PS4-Infamous

MotorStorm Apocalypse Video Interview

James Gallagher's Avatar + Posted by James Gallagher on Feb 08, 2011 // Blog Manager, SCEE

Last week, we invited a bunch of journalists to join us at the Classic Car Club in London’s trendy Shoreditch to celebrate the upcoming release of MotorStorm Apocalypse. There was a presentation and live playthrough of a brand new track, loads of 3D TVs to play the game on and some fairly spectacular burgers.

While it was all being set up, I sat down with the Assistant Game Director Simon Barlow to chat about online multiplayer, the challenges of moving to an urban setting and the sheer scale of the arcade racer coming exclusively to PS3 in March.

Yes, it was pretty cold in there.

+ G-Force08 on February 8th, 2011 at 10:35 am said:

Hearing about all these games in 3D really makes me think about getting a 3D TV these days. Too bad they’re hella expensive and I’m hella broke.

At least I’ll still shovel out some funds to support you guys and your amazing work on these games. Keep it up. Excited to play both on and offline. 2 player split-screen and up to 16 online :) sweet.

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 10:38 am said:

Thanks for your support!

+ Jdot-Mattinson on February 8th, 2011 at 10:37 am said:

Online sounds like it will be a blast, yet again. I loved Motorstorm and am loving Pacific Rift even more.

Will the AI drivers be on a “rubber band” where they are always right behind you, no matter how good you do?

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 11:49 am said:

Keeping that trend going, hopefully you’ll love Apocalypse *even more*! :)

The AI has been overhauled for MotorStorm Apocalypse so that it behaves more realistically and, importantly, so that it can’t do anything that the player can’t do.

+ arkard1000 on February 8th, 2011 at 10:50 am said:

well, i just have to say, i´m very exited for this game! looks really great, and the idea of dynamic destruction around it´s awesome, i hope it won´t disappoint me like other racing game title.

so i hope the give us a demo like pacific rift!

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 11:55 am said:

You will be able to get a taste of the racing action closer to release – look out for news on a demo on the blog closer to release!

+ Jdot-Mattinson on February 8th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

I forgot to mention, I’d love a port Arctic Edge to PS3, even if it’s only a PSN title or something.

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

Perhaps you could pick up the PlayStation 2 version (if you have a backwards-compatible PS3)?

+ erick_34 on February 8th, 2011 at 11:00 am said:

can’t wait for this game

+ TheGuardianFID on February 8th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

This game is gonna be Freaking Awesome, just like the first two!!! 8)

+ remanutd5 on February 8th, 2011 at 11:12 am said:

hey Jamie are we gonna get any Motorstorm NGP game ? since NGP is supposed to be powerful enough to run ps3 games at a lower resolution why dont you guys port Motorstorm Apocalypse over ? lol im Motorstorm junkie ( its my favorite new IP from sony this entire generation ) and i really loved Arctic Edge but there is no psn friends list on current psp and thats why i stopped playing online , anyways i hope Evo support NGP since Big Big is doing Little Deviants .

back on topic i have 2 copies pre ordered already , online sounds good , driving wheel support? playstation Home support? any limited collectors edition in the making ? i won a Motorstorm Pacific Rift tshirt but its not enough i want my Motorstorm buggy car lol , any online multiplayer demo coming soon ? why is the game being release a month earlier in europe ? man that sucks big time , anyways cant wait !!!! LUNATICS UNITE!!!!

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm said:

There’s no news on NGP – the team here at Evolution Studios are completely focused on bringing an intense and robust MotorStorm Apocalypse experience to PlayStation 3 first and foremost!

I’ve mentioned previously that driving wheel support is something we’re really keen to deliver, but only if we can make it work well and are satisfied that it enhances the experience overall. You’ll have to “watch this space” unfortunately! Plans for PlayStation Home and downloadable demos will be revealed separately too… :-)

+ Robbie_G_lrish on February 8th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

I love gambling! That feature sounds great. This will be the first racing game I buy since Wipeout Hd Fury.

+ LUGIEZ on February 8th, 2011 at 11:58 am said:

Indeed! It sounds like the multiplayer will be a big step up from Pacific Rift with the chips system! I am looking forward to getting into the new Motorstorm world this year! And by in I mean in 3D! thank you credit card. lol, seriously, what would I do without it. good thing I have a long life expectancy.

James Gallagher's Avatar

+ Jamie Brayshaw on February 8th, 2011 at 11:48 pm said:

It will be a big step up; It’s a much deeper and more rewarding experience overall, and in 3D there’s nothing else like it!

