PS4 - The Last of Us Remastered

MotorStorm Apocalypse 3D Trailer Live on PSN, Watch it in 2D Now

Matt Southern's Avatar + Posted by Matt Southern on Jan 26, 2011 // Game Director, Evolution Studios

Yesterday I paid one of my irregular visits to our research technicians in the building they share with our embedded testers and sound engineers. Once again they blew my mind with their staggering glimpses of tomorrow’s world. Videos of Sony prototypes such as the head-mounted display and the volumetric display cylinder show how exciting the exponential growth of technology for games really is. The Holodeck is closer than any of us could imagine!

About 5 years ago, at the same time MotorStorm was in pre-production, I shared a studio space with these guys, and they were adamant that stereoscopic 3D gaming was going to be far more compelling than 3D movies. To prove it, they built a 3D simulation of our local race track…and stunned us all. Politicians, senior execs and pro race drivers all secretly visited to see what the modest geniuses we hired from British Aerospace Engineering had achieved.

The culmination of that work can be seen in MotorStorm Apocalypse. It is now regularly described as the best example of stereoscopic 3D gaming you can get, so all that research and development looks like it was well worth it. Hopefully most of you will at least get to see the 3D, but even more than that I hope you get to play it. The video above is one we’ve made to showcase the tech on for the PlayStation.Blog, but the 3D version is now available for download from the PlayStation Store.

It’s so cool to see a ‘blue sky’ technology grow into a real game in this way. Maybe in a few years I’ll be back here with a video of something I saw yesterday, but till then, the 3D revolution will suffice! ;)

+ emzee83 on January 26th, 2011 at 10:36 am said:

Can’t wait for the game! Can you guys confirm if there’s going to be custom soundtracks for online play and not just single player?

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 11:41 am said:

This isn’t something I can give a precise answer on just yet – custom soundtracks for offline play are confirmed, but not online play yet.

+ sick111one on January 26th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

Any new 3d content is welcomed!! My 3dtv will be happy!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

3D content does indeed make 3DTV’s happy! We hope you enjoy this 3D content in particular… :-)

+ dragonmagician on January 26th, 2011 at 10:39 am said:

An actual 3D trailer on the PSN? That’s kinda cool.

I wish more studios would start doing that.

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

I expect that they will as more and more studios begin to develop games in stereoscopic 3D.

+ pitythefool852 on January 26th, 2011 at 10:49 am said:

3D trailers for 3D games is a great idea, although not that many people have 3DTVs yet.

Why don’t they put 3D game trailers before Sony Pictures 3D movies in the theatre instead? That way people without 3DTVs will think “I should get one of those”.

When you’ve got a captive audience who obviously like 3D, it’s a good opportunity to show them the wonders of PS3 home 3D gaming :)

+ KineticArtist on January 26th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

the game looks great will love playing it

the 3d tho not even gonna care… 3D is a rip off especially in movies and even games just not enugh of the third dimension to even care and Im certainly not gonna rush out and buy a 3d tv set and shutter glasses or keep some real 3d glasses from the movie theater so I can play a game with glasses on

nope 3d is lame and will be till we get screens that do true 3D for all scenes and we dont have to wear glasses…

+ remanutd5 on January 26th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

time to buy a 3dtv , cant wait to play Motorstorm Apocalypse !!!!! its my second most anticipated title this year , just behind The Last Guardian , LUNATICS UNITE!!!!!!

+ remanutd5 on January 26th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

at 4 , wow thats a great idea !!!!

+ frazevedo on January 26th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

Please say that you added wheel controller support!!! I’m a fan of the series, I have both motorstorm 1 and 2 but both don’t have it.

Looks great! Good job Guys!!! Can’t wait!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 1:20 pm said:

I won’t make any promises in case it doesn’t work out, but we are looking to add steering wheel support for MotorStorm Apocalypse. It will come down to whether we can make it work well and ensure that it enhances the racing experience. :-)

+ sick111one on January 26th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

Well I have a 3dtv and I am excited. And I also know about 3-4 others that them as well.

+ syk1288 on January 26th, 2011 at 11:01 am said:

I haven’t been interested in Motorstorm till this new one.

+ AntiBeru on January 26th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

Looks amazing. 3-D effect is bonkers.
I’m glad there’s a Motorstorm game that’s mostly urban environments. First day buy!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 1:44 pm said:

Mostly urban environments, but there’s plenty of variety in the city: From residential backyards to business districts, beachfronts to the tops of skyscrapers, subways to highways – it’s an extremely diverse setting, shaken up by the epic real-time earthquakes. We hope to see you on day one!

Matt Southern's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on January 26th, 2011 at 1:49 pm said:

*Mostly* urban environments, but there’s plenty of vairety; from residential backyards to business districts, beachfronts to the tops of skyscrapers, subways to highways, etc. – the city is an extremely diverse setting, rocked to its core as you race by epic real-time earthquakes.

Hope to see you on day one!

+ Enforcer_X on January 26th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

I knew Sony wouldn’t let my XBR-52HX909 go to waste!
Downloading the 3D video when I get home!

+ KidCommando on January 26th, 2011 at 11:22 am said:

Don’t have a 3D TV yet, but definitely will be getting this game. Too much tasty mayhem to pass up.

+ SpyDudeFX on January 26th, 2011 at 11:36 am said:

Are we getting the PS Home item that they just added to the European pre-order offer?

The Carbon Edition Superbike Pack includes: exclusive superbike, PlayStation Home costume, XMB dynamic theme, XMB wallpaper and vehicle design stickers.

