PS4 - Transistor

In the Trenches with Killzone 3, SOCOM 4 and the PlayStation Move Sharp Shooter

Richard Ho's Avatar + Posted by Richard Ho on Feb 10, 2011 // Associate Product Marketing Manager

Hi everyone! My name is Richard Ho and I’m part of the SCEA marketing team that has brought you familiar peripherals such as the DUALSHOCK 3, Bluetooth Headset and Surround Sound System. Back in December we showed you the new PlayStation Move sharp shooter and its compatibility with Killzone 3. Today, we took some time to walk you through the sharp shooter’s anatomy and show you how it works in action with two of our most anticipated games – Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4: U.S. Navy SEALs.

The PlayStation Move sharp shooter’s authentic design allows you to literally take aim and move into the firefight with the most intuitive and immersive control experience for shooter games. For those of you FPS fans on the fence about the sharp shooter, here are a few things to consider:

Developers for Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 have created their games with the sharp shooter in mind. There are customization screens available to adjust the sharp shooter settings which will allow for a perfect gaming experience.

The PlayStation Move sharp shooter enables easy access to the navigation controller and features easily accessible buttons (use of the extension connector to map the motion controller buttons onto the body of the gun). Extra features such as the reload button, pump-action grip, and firing mode selector give you additional in-game options to play with. The digital trigger allows for short pulls – meaning faster firing compared to manual triggers. An adjustable shoulder stock increases comfort for those long play sessions. Finally, you can customize the gun with included Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 stickers to suit your taste.

With the more than 50 supported PlayStation Move games available, there’s definitely something for everyone to enjoy. For the hardcore gamers, rest assured that Killzone 3 and SOCOM 4 will not disappoint! The sharp shooter is only $39.99 (MSRP) and will be available at the time Killzone 3 launches on Feb 22, 2011. We can’t wait for you to test out the sharp shooter for yourselves. When you do, let us know what you think!

+ halophiliac on February 10th, 2011 at 8:44 am said:

has anyone tried the move with the kz3 demo yet? Is it any more accurate than time crysis was?

Is it accurate enough to use a scope?

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 8:52 am said:

@erick_34 i’m just saying i know i can’t use the nav stick and press the x button at the same time to jump. can you?

yes, the x button on the nav probably does work to jump, but you can’t also be using the stick at the same exact time to move + jump.

@halo yes, i played the entire demo on the middle difficulty with move. worked great IMO.

+ Omen_20 on February 10th, 2011 at 8:56 am said:

lol, that was my thought, did he really just say that :P

I have to say when I first tried Move in KZ3′s beta I was disappointed. It seemed like a bounding box would never work, and that a fixed reticle was the only way. Last night however I got in the mood to try it, if even just to screw around. After playing with the settings for a while I started getting able to move around just fine, no over compensating with the cam. Once I noticed that, I switched to the shotgun to better my quick aim, while also making it a little easier. I also lowered the bot count some, to minimize the mayhem.

After a little bit I started doing reflex shots I had never been able to do before with a controller. It was because I started to memorize the bounding box. Next step was playing with the Scout’s first single shot rifle, and the medic burst ISA. I’m still not big on attacking using motion, but reloading with a flick is awesome.

I can say I’m very excited to get the sharpshooter and try it out. My only concern is that KZ3 didnt seem to work well with direct aiming, but works great with casual aiming when propping your arms on your knees. It’s odd because The Shoot has perfect direct aiming.

+ NO_FEAR on February 10th, 2011 at 9:04 am said:

This looks very well adapted for shooters. Kudos for the design concept!

My only issue is still the way the move controls are set up in these shooters. I still don’t get why we can’t set the bounding box to a pin point. It’s an option that shouldn’t effect people who don’t want it set that low. It’s one of the features they got spot on in Modern Combat Domination.

I would only be interested in buying one of these if I were planing on using the Move for these shooters. From what I tried with MAG and Killzone I’ll be sticking to the dual shock.

+ remanutd5 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:05 am said:

i have a question im playing the Killzone 3 single player campaign with the move , i wanna know whats the best setting for Deadzone Width and Deadzone Height ? i have them really low , 0 , 0 is that good ? what are those options anyways ? demo really surprised me by the way

+ radiantshadow92 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:07 am said:

@52

It depends on your tv and the distance you are from it.

+ Emadeowa on February 10th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

Dang thats a nice SharpShooter $39.99 not a bad price point but like others have said I’d love too see a bundle KZ3 or SOCOM4 with the SharpShooter for $89.99.. I already have the Move Wand and Nav so i’m GTG..

