GTAV PS4

The PlayStation Recap

Sid Shuman's Avatar + Posted by Sid Shuman on Jan 29, 2011 // Senior Manager, Social Media

I didn’t attend the PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan with Jeff and Rey — though now we can watch the whole press conference in HD. Like most of you, however, I felt the waves of the NGP (Next Generation Portable) announcement all the way across the Pacific. The NGP is one of the first devices I’ve seen that will use an OLED screen, and the tech specs are undeniably impressive. And then there are the dual analog sticks, rear touch panel, and geo-social services like Live Area — not to mention tons of upcoming games from UNCHARTED to Call of Duty.

The announcement of the “hardware-neutral” PlayStation Suite was no less significant, as it means PlayStation content will find its way to Android devices for the first time, starting with PSOne classics.

What was your favorite announcement from the PlayStation Meeting 2011?

The PlayStation Recap – PlayStation.Blog

• Kick Off the New Year with PlayStation Network’s ‘11 for 2011’ PS3 Game Sale – I know a good deal when I see one.
  • Killzone 3: The Right Tools for the Job – Killzone 3′s massive multiplayer arsenal is splayed out for all to see.
  • Killzone 3 Invades PlayStation Home This Thursday, Fight Back and Earn Unlock Points – I’ve been hearing good things. Have you tried it?
  • ModNation Monday: The Party’s Not Over! – Download Party Hardy and see the latest user creations.
  • More Avatar Options Coming to PlayStation Network Tomorrow – A deluge of new avatars (over 40 in all) including Red Dead Redemption, GTA IV, and Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood.
  • Happy Birthday MAG! Let’s Celebrate! – The 256-player multiplayer shooter comes of age.
  • Upcoming Novel to Bridge Gap Between Resistance 2, Resistance 3 – The Chimera have a secret weakness: Lively prose, engaging story arcs, and fleshed-out character development.
  • Dead Space 2 Terrorizes PS3 Today, Limited Edition Includes Dead Space: Extraction – This weekend, I’m curled up with Extraction on PlayStation Move.
  • PlayStation Store Update – Dead Space Extraction (with demo), Bulletstorm demo, Lord of Arcana and more.
  • Killzone 3 – Single Player Demo Coming in February – The open multiplayer beta (2/2/11) was just the beginning.
  • Stacking: Double Fine’s Tim Schafer and Lee Petty Play With Dolls Rey always delivers quality videos, but I think this might be a new high. Agree or disagree?
  • MotorStorm Apocalypse 3D Trailer Live on PSN, Watch it in 2D Now – Nice to see more 3D trailers hitting PSN.
  • Digital Comics Store Update – Dead Space: Salvage, World of Warcraft, Deadpool, and Return to Labyrinth.
  • Killzone 3 Invades PlayStation Home Tomorrow with Rewards Galore – Fun fact: Playing Killzone 3 challenges in Home earns you Unlock Points for Killzone 3′s multiplayer mode.
  • PS3 System Software Update (v3.56) – The new update is out now.
  • Live From Japan: PlayStation Meeting 2011 – The scene of the crime. Investigate it carefully and learn its secrets.
  • Introducing the Next Generation of Portable Gaming – SCEA President and CEO Jack Tretton lays out the vision for NGP.
  • Next Generation Portable (NGP): All the early details – We got your quad core, we got your dual analog, we got your OLED. But that’s just the start.
  • SOCOM 4 Ships Out April 19th, New Multiplayer Video – Zipper’s return to the SOCOM series is coming faster than a speeding bullet.
  • The Epic Story Behind Explodemon, Hitting PSN on February 8th – Ed Fear: “It’s a dramatic story, featuring MYSTERIOUS BENEFACTORS! LAST-MINUTE DEAL BREAKDOWNS! HIDDEN USURPERS! and BOUNCY CASTLES!”
  • Chime Super Deluxe: Music Puzzle Game Coming Soon to PSN – Methinks Lumines fans will be interested in this.
  • Killzone 3: Behind The Scenes – Worth watching if only to see tough guy Ray Winstone in a skin-tight one-piece studded with mocap balls.
  • Slam Bolt Scrappers Bursts onto PSN in March with Innovative “Beverage Mode” – Now you’re talking my language!
  • Five Things You Didn’t Know About MAG – All secrets revealed by Jeremy Dunham.
  • PlayStation Move Heroes Bundle, Box Art Revealed – A new alternative to the ever-popular Sports Champions PlayStation Move bundle.
  • LittleBigPlanet Community Update – Resources Galore – LBP.me is absolutely worth checking out. It’s like Facebook for LBP2 user levels!
  • Plants Vs Zombies Coming Soon to PSN! – I don’t know what’s scarier: Zombies or PopCap’s Jeff Green. LOVE the game, though!
  • PlayStation Network Video Content Update – Red, Saw: The Final Chapter, Secretariat, Nowhere Boy and more.
  • Watch the reveal of NGP and PlayStation Suite in 1080p HD – Now translated for your comprehension pleasure.
  • Uncharted 3 banner

Courtesy of Arne Meyer

• Neil Druckmann at Sundance 2011 – Naughty Dog presented a panel, Video Games: The Plot Thickens, at the Miner’s Hospital on Wednesday.
  • REMINDER: The Lab – Sniper Extermination – For this episode of “The Lab” we’re bringing back a community favorite gametype variation from June 2010. All players use Dragon Sniper rifles – NO sidearms.
  • Play the MAG Beta with Zipper!

• MAG by the Numbers – It’s MAG’s birthday this week, and we thought we’d share some of the more interesting numbers that you, the fans, have accumulated over the past 12 months.
  • //Add Your Own

+ digitalman123 on January 29th, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

Aced all LBP2 story levels!
    Any news on the NGP price or date soon?
    I’m playing: LBP2, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time HD, God of War 3, Sly 3 [Sly Collection]
    I’m watching: Myself type this post
    I’m reading: The Alchemyst

+ Sid Shuman on January 29th, 2011 at 7:06 pm said:

We don’t have answers to every question on NGP yet, including yours, so hang tight.

+ SpiritThief on January 29th, 2011 at 4:32 pm said:

Playing: Star Ocean Last Hope International, The Witcher(PC) What happened the PS3 versions:(
    Watching: Invader Zim
    Reading: The Great Hunt *working my way thru Wheel of Time again.

I’m looking forward to news on some RPGs this month. Maybe some Dungeon Siege 3. I hear a march release so far be nice to see some new stuff.

+ JKar275 on January 29th, 2011 at 4:33 pm said:

I’m a proud owner of a PSP-1000 and have refused to upgrade to a newer version because they seemed to offer little additional value. But now Im pretty sure that I would upgrade to a NGP as long as the price is not over $300.

I’d like to know exactly what type of storage cards the NGP will accept?

+ digitalman123 on January 29th, 2011 at 4:40 pm said:

Will there be speciasl cards you can redeem for games on NGP?
    Can I see a roster of games being made for it?

+ digitalman123 on January 29th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

I hope the UNCHARTED NGP won’t be JUST touchscreen. I’d still buy it, but I sincerely hope it’s not ALL touchscreen.

+ Sid Shuman on January 29th, 2011 at 7:08 pm said:

Definitely not.

+ Weshzu on January 29th, 2011 at 4:50 pm said:

hey sid i have a few question about killzone 3 pre-order and bonuses if you could help me that would be great although its not relevant i want to approach someone who has sum knowledge/connections,

its been on many blog pages that the pre-order bonus for 3 points for skills and weapon is on amazon.com but is it for canada amazon.ca as well? Also i want to purchase the helghast edition but i do not see it on the list.

Last question is the 3 points skills stackable with the 3 points earned from killzone 3 home mini game or another pre-order coupon thanks.

Much appreciate if you could answer these questions

+ Sid Shuman on January 29th, 2011 at 7:09 pm said:

The points are stackable from pre-orders and the Killzone 3 Home game. Can’t speak to amazon.ca, unfortunately, it’s not in my country. Can you ask their staff over the web? I suspect the pre-order programs are regional.

+ Weshzu on January 29th, 2011 at 4:54 pm said:

o ye i totally forgot too i actually got one more question. If i were to purchase my helghast collection on playstation home would canadian users be able to order it? because i get linked directly to amazon.com which i believe is for the states only

+ Sonicfan11589 on January 29th, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

Do u guys think the PSP 2/NGP should be called the PSP HD?

+ Lohverz on January 29th, 2011 at 5:28 pm said:

I think they should call it the “PlayStation Go!”

+ B-Real206 on January 29th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

Hot Shots Next better be a launch title for NGP since ClapHands doesn’t seem to want to do anything with Hot Shots: Out of Bounds :( Where is the Move support? Anyways that is all just wanted to get my .02cents out there.

+ B-Real206 on January 29th, 2011 at 5:38 pm said:

I heard PSP Pro in one of the other threads, I like it

+ DZORMAGEN on January 29th, 2011 at 5:48 pm said:

Hey Sid, do you know why the 7-11 Slurpee code they sent us via e-mail are not working? I redeemed a few points for some LBP2 themes, but when I get the PSN codes from 7-11 the codes do not work. Can you please see what is going on with this?

+ Sid Shuman on January 29th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

Thanks for the heads up, I will indeed look into this. Is it possible that you already own the content that the 7-11 codes are offering? If you need more help please ask here: http://us.playstation.com/support/ask/

+ colonel005 on January 29th, 2011 at 5:49 pm said:

I missed the Playstation Move Heroes post, and having just finished playing The Sly Collection, I can say that Sly from the Playstation Move Heroes does NOT look like him AT ALL. I am very disappointed. I hope you could fix the character model to actually look like him

If there is going to be a Sly 4, I beg you not to use that model for the game. PLEASE!

+ perrandy on January 29th, 2011 at 6:32 pm said:

currently watching: akira kurosawa’s samurai 7
    playing tetris,pacman DX
    reading: internet news

+ remanutd5 on January 29th, 2011 at 6:39 pm said:

i loved everything i saw about NGP , all the specs , the games , social apps , LiveArea , Near , Trophies , Friends ( which i supposed its gonna be our psn friends list ) , loved all 3 live game demos , Uncharted and its different ways to play the game , Little Deviants and its unique way to play and Hot Shot Golf looked very very impressive too , i saw 2 sackboys on the screen at the same time ( hope that means online co op!!!!! ) , loved all the games you guys showed , i just wish you guys can talk more about , i mean who is developing Uncharted NGP , Little Big Planet NGP , or the new IPs , i hope the system comes out in NA this year , i will be pre ordering as soon as you guys announce a release date , you sure did impressed me a lot , cant wait !!!

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 9:04 pm said:

Glad you like it. I can’t wait until we learn more details on Live Area, as well as what games and ideas third-party publishers come up with!

+ MightyPlatypus on January 29th, 2011 at 7:24 pm said:

Seeing as I might get LBP2 sometime in Febuary, is there any news on LBP2 DLC? I know its only been a month, but still…

+ Arcadian_Rebel on January 29th, 2011 at 7:54 pm said:

Great MAG content this week! Looking forward to Killzone 3! :)

+ KIT-_-KAT on January 29th, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

Socom looks like trash right now :(

+ NotoriousGamer on January 29th, 2011 at 8:56 pm said:

Is PS3 getting cloud saving in 3.60 update? Is there ever going to be a PS3 trophy leaderboard system. Blog Share has all of them listed out.

Make em happen plzzzzz

+ Weshzu on January 29th, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

thanks sid i just googled and got some info. So .com does delivery to canada except electronics. But i have to spend an extra 7 dollar+ for shipping and not sure how long it will take :/ i want it the day of the release date . I really want the 3 points towards skill or weapon bonus the other ones are pretty useless seeing how it only last 24hours. gureilla games please switch bonuses with gamestop!!

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

Heheh. I’ll pass along the feedback ^_^

+ python1210 on January 29th, 2011 at 10:40 pm said:

I cant wait for the NGP! I will be getting that when it comes out! Otherwise some other great news this week also.

I’m playing inFAMOUS, and Im getting the Sly Collection tommorow!
    I’m watching whatever is on tv.
    Reading Animal Farm for school.

