Driveclub

SOCOM 4 Ships Out April 19th, New Multiplayer Video

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar + Posted by Jeremy Dunham on Jan 27, 2011 // Sr. Community Manager, Zipper Interactive

Everyone here at Zipper Interactive is pleased to announce that the wait will soon be over! As our headline says, SOCOM 4 is scheduled to hit stores in North America in just a few months on April 19th.

Earlier this week at the Zipper headquarters in Redmond, WA, we invited the media and 18 SOCOM community members to check out the latest version of our game. Not only did they get an update on the progress of our single-player campaign, they were also treated to an extensive look at several of our multiplayer modes, which, as any SOCOM fan will tell you, is absolutely the game’s bread and butter.

Early next week, we’ll have another update on the PlayStation and SOCOM blogs to let you know what members of the community thought about their visit to Redmond and their hands-on time with SOCOM 4. In the meantime, we’d love for you to check out our “Not For Self” multiplayer trailer by clicking on the video above.

Also, for you veteran SOCOM fans out there, head on over to GameStop.com and bring back classic SOCOM memories with another new trailer, this one for the GameStop pre-order exclusive “Abandoned” Map!

The good news is that this is just the beginning of an upcoming flood of SOCOM goodness. As we count down the days and weeks to April 19, you can expect plenty of news, details and media to get you hyped up for what we think is the best SOCOM game yet. Enjoy the ride!

+ Demolitio on January 27th, 2011 at 5:54 pm said:

Thanks for the response Jeremy. The character models look really good so there’s no complaints here. Some of the better models I’ve seen in games today.

+ NO_FEAR on January 27th, 2011 at 5:55 pm said:

Can’t wait to see game video from the players perspective.

gg

+ DeadCell34 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:55 pm said:

Dang you Sony! This and Portal 2 are both coming out on my birthday, the 19th. Now I have to decide which one I want. Hmmmmmmmm………..

+ litterature on January 27th, 2011 at 5:57 pm said:

CAN You confirm this date for Europe please ?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 6:00 pm said:

This is just the North American date; other territories will be announced soon.

+ evildude683 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

Is this gonna be the real McCoy or what?

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

never really got into socom, only played demo’s [and a beta] but i may just get this one…

+ King_Cobra_3 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

Hopefully this game is not hackable like Socom Confrontation.

+ Mattsta001 on January 27th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

@Jeremy, cool, 5 player co-op sounds better! Just hope this is full campaign co-op and not a tacked on thing like Uncharted 2’s.

+ Deadly-Survivor on January 27th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

@56 ( King_cobra_3 ) Sony is taking care of hackers and cheaters. Look it up. The court took care of it. The new update for the ps3 was for half of the cheaters so they get banned.

+ TheGlue29 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

@ mountain_duwe Dude…don’t double post your whiney nonsense. Just cry into your pillow; nobody cares.

@ Jeremy Dunham – NICE. Can’t wait. Good lookin out with the Co op, too.

+ IceColdKilla44 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:01 pm said:

Loving the Latin Quote at the end.

“Not for yourself, but for your country.”

+ vza004 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

You guys should bring more co-op FPS games. I’m tired of single FPS games. It’s boring to play on your own on an epic adventure.

+ D-Roca on January 27th, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

Thanks Jeremy,

one more question, will there be a ‘tie break’ round like all previous Socom games made by Zipper?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:03 pm said:

We’re still working on refining how matches end up, but honestly, we don’t want ties to begin with; we want there to be a definite winner every time. We’ll have more on how that’s going to work once we’ve finalized our system for it.

+ Carl-G on January 27th, 2011 at 6:06 pm said:

WOW so it’s –

Jan = LBP2
Feb = KZ3
Mar = MotorStorm:Apocalypse
Apr = SOCOM 4. . .

SONY are the GODS of gaming! ! ! :)

+ Weshzu on January 27th, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

Please announce the details soon before killzone 3 comes out so i could make up my mind to wait and purchase of socom 4 or killzone 3 in the coming weeks.

offline?5 players cop-op nice!
offline?5 player death or team death match as well
offline 2 player story mode would be awesome too 4 than that’s spectacular

+ I_BUDMAN_I on January 27th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

what will be done about all the cheating?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:04 pm said:

Cheating will not be tolerated and we are actively looking into the most effective ways to prevent it.

We have some good ideas too.

+ commanderlewis on January 27th, 2011 at 6:15 pm said:

Socom games were the games i played mostly on my ps2 back in the day. I loved the sp! didn’t do much online, due to not having the online parts for the ps3 :(. I’m an old school socom fan! So kudos for this trailer. We appreciate the hard work! And BTW! love that there’s co-op and love that we get the socom 1& 2 map :) thou you guys should do what GG did with Kz3’s retro map..offer it to all retailers, but give the main ones some other stand out perks.

BTW i would love it, if you can bring back the prison middle eastern map from socom1..man i love that map :)

+ litterature on January 27th, 2011 at 6:16 pm said:

Ok thanks for You answer ;) i hope it’s not 6 month later for Europe (ndlr Socom confrontation)^^

+ KazeEternal on January 27th, 2011 at 6:19 pm said:

” this one for the GameStop pre-order exclusive “Abandoned” Map! ”

umm…. is this going to be sold eventually or is this another dead map? I refuse to do a pre-order for a map that no one has access too, more importantly do business with a store that is likely to cannibalize your sales and everyone else’s with used sales and encourages it with bonus towards used purchases.

+ stove611 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

Any details on what retailers are offering for pre-order bonuses? Or is Gamestop/EB Games the only one with a pre-order bonus?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:06 pm said:

You’ll get the special shotgun as a pre-order bonus just about anywhere. GameStop is the only place you’ll get Abandoned, though.

+ Bloody_Marcel on January 27th, 2011 at 6:22 pm said:

I can’t find the Abandoned video on GameStop site. Perhaps it’s not up yet? I want to see how it looks in SOCOM 4. One of my fav SOCOM maps!

+ dipchit02 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:24 pm said:

You guys would release the game A WEEK after my birthday. If this game is as good as the trailer implied it would be then I am sold. I just hope we do not have another confrontation on our hands, I am just happy to see Zipper at the wheel of this game and I think that it was will turn out really well.

This is the game that I have been waiting for ever since Confrontation was a bust. I was excited about a Socom game on PS3 since I have all of the PS2 games but was not very happy with the way Confrontation was handled at all from the start

+ SHINSPIKES on January 27th, 2011 at 6:24 pm said:

Will there be incentives to earn besides weapons and normal stuff? Not askin for yah to be like infinite ward, but a perks system or abilities is makin replay value so much better. Also any killstreaks, they don’t have to be offensive KS, thinkin different like medal of honors defensive KS. Basically I’m askin what are yah doin different? I mean really really different. Outside the box. Unless you guys are goin for realism again, so non of that will be in right?

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

Like weapon modifications and unlockable skins? Yes

+ Capt-Fury- on January 27th, 2011 at 6:24 pm said:

hey Jeremy, it would be cool to have Cullen on a future playstation heroes pack in Uncharted 3, make it happen!

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

Anything is possible!

+ Insanecyclone on January 27th, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

Any news of the beta included with Killzone 3 or will that come at a later date?

+ SHINSPIKES on January 27th, 2011 at 6:26 pm said:

Oh yeah, yah are in redmond? Dam didn’t know. I wanna work for yah. Or come down for a local early beta test or something. Wanna see the zipper head quarters.

+ XScreamingEagleX on January 27th, 2011 at 6:28 pm said:

can you customize your character in the MP?

when we will be able to see a gameplay video, uncut and unedited?

did you say 5 player coop? oh boy arent i sold!

+ Kewin on January 27th, 2011 at 6:41 pm said:

Please don’t pull a confrontation. I love socom so much and was so sad by that game. This looks promising just give us quick and easy menus to jump in and out. And Get auto match working on day one

+ Pk-Dj on January 27th, 2011 at 6:41 pm said:

Looks like a better, not as complicated MAG. I think I’ll probably buy this title.

+ Hooligantuan on January 27th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

This would be cool if it was an FPS.

+ G-Force08 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:44 pm said:

Just got home to this news. Having a horrible day….

Just made my night :)

+ Skater_Ricky on January 27th, 2011 at 6:45 pm said:

► I’ll let the Beta speak for itself to judge if im going to sink my teeth into something im not even 25% sure about.

Will be rocking out on Killzone 3 before then. Which will be soon. Tell then ill stick with my Little Big Planet 2.

► Tell then here is a Recap:

╭┳━━━━━━━━━━━┳╮
╭┻╯┏━━━━━━━━━┓╰┻╮
┃╭╮┃┈☆ⒽⒺⓁⓁⓄ☆┈ ┃△◯ ┃
┃╰╯┃┈★ⓌⓄⓇⓁⒹ★┈ ┃▢╳┃
┃∭◉┃┈Ⓢ┈Ⓞ┈Ⓝ┈Ⓨ┈ ┃◉┅┃
╰┳♺ ┗━━▃ⓃⒼⓟ▃━━┛╭┳╯
╰┻━━━▬▬▬▬▬━━━┻@PlayStation

+ Mattsta001 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:48 pm said:

You guys should do a tie in with MAG too, like log into MAG and get a SVER skin for SOCOM. Pretty sure a lot of MAG players will also play SOCOM.

