PS4-The Order

Killzone 3: Behind The Scenes

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar + Posted by Aryeh Loeb on Jan 28, 2011 // Producer, Guerrilla Games

Spanning more than 70 minutes of cutscene footage, the Killzone 3 single player campaign boasts a breathtaking storyline brought to life by some of Hollywood’s finest talents. In this sneak peek at the Killzone 3: Behind The Scenes featurette, which is part of the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition extras, Guerrilla reveals how real-life actors were transformed into virtual characters.

Using state-of-the-art motion capture techniques, the actors’ performances were captured using reflective tracking markers worn on the face and body. Many of the props and characters they were acting off only existed inside the computer, however.

Actor Ray Winstone (Admiral Orlock), who cut his teeth on full-body performance capture in the 2007 movie adaptation of Beowulf, was undaunted by that prospect. ”It’s like going back to school in a way,” he said. “You play the scene, and you start to get your imagination back, you know?”

Co-star Malcolm McDowell (Chairman Stahl), whose video game appearances stretch back to the early nineties, was quite satisfied with the technology. “When I’m 85, I can be doing video games, because they can put a young man’s face over mine,” he joked. “And as long as I don’t do a gravelly voice, I’ll be alright!”

The full Behind The Scenes featurette is an exclusive part of the Killzone 3 Helghast Edition extras. Pre-order your copy today!

PAGE 1 2

+ mywhitenoise on January 28th, 2011 at 9:02 am said:

I’ve never been so hyped for an FPS games, and I hate the FPS genre!

+ jonathan_val on January 28th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

Why no campaing co-op online ???

+ SNEED on January 28th, 2011 at 9:06 am said:

This will be epic for sure!!

+ gosox on January 28th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

Can not wait to play this.

+ PatriotEyez27 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:12 am said:

Less than a month :D

Can’t wait.

+ Busca-Cabezas on January 28th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

Can’t WAIT!! Even after being in the closed beta… I think I just can’t wait any longer… xP

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:19 am said:

We share that feeling!

+ reson8er on January 28th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

Took 2 days off work to play this for 4 days straight! Feb 22nd is gonna be awesome :)

+ Velzorn on January 28th, 2011 at 9:17 am said:

I was pleased to see Ray Winstone being a part of Killzone 3. He’s a great actor (Edge of Darkness, Beowulf, The Proposition, King Arthur, ect.) with a deep distinct gritty voice that will go pefectly with Killzone. Can’t wait!

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

We are very happy that he is a part of the Killzone universe now. Just like Malcolm McDowell and previously Brian Cox.

+ nino1911 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:18 am said:

simply cant not wait for this game huge killzone fan.

+ Draicus on January 28th, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

The cinematics look astonishing. I love Ray Winstone, so that’s a definite bonus.

Any word on who’s voicing Narville?

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

James Remar!

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

I know, it was a lot! But we are really happy with the way it tells the story.

+ radiantshadow92 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

JUST TAKE MY MONEY!!!!

+ Marston43 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

How long is the campaign ?

+ Enforcer_X on January 28th, 2011 at 9:28 am said:

Had the Helghast edition pre-ordered since the moment it was available on Amazon.com.
So close yet so far away …

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:33 am said:

Well it’s not long now. Don’t despair.. :)

+ commanderlewis on January 28th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

James Remar! Raiden plays Narville lol good choice i like James Remar!

+ twistedfloyd on January 28th, 2011 at 9:35 am said:

Gah, this is looking sicker and sicker (in a good way). Been replaying KZ2 and also been playing some online lately getting pumped for this. It looks like you guys are really taking it to the next level with your story.

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

Yes, well that was one of the goals that we set for ourselves. And I think you guys will like what you see.

+ Link01 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

I’m going to try to ask this again, 3rd time is a charm, can you play split screen in 3D?

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

No. Sorry if you felt ignored, I thought that answered long ago.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

I played Killzone 2′s online so much that I got sick of it!! LOL :( But I have KZ3 preordered off Amazon! CAN’T WAIT TO PLAY IT!!!!!!!!!!

+ XKILLER44 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:46 am said:

Got my Helghast edition per-order at gamestop. Give use DLC so I can you more money.

+ XKILLER44 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:46 am said:

Give you

+ gekko1986 on January 28th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

Will there be an option to switch between the old “weighted” feel, and the new set up? I haven’t played the game yet, so I don’t how the game feels, but the old controls are something I really enjoyed about KZ2.

+ El_Hoardo on January 28th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

Question!

I know you have split screen campaign, but is their split screen online multiplayer? And if so, can we use our own PSN IDs?

+ CelicaCrazed on January 28th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

Jim Sonzero rocking a Gurren Lagann shirt!! If they can make the game 1/10th as epic as that show, we’ll be in for an awesome treat!

+ watsuke on January 28th, 2011 at 9:59 am said:

Will i still be blocked from playing online due to my PSN ID? Please answer.

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on January 28th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

Should’ve cut that 70 minutes of cutscene in half and added online co op.

+ KazeEternal on January 28th, 2011 at 10:08 am said:

25 days…… 25 DAYS!!!!… AAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHH lol I’m excited can’t you tell. Going to be spoiled stupid by the Helghast Edition.

