Far Cry 4

Access Millions of Music Tracks on PlayStation Network with Music Unlimited – Available Today

Eric Lempel's Avatar + Posted by Eric Lempel on Feb 17, 2011 // VP, Sony Network Entertainment

We’re excited to introduce a new way to experience music on your PlayStation and other Sony connected devices with today’s launch of cloud-based, streaming digital music service Music Unlimited powered by Qriocity. With Music Unlimited, you’ll have access to more than six million music tracks from major recording labels, leading independent labels and major publishers around the world. Discover the latest hits or classic favorites and sync your existing music library with the cloud for an endless custom music experience via personalized music channels and playlists.

Check out the video walkthrough to see how it works:

With Music Unlimited’s Basic service, you can enjoy commercial-free, uninterrupted music across a variety of channels and genres and provide instant feedback on each song to ensure that the service is learning your music preferences and providing the proper recommendations based on your personal tastes. With the Premium service, you can access additional premium music channels, search the entire music database, play songs on demand and create custom playlists.

In addition to PlayStation 3, you may also enjoy Music Unlimited on your network-enabled BRAVIA TV, Blu-Ray Disc player, Sony VAIO or other PC and coming soon to Sony’s other mobile devices, including PSP. Music Unlimited will be available later this afternoon Pacific Standard Time (PST) for 30-day free trial of the Premium service, with monthly subscriptions of Premium at $9.99 or Basic at $3.99. For more information about Music Unlimited, check out the press release.

235 Comments

PAGE 1 2 3 5

+ musicismyradar on February 17th, 2011 at 7:02 am said:

I’m sick of seeing Lady Gaga everywhere.

+ that-acmilan-guy on February 17th, 2011 at 7:06 am said:

I’ll sign up if i have access to old school rock n roll and heavy metal! \m/

+ XMbeaner on February 17th, 2011 at 7:07 am said:

Any idea on when this would be on the PSP? I need my Lady Gaga on the go!

+ musicismyradar on February 17th, 2011 at 7:08 am said:

judging by the video, they’ll have all sorts of genres covered. Looks like a pretty cool service, I’ll check it out. I do wish there was a free version that just played the music that was on your computer, though (I guess that’s what UPnP is for).

+ novij on February 17th, 2011 at 7:09 am said:

Lol get over it, you’ll never stop seeing Gaga.

+ heatseeker on February 17th, 2011 at 7:09 am said:

YEAHHH dubstep playing in the background!!

+ xMEETtheMONSTERx on February 17th, 2011 at 7:10 am said:

what would be nice is if PS plus got the basic service for free and had a discount for the premium still a cool service.

+ heatseeker on February 17th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

Hey Eric whats the name of the song you got playing in the background of this video?

+ Powie on February 17th, 2011 at 7:11 am said:

Seems like the perfect service to give a small discount for PS+ members!

+ PlayEvoinsec21 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:12 am said:

let me guess.. US and Canada only??

+ novij on February 17th, 2011 at 7:12 am said:

Yea all these charges are redic. It’s a really cool feature, but for that I’ll stick to my FREE I-Tunes player.

+ TwinDad on February 17th, 2011 at 7:12 am said:

Isn’t the music market saturated with streaming services?

+ novij on February 17th, 2011 at 7:13 am said:

@heatseeker its the new britney song. lol

+ NcDesertViper on February 17th, 2011 at 7:13 am said:

Pandora FTW!!!

+ breon1239 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

this is relevant to my in-turr-est~

+ favian on February 17th, 2011 at 7:15 am said:

When are you going to update psp and ps3 web browser? Facebook doesn’t even work on ps3… A native YouTube app With HD support would be nice on all platforms

+ m101dream on February 17th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

Why should I pay for music on my hard drive just so i could use the sync service no thanks its not worth my hard earned money . Sony you must think we got money to give you all the time .

+ androvsky on February 17th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

I was starting to wonder when this would go live in the U.S. As I recall, this is using the Ultraviolet backend, so it should be available on an even wider variety of devices… looking forward to an Android client, personally. If anything else needs a decent music service, it’s Android phones.

+ Xer0Signal on February 17th, 2011 at 7:16 am said:

it’s a really nice looking app. looking forward to the 30 day trial, when i get home.

i would love to see this on Android phones. being able to access my home library, through the cloud on my phone, would be kind of amazing.

in fact, that would be a deal-maker right there.

+ Myke-Myke on February 17th, 2011 at 7:17 am said:

Nice Sevice. I’ll give a try.

Could this service be used as custom soundtracks???

+ Senjutsu_Dav on February 17th, 2011 at 7:18 am said:

If I understand correctly this service is cloud only right? But we won’t have a way to download the music to our computer? So it’s unlimited music for my ps3 and PSP (if I have wireless), but if I’m not online, nothing works, right? I suppose that if it’s the case, we’ll need to wait until they release Qriosity to smart phones as well (as an app?), so we’ll at least be able to listen to music at other places than home. Is an app going to happen soon?

Another question of importance. Can we use Qriocity to play songs in PS3/PSP games? Like we can with musics we currently have in our library in some videogames (like NHL).

+ Reginthorn on February 17th, 2011 at 7:18 am said:

Does the service include Tool?

+ SPARDA on February 17th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

VERY nice application……but too expensive I think.

Like someone else mentioned above it would be great for PS+ subscribers to have at least the basic service. I bet that a lot more PSN users would to sign up for PS+ if that was the case.

But great feature… Keep adding cool apps to the PS3

+ emzee83 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:22 am said:

Sounds good but the thing that would make me buy this is if I can play these songs as custom soundtracks for games. Across all games!

