PS3-TLOU Left Behind

Final Fantasy XIII-2 Coming to PS3 Next Winter

Adrian Arnese's Avatar + Posted by Adrian Arnese on Jan 18, 2011 // Senior Brand Manager, SQUARE ENIX

Final Fantasy XIII-2
We at Square Enix are delighted to let you know that the sequel to FINAL FANTASY XIII, FINAL FANTASY XIII-2, is coming next winter. We have a new story in store that stems from the previous title, a battle system that is evolved from “XIII” – and more…

We’re looking forward to sharing more details with you about this exciting new sequel in the future – in the meantime please check out the game logo and first screenshot!

Final Fantasy XIII-2

215 Comments

+ spideyal on January 18th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

Woops, I meant to say “Can’t help but feel”.

+ zombie9 on January 18th, 2011 at 10:53 am said:

FF XIV? FF XIII versus? I’m confused.
I have bought alot of square games in the past but have yet to buy one (this gen)in over 4 years. since FF XII

+ TallCrowe on January 18th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

I didn’t have a chance to be disappointed in the last one, so I will save my disappointment for this one.

+ GooDer_gAMe on January 18th, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

Before, I kept hearing about so much content that was cut from the first game. I wondered what happened to it. Instead of making the xbox version like 8 discs long, you wanted another 60 bucks. Makes sense from a business standpoint, I guess. I was terribly disappointed in ff13, and won’t be purchasing this one.

+ station3fever on January 18th, 2011 at 11:03 am said:

@16
try ff7 you will cry like a little girl :)

+ ShaoranLi on January 18th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

Please please PLEASE don’t let it be FFX-2. I liked X-2 personally but it also came to personal disappointment. Thru-out the game, it felt like a ‘direct-to-video’ sequel. The only serious parts I could take was the beginning, when *SPOILERS* they enter the wen of doe (is that what it was called?) and maybe the ending*END OF SPOILERS*. A lot of the game had lazy animations and I doubt XIII-2 would be something like that. Still, I don’t want this to be a lacklustre sequel. On the other hand, X-2 had a crazy good battle system that made its way to being even cooler in XIII-2.

And to celebrate this event, you guys should make a NEW GAME PLUS update firmware patch for XIII!! I’d LOVE to replay this game in a easier done fashion!

+ Butters360 on January 18th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

Tetsuya Nomura confirmed that Final Fantasy Versus XIII is in fact a PS3 exclusive. I just want the trailers to be available on PSN and for some more PlayStation Blog coverage.

+ CJ_vzla on January 18th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

screenshot reminds me of VIII…and thats a good thing =D

+ KongWen on January 18th, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

Oh ****… well, at least it couldn’t be worse than FFXIII.

+ Gunblade-XP on January 18th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

Well it’s not that Square-Enix don’t make good games — They just don’t make good FF games! Or at least not to Square’s standard.

Bring World maps back, bring more open exploration back, hell – even bringing random encounters back would be an improvement.

Gameplay, battlewise they’ll probably do something slightly different again; the only problem with that is that it will most likely be bad…

+ Misoshu on January 18th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

Hopefully, Lightning won’t be a pop-star and the game won’t start out with a concert. I agree that it would be neat if there will be towns and free roaming.

Oh and Squeenix…I’m dying for some FF Versus XIII news. Please?!

+ Misoshu on January 18th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

ShaoranLi: It is called Den of Woe.

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on January 18th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

Cool…

now give us FF avatars and the Sephiroth costume for LBP!

+ solo013 on January 18th, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

I can’t wait for this. I loved FF13, but do agree it wasn’t as good as the other recent FFs.

+ Destiny89 on January 18th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

amazing news! thanks Square!

+ Airwalkinman17 on January 18th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

gosh… i should be excited, but I’m not.
final fantasy lost all value to me after the last title.
we all know its shortcomings. Yeah, the battle system was good, yet mostly mindless. change up paradigms etc. was the only strategy to it.
I’ll wait for a review and see what issues they fix, if any, before even considering buying it.
btw! currently playing ffIX and its amazing!

+ mappyman on January 18th, 2011 at 12:27 pm said:

I was seriously on the verge of trading in my copy of FFXIII when I heard this. Now the idea of Vanille and alternate costumes sends my heart a flutter~

+ BlooodyCow on January 18th, 2011 at 12:58 pm said:

Know one thing for sure. Looking at this and comparing it to the VS XIII trailer shows just how much better the game will look as a PS3 exclusive. Expect another dumb down S-E game because of the limitation of the other system.