+ ballagh on January 28th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

I am so uber excited for this game to drop. 3D with the sharpshooter will be amazing!!!! A big thank you to those responsible for transforming Central Plaza into a desctuction area with KZ everywhere. Great Idea. It got most of our clan excited to go back into home and play the games on there for the unlock points. I think we spent 6 hours in home last night playing, running packages, and having fun. I actually changed my preorder from Gamestop to Amazon through Home. Better deal, cheaper, release day home delivery, plus a helghast flight suit :) ANY CHANCE OF 3D TRAILERS ON THE PS STORE ANYTIME SOON?

Hope you do the same for Socom 4 and Motorstorm
Great job, and thanks.

Aryeh Loeb's Avatar

+ Aryeh Loeb on January 28th, 2011 at 10:11 am said:

Good to hear that you like what the Helghast did to Home!

+ Heaven_or_Hell15 on January 28th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

I’ve been doing KZ2 in Elite, No HUD, no hint, no subtitles this past week to get pumped. Still sooooo immersive, but i’ve got two minors questions:

-While engaging in a firefight with those “evils” helghast, will my gun still make a different sound while firing with my ammo running low :) ?

-HUD is still optional if I want to remove it ?

+ Enkei-Xpress on January 28th, 2011 at 10:25 am said:

Killzone 3 uses 100% of PS3′s power…? I hope so.

+ station3fever on January 28th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

PLEASE ENTER YOUR BIRTHDAY BELOW!! BS, BS, BS, BS ETC…

Killzone3 looks really sweet :) just don’t forget it’s a game and not a movie. in other words i don’t want to sit there for half hour watching fmv’s “I want to play and kick butt”.
You got some great actors on your side, heck that alone makes me want to play NOW lol :)

+ hashem816 on January 28th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

sweet the story looks alot better but when are we going to get the breakdown of kz3′s classes?

+ JL84wolf on January 28th, 2011 at 10:42 am said:

looks awesome

+ mxpxboy on January 28th, 2011 at 10:46 am said:

I babysat Malcolm McDowell’s kid when he was filming a movie at my work a few years back. He’s a very nice man. I can’t wait to get my hands on KZ3!!

+ KwietStorm on January 28th, 2011 at 10:54 am said:

Not even a chance I was ever getting the Helghast edition. I would have definitely bought the special edition that’s ONLY in Europe.

+ dragon_night on January 28th, 2011 at 10:57 am said:

Pixeljunk shooter 2?

+ ElHaraganRB on January 28th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

Have you revealed all the game modes for the game? or there will be surprises? =D

+ CaptTM on January 28th, 2011 at 10:58 am said:

Cool, and for split-screen can you use the PS Move in it? Such as, me using the PS Move and my buddy using the DualShock3 or both of us using the PS Move for example?

+ usedtoiletpaper on January 28th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Wow, there are so many great ps3 exclusives coming out this year, but around how long will the campaign be? i hope it’s at least 10hrs, not like it matters as much with the exceptional online play!

+ wizeguy22 on January 28th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

just pre-ordered my Helghast Edition through playstation home.. by the way awesome job on the Helghast Home invasion sony.. anyway cant freaking wait for this.. played it over for my GF to watch .. she went out and pre-ordered herself a copy to play online matches with me :)

+ wizeguy22 on January 28th, 2011 at 11:07 am said:

^played killzone 2 over for her is what i meant

+ ALEXgrey69 on January 28th, 2011 at 11:09 am said:

When is the 1st official review? Where can I read the review? Has 2 player online CO-OP been confirmed? Will the behind the scenes in the promo be included on the blu-ray? The game’s weapon inertia seems very fluid. Does the turning radius still have that feeling of heft? I thought that made Killzone 2 different than other first person shooters.

+ Kirkpad on January 28th, 2011 at 11:13 am said:

A friend of mine got to play the whole KZ3 campaign in Europe. He said it was FANTASTIC.

+ wuzzerWillabee on January 28th, 2011 at 11:23 am said:

Will KZ3 support LAN? I’m assuming it won’t since KZ2 didn’t, but it would be nice to know for sure.

+ KILLZONE79 on January 28th, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

DAY 1 HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ SeanScythe on January 28th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

Will someone answer this Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? If not why not? If one PS3 can run two players in Splitscreen why can’t we have Online Co-op?

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 28th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

Pre-ordered this and can’t wait! :D

+ Victoryismine52 on January 28th, 2011 at 11:50 am said:

I cry myself to sleep waiting for this game…. please time will you move just a little faster?

+ SeanScythe on January 28th, 2011 at 11:51 am said:

Sorry but Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story? Will KZ3 have Online Co-op for story?

+ SeanScythe on January 28th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Wait quick question, the FULL version of the game will have Online Co-op for the Single player right? It’s not just restricted to splitscreen is it? Please for the love of God tell me it has Online CO-OP. This has been said to be in the game since we found out it had Co-op, if it’s not I can tell you now we are not going to be happy.

+ Blkant on January 28th, 2011 at 12:03 pm said:

Man you guys need to get these vehicles online… Even if its DLC for a vehicle map pack/game mode thing, I beg of you!

PAGE 1 2