+ MK24ever on January 26th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

Will there be an option for regular 3D? RED/Cyan glasses? I know it’s not as good, but for us without the chance to buy 3D TVs that would be nice…

+ halophiliac on January 26th, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

volumetric display cylinder? Head mounted display? You can’t do that to me. You can’t drop phrases like that and leave us hanging!

+ twooh on January 26th, 2011 at 12:09 pm said:

I have the last 2. Will buy this one when it’s out. Thanks for the video.

+ ShadowOfEden on January 26th, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

I played the updated to 3D Motorstorm and it was pretty awesome. However, I just changed my 720p with the most kickass 1080p TV I could find, so I’m not changing it for a 3DTV anytime soon!

+ Link01 on January 26th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

Previous footage for this game has been great in 3D… unfortunately this footage didn’t do it justice. It seemed.. a little bland in my opinion. I do wish to play a 3D demo though. You guys should also consider releasing this game via PSN download like 3D Rift *but the full game with trophies * :D

+ pickupdoctor on January 26th, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

@KineticArtist

You are lame. You have no idea what you are talking about. If you have seen AVATAR or ALICE in WONDERLAND in 3D then you have not experienced 3D in its glory yet.

Same goes for Motorstorm 3D, I have the game and so far this is the most amazing use of 3D technology. I have all other 3D titles Wipeout HD 3D as well as Stardust HD 3D and those games are so much fun as well.

I honestly can’t wait to see this video in 3D and play the game. I am also looking forward to Killzone 3 in 3D.

AWESOME

+ SaiyanSquirrel on January 26th, 2011 at 12:18 pm said:

Awesome!… You should have a better support for Central America (Honduras, El Salvador, Guatemala, etc)… There is no PSN service available there… But there is Sony official support, also PS3 is a nice selling console in the region (talking in personal experience in Honduras)… As consumers they should get the same benefits of the US costumers I think…

+ TwinDad on January 26th, 2011 at 12:24 pm said:

Want the game, not the 3D.

Seriously ever decade they bring 3D out of the closet. New technology doesn’t make it better. Same gimmicks that get old fast.

*** Oh look “Object x” is coming at me, look out ***

+ PatriotEyez27 on January 26th, 2011 at 12:26 pm said:

PlayStation Meeting 2011 tonight/tomorrow morning!

PSP2?

I hope so!

+ LiLBlueEyes on January 26th, 2011 at 12:31 pm said:

I loved Motorstorm – hated Pacific Rift,,, this one looks pretty good,,, will rent it to see if its a disaster like Pacific Rift was. (No pun intended)

+ adolson on January 26th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

Too bad 3D TVs are overpriced right now, and I just bought a car. I will buy a 3D TV when I don’t have to wear glasses. I already wear glasses, and I hate them, so having to wear two pairs of glasses I will likely hate twice as much.

If you ever see value in supporting racing wheels, I’ll buy a MotorStorm game. Contrary to popular belief, they aren’t just for sims. Burnout Paradise is a good example of that.

+ akab211 on January 26th, 2011 at 12:59 pm said:

It’s a great adition to the franchise!

+ ballagh on January 26th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

Yeah!!! Finally more 3D content in the PSN store. Love playing 3D Rift. Glad to see you are supporting 3D. Racing wheel support would be a great addition to this franchise. Using it in GT5 and NFS bring the game to a whole new level. Keep up the great work, and keep the 3D content coming.

and to the people who think 3D tv is over priced, check the ads, and sonystyle.com They are very afforadable. I bought my 46″ Bravia 240 hz 1080p 3D tv with 2 pairs of glasses, and a sony 3D bluray player for $1100.00 on sale. Tell me that is not afforadable.

+ ballagh on January 26th, 2011 at 1:19 pm said:

An early 3D Plus members demo would be very cool. Rewarding those members who took the leap into 3D early.

Also, are you noticing any lag when testing your online racing in 3D? I swear to god in cod BO when I play 3D multiplayer there is a split second of lag that gets me smoked everytime. 2D I can hold my own pretty well, but in 3D I get killed before I can even return fire. Just curious.

+ Exalted_Knight on January 26th, 2011 at 1:21 pm said:

Love the Motorstorm series!! Buying Day one! Question. Will this have any Playstation Home support for the game like a Motorstormer outfit to unlock or virtual trophy casing for our home space?? Thanks!

+ theultimatenub on January 26th, 2011 at 2:20 pm said:

this is awesome i cant wait to get the game

+ boxmyth on January 26th, 2011 at 3:17 pm said:

3D game trailers are an awesome idea. Keep ‘em coming!

+ VintageOctopus on January 26th, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

If this really is as good as it looks, it may just be the greatest racing game ever.
Well, for me at least. I mean, the number of tracks and the amount of detail put into this is fantastic. If IGN gives it at least an 8, I’m buying it without a second thought.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on January 26th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

The soundtrack sounds rad. I’m looking forward to this.

+ Mobius_124 on January 26th, 2011 at 5:35 pm said:

dont have a 3DTV, just a 3D computer monitor, i just took the video from the PS store, copied it on the USB drive and play it on my PC via Nvidia 3D vision. Awesome.

why cant more companies release more trailers in 3D online? that would be awesome. same with PSN lol. hopefully this starts a Trend. thanks Sony!

+ kingkranz on January 26th, 2011 at 7:44 pm said:

This game looks awesome. TIme to buy a 3D TV for this, Killzone 3 and Uncharted 3.