Final Fantasy XV

Jan 27

Jan 27

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All the early details

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Sr. Social Media Manager

Next Generation Portable: Front

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Now, the technical specs:

CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Location Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

• Killzone
  • Uncharted
  • WipEout
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Call of Duty
  • Resistance
  • Little Deviants
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

Add Your Own

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 10

spideyal said:

January 27th, 8:43 am

Can’t wait to hear more on this one.

And people can stop complaining now. It really does get annoying when something really cool comes out, but a ton of negative children need to comment. Keep your negativity to yourself. Nobody wants to hear it here.

PointBlank771 said:

January 27th, 8:45 am

This is one sexy piece of hardware! just let me know when it releases and I’m getting one. SOLD!!!

EvilAbdy said:

January 27th, 8:47 am

Soooo, who at Sony should I give my money to?

Chubcorp said:

January 27th, 8:48 am

Will there be Gorilla Glass? I hate to use a protective piece of plastic with air bubbles and crap.

CaruthK said:

January 27th, 8:50 am

Now no one can say SONY does not listen. They put in everything we asked for & more. Now I want to know how much storage does it have on board? 16GB, 32GB or 64GB

ElektroDragon said:

January 27th, 8:54 am

Dual sticks, 4 cores, Multi-touch OLED AND Trophies?!?!? Ok I’m sold…. I’m SOLD! It doesn’t matter that I rarely play portables or that my DSi XL and PSP gather dust… I AM SOLD!

HiTmAn0769 said:

January 27th, 8:54 am

This is amazing!!! Thank you SONY for giving us Hard core PlayStation fans EXACTLY what we want!

@people talking about their UMD’s, just keep your PSP!

Honestly I don’t buy new systems to play OLD games, so I couldn’t care less about UMDs right now, my PSP plays them just fine.

NGP is going to be amazing and I like EVERYTHING about it!!!

WOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

I’m so pumped up!

Oh, and I don’t care what the price is, day one purchase for me, considering importing from Japan!!!

deathbytarro said:

January 27th, 8:54 am

Probably Sony will be pushing DD with BC of PSP.

Sc4tt3rbr4in said:

January 27th, 8:59 am

The ultimate feature would be: playing a PS3 game at home, and having it sync to PSP so u can pickup your progress on the go. Awesum.

ElektroDragon said:

January 27th, 8:59 am

I want a UMD reader and a mini-HDMI port!!

hush404 said:

January 27th, 9:04 am

I have most of my PSP games on UMD… but w/e, I’ll just keep my PSP if I want to play those :P Totally pumped to see PSP2 coming along (and don’t act like you’re not going to call it that :P)

depward said:

January 27th, 9:05 am

I am a huge, huge, huge PSP fan. And this just made my day. Looks HOT!

PsychoG said:

January 27th, 9:07 am

Will it be 599?????????? sounds good today but will it sound good by the time it launches?

OCDog45 said:

January 27th, 9:09 am

with all that feature you have to ask yourself whats the price?

THA-BEST88 said:

January 27th, 9:11 am

cant wait!!! when is the release date

krae_man said:

January 27th, 9:11 am

Everyone needs to give up on the UMD transfer thing. Sony already said with the PSP Go “yes we will offer something…wait actually no we’re not doing that”. So, to expect it now with the PSP2 is just dumb. We lost that battle, Sony doesn’t care, move on.

Now Sony as for “battery life as good as the PSP”. Who decided the PSP had good enough battery life? It doesn’t.

Also, 18.6mm thick not including the sticks? that’s way WAY too thick. The PSP Go thickness is the max it should have been.

Oh well, at least you got something right and announced a new Hot Shots Golf. It’s about damn time on that one.

bowling_ninja said:

January 27th, 9:12 am

i admit it: this looks awesome.

Dafreakzo said:

January 27th, 9:14 am

Why such a childish looking GUI? Even the 3Ds’s interface looks more organized and not made by a group of kindergarten students…I certainly hope they change that.

sharpshoot said:

January 27th, 9:20 am

Whats the max gig on the flash cards and what is the res of the oled screen is it 1920x1080P ?

sharpshoot said:

January 27th, 9:23 am

wow I just seen that its not even 720p what a bummer : /

Moosehole said:

January 27th, 9:25 am

“Yours for only $599 us dollars.”

risenfromnothin said:

January 27th, 9:27 am

Awesome!! I haven’t bought a PSP as of yet but seeing the specs on this one and now having 2 analog sticks this one will be a must buy.

TheTwelve said:

January 27th, 9:27 am

I’m must logging in to say that I’ll be buying the opening SECOND I can. Thanks.

TheTwelve said:

January 27th, 9:28 am

Excuse me. I’m JUST* logging in to say that I’m buying it the SECOND it comes out. Thanks.

gus_xl said:

January 27th, 9:33 am

Thanks. Can’t wait for it to come out!

TallCrowe said:

January 27th, 9:37 am

It looks nice enough.

PsychoG said:

January 27th, 9:37 am

They didn’t even mention games pricing …wow Sony can blow smoke up peoples asses and fanboys go wild.

DZORMAGEN said:

January 27th, 9:43 am

Sony needs a trade program for the UMD to PSN Code transaction! I have a lot of UMDs, and I want to be able to play them on this new device. It should be an even exchange I give my UMD to Sony, and they give me the PSN code for the game, really simple and easy. IF this does not happen, I wont buy this device! Price is also a key to me buying this.

