Driveclub

SEGA Genesis Collection Coming Exclusively to PlayStation Plus Subscribers for FREE!

Grace Chen's Avatar + Posted by Grace Chen on Feb 16, 2011 // Sr. Director, PlayStation Store

Hi everyone –

Gaming has come a long way since it became popular with the release of the Atari 2600. As the industry continued to build steam over the years that followed, we saw some iconic classics emerge. One publisher, SEGA, has definitely had its fair share of games that brought mass appeal in the early stages of gaming.

SEGA Genesis

Whether it was our favorite blue hedgehog or playing couch co-op as two centurions tried to free Zeus’ daughter, SEGA created some of the most defining titles in video game history. Now, the SEGA Genesis Collection is coming to PlayStation Store. Starting March 29, SEGA will be rolling out the SEGA Genesis Collection, including Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Altered Beast, and more. All six of these titles will be playable on the PlayStation 3 and will include trophies. As a special gift and exclusive offer for our PlayStation Plus subscribers, the upcoming games (an almost $30 value) will be available two weeks early and free for one month each to download. To kick off the event, Sonic the Hedgehog will be available a full four weeks early on March 1 to PlayStation Plus subscribers!

View the full list of titles below (including release dates) and enjoy jumping into some gaming nostalgia.

PlayStation Plus Releases (free)

• Sonic the Hedgehog – Available March 1 – April 5
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – Available April 5 – May 3
  • Streets of Rage 2 – Available May 3 – May 31
  • Golden Axe 2 – Available May 31 – July 5
  • Comix Zone – Available July 5 – August 2
  • Altered Beast – Available August 2 – August 30

Regular PlayStation Store Release ($4.99 each)

• Sonic the Hedgehog – March 29
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2 – April 19
  • Streets of Rage 2 – May 17
  • Golden Axe 2 – June 14
  • Comix Zone – July 19
  • Altered Beast – August 16

139 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3

+ Kirkpad on February 16th, 2011 at 2:11 pm said:

Man PS+ is just kicking out these deals. Stacking, Flying Hamster, and more! This is epic.

+ Pulseman on February 16th, 2011 at 2:12 pm said:

Just WOW! This was totally unexpected but totally AWESOME! Very glad I have PSN+ :)

+ tylerh1701 on February 16th, 2011 at 2:13 pm said:

Cool for PS+ members that don’t have the Sonic Genesis collection disc (assuming these aren’t the only free games youll be getting for the next 6 months). $5 a pop for non PS+ members is kinda funny, cuz you can get the disc for like $15 or so.

As for trophies, I assume they’ll be similar to the achievements these games have as individual releases on XBLA, so you can look those up if you would like. It’s funny, I never realized that PSN didn’t have these avaialbe, I guess I just assumed they did.

+ megamixer on February 16th, 2011 at 2:14 pm said:

So instead of putting the actual blu-ray version of the game on PSN they’re instead cutting it into expensive little chunks and releasing each game seperately? That’s an enormous SMH to you Sega. I would’ve re-purchased this collection in digital form (heck 2 year ago on the Sega blog I asked if they could just release it on PSN from the get-go!) but not like this. I’ll begrudgingly stick with my disc.

+ mystery75 on February 16th, 2011 at 2:26 pm said:

Are they playable on PSP? Considering you can earn trophies, I would guess not, but it never hurts to ask. :-)

+ Gamecamiller on February 16th, 2011 at 2:30 pm said:

This rocks! Glad to be a plus member :D

+ Sophrosync on February 16th, 2011 at 2:41 pm said:

Bravo PS+ team! Between this, Stacking and Sam & Max you guys are really delivering some great value for the subscription!

+ NotoriousGamer on February 16th, 2011 at 2:51 pm said:

will plus user get trophies from these games?? these games are not the regular monthly free psn games for plus users right? those are different right?

+ JonJonXD on February 16th, 2011 at 2:54 pm said:

This is awesome :D

+ duke301 on February 16th, 2011 at 3:34 pm said:

First of all, I don’t have as many reservations about PS+ that I had a few months ago. Sony HAS made it worth our while (not to mention our $50) of late with some of the free, discounted, and full game trials that they have offered. But this particular update brings up one the reservations that I have had all along. Anyone who has the particular games that Sony offers for free is SoL. For example, I can already play all of these games because I have the Sonic’s Genesis Ultimate collection (or whatever they call it) that was released about two years ago on BD. So why would I want to download them again when all they will do is take up space on my HDD? This is the part that needs a complete overhaul in my opinion. I don’t think it’s proper to leave those of us who have the free game out simply because we bought it at some point in the past. How about giving us a choice between the Sega games or some of the Neo Geo ones that were added a while ago? Or maybe a free movie rental instead? Grace, I would appreciate a reply here so that at least I know this isn’t falling on totally deaf ears like it has in the past.

+ jqtaxpayer on February 16th, 2011 at 3:47 pm said:

@#110: If you’ve already got it, then Sony has been successful in minimizing the losses suffered by their “deal”. Hope my answer helps — if the past is the best indicator of the future, it will probably be the only answer you get!

+ PSWii2008 on February 16th, 2011 at 4:06 pm said:

I’m confused why you would release each game 1 per month, other than to charge more money for non-Plus people. Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection has way more games than this, and you can get it for under $20! But if you don’t have it, and you have Plus, I guess free Genesis games are nice!

