Far Cry 4

Next Generation Portable (NGP): All the early details

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar + Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Jan 27, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

Next Generation Portable: Front

Today in Tokyo, Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. announced the next generation portable entertainment system (codename: NGP). NGP will make its debut at the end of the 2011, but here’s everything you need to know right now.

Key NGP features:

• Multi-touch 5-inch organic light emitting display (OLED) as the front display
  • Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device
  • Dual analog sticks
  • Two cameras (front and rear)
  • Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards
  • Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass
  • Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity
  • PlayStation Network access, including ““LiveArea™”, “Near” and “Activity” log features Trophy Support
  • NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics, video and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Now, the technical specs:

CPU ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
GPU SGX543MP4+
External Dimensions Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)
Screen
(Touch screen)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Rear touch pad Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Cameras Front camera, Rear camera
Sound Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Sensors Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Location Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Keys / Switches PS button
Power button
Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)
Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)
Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)
Right stick, Left stick
START button, SELECT button
Volume buttons (+/-)
Wireless communications Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1) (Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

Software Franchises shown or talked about at PlayStation Meeting 2011 (titles are not final)

• Killzone
  • Uncharted
  • WipEout
  • LittleBigPlanet
  • Call of Duty
  • Resistance
  • Little Deviants
  • Hot Shots Golf
  • Reality Fighters
  • Gravity Daze
  • Smart As
  • Broken
  • Hustle Kings

It’s still early going, so we understand that you likely have questions not addressed here. Details such as release date, price, and more will be announced in due course. We’ll keep you updated.

491 Comments   1 Reply

PAGE 1 6 7 8 9 10

+ trapper12 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:23 pm said:

Jeff/Sid,

Is this gonna be available this year worldwide or just Japan when it launches?

+ remanutd5 on January 27th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

NGP should last 7 -10 gameplay hours not 4 -6 sony

+ Culoslap on January 27th, 2011 at 2:36 pm said:

I would really like it if I could access my PSN titles that I’ve purchased for my PS3. I would love to play Shatter, Castle Crashers, Peggle, Super Stardust HD et al. on the go. Even better if it could save my progress and trophies. I would buy it just for that, no matter the cost.

Eleven months in the tech world is a long time so I have no doubt Sony will improve upon this in some way. Like making it more cost effective and improving battery life, which everyone won’t stop complaining about. I can’t wait to hear and see more at E3.

+ mi33ke on January 27th, 2011 at 2:45 pm said:

Why so late for a release date?? Holiday 2011 just seems to loooonnnnggggg. By that time the 3DS will be a big hit and you know apple is going to come strong with Ipod Touch 5g and Iphone 5. I think maybe a may or june release date would have been better.

+ Keozen on January 27th, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

@352
I’m sure sony is trying their best to get most out of the battery.
Unless you want 3DS’s play gameplay hour of 3 to 5 hours?

+ Igoo_or_Zok on January 27th, 2011 at 2:47 pm said:

I really look forward to this. I will be buying the 3G version.

+ Rookie_Style on January 27th, 2011 at 2:55 pm said:

Im speechless. The specs are amazing, especially the new live area os, awesome!

Hope this thing isn’t going to completely empty my wallet tho :x Hope the price range is close to the 3ds :/

+ yourluvryourzero on January 27th, 2011 at 2:57 pm said:

I’m sure it will be way over priced. Heck, the PSP is still overly expensive.
Sony, don’t pull a PSP (mostly watered down PS2 games) the first 3-4 years.
By that I mean, give me freaking original games. I do not want PS3 franchises.

+ Rookie_Style on January 27th, 2011 at 2:57 pm said:

@354

The iphone 4/ipod touch 4 is relatively new, there is no chance that a new one will come out anytime soon.

+ yourluvryourzero on January 27th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

@359

Don’t be so sure.

iphone – 2007
iphone 3g – 2008
iphone 3gs -2009
iphone 4 – 2010

+ digitalman123 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:02 pm said:

Nice lineup. Awesome look. Dual analog…
Can we see demos of some games?

+ djroberts on January 27th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

I’m concerned about it. Doesn’t look comfortable to hold, the right stick looks to be too close to the buttons. You need to get the basics down before worrying about touch sensitive, etc…

What’s the price going to be? I’d prefer a smaller console, more comfortable… If it’s priced 250 or lower and turns out it is comfortable then I’ll likely buy one.

+ digitalman123 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

Is it all digital? Does it have discs, special download cards, or straight-PSN download? I’ll probably get it, but I would like disc-type stuffs or UMD-transfer-cable-or-something OR you can buy those redeemable cards for games.
PLEEEEEEASE make it download redeem card only.

+ JumperPrime on January 27th, 2011 at 3:10 pm said:

Will MediaGo eventually be updated to be compatible with the NPG or will we need to use something else to load our videos, tunes, and PSN games onto the NPG?

+ Wolf2482 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:21 pm said:

This sounds awesome even better than I hoped.

+ Sargonarhes on January 27th, 2011 at 3:25 pm said:

I like what I see, but how do I get any Gundam games from Japan for it? I rather like the Gundam vs. Gundam games on my PSP, and like that I can buy Japanese games at some anime conventions. This kind of ruins that kind of thing.

+ Vabor on January 27th, 2011 at 3:26 pm said:

The specs have me sold. Nice work Sony.

+ cprulez89 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

Definitely buying, glad to see there is a friends list for online gaming too!