This launch for the NGP can be either:

Not Going to Purchase or Now Going to Purchase

sharpshoot said:

January 27th, 9:45 am

how come they dont go 720p its almost at that res pretty strange

perrandy said:

January 27th, 9:51 am

huge concerns for me about this next psp are:
1)price
2)overheating(because of the strong processor)
3)battery life

because of this i shall not be an early adopter of this device.meanwhile, i’m gonna keep enjoying my psp 1000 thank you very much!

remanutd5 said:

January 27th, 9:53 am

i saw 2 sackboys on the little big planet video , how many will be able to play at the same time ? 4 like the ps3? Killzone , Resistance video footage looked really good , who is developing those games ? Guerrilla Games and Insomniac Games ? what about Uncharted , live stage demo and video footage left me speechless , is Naughy Dog behind development ? im really liking the new way to play games like Little Deviants and Hot Shot Golf , really really impressed with everything , i cant wait !!!

Superstrokey1123 said:

January 27th, 10:00 am

Ok so im going to make a few assumptions here. Im assuming netflix is goign to work with it and that there will be 16 + gigs of internal memory right?

HolmWrecker said:

January 27th, 10:01 am

Oh man, this is exciting. Can’t wait to get one. I’ll trade off my old PSP in an instant to get this one. Impressive specs. Curious to see how the touch pad on the back is implemented. Could be my first camp-out for a new toy.

Superstrokey1123 said:

January 27th, 10:01 am

@218, read the specs man. Its right there

sharpshoot said:

January 27th, 10:02 am

you can bet the price will be 199 or 250 there is no way it would be more then that

ArmyOf12Monkeys said:

January 27th, 10:03 am

I hope the flash memory is not the Sony memory sticks as they are expensive compared to other flash memory cards.

remanutd5 said:

January 27th, 10:04 am

ohh and Wipeout sixaxis functionality is looking really kool !!!!

iTofuMan said:

January 27th, 10:10 am

ok all the tech is fine, but i want to know about games. i buy a portable gaming system to play games not to tell people about all the tech inside the thing.

Seriously though from the way you guys have been supporting the psp i dont think ill purchase this anytime soon. your neglection towards the psp (mainly Go) is terrible So many games still not on the psn. i guess with this coming out we will see even far less support for the psp?

MusicMan05 said:

January 27th, 10:21 am

Will the friends and trophy list tie into our existing PS3 lists or will it be separate?

DaWinkster said:

January 27th, 10:21 am

Ps Home??

TwinDad said:

January 27th, 10:24 am

I’m sure at E3 the specs and other details will be known. But I’m curious about the flash ram and if it’s upgradeable. And if upgradeable please tell me it uses an actual universal standard.

fleinn said:

January 27th, 10:27 am

“Software Franchises shown or talked about at PlayStation Meeting 2011 (titles are not final)

WipEout”

No, you fired those guys – remember? The makers of one of the best video-games ever. The guys who innovated an old title for a next-generation console, without resorting to buzzwords, super-power fantasies, PR blitzes, and the usual waffling about?

krae_man said:

January 27th, 10:27 am

Dear Sony, please negotiate a “PSN doesn’t count against your data cap” feature for the 3G plans with the service providers.

The last thing you want is people browsing the store and seeing “Oh cool X game…Wait 1.5gb? I’ll buy it when I get home”. Because they won’t buy it when they get home. If you create too many hurdles to customers giving you money, they won’t give you any money.

Wikiality said:

January 27th, 10:29 am

Here are some minor things I would change…

1. I would center the screen so that it’s a little bit closer to the bottom. The current screen has a rather large bezel on the bottom part and no bezel at all on top, if the screen is moved slightly lower so that it’s at the dead center of the device, it would look better. Doing this requires the “Sony Playstation” branding text be made smaller and less conspicuous (which is fine, Apple never really has much branding on their devices and they do just fine).

2. I would put “Sony” and “Playstation” together next to each other in the same location using the same font, so that text (branding) only appears on the device in one centered location rather than in two.

3. I would make the device slightly less oval and more rectangular. This probably won’t happen, but imo, it would look better if the device wasn’t quite so oval.

4. I would indent the analog sticks slightly inward so that they are concave. I think this would make them more comfortable, but it’s possible I’m wrong.

5. I would implement cross platform play and a unified profile between the PS3 and the PSP2 version of Call of Duty with your ranking, achievements and unlocks carrying over between both.

megamixer said:

January 27th, 10:29 am

That thing is hideous. After the amazing design of the PSP Go, Sony pulls this ugly thing out of where exactly?

DOOMkillz said:

January 27th, 10:33 am

just checked on gamestop for the price
it says i can pre-order it for $999.99
thanks, but no thanks….

Wikiality said:

January 27th, 10:33 am

Here are some minor things I would change…

againes said:

January 27th, 10:34 am

I think that the PS, Start, and Select buttons should be moved possibility by the [PlayStation]logo. They look like that they can easily be pressed on accidentally from the thumb joints when using the thumb sticks. :o

ECKILLZONE said:

January 27th, 10:34 am

i don’t think such a thing will be answered here but what of storage, will there be a built in hdd and if so how much space for data will it contain

PAGE 1 3 4 5 6 7 10