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on January 18th, 2011 at 1:02 pm said:

@Mappyman

“Now the idea of Vanille and alternate costumes sends my heart a flutter”

Did you finish the game?

+ iTofuMan on January 18th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

While i did enjoy FF13, and this great news. where is Versus? its very bad (in my opinion) to keep fans hanging. you advertise a game, and youll keep us wanting more/waiting. Sooner or later people arent going to be wanting because they are sick of waiting.

If this is the case wouldnt this mean this game was in production for awhile now? i mean i would assume people are working on this game, and that production on Versus is either low, or scraped to make this game.

+ Ethereal on January 18th, 2011 at 1:07 pm said:

Absolutely loved FFXIII….very excited about the news! Don’t listen to all the haters.

+ Destiny89 on January 18th, 2011 at 1:26 pm said:

Very excited i am

+ eL_daYa on January 18th, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

unless they change the battle system which was the doom of 13 they 13-2 will be the same story all over again.

+ MarinoBrea on January 18th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

Go sell your crap to the Xbox 360, alone. Make it 360 exclusive, we don’t care. What is this? you took everything you cut from XIII (so it could fit on the 360) and now you are making a sequel out of it? no thank you. Sell it as DLC for XIII $20 or something, if anything. This is the first time since the NES that I WON’T play a Final Fantasy game.

Actually, my first games on PSone and PS2 were Final Fantasy games! Not this time, you guys at Square-Enix are so blind by this “westernization” you alienate all of us real fans who made your RPGs a hit on this side of the world. Now you want to grab the shooter lovers, and people who can’t appreciate beautiful old-school Role-Playing these gamers from this new-era (outside Japan) who WON’T BUY OR ENJOY YOUR GAME NOT MATTER HOW MUCH “WESTERN” YOU TRY TO MAKE IT.

Wake up already! Japan is lost trying to be “western”. Do your best, but stay focused on what makes a game great. You guys knew all about that, you created it! Videogames were nothing until you got into it! Now you think you need to imitate the “western style” to sell? Screw that!

+ DNAgent on January 18th, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

Why even bother? FF13 was garbage and this will be nothing but content that was cut from the first game thanks to it going multiplatform. People who buy this are essentially buying the same game twice. Just cancel it and release FF Versus XIII instead.

+ gillettjoe on January 18th, 2011 at 2:08 pm said:

Have been playing FF games since the early 90′s. Massive fan. But this may very well be the first game I refuse to play… and I even bought X-2 for goodness sake.

Please, kick Enix out of your office and start making the games that people want you to make. Don’t spend 100 hours making a bunch of rocks look pretty, we don’t need mind blowing graphics! we want strategic gameplay and an immersive storyline, you know, like a final fantasy game (the successful ones).

I’ve spent more time playing FF7/FF8/FF9 PS Classics on my PS3 than most of my PS3 games!

+ Elvick_ on January 18th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

@130; Evolving implies that things get better and improve. Taking away things and making the only aspects the game does have worse than previous entries is not evolving. It’s taking the series back, making it [imo] worse than it’s ever been before.

Sure the graphics are fantastic, but there’s zero substance to be found in the mess that is Final Fantasy XIII. I’d take FFXII graphics in HD for some freedom, exploration, some side quests, some towns, some NPCs worth talking to… things that made FF something worth playing.

And to do without the terrible English dubs… and adding in random tracks from a popular artists’ album. FFXIII-2 will probably get a Justin Bieber song plucked from his next album and shoved in there.

+ Zee_009 on January 18th, 2011 at 2:17 pm said:

Versus plz? Whatever still good news and i just got ff 13 so it’s all good

+ arkard1000 on January 18th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

FFXIII was just a PAIN, awesome graphics but boring gameplay.

I miss those times when i was playing FF 7 and FF8 as a great RPG games.

nowadays technology can make a kick ass graphics but i don´t know what is happening to those companies that forgot that line between entertainment and boredom.

same thing with GT5, just promises for years and you can´t see a real work when you got disappointed with the release. maybe it´s some strange japanse season of making bad things.

good luck everybody!

