PlayStation Music

Feb 02

Kaz Hirai on the NGP

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar Posted by Jeff Rubenstein on Feb 02, 2011 // Sr. Social Media Manager

The day we announced the Next Generation Portable, or NGP, was quite an eventful one. You might have followed the live blog, read the message on the Blog from SCEA CEO Jack Tretton, seen the topics trending on Twitter (6 out of 10 worldwide at one point!), or read the hands-on impressions.

At the very end of the day, I had a chance to catch up with Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. While I knew I’d be unable to gather any more details than what was announced earlier in the day, I was curious about the broader aspects of the news: Why announce NGP now? Where does it fit into the PlayStation console life cycle philosophy? How did publishing partners like Epic Games and Activision get involved in the announcement? I hope you enjoy hearing these answers in detail directly from Mr. Hirai.

+ naruto12567 on February 6th, 2011 at 9:57 am said:

this looks SO DARN AWESOME! It might be expensive but eh your getting your moneys worth

+ gatita351 on February 7th, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

sony just give a price and battery so people like me can put money away ps. good price $250.00 please…

+ unborn_serenity on February 7th, 2011 at 3:53 pm said:

how will wifi work? are we gonna pay for it

+ unborn_serenity on February 7th, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

oh yeah, please tell us if it has better internet, and if flash is not supported, because, definitely that will be needed, all other psp didnt have it, and that was such a setback SMH!

+ knix24 on February 7th, 2011 at 5:46 pm said:

Let me play people in call of duty (killzone and resistance would be nice too) that are playing on ps3 and ill buy it,
If I can get off call of duty on my ps3 then pick it up mobily that’d be fantastic
I’m guessing the back touch pad will serve as R2 and L2 buttons?
Looks really cool,

+ ramirezbroz on February 7th, 2011 at 9:19 pm said:

just tell me the price and realease date and ill get it for sure

+ NEIKO98 on February 8th, 2011 at 5:59 am said:

Jeff were you able to try the ngp?

+ NEIKO98 on February 8th, 2011 at 6:03 am said:

I have the psp go and it sucks. Is it going to be better than that?

+ Grexotic on February 8th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

Why am I afraid of wearing down the sticks?

+ KurdForever on February 8th, 2011 at 3:19 pm said:

I think that this is going to be one of the best devices that is going to be built. i also think that it is going to be 10 times better than a 360, no affensse, but 360 sucks.
couple of question
1. is the apps or gps or online going to be free
2. how long is the battery life
3.why cant it be like a psp go, u kno like how you flip it to reveal the button
4.why doesnt it have 3d
5. will it be able to play COD

+ dragon_frost on February 9th, 2011 at 8:26 am said:

@Jeff Rubenstein…

1.Please tell me there’s some sort of force feed back like dual shock inside NGP?

2.Please reconsider the $300 price to $250 like 3DS or $240?

3.Hasn’t sony learned anything from their own pricing mistakes with the PS3 launch & the PSPgo’s launch?

4.Lastly didn’t sony realize this is why ds out sold psp by a large margin because the price point & multiple price drops.

P.S..I would appreciate it if all my questions would be answered asap & not ignored.

Thank you!

+ O-BP on February 10th, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

ARM® Cortex™-A9 core (4 core)
Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth)
5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED
Multi touch screen (capacitive type)
Multi touch pad (capacitive type)
Front camera, Rear camera
Built-in stereo speakers
Built-in microphone
Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope,
three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass
Built-in GPS
Wi-Fi location service support
Mobile network connectivity (3G)
IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi)(Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR (A2DP/AVRCP/HSP)

+ O-BP on February 10th, 2011 at 3:08 pm said:

just thought u guy would want to know that

+ MarkASpacco on February 10th, 2011 at 5:30 pm said:

My question is a simple one, What is it going to cost me to get my hands on one of these. 1k, 2k, 5k I cant go much higher so please give me a place to meet and the account to wire the cash…. I gotta have one the day it hits the shelf………….. I am not picky I will take a used protoype….
Thanks for keeping us up to date and I am counting the days……

+ Shadow2Star on February 10th, 2011 at 6:53 pm said:

Seriously? T.T this always happens to me.. I buy a portable console, and within the next month there’s a new/better one out. I bought the nds a week before nds lite came out (i was too young to figure out to search things first) then I searched for portable ps’s and found the 3000 and the go, i liked the 3000 and saw the go as a new thing, but I got the 3000, and now there this that the news of it comes out only 2 weeks after i buy the 3000. T.T this suxs. lol

+ mosley on February 10th, 2011 at 9:05 pm said:

I was thinking the “PSP NOW” would be a good name.

+ Havoc_Black on February 12th, 2011 at 1:06 pm said:

What is that device at 3:33 (kinda reminds me of virtual boy but works and cool looking)

+ cheetofun11230 on February 14th, 2011 at 1:43 pm said:

I have the PSP-3000 and the PSPgo and im able to download demos,games,movies,etc. to my PSPgo that I downloaded on my PSP-3000 under my account.Can you do the same with the NGP?

+ HOTDAM6969 on February 14th, 2011 at 11:47 pm said:

3G is really unnecessary. but im still gonna buy it unless it has an outlandish price tag like $500. anything below that i will pay if i got the cash

+ catwasey2 on February 20th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

hello Kaz Hirai. . . just want to ask you that i am really a big fan of sony playstation and sony’s all products.. i have everthing from handheld to tv’s, device and so on . . .
u can say everything that sony made till know i had it…
i would like to know when will sony be launching the product “SONY PSP2” code name “NGP”. . i have promised to all my 7 children to give them a special gift in the last of month of may . . .
So please reply soon.
Thank You !!

