GTAV PS4

Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jan 26, 2011 // President & CEO

PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

Next Generation Portable

Next Generation Portable: FrontNext Generation Portable: Rear

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

Next Generation Portable

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.

Thanks,
Jack Tretton

334 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 7

+ IGLOO05 on January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Love the Playstation symbols across the touch panel on the back!

+ Punk_JUNKY1989 on January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

@ 11 I couldn’t have said it better myself :)

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Cross platform play between PS3 and NGP pleassseeeeee.

PS2 games on PSN pleassseeee

+ Ethereal on January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Wow. I am sold. Can’t believe the titles will be on par with PS3, and with trophies now I wont have a life at all.

+ jelly_bean on January 26th, 2011 at 11:59 pm said:

Excellent… Everything I wished for… Touch screen, dual analog and PS3 graphics… Hope the price to be around US$ 199,99 though!!!

+ DarkUkame on January 27th, 2011 at 12:00 am said:

looks epic!!

+ Otakuguy77 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:00 am said:

Please Sony, the only reason this could fail is price.

+ And89LB on January 27th, 2011 at 12:00 am said:

what was the release date?
did they say holiday season?
can’t wait til E3 the price will definitely be announced than

+ XKILLER44 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:01 am said:

Awesome

+ leoncito80 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

I long for have this system, is nice and cool ;)

+ Ethereal on January 27th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

All I ask is that it is PSN powered. By which we log in using our current PSN ID and can see friends list and such! E3 here I come!

+ Moonglare on January 27th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

I’m….speechless >.<

+ remanutd5 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

where can i pre order NGP ? i want it now !!!!!!!

+ SlashZaku on January 27th, 2011 at 12:02 am said:

How is the 3G going to work? Paid or what? And ideally, getting this in the $250-300 range would be best.

+ Benstamania on January 27th, 2011 at 12:03 am said:

Awesome. Look Jack, I think Sony is a great company and the PS3 does do everything but PLEASE price this right. You see the backlash Nintendo is getting due to the 3DS pricing. I know this thing is a power house and could easily be worth 499 but if you have to take a loss and sell it for 300 or even 250… do it!

Excellent news though, I really like the looks of it.

+ alok893 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:03 am said:

PSP2 with Uncharted and Yakuza and MGS!
I’m sold!
Playstation Forever!

+ ProjectInfiniti on January 27th, 2011 at 12:04 am said:

I bet it won’t look like that near final and will cost about $400-$500.

PlayStation 3 with 2 HDMI ports, dual ethernet compared to now anyone?

+ northen_cail_209 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:04 am said:

u guys are the best, must buy it now

+ Budapesti on January 27th, 2011 at 12:05 am said:

Dear Jack,
I’m sure you’re jetlagged and exhausted after the flight to Japan and everything, so this is an excusable oversight…but you forgot to mention the price.
I know this was merely an accident and I’m sure it will be corrected immediately, because I’m certain you’re going to read this post before retiring to bed and/or hitting the karaoke bars.
Cheers,
everyone.

+ ZAANOS on January 27th, 2011 at 12:05 am said:

Amazing stuff SONY, bravo on the community focus that is what gaming is missing these days! Huge thanks for that! Twitter is blowing up with positive reactions.

+ akubahni on January 27th, 2011 at 12:06 am said:

so is there gonna be like a newer/improve version plan for NGP in the future? for instance like PSP there is model 1000, 2000 & 3000

+ Frostquake on January 27th, 2011 at 12:07 am said:

PRICE PRICE PRICE ????

Day One Purchase for me…

Concerns
1. Since it is no Stylus, keep all Sticky Fingers with Grape Jelly on them, away from the front and Rear Touch Screens!

2. The wife uses the DSi, and it gets too heavy for her to hold and lays it down and plays it on a Lap Desk! With “NGP” you won’t be able to set it down if you need to access the rear touch screen…Though I am sure you will be able to control the good old fashioned way with the Analog Sticks???

This ROCKS…Call Of Duty will Send many over the top..and the Graphics at the Show were impressive. Wondering what Epic was doing there, other than showing games running on its engine? Could be a Gears of 3 on “NGP”???

Can’t wait to get one..

+ Keeng on January 27th, 2011 at 12:09 am said:

I…I just don’t have words for this. If it’s under $400, I’m buying it day one. This is by far the single most technologically advanced–well…anything that I’ve ever seen.

+ NotoriousGamer on January 27th, 2011 at 12:09 am said:

Good job Sony. Just make sure it has very strong security features against hackers. Please add 3D.

+ HongoXIII on January 27th, 2011 at 12:09 am said:

Excellent SCEI. Excellent.

+ Wolf26pack on January 27th, 2011 at 12:10 am said:

Hey Jack,

I love me the tech, and I’m sure it will be worth every penny. I’m going to guess a price of about $299.99 and while that’s pricey if I have the money I just might bite. The one thing I hope this thing doesn’t skimp on is RAM, both the PS3 & PSP were powerful systems, but the RAM was holding them back. In a day & age where PC’s come with a standard minimum of 4GB of RAM I would sure hope that this thing will come with a minimum of 1GB of RAM so developers can really have at it, also so if it has a browser like I’m sure it will, we won’t run into anymore page loading problems.

It surely is going to be interesting seeing where this all goes and I can’t wait to see it, hopefully I’ll be able to make it to this years E3 like last year so I can see the NGP in person and maybe try it out myself.I was only able to make it to E3 last year Thanks to you guys at Sony with the E3 meet up.

Hopefully if I do make it I’ll be able to Thank You in Person.