+ AJBS0NIC on February 16th, 2011 at 4:13 pm said:

Like others have pointed out, Sonic’s Ultimate Collection is currently going for around $20 and has over 40 games, including the 6 in the Vintage Collection that are going for $30. The only reason to get these downloadable versions is seemingly to pad out your trophy list (and I guess it opens up the possibility for online multiplayer, big deal). Not to mention that 360 has had these games on the Arcade for like years now. Suddenly this collection is being marketed like a brand new thing?

And for those that want to play these games on PSP, download the ‘Sega Genesis Collection’ (yep, same name) that’s been around for quite a while on PSN and you’ll get around 2 dozen games (including most of what’s on this list) for like $15.

Now if the Sega Vintage Collection expanded into Saturn games, that’d be a whole different story. Who wouldn’t buy downloadable versions of NiGHTS, Sega Rally, Daytona USA, Burning Rangers and Panzer Dragoon Saga??

+ daddyfatsax77 on February 16th, 2011 at 4:14 pm said:

sweet…i love ps plus…its soo worth it!!!

+ Hazelhurst on February 16th, 2011 at 4:25 pm said:

It is going to surreal getting trophies playing Genesis games. I can’t wait.

+ MeeeDizzle on February 16th, 2011 at 4:41 pm said:

this is dumb i have those games already just go buy Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection 20 bucks and u well have all of them plus more LMAO

+ igorrocks2 on February 16th, 2011 at 6:34 pm said:

They are become cool then ever!

+ jmanxp on February 16th, 2011 at 7:12 pm said:

i see and love it go SEGA on PS3

+ ranger69 on February 17th, 2011 at 2:52 am said:

awesome.

+ GrayGhost45 on February 17th, 2011 at 6:45 am said:

If I had spent $50 on a Plus subscription I’d probably look for any reason to feel that my investment was paying itself off too, so I’m not gonna knock on the plus subscribers. I think the real suckers are gonna be the non-plus subscribers who actually buy these titles with the retail of Ultimate Genesis collection at $19.99 new.

+ KainDrake on February 17th, 2011 at 6:54 am said:

I already have these games on Sonic’s Ultimate Collection. Leave it to sega to keep releasing games they already released not too long ago. I’m still waiting for Boogerman and Light Crusader among a few others.

+ NWMN420 on February 17th, 2011 at 10:26 am said:

how about just buy the actual game with 50+ titles for 20 bucks. for those of us without ps+ this is just a waste of time and a waste of server space for the network. thumbs down sony, thumbs down.

+ comicfan007 on February 17th, 2011 at 10:41 am said:

Sweet !!!

+ The_Wacker on February 17th, 2011 at 2:04 pm said:

where’s the psone classic trophies?

+ Hooligantuan on February 18th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

Really wondering why the Genesis Collection currently out on PS3 disc is available for download in the PS Store.

+ Hooligantuan on February 18th, 2011 at 10:45 am said:

Excuse me, is NOT available,

+ Jin_Kusanagi on February 19th, 2011 at 8:49 am said:

I have the Sonic’s Ultimate Genesis Collection, but the trophies for 4,99 somehow attracts me, if they’re different trophies of course XD
Hey I wanna Sonic 3 & Knuckles =D

+ dahoffman on February 19th, 2011 at 9:56 am said:

If I get a threemonth membership, download Free games and dont renew my membership, what will happen to any trophies i earn for those games?

+ lightlock on February 20th, 2011 at 4:03 am said:

this is awesome! im really loving the perks of ps+! :)

+ ODINGameslayer on February 20th, 2011 at 8:07 pm said:

Plus is slowly getting there…just keep this up. Don’t slide backwards.

+ KILLA_KING_007 on February 21st, 2011 at 1:14 am said:

Wow!

+ azariaspice on March 1st, 2011 at 8:58 am said:

I hope they have trophies! <3 I'll get them anyways, but it'd be nice to have a trophy set like XBL has achievements!

+ mirage413 on March 4th, 2011 at 10:52 am said:

Playstation Plus, has done an excellent job with all the neat crazy variety of access to classic’s,upcoming BETA’S,& cool FULL GAME TRAILS. Being a P$+ customer is so GREAT!!! I’ve easily convinced friends and TEAM MATES to conisider the PLU$. Thanks P$N!!!!!!!!!!!!

+ chaos_789 on March 4th, 2011 at 12:53 pm said:

The trophies will remain yours to keep, even if you let the game expire, the only thing that will happen is, after your subscription expires the game just become inactive, it has no effect on trophies you already earned.

+ YungShep on March 4th, 2011 at 1:00 pm said:

STREETS OF RAGE 2!!!!!! WITH TROPHIES!!! WHY MAY THO!!!!!!! REPLACE IT WITH SONIC 2!

+ Monkeyass22 on March 5th, 2011 at 7:33 pm said:

they have it on Blu Ray why purchase it on the store? I feel it is a little pointless

+ Monkeyass22 on March 5th, 2011 at 7:35 pm said:

i have been trying to figgure out why you need to purchase the games individualy when it is a lot easier to just go and buy the disc

+ ItaChu on March 9th, 2011 at 9:42 am said:

you should have put Streets of Rage 3 instead of 2 :(

+ DragonZombieSeed on March 15th, 2011 at 3:00 pm said:

MAN I have been waiting for the Sonic game for a long time ever since my sega broke.

PAGE 1 2 3