+ Rbrtchng on January 18th, 2011 at 2:25 pm said:

I hope, but also doubt, that this is an exclusive so that the dev team won’t get diluted even more.

But everybody knows that when SE says “next Winter”, it won’t be “next winter”.

+ Detective-E on January 18th, 2011 at 2:35 pm said:

I think you’d applause vXIII more since you know, exclusive.

+ Hradekal on January 18th, 2011 at 2:37 pm said:

Hey SE, has your head been in the sand? We don’t want this crap. If you insist on giving us more of some garbage that you already made, why don’t you remake Final Fantasy VII? We all know you have no talent left to make anything nearly as groundbreaking on the current systems, so you might as well suck it up and admit it.

+ NotoriousGamer on January 18th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

exclusive to ps3 or not?

+ D-Squad3 on January 18th, 2011 at 3:27 pm said:

Wait 2011 or 2012? I’m confused.

+ Destiny89 on January 18th, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

@182

2011 for Japan and 2012 for the rest of the world

+ OnslaughtCometh on January 18th, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

I couldn’t even play an hour of XIII due to the battle system consisting of “press x repeatedly”.

+ MadMeat001 on January 18th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

It’s on xbox 360? that’s a bad sign for the game :S

+ phinnv8 on January 18th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

It’s funny the last time this was mentioned at E3 it was “Still a PlayStation 3 exclusive” and now it’s not.

That been said this is still good news, here is to hoping it’s less linear and there are actually TOWNS. I still beat and enjoyed FF-XIII though, I know I’m one of the few.

+ KainDrake on January 18th, 2011 at 6:13 pm said:

I’m really looking forward to this.

+ Astroranagun on January 18th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

of course this game will be release before versus XIII. why? because those 40% contents that were cut out from the XIII to fit into xbox. Those 40% contents are enough to fit for a new game thus this XIII-2 come out.

You need to be smart to think and do you research homework enough to find out whats true and lies.

+ LordRaymond on January 18th, 2011 at 7:51 pm said:

Yes must get this Day One! But the picture makes this seem like a whole different game though.

+ xathnan on January 18th, 2011 at 8:22 pm said:

oh square enix please listen please to the fans. dont get me wrong but its been a while since you have let a good rpg with a good battle system. the story to ff13 was alright but to fast. Never put a level cap in your games worst idea i have ever seen in a final fantasy game. bring back the back stories to the main characters its a good way to introduce new areas quests and enemies. dont fear the turn based battle system that’s what final fantasy is known for. you can make this game good just bring back what made final fantasy one of the worlds infamous rpg games.

+ SkullLeader81 on January 18th, 2011 at 10:26 pm said:

So excited for this and Versus, loved XIII once I sat down and actually played it, glad to see them continuing the story as I loved the ending and was sad to see it end.

+ the_idoru on January 18th, 2011 at 11:15 pm said:

Alright! I love FF xiii and I can’t wait to go back to it. I kept my “hope” up for some kind of dlc, but then like “lightning” this gets announced. ^_^ Thanks square-enix.

+ pal2002 on January 19th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

I don’t get why people are so negative about X-2, sure it had more estrogen than necessary for me but it was actually a pretty successful game. It sold enough copies to be commercially viable and it holds stellar ratings (9.5 from IGN, better than what XIII got..). I have high hopes that it will another success. And also from happened at the end of X-2, this spells great news for 2 of the XIII characters.

+ CeroDouble on January 19th, 2011 at 2:27 am said:

Great!!! is not like we totally care about versus 13 or kingdom hearts 3, this is what we actually want, a horrible, linear, deprived-of-RPG-elements RPG title.

+ backhawk124 on January 19th, 2011 at 6:25 am said:

Ok, somewhat good news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!But that is not what I need(still want). When is Versus 13 coming???????????? I can’t cling in life without that.

+ DMiEN_bLinDwAR on January 19th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

Considering it’s not a “new ” final fantasy as opposed to FF Versus or FF XIV, will FF XIII-2 be a digital add-on to FF XIII or hard disc only?

+ codename_W on January 19th, 2011 at 4:08 pm said:

XIII was an amazing game and I´m looking forward to this, but, is this a direct sequel or a spin-off ?.

+ zachattackary on January 19th, 2011 at 9:09 pm said:

@ 11 No! FFX-2 was disasterriffic.