PS4-Watch_Dogs

Killzone 3 Multiplayer Open Beta Coming to PSN on February 2nd

TJ Consunji's Avatar + Posted by TJ Consunji on Jan 21, 2011 // Product Marketing Manager

Update: The Killzone 3 multiplayer open beta will be launching on Thursday, February 3 at 10:00 a.m. PST. View more details on the beta and how you can win a Killzone 3 Limited Helghast Edition here.

Killzone 3 multiplayer open beta

Hello PlayStation Nation! Killzone 3 launch is now just 30 short days away, but for those of you who just can’t stand to wait any longer, we’ve got some good news: The Killzone 3 Multiplayer Open Beta will be available for download on the PlayStation Network on Wednesday, February 2nd.

This Open Beta will be available for free to all North American PS3 users and will run from Feb 2nd-14th, giving you the perfect chance to get hands-on with Killzone 3′s brutal online warfare and try out the revamped precision controls. You will also have the option to play using the PlayStation Move and stereoscopic 3D.

The Open Beta will offers exclusive early access to the MP05 ‘Frozen Dam’ multiplayer level from Killzone 3, including all three online multiplayer modes: Guerrilla Warfare, Warzone and Operations, along with the offline multiplayer mode, Botzone.

“Frozen Dam” is a sprawling asymmetrical map set in an old dam facility, the playing field in MP05 has been carefully tailored to fit each of the multiplayer modes. Here are the four multiplayer modes included with the Open Beta:

Killzone 3 multiplayer open beta

Guerrilla Warfare (16 players)
Guerrilla Warfare is a standalone multiplayer mode similar to classic Team Deathmatch: You and your teammates must try to kill as many of the opposing team as you can before the timer runs out. In this mode, only the downstream monitor houses and repair bay are accessible, giving the map a very frantic pace.

Warzone (24 players)
If you’ve played Killzone 2, you may already be familiar with Warzone. It’s a round-based multiplayer campaign that consists of five randomly ordered mini-missions. In this mode, the power house and penstocks directly under the dam are accessible as well, so there’s more room to come up with different strategies and approaches to your goal.

Operations (16 players)
Operations is a new multiplayer campaign which aims to deliver a more cinematic, story-based gameplay experience, similar to that of Killzone 3′s single-player mode. It consists of a sequence of linear mini-missions, in which the ISA must try to secure the docks and destroy the dam, while the Helghast must try to protect the dam facility.

Botzone (one player and up to 15 bots)
Botzone is an offline multiplayer mode ideal for those looking to get to grips with the controls, the weapons or the map layout before going up against live players. Each of the aforementioned multiplayer modes can be played offline, against CPU-controlled opponents.

And of course, the open beta is just a taste of what you’ll get in Killzone 3′s multiplayer experience. For more details on Killzone 3′s multiplayer maps, check out the full briefing on Killzone.com.

We’ll unveil more details on the Killzone 3 Multiplayer Open Beta soon (along with some other surprises). So stay tuned!

+ Aromaci on January 21st, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

How can you have a Beta to a game that has already gone Gold?

+ Mobstylez on January 21st, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

Great news.

+ ZososoZ on January 21st, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

Oh so the PS+ Beta is not compatible with this then?
What about the unlock from the PS+ beta, is that still useable?

+ footballrule on January 21st, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

You rock GG! So happy to see an Open Beta for ALL PSN members!! :D

+ ZososoZ on January 21st, 2011 at 4:18 pm said:

Sorry let me rephrase:
Whatever we unlocked in the old PS+ Beta (like the save file I have) would that be compatible with this Open Online Demo?

+ Velzorn on January 21st, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

I have the Helghast edition pre-ordered and I cannot wait for Killzone 3! The beta will make the wait a little less unbearable.

+ willywonkaMusic1 on January 21st, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

zo looking forward to this

+ GRIM__REAFER on January 21st, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

All Betas should open near the end, I was not planning on getting this game even if it had Socom 4 beta. However, playing the beta could change my mind. Nice move.

+ dehumanizer_666 on January 21st, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

Will I need to download the beta again even if I still have it on my HDD?

+ supvic on January 21st, 2011 at 4:47 pm said:

Will this EVER have splitscreen?! KZ1 was AWESOME in splitscreen. Make the graphics simplified in splitscreen if you have to, just MAKE IT HAPPEN!

+ WU-Tang4Ever on January 21st, 2011 at 4:53 pm said:

As a suggestion, I was wondering if you guys can add split screen to the bot mode. Theres not many games that have that option. I do love that Guerilla games has brought split screen campaign to the series. Now I’m hoping they bring back split screen with bots! Thats what I enjoyed from the first Killzone. THanks!

+ Tredogg14TK on January 21st, 2011 at 5:13 pm said:

So no more 32 player combat? Man i love those large scale wars but nevertheless I will still enjoy the war!

+ vza004 on January 21st, 2011 at 5:21 pm said:

This is one of the many good news that PSN has brought us. This will be my first Killzone experience.

+ NEJI64 on January 21st, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

@89 They did say what it is… “OPEN BETA”

+ EggySong85 on January 21st, 2011 at 6:18 pm said:

Great, how will I explain it to my girlfriend when I forget to buy her a valentines day gift because of this?! -_-;

+ Butters360 on January 21st, 2011 at 6:43 pm said:

My 46′ 3D Sony BRAVIA is begging for this. Lots of Sony momentum is riding on this success for 3D gaming.

+ watsuke on January 21st, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

Have you corrected the issues with ID’s being blocked? When i tried to play the beta i got blocked due to my PSN ID be obligatory or something. If i still cant play online ill be sure to buy this used, i think its wrong for you guys to block people for such a reason.

+ SHINSPIKES on January 21st, 2011 at 10:13 pm said:

You guys wrote “revamped precision controls”. Does that mean yah slowed down the aim when lookin down your sights? I hated how it was faster in the beta. Its supposed to be slow, for precision aim. I understand some people might like it, and that its supposed to be fast for Move’s purpose. So, yah should make it adjustable for everyone. Make everyone happy.

+ DNAgent on January 22nd, 2011 at 12:07 am said:

I’ll stick to Killzone 2. Killzone 3 feels too much like a CoD clone now not to mention server lists got taken away in favor of a terrible matchmaking system thanks to the casuals.

+ ShadowPhoenix18 on January 22nd, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

The Botzone definitely piqued my otherwise passing interest. I’m not much of a multiplayer gamer, but I would’ve downloaded it anyway just to see the visual effects. Now, I can actually expect to navigate the map without having to respawn every 10 seconds! Good stuff.

+ Logan22 on January 22nd, 2011 at 2:00 am said:

My only question is whether you can rack up points even in Botzone. Can anyone confirm or deny this from any of the other Betas? It would be nice to be able to upgrade your multiplayer points by killing easier AI similar to Tron Evolution.

+ anees1213 on January 22nd, 2011 at 3:45 am said:

hey for europe users…can we also use the move

+ k1ngsnak3 on January 22nd, 2011 at 5:03 am said:

Epic news for this snowy Saturday morning…can’t wait!

+ HyppieKiller on January 22nd, 2011 at 7:03 am said:

Omg!!

+ jdz81 on January 22nd, 2011 at 7:28 am said:

how do you get the beta?

+ packetjoe on January 22nd, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

I enjoyed Kill Zone 2 and I’m sure Kill Zone will be as good or better I can’t wait thanks

+ packetjoe on January 22nd, 2011 at 9:00 am said:

I enjoyed Kill Zone 2 and I’m sure Kill Zone 3 will be as good or better I can’t wait thanks

+ TheGuardianFID on January 22nd, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Freaking Awesome, thank you!!! 8)

+ attikid on January 22nd, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

Wow, I can’t believe how much is included in this beta. And it supports 3d and psMove! Can’t wait to play this!

+ kendrick989 on January 22nd, 2011 at 9:53 am said:

cant effin wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ ceedub2 on January 22nd, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

I see the release date as Feb 2nd but on KZ.com its stated as Feb 3rd? Is that for EU. I live in the US

+ SuperTiso on January 22nd, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

How can you have a beta when the game has gone gold?

+ TnTdYnOsAuR on January 22nd, 2011 at 1:08 pm said:

will it be free?

+ evilmonkey501 on January 22nd, 2011 at 1:37 pm said:

Since this game has already gone gold, I believe it would be a demo rather than a beta.Am I wrong? Or is this just a server stress test? lol:) sign me up anyhow!!

+ Terminator101 on January 22nd, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

Any chance of Bot Zone having split screen in the full game? That was one thing that made Killzone 1 lot of fun for me.

+ ratspowa on January 22nd, 2011 at 4:04 pm said:

Cmon and the europeans ?!?! -.-”

+ theultimatenub on January 22nd, 2011 at 4:11 pm said:

this is sooo awesome ive already got killzone 3 helghast edition preordered

+ Benmo316 on January 22nd, 2011 at 5:04 pm said:

It just seem weird that it’s coming out on Feb 2, which is a Wednesday, but whatever, can’t wait!

+ Jokerjk on January 22nd, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

BIG question, I don’t know if this was asked. Can u get exp from the Bot mode? :D

+ Hooligantuan on January 22nd, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

Kinda low player counts in those matches. I’ll hit up the Beta, but I think I prefer the scale of MAG.

+ Kraiden4 on January 23rd, 2011 at 7:39 am said:

Finally Awesome little fun before the game come out

+ diegogt97 on January 23rd, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

what about australia, mexico and south america.
The open beta wont available for us?

I will buy the game anyway just answer please.

+ DjGoldenGorilla on January 23rd, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

Hey Guys, does anybody know how big the installer is? My PS3 is the 20Gb version, I got to make space.

+ LeGenDaRy_aZe on January 23rd, 2011 at 4:02 pm said:

AWESOME!

+ pearldrums on January 23rd, 2011 at 9:15 pm said:

Sweet!!! Glad I bought my New 3D TV yesterday.

+ TM1619 on January 24th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

THANK YOU! This is just what I wanted.

+ Kelticw12 on January 25th, 2011 at 11:18 am said:

So when you say all of North America is included, that would mean Canada as well correct?

+ Maluraq on January 27th, 2011 at 10:51 am said:

@seshat try out Warhawk. It has up to four local player online multiplayer as well.

Its not in the same style as KZ or Resistance but its a lot of fun, especially with four people on a couch on opposing sides of an online battle.

+ ItsJoseph22 on January 31st, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

Im hoping they dont leave Canada out again xD

+ Death1515 on January 31st, 2011 at 11:16 am said:

i love it but how do i get it do i go to the store or what