PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Jack Tretton's Avatar + Posted by Jack Tretton on Jan 26, 2011 // President & CEO

PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

Next Generation Portable

Next Generation Portable: FrontNext Generation Portable: Rear

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

Next Generation Portable

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.

Thanks,
Jack Tretton

334 Comments

PAGE 1 5 6 7

+ nosy1 on January 27th, 2011 at 10:28 pm said:

how much will it cost

+ LordRaymond on January 28th, 2011 at 2:51 am said:

Definately buying but it better be protected better. About the 3G is it free or do we need a carrier?

+ jpnn on January 28th, 2011 at 5:39 am said:

I hope that they will also fix the major cons of the current psp, which are :
-a brightness not high enough for the screen to be watched in direct sunlight unlike the screens of cellphones,
-lack of divx support since umd movies are dead,
-a very basic music player not even able to create a playlist from the psp

+ FiftyQuid on January 28th, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

It’s beautiful! I love that you finally added the dual analog sticks, and a ton of other features the public has been asking for. Then you went above and beyond those requests. That’s how you run a company!

I just have one question: It has a ton of features, but will it toast a panini sandwich for me?

+ RAVEN81 on January 28th, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

thanks jack and team sony

+ VectorRaven on January 28th, 2011 at 8:12 am said:

I’m late but I have just some words. My wallet now belongs to Sony and God bless the chips. That is all.

+ KineticArtist on January 28th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

touch screen? GPS? Cameras? I say Hot Dayuuum thanks SOny and PLaystation this is going to be too cool

+ danielstokes on January 28th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

can some 1 tell me how much it will be, saving up money now for it

+ Rezinol on January 28th, 2011 at 3:44 pm said:

This thing is going to be so awesome! Hope it’s around or less then the $300 Price Range, what am I gonna do with my stack of UMD’s though?

+ rocco1197 on January 28th, 2011 at 3:59 pm said:

Cant wait! :O Do you know when a release date will be announced?

+ evil1x on January 28th, 2011 at 8:35 pm said:

OK this is just sick! but I guess that the price for this will be so sick that will kill you! if playStation make this more expensive of ps3, 2011 will be the last year or then. So please playStation don’t be stupid to do this :D

+ xAssassinx1 on January 28th, 2011 at 10:04 pm said:

Dear Sony,

If you got the Android Marketplace on the NGP somehow, I think that would make this the perfect device.

+ Finaldeath1689 on January 29th, 2011 at 2:33 pm said:

Touchpad on the back looks like a waste and will just make the thing cost more. The touchpad would be pretty much unused by me because of how i hold my current psp, my fingers barely touch the back of my psp.

Also, a little more info on the thing would be nice, it looks just like the current psp except it has a touch screen on front and back and a second joystick. So far from what i know, it doesn’t look like it would be worth upgrading from my phat psp that i don’t even use anyway because the psp doesn’t have any games worth buying. (for me anyway)

+ Saturosgt on January 29th, 2011 at 8:05 pm said:

I just want to know when this is coming out, i already like the way it looks cool, and i’m pretty much going to get it.

+ bit6665 on January 30th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

what date is release i want it

+ Excalibur0123 on February 1st, 2011 at 6:09 am said:

Ok What is the price we need it like now because I’m trying to get this because it’s AwesomeNess Covered in Chocolate Covered Epic Sauce :P

+ bk7894 on February 1st, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

baby you got what i need ngp

+ xXBr4nd4nXx on February 1st, 2011 at 8:27 pm said:

IM SOO PUMPED!!

+ dawack1 on February 2nd, 2011 at 9:34 am said:

MAKE THE NGP DOUBLE AS A PHONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ killzone2501 on February 2nd, 2011 at 10:56 am said:

Rocco1197 it will come on December 31

+ NeoMahi on February 2nd, 2011 at 1:35 pm said:

Wow! 2011 is going to be quite the year for gaming weighing mostly in favor of Sony and their soon to be four platforms on the market at once. I doubt with the release of the NGP, that Sony will stop support for the PSP as Mr. T had stated that they will continue to drive the hardware and support the hardware for as long as consumers find value in it. “Because ultimately, today’s PS2 (PSP) consumers, are tomorrows PS3 (NGP) owners.” So we’re not only getting new hardware this year, but a great selection of software for the PlayStation 3. The only games we’re not hearing from are God of War or Heavy Rain. But, another title could be announced for God of War @ E3 with a trailer and maybe David Cage is working on more DLC for Heavy Rain now that Move has in a sense come and gone.

