Horizon Zero Dawn

Feb 02

Kaz Hirai on the NGP

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 02, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

The day we announced the Next Generation Portable, or NGP, was quite an eventful one. You might have followed the live blog, read the message on the Blog from SCEA CEO Jack Tretton, seen the topics trending on Twitter (6 out of 10 worldwide at one point!), or read the hands-on impressions.

At the very end of the day, I had a chance to catch up with Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. While I knew I’d be unable to gather any more details than what was announced earlier in the day, I was curious about the broader aspects of the news: Why announce NGP now? Where does it fit into the PlayStation console life cycle philosophy? How did publishing partners like Epic Games and Activision get involved in the announcement? I hope you enjoy hearing these answers in detail directly from Mr. Hirai.

PAGE 1 2 3

+ AutomaticOcelot on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

@4: I love internet logic. What about 10 years from now when having “Next Generation” on the box will be a liability?

No. They are not going to do that.

MAYBE they will keep the initials, but PSP2 is the smart thing to do. The PlayStation brand has real numbers, and the PlayStation 2 still proves that having the “older” model on the market doesn’t stop sales. The PSPGo will evaporate and sales of PSP-3000s will still trickle in for those that still want UMDs.

+ GabeP on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:23 pm said:

The conference was the first time I’d heard Kaz speaking Japanese. Love that language..

Anyways, welcome back to the states Jeff! Very jealous you and the crew got to travel to Japan and see everything in person. Definitely saving up extra money for the NGP and looking forward to future news.

+ remanutd5 on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:29 pm said:

ok Jeff since its too soon to answer lots of questions how about giving us more info on the games already announced , come on , i know Big Big Studios is working on Little Deviants but who is working on Little Big Planet NGP ? is it true that the same studio that is working on Playstation Heroes is working on Resistance NGP ? how about Uncharted NGP, is Naughty Dog working on it ? , Killzone ? Smart As? Broken ? Gravity Daze?

+ Dragun619 on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:31 pm said:

So Jeff, Any chance NamcoBandai can post details of their announcement of Tales of Grace F, here on the Blog?

+ TwinDad on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:50 pm said:

Yes, those Sony products do have those issues, however that is not what Kaz was referencing. He merely stated that 2-3 years down the road you can head into an electronics store and buy a NGP device that will play NGP games. Much like the PS3, there might be a new version of the PS3, the slim, but it is still a PS3 that can Play PS3 games.

+ headwing45 on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:51 pm said:

Was that Skyrim at 1:06?

+ theultimatenub on February 2nd, 2011 at 4:12 pm said:

definitely day one for me no matter what but please dont go over $350 because thats the max ill pay for it

+ favian on February 2nd, 2011 at 4:24 pm said:

Kaz is the man

+ Kodaime on February 2nd, 2011 at 4:29 pm said:

Kaz is sooo cool!

+ Junoblaze on February 2nd, 2011 at 4:59 pm said:

They should make it have cell phone features, too. Or, is that what the 3G means…

+ DarkRecoil on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:19 pm said:

NGP’s OLED screen needs to have scratch resistant ‘Gorilla glass’ like the latest cell phones (Dell streak, Samsung galaxy S, Nokia N8 ect)

here’s a demonstration: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nNJSGR2m0U

+ hypersackboy on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:26 pm said:

Thank God for Sony & PlayStation!

I love this interview & Kaz’s answers! Composure even if tired. A true samurai warrior! The NGP will separate the real men from the boys!

I love Sony Japan! Where would the world be without Sony?

NGP: console gaming minus the electric bill at its best!

But damn it Sony, please give NGP a HDTV Output or DLNA, Google, Android OS & all the apps, touch keyboard, @least 5MP camera, Skype, PS2 Emulation & no shovel wares!

Don’t screw it this time, ^_^!

Success Sony! Success!

+ Sonny30 on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

Love the style of the video. Very unique and nicely produced, I’d love to see more like this. Wonderful!

+ warrior_of_uae on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:34 pm said:

hey very nice defintely getting lol first time i comment on PS blog

+ shutter96 on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:44 pm said:

this system will blow the 3ds out of the water

+ Tendo_Sumisu on February 2nd, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

i’m wondering if the second joystick is going to be a problem seeing most games are button mashers and the second joystick might cause a problem with those games. If it could be above the XOsquaretriangle, that would be nice.
then for my next big question after i find out how the NPG can be integrated with the PS3, how can i win one :D.

