PS4-Watch_Dogs

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together – Your Questions Answered

Sonia Im's Avatar + Posted by Sonia Im on Feb 14, 2011 // Assistant Director of Public Relations, Square Enix

And I’m back with part 2!

Most of the questions were answered by a variety of the development team members, along with a few from me (i.e. PSN availability). Hopefully this last part will cover off on the remaining questions you had.

Well, that’s all from me on Tactics Ogre: Let us Cling Together. Thanks for all of the questions and feedback… and most importantly… HAVE FUN!

What is the retail price going to be? Will it get a digital release?
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will be available at retail and via download on the PlayStation store for $39.99 on Feb. 15.

Just so I’m totally clear, does this series have anything to do with Final Fantasy Tactics? The art design looks kinda similar.
Tactics Ogre was created by the same core team that created Final Fantasy Tactics. Hiroshi Minagawa, Yasumi Matsuno, Akihiko Yoshida, Hitoshi Sakimoto, and Masaharu Iwata all worked together to bring the world of Ivalice to life in Final Fantasy Tactics, and have reunited again to create the amazing world that Tactics Ogre takes place in. The art design you recognize is probably that of Akihiko Yoshida, who has worked on a variety of Square Enix titles, including Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story, and of course Final Fantasy XII.

Review_Battle22Review_Battle02

Is a collector’s edition on the way, and will it include the OST?
Unfortunately, there is no collector’s edition planned for North America.

Are those Tarot Cards, which I cannot find any info on the official site of, part of a collector’s edition package?
The Tarot Cards are our special gift to fans of Akihiko Yoshida and Tsubasa Masao and are available for those that preorder the game at GameStop and Amazon.com.

Do the tarot cards come w/ instructions on how to use them?
As there is such a variety of ways to use tarot cards, we’d like for you to enjoy them the way you like best.

If this is coming to PSN for PSP Go users who will get screwed out of the awesome Tarot Card Deck will there be any PSN exclusive DLC for this?
Since the Tarot Card deck was a pre-order exclusive for GameStop and Amazon.com, sadly the answer is no.

Will we be getting the free DLC that’s been announced for Japan? If so, will it be on the UMD or will it be downloadable post release?
In the North American edition, the free DLC that was released in Japan will already be included in the game (in both the retail and PlayStation Network versions). This means players can enjoy the extra scenarios without having to download them later; they are immediately available to play.

Review_Menu03Review_Event01

Bet you thought I disappeared without delivering the developer Q&A I promised a while back… Sorry it took so long — the team was entrenched in development, so it took a while to catch up with the director of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together, Hiroshi Minagawa.

Before we get to the Q&A ,a quick note from me to Minagawa-san: Thank you so much to you and the team for making Let us Cling Together everything we had hoped it would be (and more)! :-)

Now, without further ado, here are answers to some of your questions.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP

How much of the original team, if any, is actually involved with the remake?
Hiroshi Minagawa, Director, Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together: Besides Yasumi Matsuno, who led the overall game design and gameplay scenarios, the composers Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata were involved, and from our Square Enix staff we had myself and Yoshida Akihiko (artist). Additionally, we had members who are the heart of the Final Fantasy Tactics developers and other staff members who have partaken in the development of the Ogre Battle series, but not Tactics Ogre specifically. We also have new team members who enjoyed playing the game and are now putting in that strong passion as developers of Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together. Surprisingly, those new members who were merely players of the original game remembered the finer details more so than the original development team.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSPTactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP

Could you talk about the localization process? In comparison to previous Ogre Battle Saga games released in North America, are the changes (names, dialogue, and so forth) made to more closely reflect the original vision?
HM: Joseph Reeder and Alexander O. Smith led the localization for this title. Joseph and Alexander are among the best in our translation staff and have worked on other titles such as FINAL FANTASY XII and Vagrant Story. From the early development stages of the Japanese version, the two chatted online with Yasumi Matsuno directly when examining character and class names. In the original version, there were strict word limitations, but in this title we were able to localize Yasumi Matsuno’s scenario and worlds in the best possible form.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together for PSP - Tarot Cards

So what’s the relation of tarot cards to this game? Is the game steeped in the supernatural?
HM: Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together has two new systems named after the tarot cards called the “C.H.A.R.I.O.T.” (Combat History and Refined Implementation of Tactics) in which players are able to take back moves, and the “W.O.R.L.D.” (Ways of Reordering Life’s Destiny) system in which players can turn back time with their current party. Each action is a system that changes a destiny, and together we call the two systems the “ring of destiny.”

The Tarot cards play an important role in the game – the game starts by asking players a series of questions based on the tarot cards. Tarot cards are also essential to getting specialty items. Based on the answers given by the player, the main character’s parameter varies in the beginning of the game. But rather than worrying about the minor details, we want you to think about the choices and make the decisions in the game.