Best of Luck
Wolf26pack

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on January 27th, 2011 at 12:11 am said:

YES they did it RIGHT!!!!!!

just say the price so i know how much i need to save

OMG i am literally shivering. AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH

+ JJAY_1986 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:13 am said:

design looks sick, good job sony..

+ BlazeKush420 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

Now its time to get a PSP. 2 joysticks so you have been listing sony.
Now give me a Date when its coming out and how much. Thats all I need to know.

+ eyesofreality03 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

I want this now… on another note this thing is gonna rock the industry, hopefully the price won’t kill the vibe and until E3, we’ll just be waitin in screen/video heaven lol.

+ Shadow_Raskolnik on January 27th, 2011 at 12:14 am said:

Nice, I’m very excited about this new device, but I have one question.

Is there going to be any information regarding backwards compatibility between this and the PSP? Will there be something like an adapter or converter that we can use to transfer UMD games onto the NGP?

If you answer my questions it would be a great help and could probably also influence others like me into deciding whether or not to purchase this system.

Thanks and I hope to hear more about this system in the future.

+ ZAANOS on January 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

The bitter social gamers that love Angry birds are being ignorant, saying they want Angry Birds not MGS4. BWAHAHAH. :D

+ dimdim83 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

this is going to be so far ahead of the competition, I can’t even begin to think of the possibilities. Sony did it again

+ pitythefool852 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

Dear Mr Tretton,

Thanks for your great post, but all I need is a price and a link to pre-order this baby :)

It looks amazing!

Sony are really pulling out all the stops, and the PlayStation Android cross-platform availability is so brave of Sony, and could be a game-changer. I’m really impressed

+ evildude683 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

As long as the price doesn’t exceed the $250 dll mark I’ll be Ok.

+ angelspawn77 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:15 am said:

awesome stuff, but will the videos of the games that were shown in the conference be available soon, by soon I mean this week, preferably tomorrow :) well technically today, haha. Also any videos showing off the device and its features?

+ ts23245 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

bricks everywhere

+ kiluakun on January 27th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

please, come and take my money!!! *O*

+ WoolySpud on January 27th, 2011 at 12:16 am said:

So Much Information! Awesome! Definitely a must have. Questions that remain for me though are

Does it have any internal storage?
Does it have BlueTooth?
Battery life?
Memory stick Storage at all? I would like to still be able to use my ‘MS Duos’.

Of course i’m sure these will be answered over the course of the year, E3 isn’t too far off after all.

My one concern though is cost…

With all the awesome features and details announced today, the system seems like it will be costly. ESPECIALLY with the inclusion of 3G… You look at the iPad models and the difference in cost for one with 3G and the same one without is $130. And thats Data only 3G (which we know the NGP will be.

+ Wolf26pack on January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

P.S Just to get this out there on the firmware update that may turn into a battle please give this short plea a read.

Thanks in Advance
Wolf26pack

P.P.S I mean what I say in the most respectful of ways, so I hope you can understand where I am coming from. If you choose to respond it would be appreciated but any positive action that comes from you guys is so much more appreciated. ;-)

All I have to say about all this back and forth that is about to continue is if your going to continue like this, at least add little features to the firmware. Weather it’s 1 new visualizer for the music, or adding Shuffle to the video & picture Options on the PS3 or add a playlist option to the video section of the PS3 or even add a true sleep timer to BOTH the Music & the Video options on the PS3. I’m no programer but I know that these hackers can add all these features in a months time, while you guys just ecnore the simple little feature additions that would make the system better.

To be contin…

+ what0070 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

Two questions:

1) So far, the holiday release seems to be a Japan only schedule. When will we in NA be able to get our own date, or at least a hands on?

2) Will this be compatible with the UMD PSP games, or will I have to buy them all over again?

+ Wolf26pack on January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

Give us a real reason to upgrade our firmware!!!! Give us something the hackers can’t. I won’t ever jailbreak my beloved 60GB PS3 but don’t let the hackers make you look like fools Sony by upgrading your system and showing us that you just don’t seem to care. None of the features I mentioned should pose any legal issues so I don’t know why it has taken so long.

Do Something!! Do Anything!!!

+ Psychoticcherry on January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

WOW

+ saveur on January 27th, 2011 at 12:18 am said:

Loving everything except the UI, that is by far one of the worst looking menu screen I have ever seen. I really hope that is not going to be in the final version.

+ StuGunn5 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:19 am said:

Wow… its beautiful. I can’t wait for it, good thing I still have my normal PSP to play until then otherwise I don’t think I would make it.

+ johnnykilroy9394 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:19 am said:

Looks like I’ll be upgrading my PSP 3000! Thank you Sony!

+ ndrdd23 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:19 am said:

i want sony to put a hd screen on the psp like 720p or 1080p it would be the worlds smallest lcd or led screen it would have awesome picture quality so the psp can get more games like big like call of duty,medal of honor,or battlfield bad company just inmagine and also one more thing people its a playstation portable why not really make it portable like its a playstation that is portable it should be like a ps3 just portable having everything that a ps3 got people and sony were moving to the future were people want bigger better things for there money all i have to say is that the psp is cool but it can use some changing everyone should agree and also isnt the sony supposed to be make the impossible pssible like your ads like sony make believe well im dreaming of something and you should les make the world a better place and give people what they want

+ Zuriel on January 27th, 2011 at 12:20 am said:

Cant wait to see more details on software and battery. Once those pictures are clearer this will be a must buy!

+ InV3n0mat3 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:21 am said: