bad enough. I mean, this is FFX-2 all over again

+ whitwhit on January 18th, 2011 at 5:25 am said:

1. change the leader dies you die
2. bring back the world map
3. dont make the game so linear
4. diversity of gameplay
5. just make a good game is that so hard to ASK!?

+ NomadDragon on January 18th, 2011 at 5:29 am said:

Make it exactly the same as XIII, but start it at Gran Pulse. ^_^ Day 1 purchase for me.

+ letherclad on January 18th, 2011 at 5:31 am said:

Final Fantasy XIII was the worst game I have ever played and I’ve been gaming for over 20 years, it had the worst gameplay I have ever experienced and by far the worst story I have ever encountered in any form of entertainment

Final Fantasy is dead, the gaming industry should just move on and forget about it

+ SilverBlade51 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:31 am said:

This is the best year of gaming for me so far with the PS3. So MANY good games coming out. I’ll just add this one to my list. I loved the 1st one, but don’t make it so linear please.

+ wocyob on January 18th, 2011 at 5:35 am said:

oh man Lighting looks crazy

+ Americano_pa_ti on January 18th, 2011 at 5:39 am said:

Damnn can’t wait till it comes out, definetly gonna buy it.

+ Argetlam350 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:39 am said:

@33: FF Crisis Core is on PSP not PS3 and was released nearly 3 years ago.

+ Keyeszx on January 18th, 2011 at 5:39 am said:

So you’re saying you screwed me over just like gamestop did? I had to pay $80 for this game because gamestop screwed up on my preorder. The combat better be better and the leveling better be better and everything better be better. The price better be dropped. Square Enix shouldn’t be pulling this BS. Just let the failure of XIII die and give us Versus XIII. Will you guys hold this back by porting to the 360 again?

+ mjddl on January 18th, 2011 at 5:40 am said:

isn’t it still technically winter season? So when they say next winter it could be from the next winter season this year?

+ Zarxce on January 18th, 2011 at 5:40 am said:

Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy Versus XIII
Final Fantasy XIV (both PS3 and PC)
Final fantasy Type Zero (aka Agito XIII)
Final Fantasy Dissidia 012: Duodecim
Final Fantasy IV complete
There are probably others I’m unaware of….

…..don’t you think you’re overdoing it just a bit? Maybe you should focus on finishing some of these games up before announcing a new one…

But hey, I’m not complaining. I did enjoy FFXIII (I’m actually in the middle of doing a platinum trophy run right now) and will definitely pick this one up too. Lightning in…um…”armor”…looks rather unsettling though.

+ Quad_Dragon on January 18th, 2011 at 5:41 am said:

Hurry up and wait…

+ AlexeiMihalchuk on January 18th, 2011 at 5:41 am said:

I just don’t get it… [DELETED] Square?

You take the least favorite Final Fantasy game, and combine it with the name of the most hated sequel?

Yeah, quite a branding you got there. I’m sure the fans will rejoice.

You have already a lot of hype and expectations for FFvXIII. Use your time and development resources on perfecting that game instead.

+ favian on January 18th, 2011 at 5:44 am said:

I stopped playing ffxiii back in march because i was frustrated with the battle system. I picked it up again recently, and when the battle system clicked with me, i really started to enjoy the game. I’m excited about this direct sequel. the criticisms of the original game are way overblown.

PAGE 1 2 3 5