Driveclub

PS3 System Software Update (v3.56)

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Jan 26, 2011 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

A new PS3 system software update, v3.56, will be released soon. This is a minor update that adds a security patch.

972 Comments

PAGE 1 18 19 20

+ loming1968 on February 7th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

why can’t we get a update that is useful like more codec to play MKV File or rmvb file on ps3, all we ever get is a security patch
ever month and which can be very annoying at times, some of the avi & wmv file on the ps3 says unsupported Data, maybe they should find a way to fix this instead I don’t look forward to update anymore because we get nothing out of it

+ Director2k1 on February 8th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

It really left a very depressing feeling after some hacker took all of my emblems, tittles, SCORE, prestige challenges, kill streak (23) which is not much compare with friends of mine but it was THERE! I DID IT! Is the same feeling of being robbed at you home… I’m very disappointed and hopefully PSN, SONY and INFINITY WARD will address this problem very soon and inform us of any way to redeem the damage done to LEGITIMATE PLAYERS.

+ Generalplot on February 8th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

Homebrew on the Wii can’t be compared with the PS3. The lack of computational horsepower is a big drawback. The PS3 offers so many more possibilities. I’m part of an emulation programming group (which you may or may not have heard of) called PCSX2. We have been developing a PS2 emulator for PC for many years now, and actually have a very stable and compatible emulator running at date (though work is still being done to iron out the small details that remain). Remember the promise at E3 2006 that Sony made? The one where they promised PS2 emulation on all PS3’s, which would offer full HD resolution of PS2 titles on it? Then when the PS3 launched, they hadn’t figured it out, so they shipped whith PS2 hardware embedded in them. Later they software emulated the EE (CPU) of the PS2, but not the GS (GPU). This resulted in all backwards compatible models of the PS3 only being able to upscale a standard definition image to HD resolutions (which looks horrible). Then they dropped backwards compatibility altogether. What a let down.

+ Generalplot on February 8th, 2011 at 1:59 pm said:

My goal as part of the PCSX2 team is to look into ways into bringing our emulator over to the PS3 and do what Sony promised but failed to deliver on: full software emulation of the PS2 on EVERY PS3. If you don’t understand why that’s important. Take a backwards compatible PS3 and play Sly Cooper/God Of War/etc.. on it, then play the remastered PS3 version of that game on the same system. You’ll see right away just what a difference it is. As I said, there’s so much more potential that people fail to consider than piracy.

+ zasamfestin on February 8th, 2011 at 2:39 pm said:

my PS3 is still unusable after 14 days since upgrading my hard drive and upgrading to 3.56. i reformatted my original 40GB since i need to put the firmware there. the problem has been solved for those who have their original unformatted drive. still no statement from Sony for us. i hope the a new firmware will be released soon. i learned my lesson the hard way… upgrade 2 weeks after the release of a new firmware just to be sure

+ GrimRiper on February 11th, 2011 at 12:19 am said:

Mr Lempel if your reading this,

1: make a new firmware patch, where future ps3’s will have the latest firmware…..

2: make the firmware contain a mandatory update to not recognize the new hard drive unless updated first to the new firmware.

3: start bricking ps3’s through psn I’D through the servers and not firmware update.

4: I would like to change the name of my psn I’D, even if it requires a small fee.

+ GrimRiper on February 11th, 2011 at 12:38 am said:

I do not approve piracy, nor homebrew.
I’m tired future patches that are security related….

I want something relevent for a change,
like party and cross game chat like xbox live….

but one that actaully works without ever being disconected.

that’s why my brand will always be sony,
built with quality :)

+ BuZZuh on February 12th, 2011 at 6:59 am said:

Ok folk, I have update 3.56 on my Ps3(fat80). I just checked system update and there is a 3.56 update available for download. Huh? My Ps3 is working fine so I’m worried about updating to a newer version. What am I missing with this 2nd version of this infamous update?

+ APlace4YourHead on February 13th, 2011 at 4:37 pm said:

I paid $350 for my 250gb Sony PS3. I then subscribed to Sony Plastation Plus. A question arises, with all the money I have given them, money I WORKED for, I can not access my system, that I PAID for, the way I want to? What’s wrong with running third party applications on a near-supercomputer? I would REALLY love to know this. Please, Sony, inform me of your logic on this.

+ APlace4YourHead on February 13th, 2011 at 4:38 pm said:

@BuZZuh: That just is a update to fix issues with removing your HDD after the update and it bricking your system. It’s safe, although further removing your freedom of JBing your system.

+ wolverinevsx23 on February 13th, 2011 at 8:17 pm said:

When the hell are we gonna see some of the most requested features…? This is 2011 and we don’t have better communication for PSN such as cross-game chat, voice messaging, auto syncing trophies, invisible mode…?

+ twinankhs on February 13th, 2011 at 8:50 pm said:

Please can someone answer this — Is it safe to go in the Water Yet? I have an original PS3 60 Gig with PS2 Compatibility. What will happen if I update to the latest Firmware 3.56? Will the Blue Ray Drive Burst into flames or otherwise stop working? Has this issue been resolved? Please let me know!! Thanks!!

+ Venom1976 on February 13th, 2011 at 10:05 pm said:

Go ahead and update. I did and I have the same model PS3 as you and It’s still alive.

+ twinankhs on February 13th, 2011 at 11:34 pm said:

Are you sure it didn’t wreck it? I can’t afford to buy another one and this one is the SACD and PS2 compatible one…. it didn’t disable the PS2 compatibility did it?

+ twinankhs on February 13th, 2011 at 11:35 pm said:

Does your Blu-Ray player still work?

+ JET246 on February 14th, 2011 at 7:57 pm said:

I have PS3 60GB from way back

it still works…

I played a PS2 game on it just a couple days ago

+ xA3Bz on February 16th, 2011 at 2:23 am said:

thank Jesus finally no mw2 challenge lobbies i was going to buy an xbox 360

+ Jerry_Sizzla on February 17th, 2011 at 12:51 pm said:

This has caused alot of people to lose Blu-Ray functionality, some security patch. Games and Blu-Ray movies no longer load, DvD loads just fine though. Please look into this Eric Lempel.

+ black5f on February 17th, 2011 at 3:45 pm said:

Thanks hackers. And hope the forthcomming MW2 patch does something. Games unplayable, changed my level, invincible teams, whats the point? If you can’t play without cheating, don’t play. Hope you’re pleased, get a life.

+ Dirty_Danty on February 24th, 2011 at 12:28 pm said:

GREAT i download and install 3.56 and now i keep getting errors when i try to sign onto PSN

+ VampyreLegion on February 24th, 2011 at 4:22 pm said:

A new patch is coming out in March, we must all wait.. right now the newest patch is 3.56 v2
make sure you update to 3.56v2 if you are going to do any hard drive related stuff.

If you are not doing any hard drive related stuff or online stuff I would wait for the newest patch in March,

I have 3 playstations 3’s and 2 are running 3.56v2 without any issues. but one ended up having a problem with the upgrade 3.56v1 and a hard drive swap and is bricked untill the new release in March.

hope this info helps