PS4-Infamous

The UnderGarden Hits PSN Today, Now What the Heck Is It?

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar + Posted by Antonio Santamaria on Feb 01, 2011 // Head of Engineering, Vitamin-G

With the game launching later today on PSN, it’s time for us to tell you how this quirky experience works and why we’re so excited to bring it to the PS3. As mentioned in previous articles, The UnderGarden is not a typical game. If you’ve been following some of the screenshots and trailers, you may be wondering exactly how The UnderGarden works. “There’s this little guy floating around, flowers are growing all around him, and he seems obsessed with glowing fruits … oh look, a giant wheel!”… Yes, it wouldn’t make much sense to us either! Let me try to explain.

The UnderGarden is about exploration. When you first jump in, the world is dark and there doesn’t seem too much in the way of life, but you can change this! The first thing you will want to do is grow some flowers, and for that you’ll need to collect pollen. There are pollen sacks scattered about the caves, and by bumping into them you can collect their pollen particles. The amount of pollen you have is shown at the bottom of the screen.

Undergarden for PS3 (PSN)

Now it’s time to start adding color to the world. As you float near the edges of the caverns, plants will sprout up around you, each adding color and different musical melodies. The plants aren’t just for looks — some of them can grow fruit. You’ll want to harvest these, and to do so, you need to get close and pull them off. To grab fruit, just hold down the “grab” button (square), which causes a bubble to form around you, and anything inside the bubble gets tethered to your character. To release fruit, you simply tap the same button. Aside from grabbing and releasing, there is also a light boost to help you pull things along, and a warp to bring you back to the last checkpoint or exit an area.

Back to our level. One of the first areas is blocked by a large stone gate, and there’s a small switch nearby that needs to be pushed down. Your character is too small, but this is where those orange fruit come in. If you gather up enough and release it on top of the switch, this will cause the gate to open and get you to the next section. There are several different types of fruit that do different things, and more appear in the later levels.

Undergarden for PS3 (PSN)

The puzzles also get a little more involved than the simple example above. In later levels, wind or fog present challenges, and some of the plants and creatures take on a more active role in your journey. There are other things to do as well: special crystals and bonus flowers are hidden throughout the world, and different hats and costumes will be unlocked as you play, allowing you to change how your little guy looks. Taking a break from playing a shooter? You might feel at home in a flak helmet, although we left out the M-16…or did we? Make flowers, not war…

Then there are the musicians, who are scattered about the levels and play different instruments. As you fly near them, you’ll hear the music change. Try taking some of them along for the ride! As you do this, you’ll add different layers to the music, and even see flowers start to change as you progress.

Undergarden for PS3 (PSN)Undergarden for PS3 (PSN)

Now that we’ve talked about how the game works, you may be wondering “But what is the Undergarden really about“? For that, you will need to use your imagination. Are you underwater, or somewhere else? What happens when I bring everything to life? What does this all mean? We hint at something by the end, but we expect you to come to your own conclusion. We’re eager to hear what you come up with!

So how can you get the most of this game? Turn out the lights, get comfortable, turn up the sound and just start playing. Have a significant other join in for some co-op, and decorate the world as you solve the puzzles. Hey, even if you don’t quite figure it all out, we hope you’ll at least say “I don’t know what this place is, but I’m pretty sure I want to go back!”

We hope you enjoy what we’ve tried to do with The UnderGarden. We had fun making it for you! Give it a shot, and enjoy the sights and sounds as you travel around exploring everything in the world. Don’t forget to write… !

+ G-Force08 on February 1st, 2011 at 8:06 am said:

I’m going to get this for sure. It looks like an incredibly fun and unique experience. The visuals are just beautiful as well. I cant wait for the store to update tonight. I have quite a few things I want to download.

Thanks for the detailed description of the game and what we can look forward to! Good work on the game guys. :) Looking forward to it

+ TwinDad on February 1st, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

Looks great. Price?

+ Chrystolis on February 1st, 2011 at 8:08 am said:

A pleasant surprise for my morning :D Can’t wait to try it out tonight!

+ ckpotc on February 1st, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

Looks beautiful. Reminds me of PixelJunk Eden a litte. If it’s at a low price I might get it.

+ Faria1st on February 1st, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

Looks interesting. Will there be a demo for us to try?

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 9:20 am said:

There should be a demo available as well.

+ sindiewen on February 1st, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

Such an interesting game. Played the PC demo and it was fun. Probably gonna pick this up soon.

+ THA-BEST88 on February 1st, 2011 at 8:30 am said:

I know this has nothing to do with ‘Undergarden’ but i’ve been hearing rumors that playsttion plus members are getting the new COD blk ops map pack release today. Is it true

+ SPOPS on February 1st, 2011 at 8:31 am said:

Reminds me of Pixel Junk Eden

+ MaDogNik96 on February 1st, 2011 at 8:33 am said:

PixelJunk Flower with soundtrack by Module (Shatter OST)?

+ aro52 on February 1st, 2011 at 8:33 am said:

PixelJunk Shooter + Flower… I’m in!

+ SarshelYam on February 1st, 2011 at 8:35 am said:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! I’ve been eagerly awaiting the arrival of this one. Momento uno purchase for me!

+ badassbr on February 1st, 2011 at 8:39 am said:

hoping for a demo!

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

The demo shows off the first level of the game. Should be available as soon as the game launches.

+ T-Jani on February 1st, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

Really looks neat, will it be coming to the uk store soon?

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

It is coming out for Europe very shortly, but to my knowledge not today.

+ FJ1100_rider on February 1st, 2011 at 8:50 am said:

love these unique games available from the smaller developers

I’ll be getting it eventually after I finish a few backlogged games , I really wish somehow we could use these type of games to show the hackers and jailbreakers what we’ll lose if they keep on stealing instead of supporting game developers .
small companies won’t be bothered to even try making something unique and cool like this if they think they may lose sales to cheap hackers instead of people supporting them with their business .