Does the development team plan to work again on new episodes and do they have a vision for the saga as a whole in terms of gameplay and story?
HM: I would like to say that we do, but because there are strong feelings associated with the series, I don’t want to do a half-hearted job. As a graphic designer, I wanted to express Ogre Battle on a console system, but that would mean an even tougher job requiring more staff members. This was the first time we were able to gather a team of people who have had significant involvement with the Ogre Battle series, and the team we gathered was larger than we had expected.

However, I feel that gathering another team in the future would be difficult due to everyone’s schedules. Given the chance, I would like to work on the continuation of the series but cannot officially talk about it because of the timing and scheduling conflicts. However, the Ogre Battle Saga plotline lies inside Yasumi Matsuno’s imagination. Yasumi Matsuno designs games by having a game system and then creating a plot and scenario based on that game system. Because his style is to create more content as he goes, there is no clear-cut vision for the saga as a whole. On the other hand, we dream of many things, but I wonder if we can make it a reality during our lifetime…

+ boxmyth on February 14th, 2011 at 4:42 pm said:

With all the other awesome games coming out this year, I can honestly say I was looking forward to this more than any of them.
Can’t wait until tomorrow. PSP is charged and ready to go.

+ Chrystolis on February 14th, 2011 at 4:48 pm said:

The main thing I’m curious about that I have yet to hear any info about:

Will the game also be released on the PSN store for download?? If so, tomorrow?

Looking forward to the game either way :D

Sonia Im's Avatar

+ Sonia Im on February 14th, 2011 at 9:40 pm said:

Yup! Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will be available on PSN Day/Date :)

+ leonhart9876 on February 14th, 2011 at 5:01 pm said:

Boy oh Boy, cant wait til tomorrow to play this game. Looks Absolutly incredable. And thankyou for giving us a bonus item for the U.S. Also any word on those 4 psone classics like threads of fate, xenogear, legend of mana, and vagrant story? I never have played them in the pass just if you could give us a heads up when those and possibly other square enix titles will come the the playstation store. “Saga frontier Wink Wink”

+ metaly on February 14th, 2011 at 5:02 pm said:

There are so many other great games out this month, but I’ll be playing this above all else. Can’t wait.

+ Hooligantuan on February 14th, 2011 at 5:04 pm said:

Silliest subtitle ever.

+ Anddo on February 14th, 2011 at 5:09 pm said:

Tomorrow is going to be great! Thanks for bringing this to PSN.

Tactics Ogre wins February.

+ SarshelYam on February 14th, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

@2 – Jeff Rubenstein was already quoted as saying it would be available on the Network with the Store Publish. I’m not sure, but that about solidifies things wouldn’t you say?

+ ThreeLeggedFreak on February 14th, 2011 at 5:32 pm said:

Hey SE how about putting The 3rd Birthday and Kingdom Hearts on PSN? Or how about Dragon Quest and Chrono PS1? Get it together.

+ SolidSnakeSSx on February 14th, 2011 at 5:36 pm said:

Hooligantuan, it’s worth noting that ‘Let Us Cling Together’ is a reference to the Queen song ‘Teo Torriatte (Let Us Cling Together)’. Yasumi Matsuno (Tactics Ogre’s creator) is a big of fan of theirs. He’s known for including references to their songs in games that he’s worked on. It might not make the subtitle sound any better to you, but it shows that it isn’t something random that they put together.

+ perrandy on February 14th, 2011 at 5:47 pm said:

heard that this game’s difficulty level is kind of high.is this true?:0

+ JHS200 on February 14th, 2011 at 5:50 pm said:

Why is it that kiddy Nintendo DS gets the good SE games, while the PSP gets whatever’s left?

+ KwietStorm on February 14th, 2011 at 5:58 pm said:

I never even heard of this game

+ Charles_Surge on February 14th, 2011 at 6:00 pm said:

I don’t know anything, but I hope Matsuno & Co. can keep getting resources to make the games they desire. My pre-order just shipped from Amazon, cheers to all the work put in here. I know that many fans are hugely excited and very appreciative.

+ Robbie_G_lrish on February 14th, 2011 at 6:10 pm said:

I can’t wait to play this game. I’m glad it’s going on PSN because that’s the only way I would buy it. Thanks guys.

+ Folkenhellfang on February 14th, 2011 at 6:27 pm said:

This game was never announced to be a PSN release before this week as far as I had seen, but had been sold on PSN in other regions. The 3rd Birthday has the same history so far, so despite the reports that there will be no digital version of it, I think there is every reason to believe that on March 29th there will be a version on PSN. Keep the faith, and cheers to Tactics Ogre on PSN.

+ NAMEK on February 14th, 2011 at 7:34 pm said:

Haven’t played this type of game on the PSP since Jeanne D’Arc, looks promising.

+ TallCrowe on February 14th, 2011 at 7:52 pm said:

I will get this when I have a job or money…whichever comes first.