+ Butters360 on February 2nd, 2011 at 6:03 pm said:

Imagine if Japan had an Monster Hunter MMO for the NGP, the reaction would be amusing.

+ D1crzydzzy on February 2nd, 2011 at 6:14 pm said:

As soon more information is pumped out from SONY, I’ll be waiting in line…lolz

+ b-ball23 on February 2nd, 2011 at 7:07 pm said:

if the price is right..then i will definitely be buying this.

+ BigFreezy1975 on February 2nd, 2011 at 7:13 pm said:

Good Job Jeff. I can’t wait for the NGP

+ Sephir007 on February 2nd, 2011 at 7:36 pm said:

“NGP does not have a video output feature,” confirmed Sony Computer Entertainment in a statement. Says on several videogame specialized media sites.

Please let it have Video Out, its very important, maybe not for all games because of the touch features, but it is important for video file playing, internet browsing and games that not use the touch function like the psp retro-compatible ones.

Hear your users feedback too. Please.
Come on Jeff let Kazuo Hirai hear our input on the matter.

+ kebebasan on February 2nd, 2011 at 7:56 pm said:

Great interview. Looking forward to all the continued information on the NGP. This is definitely Playstation’s year. Thanks for all the information Jeff!

+ EggySong85 on February 2nd, 2011 at 9:41 pm said:

Question: I want to use the NGP as essentially my gaming smart-phone-without-the-phone; How practical is the size and form of the NGP for something like this? The pictures make it seem bulky, but it could be more portable than it seems. What’s your take?

+ Shadow_Dancer on February 3rd, 2011 at 12:30 am said:

I think they should keep the XMB. They just need to incorporate the basic idea to a touch screen interface.

..And why are still calling it the NGP? It’s not like we all don’t know that it’s a PSP. That’s like revealing the PS4 and calling it the NGC. We already know!

+ Kaneda2K31 on February 3rd, 2011 at 2:23 am said:

I have to say NGP looks very nice, but I would like to know more about Uncharted for NGP story wise. Oh and it needs more Fighters, RPG’s, and Racer’s!

+ memortally on February 3rd, 2011 at 3:45 am said:

Man belive me or not this hot piece of tech excite me more than PS3. I love my ps3 so much and i am looking forward to only on ps3 ex games in 2011 (infamous 2 – UC3 – RFOM 3 etc .. ) , but with ngp i feel different so excited couse this device have PSN network capabilities with GPS (near is so cool) close to move gyro , revolution in handled consoles second analog and if it`s gonna use perferct game changer Track Pad OMG how the hell any gamer can`t be excited CAN`T REALLY WAIT . Hope Sony don`t make it`s name PSP2 i want it`s name more fresh more cool ;)

And the last thing was Apps and games , games and more games . This unique machine must have most and best games with so many new IP`s and it`s gonna be ROCK

Thanks Sony for always being GREATEST

+ Zonified on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:41 am said:

Is Jeff holding a limited edition Pac-Man Moleskine notebook? lol

+ BiezulbubBill69 on February 3rd, 2011 at 5:35 am said:

can’t wait for the NGP!!! It looks so damn amazing!!!!!

+ themacstewie on February 3rd, 2011 at 6:12 am said:

price has to be lower than $249 (i really ain’t buying another $300 device)

+ Totsoma on February 3rd, 2011 at 7:29 am said:

First day! stop delaying this and give it to me already. if you want the kitchen sink you got it.

+ themacstewie on February 3rd, 2011 at 9:27 am said:

@Totsoma it was never delayed, it’s actually been pushed ahead.
as the PSP2 wasn’t expected till 2012 (on sony’s original roadmap)

+ PagingDrUgly on February 3rd, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Wowza… if you told me 5 games I wanted at the PSP successor’s launch window, I would have said uncharted, wipeout, lbp, hsg and patapon (wha whaa whaaa!) Way to nail it.

Secondly, this thing is going to be priced appropriately. With every portable console iteration, it seems it gets closer to a home console experience. With every other piece of home vs. portable electronics (most notably, tower vs. laptop) there is a premium to get close to comparable computing power on the road. Why wouldn’t one expect a similar pricing structure here? The discrepancy between a $1000 dollar tower and a $1000 laptop is HUGE in respect to gaming purposes. If we can get a PS3 lite experience on the road for $299 – $349 without 3G, I will be very impressed. Can’t wait to hear more!

+ Maluraq on February 3rd, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

Multiple logins with automatic face-recognition would be extra awesome :)

+ ale_ecuador on February 3rd, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

well i think its really cool play station is finally getting up and waking up cause with kinect it got a little bit behind but this will beat the @#$%^!@#$%^!@#$!@#$% out of it, price and battery life etc… should be answered plus is it going to be tou purchase cds or buy the game inside like the psp go? real cool

+ Fragility on February 3rd, 2011 at 3:33 pm said:

I’m pretty sure this will be priced on par with the PS3… so expect at least $300.

I have to say thou, I’m guessing hardware wise it’s actually worth a lot more, but I expect Sony to do like they did with the PS3 and lose money on the hardware sells, in the short run, in order to capture the market for the software sales.

I’m really looking forward to:
– Dual Sticks
– Hi Res Screen
– Cameras (go skype!)
– Gyro / Motion Sensing + Touch Pads

But most of all Seamless Cross-Console Game Integration.. I want to beable to Play COD on my PS3 and then log into my profile on the PSP (assuming I bought it for that too) and continue playing on the move… Online or Offline.

Fingers Crossed, the future isn’t too far off.

+ Fragility on February 3rd, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

Man if you get DLNA working on this too, and a Dock and HDMI this thing is gonna own!

+ Unpredictable2yu on February 3rd, 2011 at 4:34 pm said:

LOVE LOVE LOVE my PS3. Just wanted to comment though on seeing my PSP sitting in the corner with dust on it as I type this… Metal Gear and God of War were really the only 2 reasons I can justify buying the PSP for. If you’re going to move into the realm of making a new better handheld system make the games for it just as important to the system as they would be for the PS3. It’s pointless to have a PSP and PS3 version of a game to come out because I’m just going to get it for the PS3 why even bother with the PSP. I’m rooting for you guys to make the new system work!!

+ christopherlamm on February 4th, 2011 at 1:07 am said:

Please don’t price this over $300 in AUSTRALIA. Our currency is parity with the US dollar and we pay $300+ for a PSP!!

+ Mr-Take_Yo_Girl on February 4th, 2011 at 10:10 am said:

Sony needs 2 Make It So u can Transfer UMD based Games On Tha NGP

+ ale_ecuador on February 4th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

what do you mean @mrtakeyogirl

+ DanielS415 on February 4th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

Gotta Love SONY

+ ale_ecuador on February 4th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

hey jeff i had the old ps3 and i just cant believe it had a company failure and yet you do nothing i had it for 2.6 years so no warranty and you dont even care about it you should at least give a 10 percent discount or something for the next ps3 cause im thinking that you knew this but you just let it go so about more than 10 million ps3players go and bye the new slim one well lucky for you im a playstation addict and ill still buy the slim just thinking its unfair for me to not even get an appology

+ NJBabyKing360 on February 4th, 2011 at 7:40 pm said:

Oh man, I am SOLD! I would expect (and hope) that the “NGP” or PSP2 will get much more developer support on a more diverse library of games this time around. I can only imagine the possibilities on this! Epic win Sony!

+ NJBabyKing360 on February 4th, 2011 at 7:46 pm said:

@ Fragility

I couldn’t agree more!

+ salansar666 on February 5th, 2011 at 1:02 am said:

Just kind of a random thought but I almost be afraid to see the “slim” version of this thing (if such a thing is possible) lol

+ antkid35 on February 5th, 2011 at 3:58 pm said:

the 3ds is stupit like all they have is mario and carb the psp2 is going to be the best thing every who needs 3d when all the 3ds is going to have is mario i hate mario i heard about the psp phone thats going to be beast to iu cant wait

+ themacstewie on February 5th, 2011 at 4:58 pm said:

3D is a fad.

+ starr_11 on February 5th, 2011 at 6:04 pm said:

This is gonna be the best selling consol of the year, right Jeff?

+ hypersackboy on February 5th, 2011 at 11:24 pm said:

I also had a feeling the arrival of the NGP have these implications & real time effect on gaming industry as we know it. It has the potential to change everything.

The overall philosophy of “portable console experience” with all the PS3’s power crammed in a handheld is a very ambitious, often ridiculed, risky & costly ambition. Yet if Sony manages to pull it off will revolutionize video gaming again.

Imagine playing a 1080p PS3 quality game featuring a 4 PlayStation Move controllers using the NGP’s camera while the NGP is connected to your HDTV via DLNA while consuming only a fraction of electricity !!!?

So much power & possibilities!
I hope Sony & I are thinking on the same page here XD