+ rjejr on February 1st, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

FYI – Steam has a demo.

+ Justp94 on February 1st, 2011 at 9:14 am said:

BIG QUESTION with only one word…. TROPHIES?

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 9:21 am said:

Yes, it supports Trophies! A few are easy, and a few require a little more effort.

+ Berae on February 1st, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

@16 Justp94

I dont know why people are still asking this in 2011… I thought every games has to have trophies since like 2-3 years ago

+ jimfear on February 1st, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

How much will it cost?

+ Imphobia on February 1st, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

It looks very interesting, i will look it up once it’s released.

+ Justp94 on February 1st, 2011 at 9:52 am said:

One more question, what is the price? Is it $9.99?

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 10:30 am said:

Atari will be setting the price, but it should be up later today so it won’t be too long to wait.

+ nikrel on February 1st, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

I am picking this up as soon as the store updates, both my wife and myself enjoy the chill style that this title will seem to bring. Seems right along the lines of Flower & Flow.

My only question is will there be a soundtrack released sometime soon for this, if it does have a soundtrack that has some music that is similar from this trailer I will pick it up right away. If there isn’t a planned release of the soundtrack please pass it along! I want it!

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 10:32 am said:

The soundtrack is a bit tricky, because it is dynamic…it changes depending on what you do. But it’s a possibility for sure. We’ll look into it!

+ Neil on February 1st, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

I’m buying this based solely on your dedication and enthusiasm in promoting it.

+ ERC1980 on February 1st, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

is this one a psn exclusive antonio?

looks cool, will have to try out demo

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 10:33 am said:

It’s not a PSN exclusive, although 2 extra levels have been included with the PSN version.

+ ERC1980 on February 1st, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

thanks for answering my question

how much will it cost, cause i may need to purchase a psn card if it’s over 10 bucks

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 11:40 am said:

It’s coming out later on today, and I am guessing the price will be $9.99. That’s just a guess though…but a pretty good one!

+ TallCrowe on February 1st, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

Looks very groovy. If the controls match the visuals I might be getting it.

+ demibigblack28 on February 1st, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

Sound great kind of like flowers i’m going to try it out today but how much is it ?

+ Winterwolf2010 on February 1st, 2011 at 10:44 am said:

This Game looks amazing. I so Can’t wait for the release today. Good job on a beautiful looking game. I think there should be more games with this kind of uniqueness. Kudos to all of the developers.

+ candycabngfl on February 1st, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

I really hope we continue to see more games of this nature released instead of the same old run & gun, FPS etc gameplay that seems to be the norm these days. Day one buy for me :) Thanks for bringing this to PSN and hope to see more from you guys in the future:)

+ TheGuardianFID on February 1st, 2011 at 11:15 am said:

SOLD!!! Creativity wins the day!!! 8)

+ XenoNative on February 1st, 2011 at 11:32 am said:

cant wait to play this on the ngp!

+ TheJak21 on February 1st, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

Sorry to say this games not for me D=

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 11:42 am said:

Sure thing, but feel free to give the demo a try when you get the time…you might be surprised! (hey, the demo’s free!)

+ MartiniGroove on February 1st, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

I liked this one a lot when it was called “Flower.” Look forward to trying the demo, though.

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 1st, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

It plays quite differently from Flower, though they both have…flowers.

+ tylerh1701 on February 1st, 2011 at 11:46 am said:

Hopefully it only costs $10 for the PS3 crowd. It was only $10 on Xbox and they’ve already had it on sale for $5, that’s when I picked it up. It’s fun in short spurts.

And people, keep in mind that if it’s a PSN release (and not a mini) it’s gonna have trophies.

+ Vu_Prime on February 1st, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

Looks amazing.

+ nerdmanwhippy on February 1st, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

I don’t understand why people ask if a game has trophies in it every time a new game comes out when a few years ago Sony made trophies mandatory…

Anyways game looks fantastic can’t wait for the update to purchase. Hopefully it’s at the sweet point of $9.99 or under.

+ Quincho on February 1st, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

Looks SOOOoOooOooOOoo cool, im gettin it!!! I love this tipe of games, keep up the good work!

+ Joe-TFW on February 1st, 2011 at 12:26 pm said:

$5 will get an instant buy from me. Anything more, and I’ll give the demo a go. I do enjoy the quirky and original games, and love to support them.

+ dirtyd89 on February 1st, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

I’ll give it a try.

Looks like a fun platformer to try out.

Also I like the laid back flow of the game play.

Reminds me a lot of That Game Company’s Flow/Flower only it’s a platformer.

I like it.

:D

+ pasword12 on February 1st, 2011 at 12:47 pm said:

What is the purpose of the game and what is it about?
Some one please help me understand it!

+ Skrapshak on February 1st, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

I think a better question would be “WHEN the Heck is it?”

+ BAM_AWB on February 1st, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

it looks like a neon Microbot

+ SpeedRacer1955 on February 1st, 2011 at 4:32 pm said:

Just went to the Store on PS3 and there does not appear to ba a demo available at this time. Even the store update in the blog makes no mention of a Demo for the game. Is there a time frame for when or if there will be a demo released.

Antonio Santamaria's Avatar

+ Antonio Santamaria on February 2nd, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

We’re looking into where the demo ended up. Hopefully it won’t be much longer.

+ Elvick_ on February 2nd, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

Move support please.

+ EggySong85 on February 2nd, 2011 at 9:57 pm said:

When it gets move support I’ll drop some cash on it. Looks fun.

+ miggs93 on February 3rd, 2011 at 7:31 pm said: