PS4 - Transistor

Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jan 26, 2011 // President & CEO

PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

Next Generation Portable

Next Generation Portable: FrontNext Generation Portable: Rear

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

Next Generation Portable

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.

Thanks,
Jack Tretton

334 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

+ AguilarX on January 27th, 2011 at 2:26 am said:

$40 a month from febuary to november. ok im set with games included. woot!

+ AguilarX on January 27th, 2011 at 2:28 am said:

*february

+ VendettaLion on January 27th, 2011 at 2:35 am said:

I cannot wait to get my hands on this Magical device!

+ ZombiesTT on January 27th, 2011 at 2:42 am said:

this looks cool but what is the point of a touch pad at the back of the device? I guess the features may change throughout the course of 2011, depending on how the 3DS does.

+ WarningDeadZone on January 27th, 2011 at 2:42 am said:

SEXY !

+ triple_lei on January 27th, 2011 at 2:42 am said:

Thank you, Mr. President!

+ LunarRoar on January 27th, 2011 at 2:43 am said:

Looks snazzy, kudos Sony! Now the REAL questions:
-How’s the battery life? Nintendo’s new 3DS portable system has a very disappointing life span (for me anyway since I’m out of the house all day, 4 days a week). Given all that the NGP is able to do, I’m fearing that it may suffer in the same way :/

-When will it release?!

Other than that, I’m very excited to learn more about the system as more information is released :D

+ michaelochs on January 27th, 2011 at 2:47 am said:

OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU PLAYSTATION whats the price 200$ 300$ um………..350$………..400$ my final offer lol XD sony you guns just pwned nintendo i was thinking about buying the 3ds but PLAYSTATION you made me see the light NGP is the future like the ps3 now if only MAG is gonna be 1 of the games oh and playstation you guys are the best video game company ever microsoft stands no chance againist playstation microsoft is thiefs they charge for xboxlive its stupid and nintedo charges you to use the browser [DELETED] they suck thankgod i never bought an xbox3crappy playstation is the only true game company out there

+ basha_king on January 27th, 2011 at 2:51 am said:

In electronic SONY always simply rock….i have already psp go….i am waiting for new lanuch thanks to sony

+ heamcastro on January 27th, 2011 at 2:59 am said:

I can’t wait to have it in hands!!!

Thank you so much, Sony!!! The fun of PS Move and the best games ever and now a powerful portable!!! 2011 it’s gonna be THE YEAR!!!

+ SirAnthon on January 27th, 2011 at 3:06 am said:

The sweet spot will be $250, might sell it with a minimal loss until a first or second revision for hardware, but it will blow out of proportions for nintendo they just have a gimmick 3d device and people will lose interest soon on the 3d, this on the other hand looks more promising, it just needs better support than its predecesor and will become a gamers mobile haven… it’s all win in my eyes.

+ Seahawk313 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:14 am said:

Finally:)

+ Mr_Pickle on January 27th, 2011 at 3:21 am said:

Hopefully you allow third party apps to be developed and available freely on the NGP as I’d love to see an official Facebook, Foursquare and Twitter applications.

+ Pjimmyhat on January 27th, 2011 at 3:23 am said:

love it looks like it has two camera’s I think one next to the right next to the buttons

+ Dice_for_Death_ on January 27th, 2011 at 3:26 am said:

I think I’ll day-one this. I really think I will.

+ LordAbsu on January 27th, 2011 at 3:49 am said:

See? Now THIS is what I’m talking about!! Gonna start saving my pennies so I can NGP get!!

+ memortally on January 27th, 2011 at 3:50 am said:

First of all i sorry for my poor english but i hope everyone who reads this will understand what i want to tell

Sony Like No Other this is for sure

some gamers blame sony for their not creative as other gaming companies but second analog and track pad is so cool and i see video that in uncharted to climb you use trackpad with your fingers moving up and down which is so cool and looks fun (which is important in portable system)

Other thing is i like the design sooo much its so slick and the playstation`s circle,X,square and triangle icons on them looks FANTASTIC

other thing multi touch screen hope this thing allows us to see games like ninja fruit , angry birds etc ..

i really can`t wait for it hope it will release before end of the year couse 10 months is soo far away

Not: i am from Turkey/istanbul and want to come vacation to states hope i am in there at the right time and wait in the line for NGP launch YAY :)

+ memortally on January 27th, 2011 at 3:52 am said:

playstation`s circle,X,square and triangle icons on them looks FANTASTIC

I MEAN icons on TRACK PAD looks CRAZY :)

+ akab211 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:55 am said:

I’m so excited that i just can’t hide it!

