PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jan 26, 2011 // President & CEO

PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

Next Generation Portable

Next Generation Portable: FrontNext Generation Portable: Rear

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

Next Generation Portable

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.

Thanks,
Jack Tretton

334 Comments

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7

+ BL00DYM1K3 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:18 am said:

AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but!! i want a dynamic XMB!!!!!!!
LiveArea is ugly! :S

+ QUINTISON on January 27th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

Things i’m expecting :bluetooth.wi fi n,a profile with resistance level customization(without it i can’t do dual analog and would need to have the psp 2 re-wired to play the likes of uncharted,killzone or ratchet),PSN ACCOUNT SUPPORT INCLUDING TROPHY’S AND FRIENDS ALREADY PRESENT ON PS3,WAGGLE-Motion support so we could drive cars,karts etc by fake steering the unit.

Whenever i play dual analog games i use southpaw though what the game industry calls it and what i use are different.
The industry sets move to the right stick and freelook to the left-then stops leaving things like the d-pad and face buttons in default mode.

What i use is inverted aim where up=down and down=up+southpaw sticks and i’ve got a fully customizable playstation pad by thrustmaster call the 3-1 dual trigger which starts out in default every time a ps2,ps3 starts up but after programing it all you need do after boot up is press preset which overrides ALL in game controls to whatever you want or need.

+ QUINTISON on January 27th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

To finish southpaw i assign the d-pad to the face buttons and then the d-pad becomes my face buttons.

If i don’t have access to a fully custom profile in psp2 which would be part of my psn profile making the psp2 the master and every game would be coded to use the profile if different from in game controls making the games the slave i simply can’t play dual analog games and would need to track someone down to re-wire the guts so the controls worked the way i need them to.

+ CloudStorm87 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

Thank you Sony. The NGP is everything I expected and then some. Just give us a price now and please don’t charge more than £230-£250 for those living in the UK.

+ Wikiality on January 27th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

Here are some minor things I would change…

1. I would center the screen so that it’s a little bit closer to the bottom. The current screen has a rather large bezel on the bottom part and no bezel at all on top, if the screen is moved slightly lower so that it’s at the dead center of the device, it would look better. Doing this requires the “Sony Playstation” branding text be made smaller and less conspicuous (which is fine, Apple never really has much branding on their devices and they do just fine).

2. I would put “Sony” and “Playstation” together next to each other in the same location using the same font, so that text (branding) only appears on the device in one centered location rather than in two.

3. I would make the device slightly less oval and more rectangular. This probably won’t happen, but imo, it would look better if the device wasn’t quite so oval.

4. I would indent the analog sticks slightly inward so that they are concave. I think this would make them more comfortable, but it’s possible I’m wrong.

5. I would implement cross platform play and a unified profile between the PS3 and the PSP2 version of Call of Duty with your ranking, achievements and unlocks carrying over between both.

+ ATHF89 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

Is Sony run by gods?

+ Eddbenzer666 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

No UMDs anymore?

+ crazyfooINC on January 27th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

I was on the fence about plunking down for a 3DS, but the NGP seems to have decided for me :-D

+ Insanecyclone on January 27th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

I read that entire post in Jack’s voice.

+ PirateHarlock on January 27th, 2011 at 11:27 am said:

Noticed a few things in this announcement which was devoid of any real technical details. But a few things were obvious. It has android os not the psp os and also lacks a umd drive. This is almost certain to render existing PSP content unusable on the new handheld. And it also locks gamers into the digital download only model rejected by most publishers which caused the pspgo to fail so miserably. also the 3G, not a wise choice when the current high end is 4G. Don’t forget this in essence will be using cell phone tech for its networking which means it will be locked to a certain provider when (and if) you buy it and those initially are likely limited to the USA & Japan leaving the rest of the world out in the cold until sony gets around to it. I’m not sure if sony intended to but the revealed their hand here, they are essentially abandoning the existing psp customers to go after the cell fone market. Their doing this to woo game developers who are currently creating games on the android OS. Personally I’m glad I got out of the PSP end of things well before it went south.

+ alassane1994 on January 27th, 2011 at 11:30 am said:

oooh ooooooooooh my god she is dirty ,so hot i will give my body for this psp i love it i love it and she is dirty again

+ m4354164 on January 27th, 2011 at 11:34 am said:

sony is awesome @=)

+ BlueBl1zzard on January 27th, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

Thank you Jack and thank you Sony!!! I was looking forward to this very much and I knew you guys wouldn’t disappoint :)

+ MoneyMaker110 on January 27th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

silly pirate wasn’t paying attention

+ Go_Buddie_Go on January 27th, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

I just got a PSP a month ago and love it, I’ve been thinking about getting the Nintendo 3DS… BUT with this announcement I’ll gladly pass on the 3DS and wait for this. I just hope Japan Studios can bring a Patapon 4!?

+ l-il-dude on January 27th, 2011 at 11:57 am said:

hell ya am i get amazed every time with your new products theier amazing when will it come out ???

+ KaRLoS0711 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG I can’t wait! :o

+ joebobmcslob on January 27th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

Thank god I skipped the PSP Go! What a waste of $200 that would have been, eh?