+ favian on February 17th, 2011 at 7:23 am said:

So you buy the music once and can listen on any device? Does the music get saved to hard drive? If the ps3 is offline for whatever reason, can I still listen to purchased music?

+ Link01 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

the only problem is… Pandora is free…. this isn’t

+ SUPERGAMER247 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:24 am said:

Come on give ps plus a bundle deal or premium cheaper and basic for free

+ norkee on February 17th, 2011 at 7:25 am said:

So not in Canada? What a shame…..

+ SmooshyKing on February 17th, 2011 at 7:26 am said:

#25:

Unlike iTunes, you don’t actually purchase songs. You’re purchase the right to listen to the entire collection of music. As many songs as you’d like. As many times as you’d like.

As long as you pay the subscription fee.

+ SmooshyKing on February 17th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

..and NO…it’s not available in Canada.

+ SUPERGAMER247 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:27 am said:

Oh yeah I’ll also buy it at standard price if premium can have a channel outside of the app so we can use it as a custom soundtrack somehow

+ NekoNiv on February 17th, 2011 at 7:30 am said:

Nothing released in today’s music, beside MUSE and a few other Groups, is worth paying for…. I can’t see myself paying for this.

+ JinZX1 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:31 am said:

I’m with comment #7. Is there anything in the works allowing PS+ to get basic for free with a discount towards premium? Also, will this work with games i.e. universal custom soundtracks? That would be an extremely high selling point.

I think you guys are doing some groundbreaking work, but it feels like these improvements are just making circles in the Media sector and completely ignoring requests from PS.Blog#ahare and Network improvements altogether.

+ BiezulbubBill69 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:34 am said:

Holy CRAP they showed the Failure “Fantastic Planet” album at 2:48! I used to have that album back in like 1997. That album was AMAZING!

+ S-E-G on February 17th, 2011 at 7:36 am said:

here we go again, adding features nobody asked for.
you guys must think everybody has unlimited bandwidth and unlimited funds.
can you please get rid of the PlayStation blog share section?
it’s going nowhere!!

+ station3fever on February 17th, 2011 at 7:36 am said:

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, make this an optional download. Don’t make it like that silly “netflix” icon on the xmb please don’t. I don’t use netflix and i know i NEVER will. Although my friend loves netflix, point is some people will use it and some people won’t.
The cloud music sounds good but also not for me, i tend to use my 12gb usb stick and play it from there. But my friend will love this hence he was talking about it last week so, i know he will buy something like this :)

Note: i do like that fact that sony is giving us more options, more options is always good to have.

+ WISSKER on February 17th, 2011 at 7:37 am said:

i can’t see the value in a service like this especially since there’s over a 100 million plus iPod owners i don’t know about you guys but i listen to my music when i’m at work or on the train if i do listen to music on my PlayStation 3 it would be for game that allows you to play music stored on my HDD (i.e GT5 and WipeOut HD)

+ Enforcer_X on February 17th, 2011 at 7:37 am said:

If I can upload my entire personal collection i’m sold!

+ KidCommando on February 17th, 2011 at 7:38 am said:

Looks pretty cool. Definitely going to try out the 30-day trial. I am curious to see what kind of selection is available.

If the selection is there and the basic isn’t too basic, then I might bite for $4.

Lupe Fiasco – Lasers – March 8th!

+ Omen_20 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:40 am said:

Apparently most of you did not watch the video. Basic is free and gives you syncing. Premium is just for extra channels and for adding unlimited music to your library.

Basic = radio plus sync
Premium = extra channels, unlimited music to library, and direct search

I for one am glad Sony is giving us a great Zune pass alternative. Now they just need to confirm it on Android phones and I’ll be set.

+ Berae on February 17th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

Nice service,

Only 1 Question for now tho.. Will it be available in Canada too?

+ Omen_20 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

Oh, didn’t realize Basic also charged.. yeah Basic should be free to PS Plus. I would be wanting Premium though anyways.

+ Butters360 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:42 am said:

I’ve been waiting for Qriocity for a long time now. I will definitely be using this. As others have said, $9.99 isn’t too expensive for the premium service but $3.99 for the basic service should definitely be part of PlayStation Plus. I really think that you could entice people to sign up with it.

+ KidCommando on February 17th, 2011 at 7:43 am said:

@ Omen_20

“with monthly subscriptions of Premium at $9.99 or Basic at $3.99.”

Basic is not free.

+ polo155 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

this is very nice and ive been waiting for this, i will be getting this because the cloud based feature speaks for its-self and when i get my NEW NGP it’ll be there too!!

PS# kickin’ [DELETED] lil by lil snow ball is rolling down the moutain.. anyone not onboard Move…. Get Out the Way!!

+ Phoenix8387 on February 17th, 2011 at 7:46 am said:

Will an app be available for Android in the future/soon?

+ cjhauserman on February 17th, 2011 at 7:49 am said:

I think it will be too expensive you will be spending about $50-$120 a year just to stream some music on your PS3. I already have most of my favorite music already on my PS3 and if there is something I want to hear I can just search the internet/youtube to hear it FOR FREE!

Make the basic free for PS+($5-$6 for upgrade) then we have a deal

+ FfoegNosnibor on February 17th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

Will the uploading library program work on both Mac and PC, or are we stuck with the usual .exe only program from Sony?

Is there a way to see what music is available on this service? I checked the website to no avail.

+ NeoHumpty on February 17th, 2011 at 7:50 am said:

Anyone who’s thinking of getting this should check out Pandora. It works on more platforms, basic is free, and premium is under $40 a year. I could only be interested in this if it played in game.

+ Tank_Baked on February 17th, 2011 at 7:51 am said:

This better be available in Canada. Not even so much for me, but we always get left out of things and it’s bull-ish .

PAGE 1 2 3 5