+ amayunputra on January 27th, 2011 at 4:05 am said:

GREAT! i will sell my old stuff for this.

+ BSC94 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:05 am said:

OMG. Its amazing, cant wait to get my hands on this beasty system. Thanks Jack.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:10 am said:

AND EVERYONE I KNOW WONDERS WHY I LOVE SONY SO MUCH. THEY JUST TAKE EVERY OTHER IDEA AND MAKE IT BETTER SO THAT WAY THEY DONT HAVE TO MAKE 5-10 HANDHELD SYSTEMS TO GET IT RIGHT UNLIKE SOME OTHER COMPANIES *COUGH(NINTENDO). IM SO GLAD THEY DID THE DOUBLE JOYSTICK AND THE TOUCH SCREEN THATS ALL I WANTED..AND BEING ABLE TO PLAY PS3 GAMES ON IT..BLOWS ANY OTHER 3DS SYSTEM AWAY..GOD BLESS SONY FOR LISTENING TO THIER CUSTIES..ACTUALLY THEY WILL BE BLESS WITH ALL THE MONEY THEY NEED AS SOON AS THIS NGP -CODE NAME PSP2- COMES OUT..:)

+ swiftfox85 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:13 am said:

man that is ssssssssoooooooo cooooollll!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!when it is coming out???

+ AustinKH on January 27th, 2011 at 4:14 am said:

ok if its a touch screen then why are there directional buttons? thats kinda stupid.

+ Astronica on January 27th, 2011 at 4:23 am said:

buying this…
and is the name NGP offical??
i like PSP2 moar but its nice lol.

+ EJ25VF34GD7 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:26 am said:

This thing’s going to kick ass. Please just don’t make it too expensive Sony!

+ Tas_man001 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:30 am said:

This is really cool and all, but before I’m sold I need to know what kind of backwards compatibility options it has. Will it support UMDs? or just the downloaded titles? Will I still be able to use my 16GB memory stick I just got back in december? and if not, will I still be able to download downloadable titles I already purchased on the store?

Many of these options are very important to me. and I don’t think I’ll be buying this until the price drops a little bit if I can’t play my 20 UMDs on the NGP or at least not without some way of getting digital versions of them onto the NGP without purchasing them again.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:32 am said:

ALSO I THINK THIS SYSTEM SHOULD SKIP THE PSONE CLASSICS AND START WORKING ON THE PS2 CLASSICS AND PS3 HITS…SERIOUSLY WHO PLAYS PSONE GAMES..AND WHY WOULD YOU THEY LOOK HIDEOUS! >:p I ALSO THINK THEY SHOULDVE ALLOWED UMD GAMES TO BE PLAYED ON IT..IR THEY NEED TO MAKE A UMD CONVERTER ADAPTER OR SOMETHING…FOR SOME REASON SONY SEEMS TO FORGET THAT PEOPLE STILL OWN UMDS AND ACTUALLY WANT TO USE THEM..SMH

+ Enforcer_X on January 27th, 2011 at 4:45 am said:

OMG PS ON ANDROID!
I think I died and went to heaven!
You were a little slow Sony but damn, talk about coming out swinging

+ quiomar01 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:48 am said:

…just waiting for E3 now! :)

+ TheDarkCrucible on January 27th, 2011 at 4:48 am said:

My only questions are will I be able to connect my PSN account to it so I can message friends from the NGP (PSP2)? also will the NGP have trophy support? if so will it connect with my current PSN trophy level?
besides that my only real concern is are the buttons good? my orginal PSP the X button stops working sometimes and its getting agrvating so I don’t want to end up getting this to have a X button or Triangle button break/not work sometimes lol
last but not least… price???

+ TheDarkCrucible on January 27th, 2011 at 4:49 am said:

@171: I still please PS1 Classics, I mean heck I was more into my PS1 then I was my PS2 tho ill admit I have some PS2 games I really loved. never undersestimate the power of Classic gaming.

+ BnA328 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:01 am said:

when? when?when? now! now! now! i want it now !!!!!!! cant wait

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:03 am said:

@ 174…IM PRETTY SURE EVERYONE WOULD RATHER PLAY A PS2 GREATEST HITS THAN A PS1 CLASSIC.THE PS1 GAMES JUST LOOKS SO HORRIBLE.LET BY GONES BE BY GONES AND STEP YOUR GAME UP..PS2 ON PSP2 ONLY MAKES SENSE.:P AND PS3 ON THAT PSP2 IS ONLY MIND BLOWING!!

+ darkharbinger864 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:03 am said:

This is exactly what I have been waiting for. Been meaning to get ahold of a PSP but thought I would wait and see if there was something new coming out. Sony you never failed me before and once again you gave me something to look forward to lol. Thank you.

+ ArchAngelMai on January 27th, 2011 at 5:22 am said:

The fact its not called the PSP2 doesn’t bother me since 2 Sticks are present! A Sony loyalist always, SEND IT OUR WAY!

+ exGore on January 27th, 2011 at 5:26 am said:

Any phone capabilities? =D I want to replace my phone with that. Also, bring Skype please, lol.

+ Chaoticblaze27 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:32 am said:

Can’t wait to get it

+ EatDeath on January 27th, 2011 at 5:33 am said:

I cant wait

+ daxter831 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:36 am said:

New interface for NGP looks amazing.. I hope some of the features like LiveArea can be integrated into the PS3…. LiveArea would be great for communication with friends online! PLEASE SAY THIS IS TRUE!

+ DABUNKER on January 27th, 2011 at 5:45 am said:

Yay Mr. Tretton!! Fantastic looking machine here. I can’t wait to get one. Just make sure some clown doesn’t come out, announce a ridiculous pricetag, and follow up that line by saying “we’re confident people will work overtime, or get second jobs so they can buy one.” That was one of the dumbest moves in the history of video game console releases. I hope you guys shot that guy out of a cannon.

+ TJknight on January 27th, 2011 at 5:47 am said:

tablet PCs you guy had among the first with the psp but no balls on the follow throw. i dont want games that much any more i have grown up with sony playstaion and stuff. i like to contune i want a personal entainerment termanel and a wrist holder so i can feel like and i want it jail brake it too becuse if im paying 300. + dollars i want at it top form . not to feel like im renting from you.

+ Gas0linE on January 27th, 2011 at 5:51 am said:

Should have saved this for E3. But anyway looks cool.

+ Baccra on January 27th, 2011 at 5:58 am said:

No offense but Kevin Butler should be doing this intro.

+ Black_Angel_7_7 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:04 am said:

waaoo nice sony #1. Keep going man like that. I think I [DELETED] my pants with that NGP.

+ BananaFish on January 27th, 2011 at 6:06 am said:

PS1 Classics are GARBAGE!!! Next gen is forward thinking…not triple dipping through re-cashing in on decade plus old games. Unless Sony announces this thing is capable of playing PSN versions of PS2 games the whole project NGP has fail written all over it. Wipe that drool off your chins fanbois ’cause this device has fail written all over it.

+ cypher-02 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

Sony you have outdone yourselves once again this is unbelievable stuff and the fact you will be offering games via retail stores is a massive relief to hear!! just think of the potential which Kojima-san was saying about being able to play games at home on our big tv’s and then when going out you will be able to continue playing the same game on the ‘NGP’ that is a true convergence of the psp brand which i have been waiting so long for, and i suppose the icing on the cake would be not just the dual analogue sticks but the sticks themselves being modelled after the dualshock 3 controller’s. Really could not have asked for more Sony thanks Jack you are the man :)

+ ODINGameslayer on January 27th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

Finally.. FINALLY.. dual thumb sticks!

And TROPHIES!

It’s a PSP reboot. Done right.

Just when I’d lost faith in the handhelds…along comes this.

Guess I’ll have to buy. :)

+ Lord_Jaroh on January 27th, 2011 at 6:13 am said:

I own LittleBigPlanet, Resistance and Uncharted for the PS3. Will I have to purchase these games again to play them on the NGP?

I own many PSP titles on UMD drives. Will there be some way to play them on the NGP without having to purchase them on the PSN (if they are even available there)?

I own many PS2 games. Will I be able to play them on the NGP without having to purchase them for a second time?

I own many PS1 games. Will I be able to play them on the NGP without having to purchase them again?

Will anything play from here on the still rumored Playstation Phone and vice versa?

+ mikedo2007 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:18 am said:

So this is the PSP2 I’ve been hearing about. I hope it’ll be promising.

PAGE 1 2 3 4 5 6 7