+ Enkei-Xpress on February 8th, 2011 at 12:06 pm said:

Can’t wait to pick up my copy! :)

+ DA_SHREDDER on February 8th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

“If you can you should try to experience the Apocalypse in 3D – it’s incredible. :-)

Thanks for your support!”

I bought a 3-D tv just for this game. Thank you!

+ wolverine81 on February 8th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

@Jamie Brayshaw

Thank you for finally responding to a question about the AI. Myself and others have asked about the AI and an update to it repeatedly, without any response. I wasn’t gonna pick this game up because of the AI, but if it’s fixed then I just might! I’ll have to give the demo a go. Thanks again!

P.S. – Out of curiousity. What position do you hold with Evolution Studios?

+ DA_SHREDDER on February 8th, 2011 at 1:16 pm said:

BTW, I think it would be cool if you guys would like the characters that ride the atv’s and bikes to ability to do tricks too.

+ JoeDuke4 on February 8th, 2011 at 1:22 pm said:

Sounds great! The Motorstorm is my favourite arcade racer of all time, keep up the great work!

+ Kegs11 on February 8th, 2011 at 1:32 pm said:

@4
word of warning if your getting the arctic edge ps2 version, in the eu the pal copy is unplayable on backwards compatible ps3, i know ive tried it. but theres nothing to stop you getting a ps2 and composite multi out (the rgb one) for big screen subzero storming. hope that helps more!

+ X_Chimer0s_X on February 8th, 2011 at 1:56 pm said:

If I buy a copy of the EU version of the game ( I prefer the cover art and it comes out a month earlier) will I be able to play it online with other NA users when the servers for it go live in April?

+ halophiliac on February 8th, 2011 at 2:24 pm said:

wow, betting on races sounds friggin sweet. I know right now I’m going to be broke the entire time and loving it.

What would be so amazing would be if you could create teams. And then you could be on team performance too. I really hope this betting thing takes off.

+ boxmyth on February 8th, 2011 at 2:56 pm said:

People! 3D TV’s are coming down in price all the time. I was able to pick up a 42″ 3D Panasonic for $900 from Amazon and it’s absolutely gorgeous (btw, I prefer plasma to LCD).
I wanted a new TV that had 1080p and was 42″, but when I found one with 3D as well, at that price, I had to buy it.

Now both the new Motorstorm and Uncharted games will be 3D for me.
Can’t wait!

+ PhantomOfPanton on February 8th, 2011 at 3:05 pm said:

Damn! 900??? Thats a good deal! I was planning on buying a HD tv soon but I think I will wait for 3D to go down in price! :D

+ x-former on February 8th, 2011 at 3:13 pm said:

No more rubberband AI confirmed!!!!

Already was..but let me just reiterate: Day 1 purchase!!!

PS: Jamie, i read somewhere that MS:A will have custom liveries?? Can you confirm or deny?

If so how do they work exactly?

+ NorthernLitez on February 8th, 2011 at 3:20 pm said:

All Motorstorm games have been great so I’m sure this is going to be the same..thx for the update.

+ halowars7 on February 8th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

Awesome interview! and can’t wait to play Motorstorm in 3-D!

+ Seventy_X_Seven on February 8th, 2011 at 3:40 pm said:

I’ve always loved MotorStorm. The campaign was intense, the wide range of difficulty as you progress is so massive that no matter what your skill level you will be able to find those races where it’s neck and neck the whole time (instead of alot of racers where you lead the pack from lap one to the finish line).

I however was one of those guys intimidated by online, especially with Pacific Rift. Pacific Rift it was all about winning, and if you didn’t come in a high enogh position you’d lose poins. Despite being able to Platinum in the game, there’s always those crazy racers that are perfect at every track and you simply can’t beat them, which drove me away. This betting system sounds like it cures that probably really well!

+ BlueBl1zzard on February 8th, 2011 at 4:28 pm said:

Happy to see this game has split-screen online. Hardly any games now have split-screen period.

+ theultimatenub on February 8th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

cant wait to get this game ever since i saw the trailer i wanted to get it

+ CelicaCrazed on February 8th, 2011 at 5:18 pm said:

Hopefully the perks aren’t too overpowered. I don’t want to be beating people solely because I’m a higher rank or losing because others have put more time into the game like in Assassin’s Creed. It’s a problem I’m finding with too many shooters these days. I’ve always preferred when higher ranks give you nicer/better aesthetic options (a la Warhawk).

Other than that, it’s sounding awesome! I was never really interested in the previous two games but this one has caught my attention.

+ BaSeBaLlKiD721 on February 8th, 2011 at 10:36 pm said:

MARCH?!? I thought the release date was April 12th, DID I MISS ANYTHING?!?