+ pedrov718 on February 21st, 2011 at 4:23 pm said:

+ coryyumk on February 27th, 2011 at 1:45 pm said:

i like the resolution that the ngp has, 960×544, perfect for porting games, perhaps we could even play games on ngp straight from our ps3

ill get one just to see what cool stuff i can do with the hardware

+ xxnubk1llaxx on March 2nd, 2011 at 1:14 pm said:

Will their be online for the call of duty. That’s expected to come out.

+ TomHoang on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:44 am said:

Saw this on the SCEAblog Youtube earlier.

+ PatriotEyez27 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:48 am said:

Day 1 buy Kaz!

+ Link01 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:53 am said:

I just need a price point now :D.. or at least I need to know it won’t be $300

+ ATOMS11 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Is NGP still just a code name or is it official?

+ Xoombie503 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

it will be over $300 people,what did you expect? ipads and tablets are more expensive and they offer you shiiit

+ jimfear on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

so kaz.. There will be no RIIIIIIIIID RAAAAAACER this time? :(

+ NoGodsOnlyMan on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

Kaz speaks English?

Love you man, NGP DAY ONE!!!!!

+ Xoombie503 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

i hope they call it next generation playstation portable=ngpsp

+ perrandy on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

the device looks pretty good! but again i’m gonna wait to see how it really pans out with respect of pricing and software.also,i couldnt understand what he was saying in this interview because the volume was too low?

+ Korbei83 on February 2nd, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

It’s going to be a very interesting E3 this year.

+ Butters360 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:01 pm said:

Just give me a release date and retail price and I am more than sold. In other words, gimme mah PSP2!

+ jimmyfoxhound on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:02 pm said:

You get to talk with the Kaz man himself and you wear plaid?? Come on Jeff, don’t you have a nice dress shirt or something? Just kiddin! haha cool interview!

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

Haha, it was a new plaid shirt though!

+ remanutd5 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

im extremely excited about NGP , i hope sony manage to price it right to make the system very competitive on the market , i know it has a lot of new technology on it and the specs are really something but price is everything in the world we live in nowadays , ps3 is a perfect living example of that , dont make the same mistake twice .

Jeff is the friends app the same friends list on our PS3s? what about Trophies ? are they gonna mix together with the ps3 ones ? , does the system have speakers ? how 3G is gonna work ? who will be providing the service in the US ? are Killzone and Resistance part of the launch line up ? is the system coming this holidays to the US ? does it have a better web browser ? man i cant wait to have 1 on my hands

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

All will be answered in time.

+ TheJak21 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Week 1 buy for me SONY, 1 love and God Bless. Thanks so much for the interview and always keeping us commited PS gamers in the loop.

+ TakiFuGu on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

That was a decent interview Jeff. Thank you for the hard work. I only felt that it was decent because, you didn’t ask some of the main questions that the majority are contemplating.

1. Price
2. Battery Life
3. How is 3G/4G will be handled? Free?
4. Why no 3D support? Sony is big on pushing $3,000 3D HDTVs.
5. When can we expect an actual NGP name announcement?

Jeff Rubenstein's Avatar

+ Jeff Rubenstein on February 2nd, 2011 at 3:06 pm said:

As I said in the preceding paragraph, I know there are certain things not revealed on unveil day, like questions 1-5. In time, your questions will be answered.

+ Cat_Corye on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:13 pm said:

Hey Jeff,

Question you should ask is if it will be able to do Hulu/Netflix on it.

+ KazeEternal on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

The big questions for me:
1. Price
2. Extensible Storage media (MicroSD?)
3. Internal Storage
4. Mini-HDMI OUT (please say yes, no next gen portable should be without this)
5. OS UI details (XMB Mode? or at least something more customizable than what I’ve seen that isn’t ugly and poorly organized. Look to android and innovate please)
6. Square Enix projects

+ DrApollo on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

very excited by this. I love my ipad too btw…worth 475$…but hop this is under $300. At a 250$ I think it will do well up against the 3ds in terms of sales. $300 seems most likely though.

+ Seahawk313 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:15 pm said:

Hopefully it doesn’t set me back $400.00

+ Zezzler on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

Awesome vid Jeff. I really like what i see with the NGP. the software seems there, the hardware is DEFINITELY there. Now i just have to see if the price is there ;)

How come they went with the PSP 1000/3000 look instead of the PSPgo sliding screen look?

+ Azfargh on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:17 pm said:

I hope there will be an app store, because this is a versatile and there is much more to do besides gaming.

Oh yes…

2.battery life

Main reasons for the decision to buy or not the FIRST model (until a “slim” version comes out).

+ Kirkpad on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:18 pm said:

EXCELLENT video. The system looks top notch. I hope it has WPA-Enterprise wireless internet support like the iPod Touch does. It will be a no-buy if it doesn’t have proper support for that kind of thing.

+ DaWolf619 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

Day one buy! I’m saving money now, cause whatever the cost, I’m going to want a ton of games to go with it. CAN’T WAIT!

+ syk1288 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:19 pm said:

@ Zezzler: The analog the NGP has wouldn’t be able to be done on a PSPgo sliding look.

+ OnePieceAnime on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:20 pm said:

I want a price point. We can assume that the release date will be around November of this year. I purchased my PSP Go, but now that I hear they have backwards compatibility with PSN titles, I am sold. I really want to know if it has built in memory though.

Also, Kaz Hirai speaks some incredible English. He seems very well spoken.

+ Wipeoutt31 on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:21 pm said:

Of the 3 Execs, it looked like Jack hadn’t slept in days.

+ Lirion on February 2nd, 2011 at 12:21 pm said:

This is the first handheld I have been so hyped about. Looking forward to E3.