+ SPOPS on January 27th, 2011 at 6:48 pm said:

Ok, game trailer looks amazing. However, I really hope that you guys work on the voice acting before the game launches. The voice acting sounds so fake and just unnatural.

+ nYcFrEeWiLL82 on January 27th, 2011 at 6:53 pm said:

ONCE AGAIN..SONY JUST MAKES ME A PROUD OWNER OF THE PS3..5 PLAYER CO-OP..I HOPE THIS IS FOR THE CAMPAIGN OR SPEC OP MISSIONS..SOMETHING THAT MY FAM AND FRIENDS CAN NJOY TOGETHER WITHOUT HAVING TO BE SO COMPETITIVE AMONGST OURSELVES.THANK YOU ZIPPER FOR BRINGING SOCOM BACK TO THE TOP OF ITS GAME.SLANT6 TRIED BUT JUST WASNT GOOD ENUFF :/ NOW LETS BRING BACK THE VEHICLES PLEASE..IM TIRED OF ALL THIS RUNNING AND GUNNING..I WANT TO HAVE PEOPLE RUNNING WHILE IM GUNNING ON THE BACK OF A TRUCK WHILE MY TEAM MATES ARE DRIVING..COMBINED ASSULT STYLE >:P

+ W-8oRd3rPaTr0l-J on January 27th, 2011 at 6:54 pm said:

Please tell me there is splitscreen. Developers are finally getting smart and starting to include it again. People don’t speak with their wallets as much as their mouths because developers don’t care about requests.. its all about the sales figures.

+ torontogoalie on January 27th, 2011 at 6:57 pm said:

looks terrible…. graphics look dated….

+ Aytch_AK-47 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:00 pm said:

Has zipper given any thought into releasing a collectors edition also?

+ ajayghosal on January 27th, 2011 at 7:04 pm said:

When does the beta starts that comes packed in with kz3 jeremy?

+ station3fever on January 27th, 2011 at 7:11 pm said:

WOW! All i can say is “THAT [DELETED] LOOKS HOT” i’m sold :)

+ Justp94 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:26 pm said:

NOOOOOOOO!!!!! TOO MANY GAMES!!!! Sony, Enough! I can’t afford it all!!! :(

+ xDarkSoul on January 27th, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

I dont get why theres no lobby system, i can simply find no explanation for that. And adding people to your friendlist is simply a FIX so theres no excuses. We need our lobbies back, i dont know whats been happening but this is is really screwed up and im pissed about this.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:33 pm said:

We want games to launch quickly and we think players do too. Give it a try in the beta, it works very well.

+ InFaMoUz188 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:41 pm said:

Wow that background music is from valor’s recruitment video.

+ INC06N36R0 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:47 pm said:

Well… there went my whole summer. Thank you Zipper for sucking my life away from other social interactions.

I have to ask though, will there be a lobby system similar to post-Confrontation? Not having the lobby’s in Confrontation really took away from the community vibe that the other editions in the series did well to create.

Also, please say there isn’t any health regen online.

Jeremy Dunham's Avatar

+ Jeremy Dunham on January 27th, 2011 at 8:34 pm said:

Health regen depends on which game mode you’re playing. No health regen in classic, and yes, it’s ranked.

+ xDarkSoul on January 27th, 2011 at 7:49 pm said:

@ INC06N36R0

Got some bad news for you, there is no lobby system. You only got a matchmaking system just like call of duty, how you like that?

+ WarMachine_v1 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:50 pm said:

Jeremey, will there be a party system so I can play matches with friends or will it strictly be clan only party? How many per party?

+ INC06N36R0 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:52 pm said:

@xDarkSoul

What? Really? When was this confirmed?

+ JAD57 on January 27th, 2011 at 7:55 pm said:

this game looks like the [DELETED]. about time something came out to rival COD.

+ ElHaraganRB on January 27th, 2011 at 8:00 pm said:

Splitscreen Co-Op???!!! =)

+ BigPoppaB on January 27th, 2011 at 8:10 pm said:

I know that you’ll NEVER respond to this… but I can’t imagine how pissed off the team at Zipper was over Socom:Confrontation.

It really tainted the name of a great franchise, and has unfortunately, but undoubtedly raised a lot of hesitance from gamers to Socom 4