No Man's Sky

FINISH HIM: How to Make a Killer Fatality for Mortal Kombat

Steve Beran's Avatar + Posted by Steve Beran on Feb 15, 2011 // Director of Art, NetherRealm Studios

Mortal Kombat: Liu Kang fatality

Fatalities are back and better than ever in the new Mortal Kombat! Ever since 1992’s Mortal Kombat, fatalities have gotten a HUGE fan reaction. The new game’s fatalities are the most lethal, elaborate, and quite simply the best we have ever made. We are sure that the fans are going to love what we have come up with in the new Mortal Kombat.

Ed Boon and the rest of the MK team knew that returning to a Mature game rating – PLUS the tremendous graphic improvement and new technologies we now have access to – would let us take fatalities to an unsurpassed level of unimaginable brutality. Additionally, we wanted to make sure there were a ton of fatalities for all of the iconic warriors in the game (with two fatalities, minimum, for every character) as well as fatalities for some of the dynamic environments. There is a looot of content for players to uncover – and we finally had plenty of time to build it all!

Mortal Kombat: Fatality Sketch (1 of 3)

The fatality development process is extremely collaborative. In the past, we didn’t start designing and implementing fatalities until the majority of the game was finished. But with this game, the team began working on fatalities early in the development cycle in order to have the maximum amount of time to come up with ideas and polish them. Fatalities are born in the dark recesses of the designer’s minds – each fatality always starts with a general idea from [Mortal Kombat co-creator] Ed Boon and the designers. They basically lock themselves in a room for hours and lay out all of their ideas. Once the meeting begins, one brave soul is the first to share a sick and twisted way for the player to finish off their opponent, and the process begins.

Mortal Kombat: Fatality Sketch (2 of 3)

Inspiration can come from anywhere – gruesome murder news stories, old horror movies, and actual nightmares have spawned more than a few of our most disturbing fatalities. There is a usually a lot of “You know what would be cool…” and “What if…” The designers pantomime many of the motions for that fatality and the reaction of the other team members in the room determine whether a fatality is good enough for inclusion in the game. Ideas with the strongest team reactions are the ones we all build on and polish into a final concept. Ed then goes on to storyboard each fatality for the motion-capture session.

Mortal Kombat: Fatality Sketch (3 of 3)

The motion-capture sessions are a dynamic experience involving two people that act out each fatality over and over until they perfectly capture the movements needed to make the fatality look as realistic and awe-inspiring as possible. From there, our magicians in the animation and cinematics groups add the look, feel and special effects that take the fatalities from a motion-captured wire frame to a graphically intense piece of in-game content.

As a team, we review each step of the process many times in order to make sure each element looks as impactful as possible. Once the fatality meets our quality requirements, we pass it along to our audio group so that they can take the piece to the next level and create horrifying sounds to add the final touch of atmosphere to the piece. Finally, it is given back to the designers who embed the fatalities in the game in preparation for players around the world.

Mortal Kombat: Pit fatality (1 of 3)Mortal Kombat: Pit fatality (2 of 3)Mortal Kombat: Pit fatality (3 of 3)

Fatalities are truly one of the most collaborative development efforts and are a great reflection of the vast amount of talent we have working on the game. We want to ensure that fans get the Mortal Kombat they have been waiting for come April 19th. I wish I could show you some examples of our new fatalities, but because we’re bound by certain advertising guidelines we are only able to show them after you pre-order at GameStop. Once you pre-order, you will be emailed a code that you can enter that into a widget in order to view some of the great fatalities in the final game. You can see more details here.

53 Comments

PAGE 1 2

+ Basindo on February 15th, 2011 at 11:02 am said:

I wanna get this game!!!! Not really for $60 though. Still have to buy UC3…Infamous 2…Twisted Metal…on and on and on

+ Mosqutus on February 15th, 2011 at 11:05 am said:

I want this game too. I also want all the pre-order DLC. I hate how we have to choose where to buy from. I hate shopping at Amazon and Best Buy. tell me there will be something for us Playstation Plus members.

+ Nader-Abudiix on February 15th, 2011 at 11:06 am said:

thats looks awesome :D. Can you please post some kratos screens ? show us some valentines day love :P

+ Basindo on February 15th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

But seriously this game looks and probably will be awesome. I wish there was Move support though, I need more games for it. Plus it would be sick to do like Sub-Zero’s ice beam thing with Move lol

+ FireDragonGod on February 15th, 2011 at 11:08 am said:

I’ve Gotta Get This Along With 10 Other Games Dis Year, But I Have No Money :(

+ BShornock on February 15th, 2011 at 11:10 am said:

I got my Tournament Edition Preordered I want the stick!

+ SolidSnakeSSx on February 15th, 2011 at 11:11 am said:

Any chance of a pre-release demo?

+ cordmovies on February 15th, 2011 at 11:17 am said:

I CAN’T WAIT!!!!!!!

+ Trixzter7 on February 15th, 2011 at 11:24 am said:

Day 1 purchase!
Can’t wait to use all the fatalties!

+ Enforcer_X on February 15th, 2011 at 11:26 am said:

Very insightful post, was a pleasure to read.
Can’t wait for the come back of MK!

+ TrueFFVIIFan on February 15th, 2011 at 11:33 am said:

Will your “Behind-The-Scene” look in DVD have subtitle? I hope so because I have been a huge fan of your series. Please SAY YES!!!

+ MoneyMaker110 on February 15th, 2011 at 11:35 am said:

i want those book/game ends

+ Dardantuan on February 15th, 2011 at 11:37 am said:

I’ve been a huge fan of MK since day one. Spent all my lunch money in junior high playing the original at the pizza joint next to the school, when I should have been IN school. I haven’t been this excited for a new game in a very long time. Can’t wait!

+ THE-D1RTY-77 on February 15th, 2011 at 11:47 am said:

games definitely a flawless victory…and with kratos, its a double flawless…

+ bonemandust on February 15th, 2011 at 11:59 am said:

MORTAL

+ necroticart on February 15th, 2011 at 12:00 pm said:

Got the Tournament Edition preordered and paid for. Thanks, for give us more to look at until release. Also I was wondering what exactly is the DLC in the 2 premium editions of the game and do you guys have any idea when we will be able to get a hold of all the costumes I’ve got the game coming from Gamestop but I’m also a huge subzero fan.

One other thing any way we can get a PSD template for the arcade stick I want to add my own art not that yours looks bad I just want something more traditional.

+ theultimatenub on February 15th, 2011 at 12:16 pm said:

i cant wait to get this game also very interesting post

+ LostAtNight on February 15th, 2011 at 12:36 pm said:

That is one badass fatality. Can’t wait to see Sub Zero’s and Kratos’.

+ arbdef on February 15th, 2011 at 12:38 pm said:

Man Mileena has no butt

+ timmy19888 on February 15th, 2011 at 12:44 pm said:

looks boring like the other mk games.

+ Butters360 on February 15th, 2011 at 12:46 pm said:

Badass Scorpion Fatality. I can’t wait to see what Kratos can do. Hopefully PlayStation Plus users can get a demo early.

+ Sub-Zero on February 15th, 2011 at 12:54 pm said:

I win! Fatality

+ GameOverSuckas on February 15th, 2011 at 1:11 pm said:

I just wanna play the Beta before anyone else gets it. Any news on Beta codes coming out for this?

+ Stealth1986 on February 15th, 2011 at 1:12 pm said:

I’m so gonna buy this game! It’s gonna be AWESOME!

+ KidCommando on February 15th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

Test your might!

day 1

+ Robbie_G_lrish on February 15th, 2011 at 2:28 pm said:

I wish you guys would get Christopher Lambert to do Raiden’s voice. I hope I can get a 3dtv by the time this comes out. I was wondering if you could maybe preview some of the audio tracks that will be in the game next time you post on the blog. Thanks.

+ NeoMahi on February 15th, 2011 at 2:58 pm said:

The human body actually only has 8 pints of blood.

+ mixedkidbx on February 15th, 2011 at 2:59 pm said:

This is the true MK game i have been waiting for since the arcade days of MK, MK II, MK III, & Ultimate MK III.

Thanks for bringing back the series i loved as a kid.

I had to pre-order both the MK Kollectors and MK Tournament Ed just so i could have all of the kontent. I just wish you guys would have really put more thought into the fans who would have wanted both editions and made an Ultimate Ed kontaining all of the stuff in both editions.

Im glad to have been supporting MK for all these years, even thru the horrible MK vs DC game with the watered down fatalities.