+ KazeEternal on February 14th, 2011 at 8:01 pm said:

“Joseph Reeder and Alexander O. Smith led the localization for this title. Joseph and Alexander are among the best in our translation staff and have worked on other titles such as FINAL FANTASY XII and Vagrant Story”

Why did I cringe when I read this….. if it’s over the top thick like FF XII I may have to skip this one.

+ northen_cail_209 on February 14th, 2011 at 8:07 pm said:

cool, add me if u got any of these

fight night round 4
fat princess
high velocity bowling
wipeout HD
warhawk
motor storm: pacific rift

+ zenitram_27 on February 14th, 2011 at 8:28 pm said:

srpg is probably my favorite genre and this looks awesome. i love these games on my psp. cant wait to pick this up

+ matahtak on February 14th, 2011 at 9:15 pm said:

Have this pre-ordered and I can’t wait to play it! All we need now is Ogre Battle released for the PSP!! :)

Sonia Im's Avatar

+ Sonia Im on February 14th, 2011 at 9:38 pm said:

And for your most FAQ- Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together will be available on PSN Day/Date :)

+ LordAbsu on February 14th, 2011 at 10:01 pm said:

I want this so badly………………!!!! (@_@)

Day One PSN purchase!

BTW, this next store publish would’ve been a great time to release Vagrant Story. In conjunction with TO: LuCT, it could’ve served as a celebration of sorts of all that Yasumi Mistuno has contributed to kick-ass gaming.

+ JanuaryEmbers19 on February 14th, 2011 at 10:20 pm said:

@11

You have got to be kidding, right? I would trade every single SE game on DS (including Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX and Final Fantasy III and IV) for this game. Calling this game “whatever’s left” is either thick sarcasm or just plain ignorance.

+ Boss_Tycoon_ on February 14th, 2011 at 10:35 pm said:

Looking forward to this game!

@11 Looks like you haven’t played Crisis Core, Dissidia, or KH:BBS.

+ BlackIceJoe on February 14th, 2011 at 11:03 pm said:

I so hope Tactics Ogre sells really well so that there can be a sequel on the NGP. Plus I hope you remake Vagrant Story next.

+ JHS200 on February 15th, 2011 at 12:07 am said:

@24
@25

It’s an opinion. I don’t like button mashers like Crisis Core, Dissidia, or KH:BBS. I like turn based strategy.

I purchased Crisis Core and literally threw it across the room.

+ darkmark1987 on February 15th, 2011 at 1:37 am said:

how much will the game cost on psn?

+ KongWen on February 15th, 2011 at 5:35 am said:

I’m going to be honest, I don’t care about any of your answers to any of these questions. The reason: I preordered two copies of this game when it was announced. TO and FFT are two of my top two favourite games of all time.

+ Faria1st on February 15th, 2011 at 6:42 am said:

I swear you guys are going to force me to buy a PSP even though I really can’t afford it. As much as I enjoy my PS3, the PSP’s JRPG and turn-based library is so much better.

+ Motherboop on February 15th, 2011 at 7:51 am said:

The store can’t update fast enough tonight :) Tactics Ogre, portable, High-end game that can be played anywhere. It’s games like these that make the PSP Go worthwhile.

+ iisc2k7 on February 15th, 2011 at 9:16 am said:

Glad to see this get a PSN release.

Is there any news on a PSN release for KH: Birth by Sleep? I want that game!

+ relevantbandit on February 15th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

What time is the store going to update?

+ Hope_Estheim on February 15th, 2011 at 1:24 pm said:

I’m wondering the same thing, because it still isn’t on the store… maybe it’ll be on there tomorrow?

+ Egz-Onine on February 15th, 2011 at 2:15 pm said:

Intriguing.

+ makoto788 on February 15th, 2011 at 5:28 pm said:

Almost 8:30 on the east coast US, still not on the PSN store :( I’m hoping the poor, or likely just lack of, process for releasing software via the PSN Store is cleared up by the time NGP releases.

Maybe tomorrow… sigh.

+ VikingCat87 on February 15th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

Where the hell is this game? I went out to buy a psn card just for the release! I’m not mad, just very very disappointed….

Sonia Im's Avatar

+ Sonia Im on February 15th, 2011 at 11:45 pm said:

In case you’re having a hard time finding Tactics Ogre on PSN please search for “Tactics” and it should show up. Thanks for the tip kagekiri37!

+ kagekiri37 on February 15th, 2011 at 5:56 pm said:

For some reason, Tactics Ogre wasn’t filed under T in PSP games or under New Releases for PSP, either, but I just did a search for “Tactics” and it was the first result.

That seems like a bug.

Oh well, just search tactics to find it, and download away!

+ Enigma777 on February 15th, 2011 at 7:16 pm said:

What’s with all the PSN hate from Square Enix?! First Crisis Core never gets put on, then Birth By Sleep gives it the cold shoulder and now I hear that the 3rd Birthday won’t either?!

Honestly, what is wrong with you? Do you not want my money that bad? And you wonder why people turn to piracy…