PS4-Watch_Dogs

Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jan 26, 2011 // President & CEO

PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

Next Generation Portable

Next Generation Portable: FrontNext Generation Portable: Rear

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

Next Generation Portable

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.

Thanks,
Jack Tretton

334 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7

+ zeroroi on January 27th, 2011 at 12:21 am said:

Jack your a Stud, Keep up the good work!

+ Alf13W4llac3 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:22 am said:

It’s always nice to wake up to this, although I suppose that’s not happening for you American peeps.

+ Ryuhza on January 27th, 2011 at 12:22 am said:

That’s hot.

+ Neo-CTU on January 27th, 2011 at 12:22 am said:

Thank you Mr Tretton, You are doing awesome job out there in the states. hopefully there is much support for the U.S PS3 Users.
so congratulation about the PSP2, Hopefully will hit the expectations and more with the seals.

Alex

+ playstion3man on January 27th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

OMG!!! I can’t wait. Its has bloody everything. wait does it have bt? but everything else anyway.

I so can’t wait, but my bank account definatly can.. I bet its gonna be expensive. Probs more then the ps3.. which wont be good as it will put it out of range for most people.

And it will be pspgo revisit probs.

+ DaMann22 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

Im guessing 329.99 starting price with a november release day. No matter what im getting it day one. Even if its really high, thats what a credit card is for. :)

+ francisko on January 27th, 2011 at 12:24 am said:

[DELETED] Yeah!, @2 i TOTALLY AGREE

+ favian on January 27th, 2011 at 12:26 am said:

Hope remote play is mandatory on future ps3 games. I’d love to be able to play ps3 games remotely from anywhere while tapped into a 3G connection. I’m digging the hardware. Please make sure the entire psp catalog is available on the psn store.

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:26 am said:

sooo uhhh what do i do with my UMDs now if i was to get this wizardry?
will there be some king of UMD ripper or something to transfer games to it or do i just let them collect dust? if not way to go on alienating some of your customers who already own a bunch of psp games and don’t want to pay full price AGAIN for games they already own.

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on January 27th, 2011 at 12:29 am said:

its me again

just take my money, please i want that piece of heaven!!!!!

+ StarENiX on January 27th, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

Sony was listening to us?! This is madness! Lol. Anyway, I’m very excited for this. Looks like a fantastic product. The only thing that bugs me is “NGP”, I don’t like it at all. Please keep it PSP “something”. Ty Sony!

+ KadillaK on January 27th, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

I love you Sony!

+ Cyber6x on January 27th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

This is AWESOME! Will it be backwards compatible will PSP games? Or Can they be downloaded from the PS Store? And what medium will be used for NGP games?

+ JLP_M on January 27th, 2011 at 12:31 am said:

I want this for Xmas!

+ vajranaga on January 27th, 2011 at 12:36 am said:

GORGEOUS!!!! Holy crap Sony… this is going to DESTROY the 3DS!!

+ AmbisDR on January 27th, 2011 at 12:36 am said:

2011 The Year The XBox die… PS3 freak here…

+ pitythefool852 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:37 am said:

I’d pay more, but I think $250 will be the limit for most folks out there.

Please keep the price down, Sony, or bundle a lot of PSN currency in the box to make up for it.

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

i’m serious about the UMD thing. i actually have quite a few games. and i was looking forward to this machine. but when i heard it wouldn’t have any kind of UMD support i was very disappointed. i mean yeah UMD wasn’t the greatest form of physical media but i and probably many people would like to know what sony’s plans are for for people who own a bunch of UMDS and plan on buying this thing.

+ mig2107 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:39 am said:

nintendo has nothing against this.

+ Chrason on January 27th, 2011 at 12:41 am said:

PLEASE use Gorilla Glass. My PSP slim is scratched to [DELETED].

+ Navick on January 27th, 2011 at 12:42 am said:

OMG… Getting this day 1!

+ dkenair on January 27th, 2011 at 12:43 am said:

Oh snap!! This things is BEAASSSSTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSony I love youTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

+ Kasval06 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:44 am said:

Tears of joy are grooving my face…

+ Navick on January 27th, 2011 at 12:46 am said:

Ohh and to all the people complaining about UMD’s… This isn’t the psp1.5, this is a “NEW” handheld. If you want to play a UMD then use your PSP. If you want to play the ps3ngppspthing then use the… yea… you get the picture. Either way it was a very smart idea to exclude it because it would only mean longer battery life espcially with the implementation of the OLED screen. WOOOOOOT!