I look forward to many great years with the MK of the future, which is the MK of the past. :)

+ xTybe on February 15th, 2011 at 3:03 pm said:

Come on give this MOVE support, and Id buy it. It would give me a reason to use the damn move lol. I love the ps3, but the move has been a huge disappointment (it works great but theres no good reason to use it!!) Its gimicky for shooting games, but perfect for these types of fighting games!

+ ZFM12 on February 15th, 2011 at 3:15 pm said:

One Word: Refund. Ok, Two Words Refund Money, Oh yea

+ xMONSTERx on February 15th, 2011 at 3:38 pm said:

Already paid for the PS3 Tournament, Kollector’s, and standard editions with all the DLC’s! Plus I’m getting the Blu-ray for the Jade DLC, and the Signature edition strategy guide!

I’m so ready for MORTAL KOMBAT!!!!!!!!!!

+ juggalokenny on February 15th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

i have the Tournament Edition preordered and paid off. if i win another 500 at the casino befor the release i may get a 2nd one and hold onto the fight sticks as they may be worth something someday

+ Berae on February 15th, 2011 at 3:43 pm said:

I’m buying this game, always been a fan and the new things looks nice. I only have 1 complaint tho I wish you would have add more new characters and remove the ***tty ones like Johnny cage.

+ Berae on February 15th, 2011 at 3:57 pm said:

btw just watched Noob Saibot video and hes awesome!

+ Xoonaka on February 15th, 2011 at 4:20 pm said:

“Fatalities are truly one of the most collaborative development efforts and are a great reflection of the vast amount of talent we have working on the game.”

It’s a shame that the least interactive part of the game is also one of the most collaborative efforts on the game. It’s an important element to be sure, but I’d like to see some more about the collaboration on the actual gameplay. Like designing out and balancing movesets; things of that nature.

+ killa1b91 on February 15th, 2011 at 5:17 pm said:

I reserved this a month ago! XD can’t wait!

+ TheHakku on February 15th, 2011 at 5:20 pm said:

The Steve Beran. Holy #@$%.

+ DCS-Tekken on February 15th, 2011 at 5:37 pm said:

Game doesn’t need Move Support! It already has 3D Support and thats enough!

Theres no reason to make us go out and buy a Move if we don’t have one. And so far no Fighting Game needs a Move!

Nuff Said!

By: DCS

+ shredder110 on February 15th, 2011 at 6:08 pm said:

Whoever wants this for the move is asking for a beatdown cuz you’re gonna be tired after the first round lol. I have mine paid off. Eventually through DLC I hope every character & level are in the game plus TONS of costumes. Even new characters & levels. Keep pouring out the blood people bwa ha ha ha *dies*

+ blackdragon_qc on February 15th, 2011 at 6:48 pm said:

the xbox 360 is better , buy halo reah u noobs

+ ElektroDragon on February 15th, 2011 at 7:52 pm said:

I thought this would be about how to actually PULL OFF these incredibly difficult, undocumented moves in-game! Come on, this isn’t 1990. Tell us how to pull them off, and don’t make them impossible to do.

+ spunnups on February 15th, 2011 at 7:58 pm said:

@19 yeah, give her a booty!

+ shredder110 on February 15th, 2011 at 8:31 pm said:

@40 You feel better now? That is pointless to mention Halo on a Mortal Kombat blog

+ webhead0716 on February 15th, 2011 at 9:32 pm said:

Extremely Pointless….

+ Tribulation__ on February 15th, 2011 at 9:49 pm said:

I hope eventually they bring back custom Fatalities, But make it so that each character have their own unique sets of moves to put together so its actually different for each character.

+ Kchow23 on February 15th, 2011 at 11:29 pm said:

good old storyboarding

+ GDot80 on February 16th, 2011 at 6:31 am said:

finally a good mortal kombat game is getting released

+ warrior_of_uae on February 16th, 2011 at 7:04 am said:

im getting kollectors edition marvel vs capcom wasnt good enough but MK always good

+ smokingagain on February 16th, 2011 at 8:28 am said:

Thanks allot NRS !

I cant wait for this game to come out. Always been a huge fan of the series!

The Noob video was awesome too! The moves look really great, and the xray is really good!

I have the Kollectors edition preorderd, and cant wait to get my hands on it!

+ Rheath87 on February 17th, 2011 at 3:39 pm said:

I hope that this is way better then the other ones! I fell off MK since triogy. GG!

PAGE 1 2