Sony, you’re already giving us a lot this year, and we’re REALLY EXCITED for it! But, we’d still like you to continue looking into XGame Chat for PlayStation Network as well as NGP. We’re seeing a check-list one-by-one being met with PlayStation Plus, cloud saves, but I think we’d be really blown away at E3 after the numbers have be reported and PlayStation Network is talked about to hear:

+ NeoMahi on February 2nd, 2011 at 1:35 pm said:

“At Sony Computer Entertainment, we’re always looking to expand our services and allow our fans and gamers to communicate in so many ways. In order to further enrich this philosophy, we’re happy to announce today, our new take on communicating throughout our network. The ability to play Uncharted: Drakes Deception on one console, and then communicate your thoughts of this experience to a fellow gamer and friend on another console experiencing life as a Superhero in InFamous 2. We at Sony are pleased to announce the integration of XGame Chat here at E3 and on stage to further demonstrate this new integration, Eric Lempell.”

Of course with your style of finesse but, I think the time has come. There’s still about 5 or 6 months to talk things over with developers to work this out and enable it on the PS3 and NGP. I think its next on the check-list to put a nail in the coffin of the competition. If there ever was any.

+ Stal6666 on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

I cant wait for it to come out. I wonder how much it costs. If its below $235, I’ll buy it.

+ RykerAnime61 on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:42 am said:

If this system were backwards compatible with UMD games and movies, I’d be all over it. But it’s not and that not only saddens me but it angers me to know that at some point, my PSP is going to stop working and it’ll be a pain in the butt to try and get a new one, and I’m not talking about a refurbished system. Sony needs to REALLY, SERIOUSLY think about pushing ahead with this system. They need to take into consideration all the current owners of the 2000 and 3000 series PSP owners and waht those people are going to have to go through when their systems quit working and this new system is the only one available.I own 47 UMD games and 31 UMD movies and if I have to sell those just because I can’t get a replacement PSP then I’m really going to be unhappy.

+ RykerAnime61 on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:43 am said:

If this system were backwards compatible with UMD games and movies, I’d be all over it. But it’s not and that not only saddens me but it angers me to know that at some point, my PSP is going to stop working and it’ll be a pain in the butt to try and get a new one, and I’m not talking about a refurbished system. Sony needs to REALLY, SERIOUSLY think about pushing ahead with this system. They need to take into consideration all the current owners of the 2000 and 3000 series PSP owners and what those people are going to have to go through when their systems quit working and this new system is the only one available.I own 47 UMD games and 31 UMD movies and if I have to sell those just because I can’t get a replacement PSP then I’m really going to be unhappy.

+ moserbaer on February 3rd, 2011 at 9:44 am said:

i just purchased the psp go and this came from nowhere i still like the psp go but this psp seems the best sony really make’s belive i love sony it also made a graveyard for the nitendo i love the psp and it power
sony plz make a psp go camera

+ Stal6666 on February 3rd, 2011 at 12:48 pm said:

The PSPgo was a major FAIL.

+ matt_trivit on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:15 pm said:

So is it going to be completely download able content? If so what are UMD users going to do to play their favorite UMD based games?

+ Stal6666 on February 4th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

It isn’t fully based on downloadable games. You can’t play UMD though. Their coming out with a new chip for each game.

+ omnibox1165 on February 5th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

The NGP looks promising. However, any game system is useless without content. I would like to see more support from SONY as well as game developers. Since 2005 I’ve seen the PSP section in every shop dwindle to the point where some of them have deleted the platform altogether. When the unit is released will it have new games available? And I’m not referring to PS One classics. I mean new as in developed for the NGP system itself, and able to take advantage of the new system’s capabilities. Only with continuing support from game developers and SONY will this system not be second place to Nintendo as it is now.

+ KevWriter on February 8th, 2011 at 11:21 am said:

I want to know what Kevin Butler thinks about the NGP.

+ RykerAnime61 on February 12th, 2011 at 1:42 am said:

What I’d like to see, for this system as well as the PS3, is downloadable PS2 games. If this system has the technological capabilities to handle PS3 level graphics and sound, then it can handle PS2 games. There were some really great games for the PS2.

+ SethDogg101 on February 17th, 2011 at 3:11 pm said:

dude i cant wait for this thing to come out sure the 3ds has 3d which is awesome but this is… well… i cant find any words to fit it…cant wait. is there a date for this thing and as long as the price is below 300 im ok

+ antkid35 on February 20th, 2011 at 5:43 am said:

sony if u read these coments then here iis what i have to say the NGP = nintendo got powned is the best evry thing about the psp2 is awsome i will get it on the frist day and u can also stalk ppl on it to thats awsome but the price is my concern i would be ok with 350 but if u guys really want it to sell then it should be 250-300 but i would buy it at any price i cant wait thats all i talk about is the ngp but how come u guys dont talk about the psp phone that much it is just as good iam getting both of the systems

PAGE 1 5 6 7