+ Omen_20 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:10 am said:

@remanutd5

I set my height to 60, width to 40. They are the size of the bounding box. Once you hit the edge of the box you start moving the camera. So I set the height a little higher so I could look up at rafters, and down below me without the camera moving; quick shots. I set the width lower so I could start turning without throwing the controller to the left and right. I also lowered the turning speed though so I can move smooth and gradual while strafing.

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

@dh4645 ok I will not discuss more waiting to come out the gun and you’ll realize that it can be controlled either because sony is not going to sell something defective just have to wait to come out you can be right and I can also be right but no conclusion can be drawn until it leaves the gun ok?? ^_^

+ adolson on February 10th, 2011 at 9:15 am said:

I was very skeptical about this (and any) Move peripheral. I’m not sure I’ll drop $40 on it, but I can at least understand those who do, for a change. I’d love to try it, at least.

+ Zilas on February 10th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

Been trying to get this answered in Killzone/Sharp Shooter related PlayStation Blog post but with no luck, so lets try again…I been asking if we wound be able to map “Jump” to another button (like square or triangle) but after trying the new beta I can see we can’t. So that leaves the “Jump” button on X.

That’s fine if you have the PlayStation Move in your hand but when using the Sharpshooter your only access to the X button is on the navigation controller (along with the circle button).

To push the X button we will need to let go of the analog stick on the nav controller. How will the user be able to jump over obstacles? If your left handed this would be even a bigger problem. This is an issue and needs to be addressed.

This is not just a problem with using the Sharp Shooter with Killzone, this could be a problem for any other games that don’t let you re-map all the controls. So if SOCOM uses the X to jump then we are stuck in the same situation.

Richard Ho's Avatar

+ Richard Ho on February 10th, 2011 at 1:42 pm said:

When using the sharp shooter, jump has been re-positioned to the Square button making it easy for gamers to run and jump at the same time.

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:24 am said:

@omen_20 i think i have my move settings at 10, 10, 20, and 40. at the defaults, it was too slow to move around.

@erick_34 i hope you are right and there is a way to move + jump at the same time. with the nav in my left hand….with my left thumb, i can’t move the stick and hit x at the same exact time to jump in a certain direction. it’s about impossible. so i use x on main move controller, which will not be feasible with the sharpshooter since the move controller is way at the top away from your fingers.

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:25 am said:

@zilas yes, we have been asking that on this post since page 1

+ RavageHeitaro on February 10th, 2011 at 9:26 am said:

i’ve been following this since it was first announced months ago but that sweet grenade button below the trigger is something i didn’t know before watching the video.

Love the way Sony is tailoring the Move to suit the needs hardcore gamers.

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:29 am said:

@Ravage, that button is grenade for socom 4, but cover for killzone 3

+ remanutd5 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:34 am said:

at Omen_20
wouldnt that settings make you move slower?

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:36 am said:

@dh4645 you what you’re trying to say is that when I touch you’re not going to jump because you have your finger on the stick that is not problem because you have 5 fingers on each hand and I think you can jump and move pressing the x and shake the gun at the same time that is a solution

I do not want to continue arguing with you because the moderators are going to throw at 2

+ remanutd5 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

at 62 DH4645 yes i have my setting 0 , 0 , 40 , 40 because i feel i can move faster but im gonna try Omen setting to see the difference

+ Kirkpad on February 10th, 2011 at 9:37 am said:

I was really expecting this thing to have force feedback… :(

+ cell989 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:38 am said:

now this is a decent peripheral, day one for me + Killzone 3

+ Zilas on February 10th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

@dh4645

I realize that, and I been asking this question since they first announced the Sharp Shooter.
The more people posting about this issue the better chance we have at getting an answer.
But I bet we wont… …

+ Omen_20 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

@remanutd5
It allows me to start turning sooner, but slower, yes. I’m getting better at flicking to turn exactly, so I may wind up boosting the speed some, as I get better.

+ cell989 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:39 am said:

@69
The move controller already has force feed back

+ felkor on February 10th, 2011 at 9:40 am said:

@eric_34 – Spend some time playing the Killzone 3 Beta using only the nav controller X button to jump, and you will quickly come to see where these concerns people have are coming from.

If you can really control the analog stick and get some other finger to hit that x button, the more power to you – your fingers are much more nimble than mine.

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:41 am said:

@erick_34 they are not going to kick us for discussing something. i am not arguing, are you? jeez.

do you even have the nav controller? pick it up in your left hand and try to move using the stick and hittng x at the same time. if you can do that, then you have some different shaped hands and fingers than me.

where the x button is located, u can’t hit it with any other finger while holding it with your left hand….and probably cant do it with your right had either.

