PS4 - Transistor

Tales From Space: About a Blob Hits PSN Today, is Growing, and Growing, and Growing…

Chris Harvey's Avatar + Posted by Chris Harvey on Feb 08, 2011 // CTO & Designer, DrinkBox Studios

Hello humanoids! I’m happy to be sending you a message from across the Internets. It’s a very proud day for the team here in Toronto, because today marks the general release of our first game, Tales from Space: About a Blob. PSN users in North America can pick up the game today exclusively, and European users will see the game released tomorrow. If you haven’t heard of our title yet, allow me to tickle your brain. About a Blob is a game where you play as a little blob that grows and grows until he consumes the world. We like to think of it as a puzzle-platforming game set in a 1950’s monster-movie. Your goal is to get from the beginning to the end of every level by eating and growing, and along the way jumping, running, and squishing through puzzles and bosses.

Tales From Space: About a Blob (Biggish Blob)Tales From Space: About a Blob (Bigger Blob)

In the beginning of the game the blob has only his wits, his ability to spit objects, and his infinite appetite at his disposal. As the game progresses the blob also attains the powers of magnetism and electricity.

Since we haven’t focused on it on before, in this post I want to touch on the kind of size changes the blob undergoes in the game. At the start the blob is around the size of a marble, but by the end he’s absolutely huge. As the blob gets bigger he can eat bigger things, jump higher and move faster, and as a result previous threats suddenly become inconsequential. Above, for example, you can see the blob as he starts in one of the levels. He’s about the size of the people nearby, and while he would certainly intimidate me, he’s not monstrous. A little while later however, you can see the blob is able to make things much less comfortable for the people around him.

Tales From Space: About a Blob (Large size)

The blob’s size is potentially limitless, and below I’ve provided a preview of some of the scales you play at. In the game the blob goes from threatening cockroaches, to people, to buildings, to cities, to the Earth itself.

Tales From Space: About a Blob (Large size)

Tales From Space: About a Blob (Huge size)

We certainly hope everyone enjoys the game, and you should all know that DLC is forthcoming. There are Home Rewards in the game already, and additional items should appear in PlayStation Home soon. A free theme will be provided to PlayStation Plus users, and of course we’ll have a Dynamic Theme, Avatars, and Wallpapers. Most importantly, there will also be in-game DLC, both free and for-purchase, which we’ll start revealing over the next few weeks. Finally, if you’re interested, every week for the next while we’ll be talking about the process of building the game on our development blog at http://www.aboutablob.com/.

Thanks for reading!

+ Saruga on February 8th, 2011 at 12:02 pm said:

Very cool. I’ll have a look at the demo I got from Plus.

+ polo155 on February 8th, 2011 at 12:08 pm said:

yes this type of games are fun, i recieved it via ps plus “Automatic Download” last week, thank you.. i love waking up to surprises!

+ ArcaneAltair on February 8th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Looks good. I like to support indie devs. Might give this one a try.

+ shadysaiyanz on February 8th, 2011 at 12:10 pm said:

Looks interesting, May check this one out :D

+ Anti-Steven on February 8th, 2011 at 12:12 pm said:

Already bought it,and I definitely recommend it. Even though i’m not normally into side scrolling platformers, the style and controls won me over. Here’s to more games from DrinkBox!

+ KwietStorm on February 8th, 2011 at 12:14 pm said:

I enjoyed the demo last week, but 15 is too much for this type of gameplay. I thought it would be $8-10. I MIGHT have got it with Plus discount.

+ Chuckbait on February 8th, 2011 at 12:25 pm said:

Grooovy, looking forward to the demo. Though probably won’t buy until it goes on sale. Good luck with sales!

+ G-Force08 on February 8th, 2011 at 12:42 pm said:

I purchased this last week since I have PS+. I must say, I’m enjoying it very much.

Chris Harvey's Avatar

+ Chris Harvey on February 9th, 2011 at 11:54 am said:

Thanks for the support!

+ SOOPERGOOMAN187 on February 8th, 2011 at 12:43 pm said:

$15 is expensive. Pass, great lil game but the price is too high for something that I will have finished in just a few hours. Replay value guys…..

+ AguilarX on February 8th, 2011 at 12:45 pm said:

i really wish i could buy this game right now, but $15 for an indie game is really a lot. considering all the jam packed titles coming to ps3 this year, this might get lost in the shuffle. i know you guys need help, but we also need to budget our gaming money. don’t worry, day 1 buy on psn sale from me.

+ ShadowOfEden on February 8th, 2011 at 12:50 pm said:

Too… many… indie… games…

Will be hard to get my play time around all those awesome games!

+ Sindred on February 8th, 2011 at 12:55 pm said:

Demo was amazing. A must have title!

+ usedtoiletpaper on February 8th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

Looks pretty cool.

+ T3mpr1x on February 8th, 2011 at 1:30 pm said:

I was playing this game with some friends after we watched Jaws on Netflix. It was hilarious! We were laughing ourselves silly after I got large enough to consume cows, which I promptly shot out of the blob haha.

+ Dojan123 on February 8th, 2011 at 2:22 pm said:

Nice demo. I hope they do well but not worth the $15 to me. I have too many games I am still playing. I will wait for it to drop to under $8.

+ Sneeches on February 8th, 2011 at 2:50 pm said:

this game is alright, but way too expensive!!! If it was 9.99$ i’d buy it, but i dont feel its worth 15$.

+ Berae on February 8th, 2011 at 3:42 pm said:

It looks interesting, Ill try the demo.

+ Demonhunter84 on February 8th, 2011 at 4:00 pm said:

$14.99 is alot for this game, maybe if it were on sale I would get it for $7.99 maybe $9.99. Looks interesting hopefully a demo drops for non Plus subscribers today.

Chris Harvey's Avatar

+ Chris Harvey on February 9th, 2011 at 6:00 am said:

Hi,

Yes, the demo is also now available for everyone.

+ HBtaj2000 on February 8th, 2011 at 5:06 pm said:

I can’t decide between this game and Plants VS. Zombies. If they were cheaper, I’d buy them both.

+ GEARS72 on February 8th, 2011 at 5:25 pm said:

People should really check it out, to my surprise this game was very fun!

+ EJStrat on February 8th, 2011 at 6:30 pm said:

Well, they made this available to the general public, but that’s all they’ve done so far with today’s scheduled update… Whats goin on here?! I want my demos and my stacking!!!!

+ musicman1234 on February 9th, 2011 at 11:04 am said:

I adore the sci-fi look..I can tell your influences and inspirations.I just bought it 2 hours ago..Its killer.

Chris Harvey's Avatar

+ Chris Harvey on February 9th, 2011 at 11:45 am said:

Thanks!

+ musicman1234 on February 9th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

Oh..keep those Home rewards comming..That is a big plus..\
Ty again

+ musicman1234 on February 9th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

Also,please do something in Home with a Science Fiction Look Chris.Dark,blacklight..glowing 50′s era..you know..lol.
Forgive me posting so much..LOVE the way this game look in higher levels man!!

+ dragonfly31677 on February 10th, 2011 at 1:18 pm said:

i want this game Sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad!!!

+ nerdmanwhippy on February 12th, 2011 at 10:04 am said:

Tis a shame this really would of been a day one for me but $14.99 knocked it out of the running. I’m not saying this game doesn’t look good however $14.99 is steep for the psn, especially for your first title. Too many games are available that are flawless games that cost less.

As long as I’m not overwhelmed by games I’ll eventually give it a shot if it ever goes on sale for $9.99 or less other wise no go. Heck the guys over at Curve studios have been working on their project forever and managed to release it for $9.99