+ df2506 on January 29th, 2011 at 10:43 pm said:

I’m playing: LittleBigPlanet 2! I’ve created two levels so far and Chapter 1 of a “film” series. My newest level is called Trashy Shooter V. 001: http://lbp.me/v/x7y0fp
    LBP2 is such a great game!

I’m Watching: Finished watching Battlestar Galactica season 4 on Netflix streaming yesterday! Its still a great series. Watched some Dead Like Me and plan to watch more soon. Might watch more Heroes also. Oh and very happy to hear that Scrubs, Eli Stone, That 70′s Show, and more will be joining Netflix streaming next month. So glad I got Netflix for my PS3. :)

I’m Reading: The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury.

Looking forward to trying out the Killzone 3 single player and multiplayer next month. I hope Killzone 3 is a better game than Killzone 2. I thought that game was just OK.

Here’s hoping for some other cool new demos next month too.

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

Awww, I can’t check out your level — mark it public ^_^ I like the name ‘Trashy Shooter’

+ armogangsta on January 29th, 2011 at 10:47 pm said:

I am extremely impressed at all the amazing features the NGP has to offer such as the touch screens, 3G, Wifi, Built in GPS, and the games that were demoed absolutely stunning in the graphics department for a portable device. I just had a quick question. Is there an estimation of how long the battery life for the NGP is going to be? That’s one of my major concerns for the device.

+ therontthomas on January 29th, 2011 at 11:05 pm said:

IAM LOOKING FORWARD TO BUYING THIS BECAUSE I HEARD THAT ONLINE PLAY IS GOING TO BE JUST LIKE THE PS3 THAT MEANS I DON’T PLUG MY PS3 ANYMORE I CAN CONNECT WITH ALL MY PSN FRIENDS WHEN IAM ON THE GO. PLUS THERE GOING TO HAVE SOME OF THE BIGGEST NAME GAMES LIKE FOR PS3 PLAYING ON THE NGP. THANKS SONY FOR MAKING LIFE EASIER

+ therontthomas on January 29th, 2011 at 11:09 pm said:

THE NAME SHOULD BE PSP NGP or PSP2 HD

+ Daojones on January 29th, 2011 at 11:42 pm said:

OLED screen. *swoon* I am so spoiled with my phone having one of those bad boys so I am pretty stoked the new handheld from Sony will have it plus tons of other sexiness. :D

Durable and sexy! The way I like my women! Wait… :)

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 9:03 pm said:

OLED got my attention right away. Glad you like NGP so far! ^_^

+ joostin on January 29th, 2011 at 11:43 pm said:

Nice numbers for MAG in the first year! 100,000 players put in over 100 hours…253 hours right here and counting

+ V0L1M1N4L on January 30th, 2011 at 12:26 am said:

@23 OMG MOAR CAPS-oh jebus. While I do think that 3G will make the device’s online capabilities more uh… capable… I do not think that 3G speeds are not exactly suited for a PS3 level of online play. However, I do think it’s a step in the right direction. I would like to see the NGP connect to the same infrastructure of the PS3/PSN.

+ V0L1M1N4L on January 30th, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

Also, Pac Man Championship Edition DX should be on NGP. Sid, *would you kindly* forward this message to Namco for me? :)

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 9:00 pm said:

Hahah ^_^ I would love to see it! The good news is, Pac Man CE hits minis this week. And minis are supported by NGP according to the announcement info, so that’s a good fall back if nothing else.

+ FJ1100_rider on January 30th, 2011 at 2:04 am said:

off topic but I don’t know where to ask

I logged onto the ps3 browser earlier and saw a change – new links to pulse , playstation forums and more .
    I wondered why a forums link if the site is unusable from the ps3 browser so thought maybe the recent update changed that . No – it didn’t .
    try it – you can read a few posts but go ahead and try logging into forums from your ps3 .
    it does absolutely nothing so if you can’t log in to participate in posting anything or replying why even have a link ?

any reply is helpful even I don’t know because it will at least let me know somebody at playstation is somewhat aware there’s an issue — and has been an issue for well over 18 months
    around fw update 2.80 was the last time the ps3 browser could access the forums site – no blog share access on ps3 either .