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:47 am said:

but seriously am i the only one concerned about the UMD issue here?

+ Navick on January 27th, 2011 at 12:48 am said:

lol… probably not but you are definitely one of the few. dude carry your psp for umd’s carry your psp2 for everything else. and trust me when this thing comes out im sorry to say but yea those umd’s will be collecting dust…

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:49 am said:

i understand what your saying. but who wants two systems that almost do the same thing kinda.

+ SheistMalone on January 27th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

I can’t wait till this comes to market it looks really cool i think instead of it being called NGP i think it should be called PST(PlayStation Touch)

+ TheChicagoShadow on January 27th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

Sony I love u and hate u at the same time. I love the NGP and uncharted portable will be awsome. At the same time 2011 im gonna be broke. This and all the great games im broke. GG

+ Brameriz on January 27th, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

This looks Crazy #TeamBON

+ Pulseman on January 27th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

I am willing to bet that it will cost $399 and it will have 2-3 hours battery life… :)

+ Navick on January 27th, 2011 at 12:55 am said:

@Agrusa11 In a perfect world your right, the psp2 would have a built in umd drive but then you forfeit the rear touch screen, which in my opinion is the key to the psp2′s success, especially for those out there whom own nintendo ds’. trust me this was the right move. but seriously speaking on days you feel like playing a classic that you own on umd, just travel with your psp.

+ THE_J on January 27th, 2011 at 12:57 am said:

man I was gonna buy that GOW 3000 PSP…..now I gotta wait

+ BergStation on January 27th, 2011 at 12:57 am said:

curious to see if its a phone that can play games… or portable gaming system that can make phone calls. is it going to be released only for one carier? What cellular technology is it going to support. Why only wifi and 3G. Why not 4G and allow us to watch netflix on the go? Is it going to support video out? ugh… can be such an awesome phone but what are the specs????

and based on the width it looks like text messaging would be clunky…

+ lionkun23 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:01 am said:

Tiiiiiiight hardware, looks amazing!!
Hope they come up with a better looking UI though…

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 27th, 2011 at 1:02 am said:

This is great! It looks awesome and I’m sure it feels the same way. :)

+ gabelogan90 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:06 am said:

This looks cool, especially with Uncharted coming to portable soon. Call of Duty has been on portable but hopefully they do a port of Modern Warfare 2 or Black Ops.

+ renzo_16thotyz on January 27th, 2011 at 1:09 am said:

I’m totally speech less like TOTALLY!… wait I shouldn’t be speaking right now…………

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:10 am said:

what was the reason the umd drive was removed?

+ sleepy92 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:14 am said:

“PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow.”

But the real loyal North American Playstation fans stayed up and watched the press event online. It’s 4 am and theres no way I can sleep with all this excitement. Oh well, back to reading up on my future handheld.

+ SuperTiso on January 27th, 2011 at 1:22 am said:

I dunno if I like the design. This is of course still day 1 buy for me regardless like the original PSP was but I was hoping for more a PSP Go looking style. A new media support now as well? You guys best demand day and date release for both digital and retail copies.

+ SuperTiso on January 27th, 2011 at 1:27 am said:

I’m letting all your guys know right now so you don’t end up mad or disappointed that Sony IS GOING TO SCREW UMD OWNERS OVER. Just get that thought into your mind right now and accept that reality just like us Go owners had to accept about our promised “UMD solution”.

+ MaxPayneV3 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:29 am said:

I hope the new GUI comes to the PS3

+ agrusa11 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:30 am said:

i am disappoint.

+ Rick1220 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:44 am said:

I effing NEED this right now.

+ VenomXv on January 27th, 2011 at 1:47 am said:

EPIC!

Day 1

+ NewCenturyZer0 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:49 am said:

Awesome!! I’ll have to pick this up! Kinda worried on the price tag though…

+ kytank on January 27th, 2011 at 2:01 am said:

The buttons needs to be bigger. Think of the big handed people please. Is that a camera lens on the back? Will it be able too take video and/or pictures?

+ skx97 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:05 am said:

I want it now D:

+ AguilarX on January 27th, 2011 at 2:25 am said:

Quad core!? Damn! hopefully the battery can handle it. cant wait for full information, maybe GDC. NGP is a KRATOS! (Kratos>beast)

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 7