PS4 - Destiny

More Avatar Options Coming to PlayStation Network Tomorrow

Ro Hernandez's Avatar + Posted by Ro Hernandez on Jan 24, 2011 // Digital Distribution Manager, Sony Network Entertainment

Thirsting for more PSN Avatar options? We hear you! With tomorrow’s PlayStation Store publish, we’ll be unleashing a flood of new avatars for Tron: Evolution, Hoard, Grand Theft Auto IV, Red Dead Redemption, and Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood. Check them out below and be sure to pick up your favorites in the PlayStation Store tomorrow!

PSN Avatar mosiac

200 Comments   1 Reply

+ whitwhit on January 24th, 2011 at 6:31 pm said:

Comment 13 FTW!

+ Mobius_124 on January 24th, 2011 at 6:33 pm said:

Awesome, GTAIV/RDR avatars. it would be cool if we get MGS avatars.

+ saiyanknight87 on January 24th, 2011 at 6:41 pm said:

I just want Xenogears that’s all that would want right now the game released with avatars that would more than awesome for real.

+ ForgiveMyAim on January 24th, 2011 at 6:43 pm said:

hurray 4 jessica chobot avatars

+ DNAgent on January 24th, 2011 at 6:43 pm said:

Is Explodemon Avatars coming out tomorrow? They’re already out in Europe and I heard that they would be released on the 25th yet this post doesn’t mention them.

+ JLP_M on January 24th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

Don’t think these are free

+ KNRasengan on January 24th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

Cool, but I rather want more random avatars like the ones preloaded on the PS3. Or have the ability to make yourself avatars and it could just be screened to see if it’s “appropriate”.

+ finaler on January 24th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

Lame. Just let us upload and use our own avatars….

+ yallta on January 24th, 2011 at 6:46 pm said:

where would i go to report a playstation blog bug

+ KoRnFlaw on January 24th, 2011 at 6:48 pm said:

Man I really want an infected Nathan Hale avatar.

+ Zezzler on January 24th, 2011 at 6:50 pm said:

Nice! I hope this trend continues! I would LOVE to see some Mass Effect ones (maybe N7, Cerberus logo, etc), some MGS ones (Peace Walker logo, the old foxhound logo, etc.), Final Fantasy ones (too many ideas to list off), and many more! I`m glad to see these, and hope that you guys at which ever department at SCEA pursue more companies to jump onboard the avatar train :D

+ ckpotc on January 24th, 2011 at 6:51 pm said:

Thank You!!! I’ve been wanting Assassin’s Creed avatars! I’ll be buying most of these tomorrow. Please make some Killzone & God of War ones.

+ John1192 on January 24th, 2011 at 6:52 pm said:

I’m definitely getting those ACB avatars tomorrow

+ Butters360 on January 24th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

Hell Yes.

+ Sir_Vague on January 24th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

Here’s an idea; why not let PS+ members make their own avatars (after being deemed appropriate) and Sony charge for animated avatars? Buying tiny (still) pictures is a little ridiculous.

+ ZAANOS on January 24th, 2011 at 7:03 pm said:

I had submitted an idea requesting these Rockstar Avatars via Blog.Share that didn’t get accepted…I see why now. I had also requested avatars from their previous games hope to see those at some point.

Rockstar rules!

<3 from East Los Santos

+ Brameriz on January 24th, 2011 at 7:05 pm said:

I really would like dyamanic Avatars I mean you all have done it with themes can u make Avatars move also ?#TeamBON

+ Marlon1217 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

already got my heavy rain one.

+ SlashZaku on January 24th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

Should really roll these out weekly/more often and cover more titles (instead of just the big ones). Lot of Avatars to add.

Also on the matter of Avatars, how about the option/ability to purchase them from the PSP Store or the Media Go Store? We can change them on the former but can’t purchase them which is a bummer.

+ so-knee on January 24th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

Since I bought Mass Effect 2 off the PSN and it took a chunk of my hard drive space, it would be nice to be able to pick up a matching Mass Effect 2 avatar to remind me how cool PSN has become.

+ valley428 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

Im quite happy with my avatar right now HAHA! good to see new avatars. I can’t believe that when someones given free stuff, they complain that they aren’t given what they wanted (#48, #46…)

+ Link01 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:17 pm said:

I love you guys, you should do stuff like this more often! Are any for PS+?

+ Chaoticblaze27 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:18 pm said:

Can’t Wait To Get Some AC brotherhood Avatars

+ DZORMAGEN on January 24th, 2011 at 7:23 pm said:

This is great, I would love to see NBA, NFL, MLB, and NHL team avatars next please!!

+ JLP_M on January 24th, 2011 at 7:27 pm said:

at 72, seriously lets get some NBA avatars!