+ CRAIG19C on January 27th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Yay Jack! Always good to hear from you Mr. Trentton. Thanks for the information. :)

+ mcbuttz78 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

i still the psp go is better in a few ways. but this new one has a few more saftey features. I noticed theres no opening on it. Not even a headset jack. talk about sercurity..lol.. so i guess its 100% digital download .

If its ok to ask how does this beat the psp go in terms of power. i dont see how??

+ eaglefan129 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:32 pm said:

We see the titles no can it be pulled off by end of this year? will just have to see

+ Victoryismine52 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

My wife is going to hate you even more when this comes out!… but for me I thank you!

+ piXL on January 27th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

Sure, it won’t offer 3D, will it???

+ Uzumaki_Adilson on January 27th, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

Finally! 2 analog sticks!!

+ BallinOutTheBox on January 27th, 2011 at 1:01 pm said:

This device looks, visually and statistically amazing. I hope the pricing and the first model packages are reasonable. But I’m excited about all the tech you guys are throwing in it and the games you are bringing to it! And a second analog stick! Awesome news!

+ digitalman123 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:50 pm said:

As the prophecy foretold! LOL…
Cool. The PSP could’ve had two analog sticks. There’s a HUGE space where the new analog stick is that the PSP has that could fit an analog stick.
Probably a Day Five Pick-Up for me. Should give the stores time to restock…

+ cell989 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:05 pm said:

DUAL STICKS = WIN!!!!

+ zaca21 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

Holy crap i love this guy.

+ zaca21 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:27 pm said:

x o x o x o x o x o x o

+ trapper12 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:32 pm said:

Thanks Jack and the whole SCE brand making PlayStation. I am certainly picking this bad boy up when it launches. Can’t wait!!!!!!

+ theultimatenub on January 27th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

Jack you and the rest at sony are the best this is why i trust sony on everything

+ kbempoleon on January 27th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

sony always proves to be a step ahead of the others. Great great work sony. I can’t wait to pick it up.

+ sharpshoot on January 27th, 2011 at 2:52 pm said:

I think a football game would be cool on that. Where you use your fingers on the back to grip the ball then make a forward motion to throw the ball.

+ ThatFabian on January 27th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

when i saw this posted. i got so happy. i want one… now.

+ RRstrong on January 27th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

I CANT BELIEVE WHAT IM SEEING. PRICE TAG $399.99 AND I WILL DEFF TAKE THAT. ITS CRACK IN YOUR HANDS 0_0

+ DTXSFC on January 27th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

I like it but I’m sure I won’t like the price. I guess it’s time to sell my PSP go and stack up an extra hundred. My guess is it might go for $349.00. If they decide to make 2 sku models I’m looking at $299.00 wi-fi only and $349.00 3G with 2 digital downloads. I’m sure this will be an Oct. or Nov. release date.

+ footballrule on January 27th, 2011 at 3:52 pm said:

Truly beautiful news! So excited for this! :)

+ Ninja-Masta69 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:16 pm said:

Congratulations guys…the launching of the psp was revolutionary and totally awesome and now the NGP, absolutely breathtaking..I hope its everything the psp is and the ps3 combined. i will be looking forward to more info in the future.

+ Mobstylez on January 27th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

Nice design.

+ Keyeszx on January 27th, 2011 at 4:53 pm said:

Why droid? I want PS Suite for my Iphone!!!

+ deafwing on January 27th, 2011 at 5:12 pm said:

this is … sexy :D

+ stinkey on January 27th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

I want 3 now. one for me and two for both my sons. It has everything except for 3D and im happy they didn’t add that. Hope it’s priced right

+ IDOT_Minute_Man on January 27th, 2011 at 5:52 pm said:

4G would be better. If you can make phone calls and surf the web I’m dumping the Iphone!
How can you transfer the UMD games I have a lot of them.

+ shaka_trill_nigg on January 27th, 2011 at 6:05 pm said:

..iii cant waiit iim gettinq daht wn ii cumn oout as soon as possible

+ gutcorral on January 27th, 2011 at 7:03 pm said:

cant wait!

+ elementsk8er13 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:03 pm said:

Sony, this is why you are the best. Its amazing in every way. I can’t wait to get one.

+ retro25 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

SWEEEEEEEEEEET!!!!!

+ Nick_392 on January 27th, 2011 at 8:38 pm said:

under $350 and i’ll get it. Sony please don’t make a mistake about pricing. Remember the ps3, could’ve been way ahead of the wii and 360 if it wasn’t for a $800 price tag. other than that this device looks spectacular. just amazing. Uncharted looks gorgeous haha.

+ Senjutsu_Dav on January 27th, 2011 at 10:10 pm said:

Going to buy on day one. Depending on the price, that is, haha. With all those technologies, I suppose we’ll have to pay a lot. I can go up to 400$ on day one, more than that it’s gonna wait a year or two, haha.

Even 400$ sems high.. at 350$ I won’t ask any questions, I’ll just take it, =D

+ MvSly14 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:12 pm said:

AWESOME.now its only the price thatll make me get it or not :D

PAGE 1 4 5 6 7