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:43 am said:

@zilas ok gotcha. yeah, it would be nice to have an answer

+ beastbarbour on February 10th, 2011 at 9:45 am said:

still a little ifffyy on this tho, really hope theres a booth or something set up at best buy to try the sharp shooter.

+ tender_surrender on February 10th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

Jumping with the nav controller is doable…i move forward with the tip of my thumb and press x with the middle section of my thumb…its not easy but i jump foward all the time…i’m using the E3 gun attachment at the moment.

+ Brameriz on February 10th, 2011 at 9:47 am said:

I’m gettin this enough said #TeamBON

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:49 am said:

@dh4645, @felkor I only say that there must be a way that one can jump and move to the same time that Sony is not going to sell a defective gun waiting to come out the gun and then speak who can not speak without knowing but I’m sure will be able to jump and move at the same time

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:50 am said:

@tender wow, i can’t. it shoudl be easier than that.
i’m guessing you cant jump backwards

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:51 am said:

@erik_34 i hope you are right

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 9:52 am said:

@tender_surrender thax I have the reason you can jump and move at the same time but is a bit difficult

+ shawtymann on February 10th, 2011 at 9:53 am said:

I just ordered one from Amazon!

+ jmanxp on February 10th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

very cool i hate to say it but “gotta catch em all” lol so yea i want it

+ felkor on February 10th, 2011 at 9:55 am said:

@tender_surrender – do you think you would still be able to do that if you were left-handed?

@eric_34 – I believe you’re right, but I think as someone who plans on putting down $40 for it, someone could give an official response to how this issue is resolved… I customer should be able to be confident in his or her purchase.

+ aro52 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:02 am said:

Since it’s coming up,
The settings I’ve been using to great success are: 0,0,0,70

+ tender_surrender on February 10th, 2011 at 10:03 am said:

@dh4645 i can actually jump in any direction even diagonals. the thing that helps is that jumping in this game is a bit laggy so you don’t have to be pinpoint on the timing. it just takes practice…but i still hope you can customize buttons for Move in the full game

+ tender_surrender on February 10th, 2011 at 10:05 am said:

@felkor i think it would be alot harder for left-handers…i find reaching for the O button hard enough on its own…i miss it alot when grabbing items

+ dh4645 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:06 am said:

@tender ok thanks. i’ll have to try it some more, but hopefully i wont have to do it that way with the sharpshooter

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:07 am said:

@dh4645, @felkor you see tender_surrender gave me the reason and you will see that you can jump and move at the same time with the gun and also without the gun

+ TheGuardianFID on February 10th, 2011 at 10:09 am said:

I spent about 10 hours last night on the FREAKING AWESOME K3 beta and demo, I have the sharpshooter pre-ordered, good times!!! 8)

+ felkor on February 10th, 2011 at 10:12 am said:

@erick_34 – I have tried it myself and it is very difficult. tender_surrender himself admitted that it would be extremely difficult to do if you’re left-handed.

+ Zilas on February 10th, 2011 at 10:14 am said:

@erick_34

Your right, Sony is not going to sell a defective gun, in fact this isn’t really a Sony issue. Its the developers. They need to allow for full customization when using the PlayStation Move, or we will have problems like the ones we are bringing up now.

+ Airwalkinman17 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:21 am said:

after seeing the few couple videos, especially this one i’m pretty excited for it. pre-ordered kz3 and socom 4, might pick up the sharp shooter too! :D

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:23 am said:

+ FfoegNosnibor on February 10th, 2011 at 10:24 am said:

Gun looks awesome. I can’t wait to stand in front of my TV with a white gun and a pink dot at the end. I’m glad there is still room in the video game world to look like a total nerd (This is a positive comment!).

I’ve been playing single and multiplayer KZ3 with the move and I am downright impressed how well you can dial down the sensitivity and look/aim.

I too am concerned about jumping. Perhaps this could be patched in as another gesture (I know the game is gold). Is there a gesture assigned to twisting the move to the left (as in the opposite of reload)? This game has a lot of potential, I just hope the jumping can be fixed.

There was an Ars article where the reviewer liked the move setup because it showed him how often he’d have to take his thumb off of the right stick to reload. I hope the jumping issue can be dealt with easily so that I never have to move my thumb from the nav controller’s thumb stick.

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:27 am said:

@felkor ok maybe you’re right in what you say but there must be an easy way to jump and move at the same time whit the gun and I’m sure will be able to and sorry felkor i not see your comment @86

+ erick_34 on February 10th, 2011 at 10:28 am said:

sorry felkor i not see your comment @86

+ WISHUWUD on February 10th, 2011 at 10:29 am said:

I think $40 dollars is a lil to high. 19.99 would be a good price. I have the move with the nav. Not trying to pay an extra 40 for a gun.. Its real nice tho