+ PatriotEyez27 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:29 pm said:

Are these free or premium?

+ iTofuMan on January 24th, 2011 at 7:30 pm said:

This is great! i know people keep asking for them. honestly though i dont really understand having more than 1. i mean unless you like all the franchises then its cool. im glad to see some Rival School ones (hopefully we can get the ps1 classic up on psn?) i mean ill probably buy some if there were from Resident Evil Outbreak!

+ JamesL007 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

They look good, free or not I know I will be picking up a few new ones at last!!

Great job and can’t wait for them!

+ dkbatman06 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:36 pm said:

Needs more Batman and Final Fantasy XIII.

+ Lasani on January 24th, 2011 at 7:38 pm said:

Epic!!!!

+ Lasani on January 24th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

Are they coming to PSN Malaysia ?

+ NeonReaver on January 24th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

I remember when avatars used to be free to get. I remember when some Sony worker on this very blog said that both pay and FREE ones would be coming to the PSN in the future. That was over a year ago and there have been free ones released no doubt, but of course in typical fashion they are really crappy and nobody wants them anyway. Time to dust off an old internet catchphrase, but this is straight up nickel and diming.

+ BlindMango on January 24th, 2011 at 7:39 pm said:

Yes! Niko, Ezio & BRUCIE all in one day! Awesome!

+ Fredendil on January 24th, 2011 at 7:40 pm said:

If they’re not free, i’m not interested. Thanks tho.

+ Stoffinator on January 24th, 2011 at 7:41 pm said:

Any chance for some Mass Effect 2 avatars?

+ Garconis on January 24th, 2011 at 7:43 pm said:

You call that a flood of avatars? It’s barely a sprinkle. Get with it! GTA4 icons, so late into the game (no pun intended). I have always been surprised at the lack of avatar options for the PSN. Especially ones that are available outside of the PS Store.

+ eyesofreality03 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:43 pm said:

about time we got some avatars with some attitude, other than the current old schoolers and certain reward member avatars. will be picking up these as soon as posted.

+ Fredendil on January 24th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

@13: Paying for a 32×32 (or so) picture? Are you serious? Even if it was 1 cent, i still wouldn’t pay to get one tiny picture… geez…

+ eyesofreality03 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:45 pm said:

when can we make our own avatars/ that would be worth the cost of plus membership, along with the freebies too of course.

+ D-Squad3 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:50 pm said:

Weak, how about avatars from tv shows?

+ Clockwerk322 on January 24th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

I want some Killzone and Mass Effect avatars…

Colonel Radec, Liara T’Soni, & Garrus Vakarian for the win!!! Although I might get John Marston…:D

+ D1crzydzzy on January 24th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

how about option for us to make up our own avatars? via either ps3 camera or any photos on file?

+ tampaBAY on January 24th, 2011 at 8:02 pm said:

When will sport team logos be added as avatars?

+ hush404 on January 24th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

When I read options… I thought something new was in store… something like being able to snap a shot of your PSHome avatar and using that as an avatar… would that be THAT difficult?

+ neuropunk on January 24th, 2011 at 8:14 pm said:

DEMON’S SOULS AVATARS, NAO!

+ EmoSpray on January 24th, 2011 at 8:15 pm said:

yesss

+ megamixer on January 24th, 2011 at 8:18 pm said:

Must be a slow week for something as meaningless as avatars to get their own blog post. :|

+ CaptainKhronic on January 24th, 2011 at 8:23 pm said:

These are decent and all but… too little, too late! Avatars have got to be the easiest things to add to the PS Store! It’s a tiny motionless picture [DELETED] it!

Still waiting on MGS, Killzone and sports logo avatars Sony. And where’s the love for Isaac Clarke and his gang of lovable necromorphs? Those would make for some pretty [DELETED] avatars.

+ Trixzter7 on January 24th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

Also, where’s the Kingdom Hearts and God of War avatars?
We need those!

+ Ratchet426 on January 24th, 2011 at 8:33 pm said:

“Premium” avatars. Seriously? Sony still thinks its OK to charge $ for a 64×64 JPEG file? [DELETED]? I don’t care if they cost 5 cents, its ludicrous to charge for a what amounts to a no-frills AIM buddy icon.

And it really took this long to produce a handful of mediocre JPEGs from games that are over a year old?

This whole avatar thing is baffling to me. It’s like Sony’s actually got *developers* toiling away to make a 2k image file? Why not just stipulate that all games submitted for approval to Sony’s game division also come with at least 6 free avatars. That way *every* game has a least a small set of avatars available for free day one. Problem solved.

p.s. For a nominal fee I will gladly provide Sony’s highly paid ‘visionaries’ with basic common sense tidbits like the above on a regular basis. No sense them hurting themselves trying to put together rational thoughts *and* tie their shoes all by themselves.