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 8:59 pm said:

Hmm. Thanks for the heads up, but I don’t have any updates for you yet.

+ FJ1100_rider on January 30th, 2011 at 2:08 am said:

oh . forgot

playing : zen pinball – it’s always fun
    watching : cannibal the musical for the 20th time – hilarious
    reading : playstation blog , the stand by stephen king – long version

+ FJ1100_rider on January 30th, 2011 at 2:13 am said:

one more question , if you could look into it .
    will ngp be able to connect using psn account and download and play any current ps3 titles with some sort of patch ?
    I’d buy one day 1 if I knew I could play all my psn games because having a new console and immediately having access to over 100 games would be really great .
    ( yeah , I’ve got just over 100 psn titles now on my ps3 )

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 8:57 pm said:

Well, it will be compatible with PSN content, but the example you’re referring to is very specific — let’s wait and see as these questions are revealed closer to launch. That is to say, I don’t know for certain yet.

+ Zarxce on January 30th, 2011 at 5:18 am said:

Been mostly playing LittleBigPlanet 2 and Atelier Rorona this week.

For LBP2, more people need to allow others to jump in their game! It’s seeming rather difficult to find enough people to grab those 4 player only items…

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 8:56 pm said:

Yeah, I like to play with friends but less so with strangers — though I did have one manic, hilarious episode with a random stranger who was well-versed in Sackboy’s arm gestures ^_^

+ RavenSPe on January 30th, 2011 at 5:25 am said:

So when is SOCOM 5 coming out? I’m already done with 4. Hopefully a competent developer will take the reigns this time.

+ digitalman123 on January 30th, 2011 at 5:39 am said:

@16: There’s a Prius Level coming early February, and I think a PS Move thing is eventually coming, but not sure. 100% on the Prius thing though.

+ digitalman123 on January 30th, 2011 at 5:41 am said:

@Sid to 5: Phew! Alright then. Thanks!

+ OneWingedAngelJL on January 30th, 2011 at 8:16 am said:

The NGP looks very impressive. I just feel bad for anyone who just recently got a PSP or especially a PSP Go :/

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 8:55 pm said:

Well, the PSN content will be backward compatible. And the NGP release window is still a ways off, so I wouldn’t feel *too* bad…

+ mew_frenger on January 30th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

u playing me2? havnt u heard the saves get corrupted?!! im 5 hours in and waiting for bioware to patch it. hope they hurry up!

+ twistedfloyd on January 30th, 2011 at 10:20 am said:

Playing: AC Brotherhood, RDR Undead Nightmare, Sly Collection, Uncharted 2, MNR.
    Watching: Gankoutsuou
    Reading: Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway.

Very impressed by what you guys showed on the NGP. Still not 100% sold because I am very much more a console gamer, but this is an incredible machine that you guys are making.

Any news on a TM and inFamous 2 release date?

+ Sid Shuman on January 30th, 2011 at 8:53 pm said:

Glad you liked NGP :) Definitely something to keep an eye on, even if (like me) you’re more of a console player. No update yet on i2 and TM, but we’ll keep you updated!

+ FJ1100_rider on January 31st, 2011 at 11:28 am said:

thanks for the replies

Hope it (ngp) plays at least some ps3 psn titles with some ps3 integration

I’d love to play something like pixeljunk shooter 2 online against a friend while I’m on ngp and he’s on ps3 while we have a beer together or play catan over ngp online so I can have a friend over and he’d play on my ps3 .

anyway , ngp sounds awesome and as long as it’s priced right ( hoping $279 or less ) it’ll be on my list of must haves .

I really like games on flash cards too – it’ll allow for some extra security features to stop piracy and hacking .

Idea : Sony adds future security patches unnoticed in game updates instead of as a firmware update so that hackers ” accidentally ” update to them and get suspended from psn .
    just have an update that comes up next time everyone plays any online capable game and can’t be done in the background .
    They’ll complain but really don’t have to be told beforehand since they’re breaking the terms of service .