Far Cry 4

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All the early details

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 27, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Next Generation Portable: Front

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Now, the technical specs:

CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Location Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Software Franchises shown or talked about at PlayStation Meeting 2011 (titles are not final)

• Killzone
  • Uncharted
  • WipEout
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Call of Duty
  • Resistance
  • Little Deviants
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

491 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 2 3 10

+ IvanDoomer on January 27th, 2011 at 12:50 am said:

This backward compatibility is a mess, I have more than 50 UMDs that’s not supported in NGP (PSP2)

+ CoolPrizes4Free on January 27th, 2011 at 12:50 am said:

CrunchyRoll.com wants to make a video app (similar to HULU/Netflix)

Could you direct them to the correct people? Thanks!

+ tk_0822 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:50 am said:

is this photo the actual size of the machine? http://www.flickr.com/photos/playstationblog/5391827043/in/photostream/#/photos/playstationblog/5391827043/in/photostream/lightbox/

It seems pretty close to it

+ Sveznajko on January 27th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

Any info on the batteries/battery life ?

+ tk_0822 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:51 am said:

nm…it should be bigger

+ Kchow23 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

battery life?

+ Butters360 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

I just need the price!

+ lcmnick on January 27th, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

Thia thing is going to cost a fortune…

+ WrekGar on January 27th, 2011 at 12:52 am said:

I have died and the NGP info has brought me back to LIFE!!

The Blog Stalker

+ Microshock on January 27th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

I don’t know why people expected UMD to be supported when Sony has said their next devices wouldn’t have it. It’s a bad format, it needlessly wastes battery, has slow loading and is bulky to carry around.

But this device is bigger than the original PSP which is pretty weird, you guys should try to shrink it down..

+ JamesTSkywalker on January 27th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

In addition to the games/franchises listed, it was awesome to see Jak and Sly Cooper pop up in the “World is in your Hands” commercial, even if that is only promoting the backwards compatibility.

+ And89LB on January 27th, 2011 at 12:53 am said:

amazing handheld cant wait
hope infamous gets added to that list

+ Brameriz on January 27th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

Hmm let’s see how much it cost #TeamBON

+ steven_bodner on January 27th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

@IvanDoomer

I expect there will be an attachment UMD reader. Sleek and easy to carry.

+ Snuter on January 27th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

Thanks for staying up late and the great coverage Jeff. I’m excited for this. Looks like I can kijiji my PSP Go. I kinda feel sorry for the kid that is gonna buy it… little does he know that this new PSP2 is going to blow it away! (Well, not too sorry – I did pay $250 for it.)

+ Zvarri on January 27th, 2011 at 12:54 am said:

802.11b/g/n. I know it’s not the most impressive feature in this whole package, but seriously, THANK YOU for finally catching up to the wireless spec of present day!

I hope this device has developers excited and thinking of crazy new ideas for all these inputs!

+ smokeyjoey8 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:55 am said:

So I can for sure play PSP games i’ve purchased on PSN through my PSP on my new NGP when it comes out? No rebuying my games?

+ Spinout209 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:55 am said:

Will there be 3D games for it?

+ BrownMint on January 27th, 2011 at 12:55 am said:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!
this device is pretty awesome. The ergonomics are good and the interface is revolutionary.

+ kklsid on January 27th, 2011 at 12:56 am said:

Still no word concerning battery life. Guess that means “it’s as horrible as it gets”.

+ IvanDoomer on January 27th, 2011 at 12:57 am said:

@steven_bodner

If they offer something like an attachment UMD reader it will solves all problem, but I think that’s not coming.

We r still waiting a similar solution for PS2 disks on PS3.

+ AddisonW on January 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

Time to stop complaining about dual analog sticks.

Time to start complaining about triple analog sticks.

+ kklsid on January 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

@BrownMint
“The ergonomics are good and the interface is revolutionary.”

And how on earth would you know THAT. By looking at pictures?

+ WoolySpud on January 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

Backwards Compatibility isn’t a huge issue to me… I still have my PSP’s if i want to play my UMD Title.

+ KazeEternal on January 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

Battery life? DS3 compatibility? PS3/Any Headset compatibility? No HDMI mini port? Internal Storage? Extendable storage (please say dual Micro SD’s)? Do the Analog sticks press in? Trade in program for UMD titles? Price reduction on PSP downloads (I may have to rebuy some UMD’s even if there is a trade in program)? RAM? Interchangeable battery? Flux Capacitor?

+ sabot37 on January 27th, 2011 at 12:58 am said:

This is so awesome! Great job keeping the design a secret. Don’t sweat people complaining about UMD’s, that’s like whining about the PS3 not playing cassette tapes

+ jumpbutton on January 27th, 2011 at 12:59 am said:

Hey, Sony, get Activision and team up for a new Crash Bandicoot on this [DELETED]. I’m tired of waiting for them to do it theirselves.

Also, Jak and Ratchet and Sly.

i hope this doesnt sound too [DELETED], I just really love platformers

+ konarkanuck on January 27th, 2011 at 1:00 am said:

Now, just scratching my head here on this but the detail “NGP will be able to play PSP titles” is this to say that we’re going to only have access to the PSP titles that are already offered for download in the Playstation Store? or are we looking at a possible usb connected UMD reader that will allow users to copy their UMD titles to the hard drive of their PS3 and then sync them to the NGP in much the same way as PS1 titles currently sync to the PSP?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Sid Shuman on January 27th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

PSN titles. From the post above: “NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.”

+ KazeEternal on January 27th, 2011 at 1:01 am said:

@23
That’s great for you, but I’m not hauling two portables where ever I go just so I can play my UMD games. Lucky for me I anticipated this due to the insanity over UMD’s that I started buying downloads for certain titles I knew I’d want to keep. Unfortunately the downloads aren’t keeping pace with the UMD prices. 40 dollars for Tekken 6 on the store yet I just got the UMD for 10 dollars off Amazon.com not to long ago (regularly 20 dollars) and unfortunately this isn’t an isolated case.

I just hope these flash sticks are cheap and have a large enough capacity.

+ kklsid on January 27th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

@KazeEternal

Cheap flash sticks? From Sony?
Guess not.

+ AngleofDeath696 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

Finally you give us something we want. Today was a good a day. Thanks Sony.

+ SpitFireAce on January 27th, 2011 at 1:03 am said:

Begibes help me…. Sony i love you…:)

+ Ryupyroa on January 27th, 2011 at 1:04 am said:

So, would backwards compatability mean we get to see more PS1 and PS2 games? Or would that just be other PSP games?

I would love to see some Ratchet and Clank, some Jak, and some of the better classics from previous consoles.

Loving the horse power thing this has in it though. The fact that you can port some PS3 games really means a lot for a someone obsesses with graphics, like me.

+ Uzumaki_Ichigo on January 27th, 2011 at 1:05 am said:

System looks awesome. Cant wait for the further releases. Also must do something about the UMD transfers for backwards compatibility. Also CrunchyRoll.com wants to make a video app (similar to HULU/Netflix)
Could you direct them to the correct people? Thanks!

+ JHS200 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:07 am said:

NGP will spank 3DS like a runaway circus monkey.

+ Vex_Doppel on January 27th, 2011 at 1:07 am said:

Any sorta PS3 connectivity? I’d love to be able to access my Netflix and movies I have downloaded to the system. As of right now the PSP can’t do much in conjuction with the PS3.

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 27th, 2011 at 1:09 am said:

Uncharted, Killzone, Resistance game support?! This will be awesome!

+ Kchow23 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:09 am said:

so how big is the NGP and how thin/thick is it?

+ shystie1 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:10 am said:

Cool Bluetooth so I might be able to connect it to my cell phone for a internet connection. Bluetooth 2.1+EDR but I would have liked Bluetooth v3.0 + HS

The CPU – ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core) operates at 2GHz. Not as powerful as the PS3 but it’s a BEAST!!!

+ whitwhit on January 27th, 2011 at 1:12 am said:

wow i have to say these new handhelds are going to have a tough time winning the market. any details on how backwards compatibly will work?

+ JLP_M on January 27th, 2011 at 1:12 am said:

Its just strange seeing Handhelds evolve. Holding a Gameboy Color right now and just looking at it and this.

+ Ckff71up on January 27th, 2011 at 1:14 am said:

I have a serious question to ask: Where will the actual space be stored for games, game saves, apps, etc. Will it be on the actual NGP through a Harddrive or will it be on a memory stick/flash stick or usb stick..etc?

+ Maurisio on January 27th, 2011 at 1:15 am said:

Any word if there going to be an extension on how many devices can be connected..I have a psp go and had two psp hooked up to my account but one was stolen so im stuck with two and no way to incorporate a 3rd psp into my account.

+ OveReAction on January 27th, 2011 at 1:17 am said:

A freaking mixed iPhone, Android, Vaio Portable, and DSi! That’s one helluva beast! :D

+ jayrockslife on January 27th, 2011 at 1:18 am said:

1. This is AWESOME. woke up to use the bathroom and saw 15 new notifications on ny twitter app lol
2. I wish there was some umd to digital trade program.. I just got a new psp last summer and haven’t even finished MGS:PW, GOW:GOS, or KH:BBS yet…
3. Will NGP games be released on any dirt of physical media, or are we going the PSPgo route again? You do know there are more people that like game cases with artwork and actual game discs/cards than there are people that like downloading off the psn, right?
Don’t get me wrong, digital distribution is great, but not when it costs more than the actual game and you dont get a case and artwork to go with it..

+ AJBS0NIC on January 27th, 2011 at 1:21 am said:

I was hoping the NGP would retain the PSPgo form…

+ sabot37 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:21 am said:

3G connectivity + Qriocity Music Unlimited = welcome to the future. Thank you, we will finally be able to have access to (almost) every song, anywhere. This is obviously gonna happen, please just package it with the PS+ subscription to keep things easy.

+ ProjectInfiniti on January 27th, 2011 at 1:26 am said:

This is Sony here: Proprietary accessories.

And again, something tells me this won’t have every feature listed, otherwise I REALLY hope a big enough battery can stand up against this.

+ ATOMS11 on January 27th, 2011 at 1:26 am said:

I can’t believe the ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core) Part! This thing is absolutely a bully in the mobile game!

+ jayrockslife on January 27th, 2011 at 1:26 am said:

Wow.. I typed out a comment on my iPod and it failed to post.. Awesome.

This is AWESOME news btw. Need some kind of UMD transfer/trade program though!!

PAGE 1 2 3 10