+ spaceboy066 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

this sucks i have a psp go i just bought it and i just read this post now i have to buy a new psp this sucks

+ Breezy2x7 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:28 pm said:

dang i need to get that new psp it’s just awesome….

+ irsd1796 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:36 pm said:

Heres my credit card #. just take the money and give it to me!!!

+ palancar on January 27th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

The UI looks nice and all, but would like to see it remain the same to match the PS3, at least if they make a non 3G one. Hope there’s more interaction between PSP and the PS3 gamingwise too.

+ DAVER38 on January 27th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

what about umd games this one sucks like the other one with only online games.Sont needs to rethink there choice about this product before letting this out what the hell is going on first
suareenix with final fantasy and sony with there handheld whats next new company with the name sintendo.

+ NotoriousGamer on January 27th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

for god sakes add in 3D and dualshock 3 support in the psp2.

+ footballrule on January 27th, 2011 at 3:55 pm said:

Would be nice to get PS Home on this! :p

+ smokey_vols on January 27th, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

The only thing holding it back is no internal memory. All those features and not even 16gb inside like the PSP Go? Well it’s a great portable anyways. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep will have to be added to the PS Store.

+ GLO13L_T3RROR on January 27th, 2011 at 4:01 pm said:

I am totally sold, forget the 3DS. Hope the battery life is good and the price is reasonable.

+ linux731 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:05 pm said:

call of duty on portable? Not DS? I WANT ONE NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ Street_Killaz on January 27th, 2011 at 4:07 pm said:

Pre-Order coming!! Cant wait!!

+ pureluck13 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

My mind was blown, thank you for listening to just about everything fans asked for that was a brilliant idea. Im already sold, where do i sign?

+ wolfzero1 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

glad to see dual analog appear finally. it was really frustrating to try to play games like Chains of Olympus, the Ratchet & Clank game, etc only having the one nub. the game line-up looks pretty cool, can’t wait to see what the Uncharted title could be. if the price isn’t too high, & considering how overpriced the Go was I’m not holding my breath, I would definitely get it.

+ Fisper on January 27th, 2011 at 4:19 pm said:

Say frankly,The new ngp is really powerful but the important thing is how many and when sony will release that!

+ jose213jose on January 27th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

love it

+ thrawn3d on January 27th, 2011 at 4:22 pm said:

I love everything about it.

You probably just took a guy away from buying 3DS.

+ SKOT_FREE on January 27th, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

@373…..Dude you must cannot read! It says games will be on a memory stick type media, not that all games will be only DL from psn. I’m sure You’ll have a choice like certain games on PSN now for PSP.

+ gameterminater on January 27th, 2011 at 4:35 pm said:

If It Can Play Ps3 Games, That We Have In The Cases At Our Homes, Would Be Amazing !:D

+ Permafry_42 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

Will there be a cheaper non-3g or wifi only ngp? 3g is expensive, and it would be grat for those of us who are against paying for online, which would be required in order to use the ngp if there isn’t a non 3g model of the system

+ eaglefan129 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

I got a question can is this another console that won’t have a UMD back? thats the one trade off of the psp go. no UMD. Or is it a totally different media thing?

+ darthlego on January 27th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

When can we get videos of the games? Especially LBP?

+ KILLZONE79 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

this ones better i’ll get this one instead of PSPgo no offense sony PSPgo did have a good run which i do have but now i havent used it as much. maybe this new PSP will change my mind :)

+ iChileen on January 27th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

Cool, but it needs a build in microphone that is compatible for online gaming. It will bring the social part back to online gaming. For example on ps3 games not everyone has a microphone. So if u play call of duty on psp2 you never have a reason, to not answer another player.

Oh yeah and one little thing: sony please give us the abbility to change or psn name at least once..!

+ jeep_2003 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:51 pm said:

Looks auwsome. How much is this baby going to cost ?!?

+ Keyeszx on January 27th, 2011 at 4:52 pm said:

I don’t see a point in a second joystick, those that complained are just stupid. We never needed one.

Now to the real reason I commented. I’m hoping the NGP will develop farther in terms of software on the actual portable device. The bubble looking design looks kind of kiddy as if you’re trying to go towards Nintendo’s way. So I hope it becomes more solid. Happy to hear about trophies, will they be viewable on the PS3 PSN accounts? Also please allow lots of customization for themes. The more you allow us to do the less likely people are to want to hack it to get custom gameboots, themes, coldboots, etc Man I envy my friend’s PSP.

+ CoolNumber9 on January 27th, 2011 at 4:56 pm said:

Thank you Sony! This is exactly what I would have wanted out of the next PSP, I’m so excited!

+ remanutd5 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:00 pm said:

where are the game videos? come on , give us Uncharted , Little Big Planet , Killzone ,Wipeout , Resistance , Little Deviants , Broken and more Videos !!!!

+ Keysersoze10033 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:02 pm said:

Looking good, keep the price $300 or below and you have yourself a winner.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:08 pm said:

@ lelezi it does
@ chipper same here lol

+ halowars7 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:10 pm said:

Bloody brilliant!

+ SUPERGAMER247 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:33 pm said:

so here it goes sony… I was po’d at the firmware yesterday but no more now. First off, this thing is an epic beast. It’s literally a combination of every handheld. Oh yeah, and don’t expect those suckers at nintendo to win with the 3ds as soon as this comes out. Oh yeah, I might actually start buying full games that come on flash sticks from the psn store because how it is all implemented is amazing ( though I won’t if doesn’t have very much memory).

+ xXiRoNcHaOzXx on January 27th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said: